How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 11 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #351
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
My 2014 GT premium has the Ford Track Pack but has a build date of May 2013 so even though I have the Track Pack option package I would still need a newer cluster for the TracKey function to work?
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #352
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
dcruscher is now up an running with everything working. Good talking to you and congrats. Another base converted with a Track Apps cluster. Anyone can call or text me if you have trouble working through the process.
Thanks to you deerslayer. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help a fellow mustang owner in need. Great mod! Interior looks better and the mycolor is nice, but most importantly I can now monitor important aspects of both the performance of the engine as well as the driver Thanks again.
dcruscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #353
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Wayne,
Plug in your new cluster and steering wheel switch (10 min)
Go into Security and then Do PATS key erase process. (takes about 12 m because there is a 10m timeout) follow step by step on screen instructions
After erasing both keys, go BACK into Security, into PATS and do the PARAMITER RESET
Now test your keys. Keys should start the car and you will have basic gauges working. Not near all the gauges, just 3 or 4 gauges.
Now, Go to Module Programming > ASBUILT
Choose or open up IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
This will show you the codes that begin with 720
Fill in the boxes with the codes that you download using the ASBUILT codes from a car that has YOUR trans type, with a Track Apps Cluster
Once you download the codes and click on the tick or check mark.......done
Now check and your cluster should be completely Track Apps enabled with many more gauges available. If no stumbles, the process should take you under an hour easy. Only because there are TWO ten minute mandatory time outs.

Deerslayer,
Thank you for the information. That is what I wanted to know.

Wayne
Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #354
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma96 View Post
My 2014 GT premium has the Ford Track Pack but has a build date of May 2013 so even though I have the Track Pack option package I would still need a newer cluster for the TracKey function to work?
i dont dont know man " they say its because the 2014.5 have some different sensors" not sure if is true. and 400$ buck in a key and a licence is a lot to do a test. and licence number once used its gone so you cant even sell it.
WARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #355
Registered Member
Regular

So a little update, on my car cluster is on and working but i took the car to the dealer today for the trackey and they F$#@% UP they cant install the trackey software and i think the erased all that was on My PCM. the cars is there and they sent me home in a dealer car. no idea when they ill be done
Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #356
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I agree - thanks
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #357
Registered Member
Regular

Ford used the same pcm on the 2014.5 gt's as the 2012 & 2013 boss. It's able to handle two tunes at a time. In order for trackey to work you'd need a new cluster AND a new pcm

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #358
Registered Member
Regular

Warhead, as long as ur car was built after July 13 the dealer should have no problem installing the trackey. I was told that even with my base cluster my car was compatible since its in the pcm and not the cluster itself

Old 08-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #359
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruscher View Post
Warhead, as long as ur car was built after July 13 the dealer should have no problem installing the trackey. I was told that even with my base cluster my car was compatible since its in the pcm and not the cluster itself

well Well Im out of luck for some reason my dealer cant install the trackey, now im short 150$ they charged me for a non complete job and they said that would be another 185$ ti send the PCM to Ford Racig for the flashing of the PCM WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #360
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Warhead, you were a base +Aug car correct? The dealer just doesn't know what they are doing then. I have noticed only select dealers install the Track Key. You shouldnt lose anything on your cluster, if you do, just go back after they are done into Module Programming and change ASBUILT codes to get everything back.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #361
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Warhead, you were a base +Aug car correct? The dealer just doesn't know what they are doing then. I have noticed only select dealers install the Track Key. You shouldnt lose anything on your cluster, if you do, just go back after they are done into Module Programming and change ASBUILT codes to get everything back.
i was thinking that put the older cluster and than take to a different, bigger dealer once its done bring it home and redo it all
Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #362
Registered Member
Regular

Dont worry, they cant mess up the firmware to the IPC. No matter if they turn it into a base LCD cluster, just 5min you can have everything back yourself. They probably flashed your PCM and in doing so, set everything (modules) back to to what YOUR VIN# asbuilt codes were. This would put your cluster into a 4.2 LCD base cluster, no my color and no Track Apps. As I said, that is nothing to change yourself.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #363
Registered Member
Regular

If the dealer does flash your PCM for your VIN # and erases the ASBUILT codes you put in, will you also have to do the PATS relearn again or does that stay the same?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #364
Registered Member
Regular

^^ No, just ASBUILT codes
Old 08-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #365
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #366
Registered Member
Regular

I know this if off topic but you guys got to know this

Ford Racing Really care
I after the problem with the track key and a $H*%$ dealer, yesterday i gave ford racing a call, Mike the ford racing REP told me the dealer didn't know what they where doing and he would send me a programing tool, 9 Am today UPS guy shows up with the procal tool free of charge even the return is paid. excelent experience with FR

its a Xmas miracle!!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #367
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That's awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
yacob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #368
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just curious - what is the process for swapping out the buttons? Does the silver trim piece need to be removed first? Does the airbag unit need to come out of the steering wheel?
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #369
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just curious - what is the process for swapping out the buttons? Does the silver trim piece need to be removed first? Does the airbag unit need to come out of the steering wheel?
It just snaps out and plug it in. No tools needed, Just pull off the silver cover with the switch in it, unplug and remove the switch, plug in the new one and snap everything back in. 1 minute job.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #370
Registered Member
Regular

I was able to just pop the switch out without removing anything using a plastic trim removal tool. Just wedged the tool in between the switch and the silver cover and pried it out. The wires attached to the switch are kind of short but I was still able to easily unplug the old switch and plug in the new one. You could probably get away with a flat head screwdriver but if you're not careful you could end up scratching something

Old 08-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #371
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome! Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #372
Registered Member
Regular

Where is the best place to pry to remove the trim around the instrument panel to remove it?
Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #373
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just grab the inside of the bezel, the rounded edges, and pull gently

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
yacob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #374
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, thanks.

Wayne
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #375
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I've got the cluster, switch, and vcm tool on its way. I can't wait.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #376
Registered Member
Regular

Where did you end up getting your cluster?
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #377
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Where did you end up getting your cluster?
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake. After I placed the order, they sent me an email asking for the mileage and the reason for the replacement.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #378
Registered Member
Regular

What reasons are you guys giving for replacement?

Wayne
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #379
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
What reasons are you guys giving for replacement?

Wayne
I told them that it was vandalized and that I did not want to get into specifics. I'm not so sure they would have sold it to me if I told them that I just wanted to replace my base cluster with a premium cluster, and here, here's a vin that's not mine, so send me this one.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #380
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ I will guarantee if you just say you want to replace your base cluster with a Boss cluster, they wont sell it to you. I told them needles not working, some say LCD is out etc. Does it suck to not tel them the whole truth? yes, but then again, do you want a cluster or not. I think SOME dealers will upgrade you to a premium cluster but not activate Track Apps, but there has been a proven way for people to get clusters, so why deviate. The vast majority will not upgrade your cluster for you.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #381
Registered Member
Regular

I told them the same thing, needle broke. My car only had 900 miles (so they hassled me about the warranty) when I upgraded so I also told them that the dealer told me it'd be two weeks until they could get it fixed and I didn't want to wait that long and that I world be reimbursed for the new cluster.

I still haven't sent back the base cluster since I've been extremely busy. It's supposed to be compatible with trackey even without the lcd so I'm also still debating testing the eBay waters to see if I can get more than the core return fee back

Old 08-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #382
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruscher View Post
Did you get a Shelby cluster? The boss and premium ones from there are $450+$200 core. Auto Nation had my premium cluster delivered in three days. Installed last night. Deerslayer helped me with the pats because I was missing a step and couldn't get my car started. First time I needed help with an install! I'm good with anything mechanical (machinist by trade), but as soon as a computer is involved forget it No track apps yet thou, my ids won't allow me access to module programming. I've installed the program on an XP computer and a Windows 7 computer as an administrator multiple times with no luck. I've contacted carsets about this and am awaiting a reply. Still better than the basic cluster except I've lost functionality of steering sensitivity. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a patch soon.
I had the same problem where the VCM II won't let do me a module programming. Apparently it is because the IDS software is time locked, where every 120 days, a license or key is required to activate this feature.
This program is best run on XP as the registry is better located for altering.
hkey_local_machine\software\ford motor\ids
change the release date, should be okay afterwards, or download the fordextenprog on the net. This will reset the clock in the program
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #383
Registered Member
Regular

Deerslayer - did you have any issues with the ids software working with the vcm?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #384
Registered Member
Regular

No. I bought an XP based laptop used to do all of this work.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #385
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. I bought an XP based laptop used to do all of this work.
I wonder if running it in Windows XP compatibility mode would work just as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang