Anyone Install Aluminum Drive Shaft (After) LCA Relocation Brackets? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Anyone Install Aluminum Drive Shaft (After) LCA Relocation Brackets?

When I installed my BMR LCA relocation brackets I had to use ratchet straps to pull the axle forward enough to get the rear bolts in the LCAs.

So my question is: since I'm getting ready to install a DSS aluminum DS do you think it will be a really tight fit or that I may have to undo the LCAs to let the axle move back?

Any info or experience is appreciated.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I recently installed a one-piece aluminum driveshaft in my 2012 Mustang 5.0. I have the BMR upper control arm as well as the BMR lower control arms. There were no issues with the driveshaft fitting too tight, actually I had to lengthen the driveshaft by pulling it to meet the rear pinion flange. You shouldn't have any issues at all as your rear end is not going to move forward or back. It moves up and down as a suspension travels.
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I wanted to update this thread with my experience installing the DSS driveshaft today. Maybe it could help someone here in the future. Every install video/pictures/instructions I found on how to install this did NOT work for me.

I started this thread because I had a feeling I would have some issues because I have the BMR LCA Relocation Brackets (that pulled the axle forward to attach to the LCA's) I didn't have the clearance needed to just remove the stock driveshaft out of the rear of the vehicle like everyone else. No matter what angle we rotated it we couldn't get it out so I loosened the overaxle pipe to axleback clamps and pulled down on the h pipe to get it out.

Then the next problem was that since the new DS is a long one piece it didn't have the bend or clearance to go in either. So since we already loosened the over axle pipes we just removed one of them completely. That is how we made clearance to install it.

You may have a couple more options:

1. I didn't think to try it at the time but maybe loading the rear suspension (which is not part of the install instructions) may give you the clearance to get the old out and the new in.

2. Undo the rear bolts on your LCAs and let the axle move back and that may give you clearance to get the job done. (Make sure you have some more suspension grease if you go this route).

Remember this should only apply to those who have LCA relocation brackets and had to pull your axle forward to install them. So be prepared to execute any of the mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Review: The drive shaft made a significant improvement in acceleration. The car is definitely quicker. I was also experiencing a buzzing noise at around 2700-3000 rpm and it not only got rid of that but the clunking too. The drive train is much quieter and I give this Drive Shaft 10 stars!
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Thanks for the info man. I have the bmr relo brackets as well, and am planning to do the DSS sometime in the near future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT