One piece driveshaft clunking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
One piece driveshaft clunking

I recently got a one piece aluminum driveshaft from american muscle along with 3.73 gears and lower control arms. When I hit a certain bump while driving, there's a clunking metal noise that sounds like it's coming from underneath the shifter. Also when I shift into reverse (auto tranny), it makes a clunking noise. Any ideas on what the problem is?
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What else do you have done to the car? DS Loop? Shifter?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 AM   #3

Region: California
you ever find out? ever since i got 3.55 nd a 1 piece its been making noise going into reverse, gets louder when its colder
redeemer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Is it a 3 1/2 inch or 4 inch driveshaft?
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Personally, that's why I like to make one change at a time... like the scientific method. You all changed gears AND driveshafts at the same time, so its hard to know which one caused the problem.

FYI, many people who change gears complain of noise afterwards.

Far few complain of noise after one-piece DS's. In fact, many people say their clunk(s) goes away after getting a one-piece DS.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have a similar problem, but I have a manual tranny.

My car came with gears from the factory, and I don't notice any clunking when engaging forward moving gears or reverse. Like c_rizzle said, in fact it got rid of the clunk that occurred when shifting gears.

However.... I did obtain a NEW clunk that wasn' t there before. I believe it's the same one you're describing when you hit a "certain bump". I've only heard it maybe 4-5 times in 11-12 months... but since it happened the first time I've been very cautious about avoiding the bumps that cause the noise to occur. The type of bumps that cause it to occur are bumps that compress the suspension, or entering into a steep incline quickly.

I'm not sure if it's the driveshaft, or the exhaust making contact with something because I installed the following mods in relatively close succession:

4/5/2014 - Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - 3800 miles
4/18/2014 - Magnaflow X Pipe & Aluminum Driveshaft - 3900 miles

When I hear the noise, It sounds like it's coming from under the shifter just like you described. Do you have an aftermarket mid pipe installed?

I'm wondering if it's the e-brake mount? I've read that if the car is lowered you need to move the ebrake mount out of the way to avoid contact with the driveshaft.

My car isn't lowered yet... but I wonder if it's still making contact when the suspension is compressed? Dunno.. just a theory....
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
I have a similar problem, but I have a manual tranny.

My car came with gears from the factory, and I don't notice any clunking when engaging forward moving gears or reverse. Like c_rizzle said, in fact it got rid of the clunk that occurred when shifting gears.

However.... I did obtain a NEW clunk that wasn' t there before. I believe it's the same one you're describing when you hit a "certain bump". I've only heard it maybe 4-5 times in 11-12 months... but since it happened the first time I've been very cautious about avoiding the bumps that cause the noise to occur. The type of bumps that cause it to occur are bumps that compress the suspension, or entering into a steep incline quickly.

I'm not sure if it's the driveshaft, or the exhaust making contact with something because I installed the following mods in relatively close succession:

4/5/2014 - Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - 3800 miles
4/18/2014 - Magnaflow X Pipe & Aluminum Driveshaft - 3900 miles

When I hear the noise, It sounds like it's coming from under the shifter just like you described. Do you have an aftermarket mid pipe installed?

I'm wondering if it's the e-brake mount? I've read that if the car is lowered you need to move the ebrake mount out of the way to avoid contact with the driveshaft.

My car isn't lowered yet... but I wonder if it's still making contact when the suspension is compressed? Dunno.. just a theory....
The way the whole exhaust system kind of floats in those hangers (not tightly held) I'm wondering if there's some movement going with the exhaust. A lot of aftermarket exhausts don't use all 3 hanger points either on each side which would allow more movement of everything.

So many variables....

Also, could be suspension related.

Have you checked your pinion angle?

Driveshaft & gear noise (problems) should be most noticeable when changing speed/acceleration.... hitting the gas, then letting off completely, etc... where there's going to be forward & backward.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I had the driveshaft installed by a shop and they checked the pinion angle.

Now you've got me thinking though.... could something be pressing against the catback which in turn raises the mid pipe which cause it to hit something?

Reason I ask when I was creating my build list on AM, I noticed this in the description for BMR UPPER PANHARD BAR SUPPORT BRACE:

Quote:
Reinforces Panhard Bar. Replace that wimpy stock light gauge stamped metal brace Ford installs with their Panhard Bar with a BMR Suspension Upper Panhard Support Bar for additional strength to prevent deflection under load. The passenger side has a slight bend to allow for additional exhaust clearance.
I poked around under there when I was installing my Blowfish bracket to try and determine what/where was hitting and clearance is definitely tight between the 4 inch drive shaft and the 3 inch x-pipe/cat back.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
You sure it's not the endlinks in the ftont?

*edit: sorry I just noticed you said it was from under the shifter.*
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Still having this problem if anyone knows the answer... I was just googling for answers tonight and found my own thread.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So I've been continuing to dig on this... It seems the most likely culprit is the E-Brake mount.... it makes contact.

Some people have grinded away some of the mount and it has stopped making contact.

Apparently it's a pretty big ordeal to move it to a new location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	204982  
Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The plot thickens!

So I was getting my new wheels and tires put on last week and I asked to take a look under the car since they would have it up in the air anyway.

They said they couldn't find anything that was making contact with the driveshaft, and they felt the entire length of the driveshaft and there were no marks....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT