Broke Down - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Exclamation Broke Down

and ordered an MGW Short Throw Shifter. Now that I have your attention, anyone have any helpful tips or tricks to install this bad boy when it comes in? I waited for a long time to order it because of the possible lead time in making them, and I wanted other things first.... Not sure if I needed it but I did get the deluxe jam nut too, I am trying to keep everything in my car looking like stock, so I am going to reuse my GT Premium Shift knob. So any tips or tricks?
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Region: Texas
It's really not a hard install at all and the instructions that come with them are pretty much spot on. My buddy and I did it in about an hour. If you have access to a lift it would make it easier but we did it with the front on jack stands no problem.
Texas_ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Take your time installing the dust boot and be sure to go underneath the car and check to make its sealed all the way around as shown in the video. I also had a little corner that didn't fully seat the first time I thought i had it on.

Also, it was a little tricky maneuvering the bottom part of the shifter in place by myself while I was under the car. It would be nice to have an extra set of hands to hold it in place while you get the first nut started.

Basically, just take your time, its not too bad of an install. Took me a little over 2 hours, but I took my time and had a few breaks in there as well.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_ford View Post
It's really not a hard install at all and the instructions that come with them are pretty much spot on. My buddy and I did it in about an hour. If you have access to a lift it would make it easier but we did it with the front on jack stands no problem.
Mgw does not come with instructions. You have to go online and watch a video.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
MGW has recently redesigned their shifter so that it's different to the one in their instructional video. The bushings are completely different as is the way the top and bottom of the lower box goes together. They include some supplementary directions with the new design bushings, they now recommend bolting the main box to the support arm first, installing the bushings onto the shifter rod, lining all of that up on the lower closure while raising that up to the in-place main box and assembling everything. Working by myself I found it impossible, either the bushings would slip out of place, the rear one usually falling off and rolling somewhere out of reach. Also the main box, already bolted to the support rotates down and rests on the drive shaft so that you have to keep everything aligned on the lower plate with one hand whilst you hold the main box up off the drive shaft with the other.

What I ended up doing was using a bungee cord, hooked between the shifter cup and the rearview mirror inside the car to pull the shift rod up into the upper box and at the same time lifting it off of the drive shaft. The light upward tension on the shifting rod also allowed me to retain the bushing alignment while I climbed back under the car and raised the bottom plate into position. Worked like a charm. I shared this idea with George at MGW and he's going to try it. you could also use some string to do the same thing I suppose. The key is not to apply so much tension that you snap off the mirror, which is designed to give way in the case of contact with an occupant.

I attached some photos to try and explain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter 1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	143927   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	143928  

MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks, I was worried about that part when I watched the video yesterday. I'm hoping this will be a fairly straight forward install for me, I'm a little worried about taking my shift knob off and possibly messing it up as I want to reuse it, but I will find a strap wrench to use and hopefully that will work.
Maverick2004054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine came off with a good twist, no need for a strap wrench. I think they were referring to the Boss 302 knob in particular as being extremely tight.

The shape of the GT Premium's knob gives you more leverage compared to a round knob.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT