Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#432 ·
I've almost decided to not do this modification. I work in Law Enforcement and the fact that you have to lie and come up with a BS story just to purchase one doesn't sit very well with me. I'm not a very good liar and I just know that they would be able to tell that my story is BS. Do they not test the returned clusters to see if the claims of something broken or not working are true? I just think it's BS to have to go through this to get a part.

#434 · (Edited)
I've almost decided to not do this modification. I work in Law Enforcement and the fact that you have to lie and come up with a BS story just to purchase one doesn't sit very well with me. I'm not a very good liar and I just know that they would be able to tell that my story is BS. Do they not test the returned clusters to see if the claims of something broken or not working are true? I just think it's BS to have to go through this to get a part.
I don't think anyone "likes" having to give a dealership information that is misleading just to buy a part, but it is not illegal. You give the information for the part YOU want. You are not saying that the VIN you give is yours, just you want a cluster for that VIN. When they ask what is wrong, say it was removed and is not working. technically.....no lies if that would make you sleep better. If you were to lie about your mileage, YES, that would be illegal and should be prosecuted. YOU ARE SIMPLY UPGRADING YOUR CAR, LOL this is not some top secret illegal activity :) Some just people just can't stop and give JUST THE INFORMATION needed to buy the part. If you start asking questions and saying things that are not asked can trigger Ford's internal procedures NOT to sell the part to you. There are MANY parts Ford will NOT sell you if you do not supply them with a corresponding VIN, clusters are just another part that they require a VIN for.

Go to a dealer and try to buy a OEM Boss Vinyl front quarter stripe without a Boss VIN ........not happening You can buy all of the other stripes, rocker, hood, rear quarter, but NOT the front quarters that have the Boss logo

#436 · (Edited)
I now have everything (will tomorrow at least) needed to add OEM sync to the car. With this cluster, I will install the auto dimming mirror with the compass and mic. I had to get the RH steering wheel switch that had the voice/phone buttons, as well as the wiring harness that plugs into the compass mirror. FIRST QUESTIONS out of the dealer parts guy was: "I need the last 8 numbers of the VIN" Had a VIN handy for a '13 premium w/sync no nav and gave him the numbers and $45 and both parts will be here tomorrow :) He never asked me if this was MY car nor do I think he gave a rats ass about it.
Looks like the fully functional OEM sync is going to cost me a total of $285
to complete. From a salvage yard I got: '13 mustang sync module (apim), '13 shaker premium ACM, auto dimm mirror w/mic/compass ($175 all three). I bought a sync kit for the harness for $65, RH steering wheel switch (hpi) & mirror wiring harness ($45)

(Could have saved some $ by not getting the premium shaker ACM but for 75 it was a deal)

#438 ·
Nice project GMan.....We'll work together to knock them out.

#442 ·
How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

Could someone PM me. I think the software I have for my VCMII is corrupted. Maybe someone could make a copy.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#446 ·
im going to be atempting this on a 2011 GT Premium 6SPD Manual with my color so which cluster can i get to keep my color but also have 180 MPH another thing so besides the abd module vcmii and cluster and switches what else do i need

#448 ·
Questions

My 14 base going to a 14 premium. I can't remember if the vin# I gave the dealership to order cluster was a auto, will this matter? My car has a custom tune, would I need to flash back to stock or leave alone? Steering buttons are done, gauge cluster in hand and scanner will be here Friday. Any help would be great.

#453 ·
Got installed today and it works great. A few hiccups on my behalf. Only had one key with me, so I had to wait for other key from my wife. It took a few times to program the keys, then came looking up asbuilt numbers. It all came together though. Thanks OP for this thread.

#454 ·
DEERSLAYER - the got the harness, switch and the sync module....
And ... Now I have Sync in my 2012 Boss 302!!!!
I need to get a 2013 switch. So I can talk to sync ...
Thanks for you DEERSLAYER...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#455 ·
Can someone PM me with a premium VIN so I can order the cluster? I am looking to order the cluster and from what I read AutoNation is about the best source, outside of finding a used one on eBay or car-parts. If anyone living in AZ has done this, And is willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Martin

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#456 ·
1ZVBP8CFID5243034

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.