Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#325 ·
You get a sync module off a sync car,(ebay) install that, the mirror/mic and wheel switch. Use the VCMII to change your ASBUILT to a sync car. viola

#326 ·
Wow! Extremely glad I just read this. I was minutes away from purchasing the audio dim mirror with compass from an online Ford dealer. Didn't see the point in getting the one with the mic as well since no sync even thou its only $1 more!!! Guess I need to splurge and spend that extra dollar now :)

Before I ask any stupid questions that are already answered somewhere is there a write-up/research going on about this on this or another forum? I feel jipped not getting a compass!!

#327 ·
Yes, mustang source has a write up, about adding sync. They didnt use the VCMII so their functionality wasnt 100%

#329 ·
Sweet!! Sounds easy! And does all that work with the non sync radio??
Yes

#333 · (Edited)
I think it's a 'next up' project - there may not be a dedicated link/thread.
Also, I had a problem finding the cruise control switch with the part number given. Apparently the 'common' number is SW- 6911. RockAuto.com has it for around $20 plus shipping.

#334 ·
Stupid question, what does the sync do? Does it make the radio Bluetooth? I am electronics stupid. I would like to be able to Bluetooth my phone through the radio. I have a cord that you can plug in to the input in the center glove box and to my phone but it echos.

#336 ·
Are you sure that's the right part number? I also purchased sw-6911 off eBay for the premium cluster upgrade. It was the left side switch with the cruise buttons and arrows to control the lcd screen. Ford uses generic part #s and the entire part # is DR3Z9C888BA (for the cruise switch).

Do you know the whole part number for the right hand switch with the audio, sync, and phone buttons? I can't find anything specific on the mod either. How to wire up the module, if the harness is already there and it's plug and play? I'm pretty sure it normally goes behind the glove box so I guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look to see what's back there.

Here's a link that wasn't really all that helpful in describing this mod, it mostly regards electrical stuff and goes on between a few people who have already done it. And wouldn't you know, it's the very same people who gave us the cluster mod! Geniuses over there :)
2010+ base sync retrofit. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

#340 ·
I think I've narrowed down the part number for the sync/Bluetooth steering wheel right-hand switch. Using a vin from a premium sync car (non nav) I searched on Ford parts.com and found three different right hand steering wheel switches. The part numbers are sw-6982, sw-6913, and sw-6914. 6982 is the most expensive one so I'm assuming it would have the most features, i.e sync, phone button.However, since there are no pictures I can't be sure. If anyone knows the answer please post.

#341 ·
I'm doing this once I get a cluster, but also plan on having the dealer install the Track-Cal for warranty purposes. Better to do the Cal before or after? Won't the 'as built' wipe the new tune? Or conversely, will the dealer install of the Track Cal screw up the cluster re-write if I do that first?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#344 · (Edited)
How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

Just got the gt premium and core is 300$ they I'll ask for 100$ more,
Anyways just finish installing and it looks great. I made the track apps work and my colors, it was pretty easy with the VCMII

I'm installing trac key tomorrow do it after

#342 ·
Your tune wont matter for the install of the cluster. You only need to do PATS (first erase, next reset) & then do the ASBUILT in module programming (720 codes) Once you do PATS, your cluster will work with everything except the Track Apps. Once you change the 720 ASBUILT codes, Track Apps will be enabled.

#346 ·
Glad you got her going Warhead. This is a cool mod for base owners, going from the super basic cluster to the fully enabled Track Apps cluster. Enjoy it!

#348 · (Edited)
I don't have a cluster yet but I need to see if my XP computer that I installed the VCM II program on will let me access the module programming. I couldn't access it with my Windows 7 machine even after installing as a administrator.

Can one of you guys write a step by step procedure for doing the PATS relearn and the ASBUILT codes and where on the VCM II you access this info?
Wayne

#349 ·
dcruscher is now up an running with everything working. Good talking to you and congrats. Another base converted with a Track Apps cluster. Anyone can call or text me if you have trouble working through the process.

#352 ·
Thanks to you deerslayer. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help a fellow mustang owner in need. Great mod! Interior looks better and the mycolor is nice, but most importantly I can now monitor important aspects of both the performance of the engine as well as the driver :) Thanks again.

#350 · (Edited)
Wayne,
Plug in your new cluster and steering wheel switch (10 min)
Go into Security and then Do PATS key erase process. (takes about 12 m because there is a 10m timeout) follow step by step on screen instructions
After erasing both keys, go BACK into Security, into PATS and do the PARAMITER RESET
Now test your keys. Keys should start the car and you will have basic gauges working. Not near all the gauges, just 3 or 4 gauges.
Now, Go to Module Programming > ASBUILT
Choose or open up IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
This will show you the codes that begin with 720
Fill in the boxes with the codes that you download using the ASBUILT codes from a car that has YOUR trans type, with a Track Apps Cluster
Once you download the codes and click on the tick or check mark.......done
Now check and your cluster should be completely Track Apps enabled with many more gauges available. If no stumbles, the process should take you under an hour easy. Only because there are TWO ten minute mandatory time outs.

#355 ·
So a little update, on my car
cluster is on and working but i took the car to the dealer today for the trackey and they F$#@% UP they cant install the trackey software and i think the erased all that was on My PCM. the cars is there and they sent me home in a dealer car. no idea when they ill be done

#358 ·
Warhead, as long as ur car was built after July 13 the dealer should have no problem installing the trackey. I was told that even with my base cluster my car was compatible since its in the pcm and not the cluster itself

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#360 · (Edited)
Warhead, you were a base +Aug car correct? The dealer just doesn't know what they are doing then. I have noticed only select dealers install the Track Key. You shouldnt lose anything on your cluster, if you do, just go back after they are done into Module Programming and change ASBUILT codes to get everything back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.