New Clutch/Flywheel Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
New Clutch/Flywheel Help

I want to upgrade my stock 13 GT clutch to stage 3 with a lightweight flywheel and do the install myself.

My problem is being stationed in Germany I am trying to avoid dealing with the local dealership to have the Ford IDS Crankshaft Position Relearn done. I'm not sure if they can even do it. And I have a tune so I'm worried that they may not understand and possibly screw something up.

I've read that some guys that have installed clutches didn't need the relearn.
So my questions are:

1. If I upgrade the clutch but keep the stock flywheel (which i don't want to do) will I still need the relearn?

2. Are there aftermarket flywheels that wont require me to get the Crankshaft/Misfire relearn?

I hope someone with experience can chime in. Thanks!
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yer kinda **** outta luck. It`s fiddling with the flywheel that prompts the need for the relearn. It does not matter what kind, it`s that you mess with the trigger wheel for the crank sensor when you pull the wheel.

It`s a crapshoot whether you`ll need it or not but, given your situation, I wouldn`t mess around with the car too much.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Yer kinda **** outta luck. It`s fiddling with the flywheel that prompts the need for the relearn. It does not matter what kind, it`s that you mess with the trigger wheel for the crank sensor when you pull the wheel.

It`s a crapshoot whether you`ll need it or not but, given your situation, I wouldn`t mess around with the car too much.
I know it's not the most ideal thing to do but do you think upgrading just the clutch will be ok and not need the relearn.

My stock clutch seems to be ok at 20,000 miles but I do drag race about 5 weekends a year and dread the thought of blowing the clutch. I just want to get something stronger in there. The track is about 2 hrs from home and towing ain't cheap here.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude, you're crazy even owning this car in a place where they don't know what it is, much less trying to mod it there.

So, you worry about blowing the clutch, how 'bout your car not starting or worse, starting in a way that causes an engine issue? This car needs that crank sensor profile to run at all.

How 'bout this: I put over 100 passes of full slick launches, (4500-6000 rpm clutch drops) through my Job 1 '12 clutch and it's still just fine. That strong enough for ya? Mods in sig.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I can't stop modding! lol Thanks for the feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT