2011+ jack points - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2011+ jack points

Im doing tire rotation for the first time where is the safest point to rest my jacks stand on? The manual states front tires goes into the rear while rear cross to the front, is that neccessary? If so wouldnt that mean i need to get 4 jack stands and suspend the whole car? ALso wouldnt it make the car impossible to get down since jacking up one point will cause the rest to be unstable and might slip off the jacks? Btw ill be using factory jack. Lol getting aniexty just from thinking about the process
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your gonna get tired with that jack go buy you a nice 3 ton one
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Factory jack is only intended for emergency roadside use. Fastj is right, go buy a real jack. Screw jacks suck donkey balls. As long as the tires are wearing evenly don't sweat the criss-cross rotation, just go front to back.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My tire wear right now is wearing more on the inside on all 4. A mechanic told me is normal wear but could be better. Is this normal?
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I suggest just rotaing front to back. look in manual for jack points
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

tires

You will get longer tire life sticking with factory cross rotating , unless you have directional tires .
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the factory jack locate
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Trunk with your spare tire
fastJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Jesus, just go to a local tire shop and slip the guy a 20 to do it for you; takes 10 minutes with a floor jack and a rattle gun. It really sounds like you aren't certain what to do and fing around with the factory screw jack is asking for it.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Using the factory jack is a dumbass move bud.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
? That's why included it because it was so dangerous and unsafe to use lol smh while it is a pain to manual crank the damn thing I've never had any issues in last 3 mustangs doing simple tire changes with it
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
? That's why included it because it was so dangerous and unsafe to use lol smh while it is a pain to manual crank the damn thing I've never had any issues in last 3 mustangs doing simple tire changes with it
Go for it then bud.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the best factory jack story...30+ years ago, the GM bumper jacks kind of like farm jacks were the norm, as were flats and blowouts. One of my genius friends jacked his car up on a slight incline without setting the footbrake. He got it up tippily about three feet when, creak...ping...and that jack shot out, spinning end over end, 70 feet down the road.

Consider this when thinking about trusting your valuable car and your life, to a 5 buck emergency only tool.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Who jacks a car up 3 feet in the air on an incline!?!?!?!?!?

the crappy stock jack is a pain but fine for rotating tires. It would be easier just to take is someplace and have someone else do it if you don't have a "real" jack though.
Instafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well, we were all 17 or 18 and we did tell him to move the car to a level area, despite the flat. The flat was caused by him believing Pontiac's bumf that a 1970 389 Catalina was a "sporty car".

Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Which Stangs came with a spare

Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I've never had an issue with a factory jack other than the time I bent a rim after falling asleep and running a curb. The only place off the road was an abandoned gravel parking lot.

The manual isn't really clear on where the jack points are, but that's probably just me being a visual person. You can tell me where it is all day, but I'll never find it until you show me a picture or point it out.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Jack point is immediately behind front wheel and ahead of rear wheel. There is a cutaway in the rocker cover and the pinch welds there is where the jack goes.

All non-Brembo, Track Pack, Boss stangs have a spare.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

If u look along the bottom of your car, you will be able to see divots along the side. Slip ur jack right under them and jack it up! Don't forget to set ur e brake.
Coyote302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Why not go to walmart and for $9 a tire you get lifetime tire rotation. That is the route I am taking BTW.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Go rent yourself a floor jack and some jack stands (if you dont have them already) and do it yourself. Screw a $20 dollar tire rotation or whatever the cost is. Isn't the point of this thread to learn how to do it own your own? So what if you have little to no experience in doing this. It is a simple task and could be the confidence booster you need to start wrenching on other things. Be safe,have fun and learn.

Good luck bud!!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure where in Florida you live but I gt a 3 to low profile hydraulic jack for my car there for about 40 bucks with a coupon. Works great, saves you time and u can't beat the price.
Coyote302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Go rent yourself a floor jack and some jack stands (if you dont have them already) and do it yourself. Screw a $20 dollar tire rotation or whatever the cost is. Isn't the point of this thread to learn how to do it own your own? So what if you have little to no experience in doing this. It is a simple task and could be the confidence booster you need to start wrenching on other things. Be safe,have fun and learn.

Good luck bud!!
Sometimes you have to figure the imputed cost on DIY projects. I decided long ago that my free time is worth $50/hr. I figure out how long it would take me to do something and multiply it by $50. If I can pay someone to do it for less than that, I do it. Tire rotations definitely fall into the "not worth doing it myself" category.
Bryanw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post

All non-Brembo, Track Pack, Boss stangs have a spare.
My track pack didn't come with one. In fact, I would love to find one and use it for my normal freeway driving, as I put some miles on her monthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanw92 View Post
Sometimes you have to figure the imputed cost on DIY projects. I decided long ago that my free time is worth $50/hr. I figure out how long it would take me to do something and multiply it by $50. If I can pay someone to do it for less than that, I do it. Tire rotations definitely fall into the "not worth doing it myself" category.
Some of us just enjoy massaging our girls.
Troy
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
See the picture below, just google for 2011/2012 Mustang jack points, you will get numerous pictures that show where you can use one. But to echo everyone else go buy a jack stand. Heck I didn't even think that 2011+ Mustangs had jack stands, just the fix a flat crap...

Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Some others have stated it already, and I agree that the factory jack is for roadside emergency only. Harbour Freight has relatively inexpensive HD jacks. I have a two of them along with 4 jack stands. Often times I'll jack the rear up under the center of the rear diff with a block of wood to prevent scratching. Then I'll set jack stands under the axle for safety. Also, behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels, again with a small block of wood to prevent scratching, are where I jack at the corners. Be safe, don't get under the car with just a jack under it. I once had a jack that would slowly leak down. In ten minutes it'd drop an inch, even though I had it filled full with Hydraulic fluid. After a few times of use, I threw it out, I'd rather be safe than sorry... Some folks have someone else wrench on their ride, that's cool, everyone is different. enjoy the pride of ownership and doing my own work. I'm an Engineer by profession, sure time is money, but working on cars, boats, and hot rods is like therapy for me!
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
Some others have stated it already, and I agree that the factory jack is for roadside emergency only. Harbour Freight has relatively inexpensive HD jacks. I have a two of them along with 4 jack stands. Often times I'll jack the rear up under the center of the rear diff with a block of wood to prevent scratching. Then I'll set jack stands under the axle for safety. Also, behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels, again with a small block of wood to prevent scratching, are where I jack at the corners. Be safe, don't get under the car with just a jack under it. I once had a jack that would slowly leak down. In ten minutes it'd drop an inch, even though I had it filled full with Hydraulic fluid. After a few times of use, I threw it out, I'd rather be safe than sorry... Some folks have someone else wrench on their ride, that's cool, everyone is different. enjoy the pride of ownership and doing my own work. I'm an Engineer by profession, sure time is money, but working on cars, boats, and hot rods is like therapy for me!
What field of engineering?
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanw92 View Post

I recently decided too just do my own oil changes and tire rotations. I'm tired of waiting 2 plus hours for this too be done at a business. If you factor in my drive time there and back plus my wait time, it takes me over three hours for an oil change and tire rotation. On top of that its like 45 dollars for both things and that's using their regular oil. If I want a synthetic oil its around 60 dollars.

Strictly speaking from a time factor I can change the oil and filter and rotate all four tires in less than 3 hours. I can buy my synthetic oil and Napa gold filter for under $ 40. I save 20 dollars , save time and get the enjoyment of working on my stang. Self accomplishment so too speak. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Electrical Engineering, I'm an Engineering Manager for AT&T.
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
Harbour Freight has relatively inexpensive HD jacks. I have a two of them along with 4 jack stands. Often times I'll jack the rear up under the center of the rear diff with a block of wood to prevent scratching. Then I'll set jack stands under the axle for safety. Also, behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels, again with a small block of wood to prevent scratching, are where I jack at the corners. Be safe, don't get under the car with just a jack under it.... Some folks have someone else wrench on their ride, that's cool, everyone is different. enjoy the pride of ownership and doing my own work... working on cars, boats, and hot rods is like therapy for me!
Konawin, you nailed it. My wife caught on a while back that my hours in the garage weren't the tedious types of tasks I made them out to be. Love spending any time wrenching on the Mustang.
JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I got a great Jack from harbor freight. Three pumps takes the wheels off the ground

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Had her on stands yesterday when I put on my SR lowering springs. Used this thread as a guide, and everything worked great! Thanks! BTW the Harbor Freight Steel low profile jack is the only way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23401.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	154981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0530.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	154982  

JRockDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #33

It's dangerous because of the small footprint of the jack, causing it to tip relatively easily. For quick up and down, its not too terribly dangerous just stay out from under the car and make sure you are mobile enough to get out of the way. For your garage though the $100 for a jack is more than worth it.
k0261886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

That jack is just fine, we have one of those as a spare in our shop at work. We use them on 1-ton chassis cab box trucks.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just go to my Ford dealer

Both dealers in my area have separate places to do oil changes and tire rotations. I just go there and usually don't wait long for things like this. I paid $19.95 for my tire rotation and the Nitrogen was checked and topped off. While it was on the lift I checked in the tread for any cracks or damage.
When you do get the dealer to do things like this they often send coupons for stuff to do in the future to save you some money. I just got a coupon for a free tire rotation the next time I want one. I got one for a $19.95 full synthetic oil change ( Includes filter and inspection)
I only want same side rotation and that is what I ask for. My tires are perfectly even all the way across and still look almost brand new. I got them rotated at 5,000 miles and soon will be done again at 10,000 miles.
Ronnie

PS: a good and easy way to rotate same side your self is:
Get a piece of 4X4 board about 4 1/2 feet long.
Place it under the car running along the frame ( May need two people to set it the first time. Now you do need a good quality floor jack to place in the center of the 4X4 to lift the whole side of the car up at once. Loosen the lugs before jacking. Just jack it up until both front and rear tires clear the ground. Swap the wheels front to back and install lugs. One side done and move to other side. Torque the lugs to 100 foot pounds.
You can mark the 4X4 to where the jack is located and you won't need any other person to hold the 4X4 the next time you do it.
The 4X4 also stops the jack from hitting your rocker panels.
I used a friend of mines 4X4 board when I installed my brake covers and I don't have the exact measurements. He is up north for the summer and wont be back until November.
You should have a torque wrench and a good quality floor jack and a couple of jack stands. ( Low ones)
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT