How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 12 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:06 AM   #386

Region: Mississippi
I wanna buy a trac app cluster i have a base 2012 i would like one with my color ... Where can I buy one and what should I look for

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Termin8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #387
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termin8er View Post
I wanna buy a trac app cluster i have a base 2012 i would like one with my color ... Where can I buy one and what should I look for

Part # for premium cluster with my color and track apps is er3z10849ea, part # for cruise control switch is sw-6911. Just Google search these part numbers and you'll have multiple sellers to choose from. You also need a Ford vcm2 clone tool. There's a link for that early on in this thread as well as detailed instructions about the install in several places
dcruscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #388
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I wonder if running it in Windows XP compatibility mode would work just as well?
I tried that already to no avail. Windows 7 works fine as long as u install as admin. The reason the module programming didn't work is due to an expired software licence.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #389
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The software is designed specifically for Dell computers. Either a dell 6500 or dell 6510.

yacob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #390
Registered Member
Regular

The software is designed specifically for Dell computers. Either a dell e6500 or dell e6510. The company's that sell the vcm (the real ones) sell a Panasonic tough book CF-19 to go with it. So those are the actual "right" computers for it

Old 08-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #391
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
sid719e

Good talking to you on the phone today. Told you.....scary to take this on, but it is an easy mod. Glad everything is working for you! Another successful conversion
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #392

Deerslayer how can I contact you to discuss this a little more

Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #393
Registered Member
Regular

pm'ed you my #
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 08-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #394

Ok thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #395
Registered Member
Regular

Termin8er,
in a nutshell, being a '12, you have quite a bit more to do, especially if you are an auto. Jim on Mustang Source has a great set of instructions for '111/'12 owners. Here is a cut & paste:

You need:
-2013/14 premium cluster
-left steering wheel switch with the 5 directional OK message center button. Part number - SW 6911
-2013/14 ABS module. Part number - DR3Z 2C219 A

The 2013/14 premium cluster with the 4.2 inch LCD display and Track Apps can be retrofitted to 2011/12 cars with a little more work.

You can order the cluster new, but will need to give the dealer a VIN from a car that already has the premium cluster. You will also need to provide your mileage.

So the new cluster needs to be installed. PATS has to be done as well, just like the 13/14 cars.

Now you will have the cluster functioning, but you will not have Track Apps or the digital guages working. Also, you will need to install the new switch. Cruise control will not function, however. And you will need to wire up the 5-way message info center buttons (see the next post for that).

You could leave it here if you do not wish to go any further with this, as everything else in the cluster works just fine. See a post below for modifying the cruise control switch to get it working.

If you want full functionality, then to get Track Apps working, you need to get the ABS module listed above. Remove the air filter box, as the ABS module is located under there. Switch them out.

You will still not have it working right. Now you need to go to the dealer. With the VCM, the dealer needs to load the calibration for a 2013/14 car to the ABS module. Then you need to manually input the 'As Built' data into the ABS module, which will be as follows:

So the 'as built' data in the ABS module (760-01-01) I have found is:

2011 - 2014
016A - regular
056E - Brembo equipped
85EE - Track Package equipped
066F - vert Brembo equipped
026B - vert regular
218A - Boss
0972 - Shelby
41AA - Boss LS

Track Apps will now work, but you still won't have the guages. To get those, using the VCM, you will need to download the calibration for a 2013 PCM:

DR3A - ACD for manual
DR3A - ND for automatic

You may also need a corresponding 2013/14 VIN.

When done correctly, you will now have fully functioning cluster.

For Automatic Owners of 2011 and 2012

For 2011/12 automatic owners, if you program the PCM to a 2013/14, then you will also need to upgrade to the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter. This is NOT plug and play, but is a real pain. Using the Black Box from Redlinersperformance.com is a better option here for automatic owners. If you go with the black box, then you do not need to mess with the auto shifter at all.

But if the PCM is programmed, on the old shifter, when you manually put the car into 1, 2 or 3, the cluster will show an error (a wrench symbol) that will need to be cleared using a diagnostic tool every time it comes up. It will shift normally, but the PCM is getting confused as it expects Select Sport Shift.

To correct this, get the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter box. You really only need the shifter knob with the button, but the old shifter bezel will still have the 1 2 3 on there, which is no longer used and will make the error message come up if you do shift into them. The new box will only show S only and not allow the shifter to move past the S. I also had to make a block and screw it into place to prevent selection of those gears manually using the shifter.

Also, hill assist is no longer functional - but you could just add it as an extra and put the button for it somewhere, like I did. It is redundant with the select shift anyways.

The wires from the knob will need to go all the way to the PCM at the front of the car. Thanks to Lex for getting the the info on how to route wires from the cabin to the PCM. It wasn`t too bad. The passenger side wheel and inner plastic wheel cover has to come out. Behind it you will see wires running from the passenger cabin all the way to the PCM at the front of the car. The wires going from the shifter have to go all the way to the PCM. You will have to push those 3 wires through the grommet in the firewall to get them through to the inner fender. A bit of a pain to do this, but this is the only PITA part.

Next I needed the connectors for C307 both male and female. These are on the shifter box and replace the ones that are there now. The current wires going into those connectors use larger pins, so I had to change them all out to smaller pins. Make sure you keep track of what you plug into the male and female connectors so that they match!!

The 3 wires from the shift knob are for select shift.

The white wire from the knob is for shift up and will go to pin 23 on connector C175B on the PCM.
The brown one is for shift down and goes to pin 24 on the PCM C175B.
The black wire is signal return and goes to pin 56 on the PCM C175B.

Once the wiring was routed to the PCM, I had to add pins to slots 23 and 24 in C175B as those slots are empty (The bottom of the 3 connectors in the PCM. Unplug them all to get access). The third wire I tapped into the wire going to pin 56.

You will now have functioning Select Sport Shift.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #396
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
sid719e

Good talking to you on the phone today. Told you.....scary to take this on, but it is an easy mod. Glad everything is working for you! Another successful conversion
Thank you so much for all your help. Not sure that I would have attempted it without it.

On a side note, I wasn't able to get it to work with Windows 8 - didn't matter if I tried to install in xp mode, as an admin, or any combination of those two. I installed it on a Windows 7 computer, in xp mode as an admin (for both the software and the patch), and then had to download FordExtendProgr.exe in order to get into Module Programming in order to change the ASBUILT data (also installing that patch in xp mode as an admin), and then opening the software in xp mode as an admin. Not sure if all of the xp mode/admin stuff is necessary, but it worked.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #397
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Well, I finally ordered my cluster but I don't know if it will go through yet. I ordered yesterday which was on a Friday so I have not been contacted about mileage yet or why I want to order it. In the comments section of the order form I put what mileage I needed so we will see.

Hopefully my VCM II will work correctly since it's been a couple of months since I installed it on the Windows XP laptop I bought and I don't know if these clones time out on a subscription or not.

For some reason, doing this upgrade makes me nervous even though plenty of people on here have done it with no problems. My luck seems to be always bad when doing stuff like this so we shall see.

Wayne
Old 08-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #398
Registered Member
Regular

Who did you order your cluster from? I just called AutoNation Bear Lake by phone and did my order. That way everything is done at once. Once you get everything, you can call me and I can walk you through it.........It is nothing like you are thinking. After you finish in less than an hour you will be saying....wow that was easy
Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #399
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just ordered mine from Levittown online on Thurs and haven't been asked for mileage yet either .

Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #400
Registered Member
Regular

I also ordered mine from Levittown online. Deerslayer, could you PM your phone number so that when I do get my cluster, I can be ready? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #401
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I also ordered mine from Levittown online. Deerslayer, could you PM your phone number so that when I do get my cluster, I can be ready? Thanks.

Wayne
Levittown Ford was the first place that I ordered mine from and here is the response that I got after ordering it:

Hi, Thank you for your order, unfortunately we do not ship instrument clusters at this time. They are available from your local dealer on an exchange basis only. Your order has been cancelled and your credit card has not been charged. Thanks, Mike D.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #402
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hopefully my VCM II will work correctly since it's been a couple of months since I installed it on the Windows XP laptop I bought and I don't know if these clones time out on a subscription or not.
You more than likely will need another file - FordExtendProgr.exe. Just go to Google and type that in. When I do it it's the seventh result listed. It shows "Index of /FORD - Parent Directory". When you click on that you will see the .exe file. Just download that and run it (as admin) since you already have all the software installed. It will extend your license, and you can do it each time your license expires.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #403
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
Levittown Ford was the first place that I ordered mine from and here is the response that I got after ordering it:

Hi, Thank you for your order, unfortunately we do not ship instrument clusters at this time. They are available from your local dealer on an exchange basis only. Your order has been cancelled and your credit card has not been charged. Thanks, Mike D.
Thanks for this information. I guess I will probably get the same response. Also, thanks for the VCM II subscription info.

Wayne
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #404
Registered Member
Regular

He is correct. Levitown will not ship you a cluster. They will send you an email like above and say you will be refunded.
Call AutoNation in Bear Lake Minnesota.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #405
Registered Member
Regular

Damn - okay thanks.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #406
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for this information. I guess I will probably get the same response. Also, thanks for the VCM II subscription info.

Wayne
Any time, but don't thank me, thank Deerslayer for doing all of the initial work and helping all of us that needed his assistance.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #407
Registered Member
Regular

DEERSLAYER---
I'm looking at a 2012 boss. Would it be possible to convert this to LCD?
It would require a ABS module right?

GMAN211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #408
Registered Member
Regular

I have thanked Deerslayer in the past. He is the man when it comes to this subject.

Wayne
Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #409
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
DEERSLAYER---
I'm looking at a 2012 boss. Would it be possible to convert this to LCD?
It would require a ABS module right?
Yes, you could easily use a LCD cluster for the '12 Boss. You should try it PRIOR to doing the ABS module as there have been a few '12's that did not require a new module.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #410
Registered Member
Regular

Email received last night refunding order as you said. Fine - I'll no longer buy from them or recommend them to others .

Quote:
He is correct. Levitown will not ship you a cluster. They will send you an email like above and say you will be refunded.
Call AutoNation in Bear Lake Minnesota.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #411
Registered Member
Regular

I also received my order cancellation today from Levittown. I don't understand why they even have it on their website to order if they won't allow someone to buy it.

I have used Levittown in the past and they do have good prices and they shipped out quickly. I will probably still use them if I have to.

Wayne
Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #412
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I also received my order cancellation today from Levittown. I don't understand why they even have it on their website to order if they won't allow someone to buy it.
Don't know why they list it, BUT I do know that Ford wants to control the sale of the clusters. This is exactly why they dont want you to buy a Boss Cluster for a Base car. If you tell ANY dealer, that is what you plan.......you won't get a cluster. Unfortunately that is why it is well documented in this and other threads what you need to do to get a cluster that you want. You cant simply be honest about your intentions to Ford, or it will be "No SOUP for you!"
Easy way is to CALL AutoNation and do it by phone. You will get everything done at once with no back and forth emails etc. Their price is just as good as any other online price. Trust me....I shopped around prior to doing the mod.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #413
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I will order with AutoNation. I just got a dental bill in the mail today that I forgot about so the cluster will have to go back on the back burner until I get that paid.

When you order through AutoNation, are you giving them the cluster part number or are you just saying you need to purchase a cluster for VIN such and such?
I hate having to be dishonest to buy a cluster. I guess the dealers are worried about mileage rollback or something and is why they are so picky about selling these.

I will get this mod done eventually.
Wayne
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #414
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess I will order with AutoNation. I just got a dental bill in the mail today that I forgot about so the cluster will have to go back on the back burner until I get that paid.

When you order through AutoNation, are you giving them the cluster part number or are you just saying you need to purchase a cluster for VIN such and such?
I hate having to be dishonest to buy a cluster. I guess the dealers are worried about mileage rollback or something and is why they are so picky about selling these.

I will get this mod done eventually.
Wayne
I placed the order with auto nation online using the part number in order to minimize the amount of phone time and to ensure that I got the right part. They immediately gave me a confirmation number. I then called them (no more than 5 minutes after placing the order) with my order number and told them my mileage because they don't ask for it over the internet. It was as this point I had to give them the vin # I had found. Pretty straightforward, but they did question me since my car is still under warranty (they knew this due to my very low mileage). Just told em the needle broke and dealer is too slow in getting it fixed and that I'd do it myself and have them reimburse me.

Regarding why some places won't send you a new cluster. Seems silly to me that they wouldn't trust you about your mileage since they charge you so much for the core that you'll almost certainly be sending it back to them, at which point they can plug it in and confirm the accuracy. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #415
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruscher View Post
I placed the order with auto nation online using the part number in order to minimize the amount of phone time and to ensure that I got the right part. They immediately gave me a confirmation number. I then called them (no more than 5 minutes after placing the order) with my order number and told them my mileage because they don't ask for it over the internet. It was as this point I had to give them the vin # I had found. Pretty straightforward, but they did question me since my car is still under warranty (they knew this due to my very low mileage). Just told em the needle broke and dealer is too slow in getting it fixed and that I'd do it myself and have them reimburse me.

Regarding why some places won't send you a new cluster. Seems silly to me that they wouldn't trust you about your mileage since they charge you so much for the core that you'll almost certainly be sending it back to them, at which point they can plug it in and confirm the accuracy. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty easy. I'm just wondering if at some point AutoNation is going to get suspicious about how many new Mustang clusters they are selling for cars that should be under warranty and not let people order them at all.

Wayne
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #416
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone got another track apps cluster for sale?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #417

DeerSlayer - after reading almost this whole thread, I was looking for a reason as to why in the beginning your speedometer with the Boss cluster was not correct?

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

Quote:
We installed a Boss cluster on the car, the tach reads correct, however the speedo is off. Didn't want to deal with that so we are going this route with the Track Apps Cluster.
Thanks!
DeeJayTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #418
Registered Member
Regular

That cluster had had the needles pulled and repressed on. The fuel gauge was also off. It was a base cluster. I think someone was going to use the Boss face plate. To get them back on right, you need to not let the pins move after you remove the needles which obviously they did not.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #419

oh! well that is some major relief lol. Thanks

I'm from "the other forum" and have bugged you a lot already but think im done asking questions for now, i was done a long time ago with the questions until i read that part today.

thanks again!
DeeJayTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #420

Hey guys I was going to go this route but I decided to just buy a premium cluster 2012 for my base 2012 is there a write on how to install the premium 12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang