Ticking sound coming from Underneath - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ticking sound coming from Underneath

I have a '12 GT I noticed recently that when im at idle or accelerating I can hear a ticking (I can hear it when I'm next to a hard object that reflects the sound back at me). it increases with rythmically with acceleration.

Its not the standard injector ticking noise these cars have and is definitely not coming from on top of the engine. I can hear it when I get underneath my vehicle near the engine only. I'm sure it's not my catback as that has been checked for exhaust leaks. I plan on taking the vehicle in to the dealer to have them check it but I was looking for suggestions on what I should tell the mechanic to look at.

I was told in these cars sometimes the condensation from the compressor leaks onto the manifold and causes it to rust thus causing a leak which would create the sound. Any validity to that?

Thanks guys
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sure has tell tale signs of an exhaust leak somewhere. Check manifold/headers, and the rest carefully again.
Troy
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well Ford couldn't find any exhaust leak and when they put the scope up to the engine they didn't hear anything ticking in there. So their conclusion was that because of my off-road h pipe it's just amplifying the engines noise that's coming through the headers into the pipes. Does that seem logical to y'all?
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not to me. If they were listening to the engine and didn't here it, I don't believe it would be the engine noise coming through ur headers. Seems to me, u would here that noise up top as well. Not familiar enough with these coyotes yet. Try jacking it up while cooled off. Start and crawl under with a paper towel tube, or better yet a xmas wrapping paper tube and start searching from header to last muffler clamp...including ur o2 sensor connections. I really do think it is still a leak.
Good luck
Troy
Old 12-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sure does sound like an exhaust leak to me. Especially when you say you can hear it tick more when you accelerate. Perhaps the ford techs that looked at your car were in a hurry that day. But as stated before, if they listened to your engine and heard nothing, how will your offroad mid pipe magnify an engine noise that isn't there? Best bet is to take a look yourself.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

They heard the noise, but said they could find a leak anywhere and that the noise they heard was the "lifters" sound I believe being amplified through the off road h pipe.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have the same problem it's like a light click or ticking I hear it on the drivers side I was thinking it was just the exhaust pipes haven't taken it in yet because I haven't noticed any performance issues
2013 FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

Region: Minnesota
Anyone find the cause of this yet?

I have had the same issue with my 2012 5.0 for a long time now, ticking coming from the front drivers side. hear it on cold start or when driving next to a barrier. just curious if anyone has found the cause yet as I know the dealership is going to blame the noise on my aftermarket catback system....even though the noise is coming from the back of the engine area.
davidminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If u have a catback, I highly suspect it IS a leak at the upper flange to the exhaust manifold. Crawl under and look for a white dust stain around it.
Side note... I have about 5k on my exhaust et al and noticed last week a ticking sound. Got under and found a very small white powder stain around one side of the right upper cat to exhaust manifold joint. Tightened up, and gone!
Troy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT