Header Install motor mount question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Header Install motor mount question

Going to install Steeda motor mounts and Kooks super street shorties (please don't turn this thread into a why did I get shorties and not LTs). Lol I am still debating whether to completely drop the K member or not.
Anyhow my questions are:

1. Can I install the motor mounts with the k member off the car? or do they have to be torqued down after they line up with the motor bracket?

2. Has anyone installed these headers on a 2013 GT? any advise?

3. I have been studying the service manual torque specs and k member exploded view but still not exactly sure the best way to remove it. Can't find any good guides or vids for the 11 and up GTs.

Any constructive feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would definitely remove the k member if you are installing headers yourself. I had to with my kooks mid length headers. When you lift the engine up to take out the motor mount brackets that would be a good time to replace the motor mounts. I did this on jack stands in my garage, and it was not fun. Before starting this project make sure to have a set of ratcheting wrenches with flex heads. They will make this project SO much easier.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
I would definitely remove the k member if you are installing headers yourself. I had to with my kooks mid length headers. When you lift the engine up to take out the motor mount brackets that would be a good time to replace the motor mounts. I did this on jack stands in my garage, and it was not fun. Before starting this project make sure to have a set of ratcheting wrenches with flex heads. They will make this project SO much easier.
Thanks for all the info! I have a set of metric flex head ratcheting wrenches 10-19mm I think. Will I need bigger or SAE if you can remember? Also, I image it would be hard to get a torque wrench on the header bolts so how did you tighten them? I couldnt find torque specs or pattern in the service manual.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just used the ratcheting wrenches on the header bolts and alternated bolts while I tightened them. You don't want to tighten header bolts too much or you might strip the threads. I used blue loctite on mine because the bolts are known to back out otherwise. Don't use red loctite or you won't be able to get the bolts back out if you need to.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No need to drop the k-member unless you're installing the Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes. Something striker79 found out. Those Kooks midlength equal length headers are a bear to install.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber blue is correct. You don't have to drop the k member, but it doesn't make it a lot easier to gain access to the header bolts.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Post some sound clips when you are done what kinda exhaust?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JayblesStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to all for your replies. Think im going to drop the k. Im currently running the roush abs but those are gona have to go because i plan on running cat deletes too. I'm leaning towards the gt500 quad tip mufflers and valance set.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT