How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 17 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 AM   #561
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
Hello all, just to let people now that I was able to install a 2013 GT500 cluster in a 2013 base GT. Did the PATS relearn, and PCM reset. Thats it. Even if my base speedo is a 160mph, and the GT500 is a 200mph, the speed showing is correct as i checked it with a elm327 dongle with app. Track apps seem to work. The most time consuming was waiting for the security screening during the VCM programing. Props to DeerSlayer for this thread, and pointing all the directions. Now my mileage is at 2900 miles instead of 25000 miles.. I guess I have to live with that one for now.

I will talk to him then lol. Thanks @70monte

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
da.anthman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #562

Region: Florida
Checking to see if anyone has a VMS II in the Orlando/Tampa area that I could utilize to install my Boss cluster in my Base 14'?
Blue_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #563
Registered Member
Regular

I am shopping for a VCM II tool online. My car was built in Feb 2014, so would I need to buy one with V86 or V91 software?

I have a 13 GT500 Cluster.

Found this one for about $125 shipped that has V86:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32256372852.html
Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #564
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Considering the v86 didn't work with my '13 and I'm waiting delivery on a V91 disc, I'd go with the 91 from the start. Some people have gotten both with their order - look at the specifics.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #565
Registered Member
Regular

Where did you buy your tool from?

Upon further research I found this one that offers 3 versions (V81, V86, V91) and free DHL shipping. I think I am going to get this one for $130

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/1197771871.html
Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #566
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Correct V86 will not work on the 2014... Or some 2013 V91 will recognize it but when doing module reprogramming or ASBUILT it will give a "vehicle battery low" message... Will let you do PATS though... I had my dealer do the ASBUILT , just showed the tech how to do it and he reset the track key activation (do track key AFTER cluster swap)
FMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #567
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.anthman60 View Post
Where did you buy your tool from?

Upon further research I found this one that offers 3 versions (V81, V86, V91) and free DHL shipping. I think I am going to get this one for $130

http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/1197771871.html

Sounds like the way to go - that's close to what I paid for V86

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #568
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I paid about $165 for my V86 version back in May or so from that website.

Wayne
Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 AM   #569

Region: Utah
So this forum thread is getting REALLY lengthy and I would like to accomplish such a swap in my 2014 Base GT as well! Is it possible for someone to collect all the important details on how to go about making a successful swap? I've been reading through all these pages and it's hard to pick out all the details. It would be helpful to have a step by step outline.

When I questioned my local dealer about such a swap they let me know they'd have to order based on vehicle VIN. So we just use any old VIN#? and does the odometer have to be programmed before it is installed? A thorough guide would really help answer a lot of newbie questions.
dougvandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #570
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Need a vin from a specific mustang with what you want (look on eBay)
Give dealer that vin and order, give them YOUR mileage and when they ask why replaced tell them vandalized...
As for the other stuff, changing the ASBUILT and PATS you will need a minimum of V91 with a VCM2 to program the keys (PATS) and there is a possibility it will not let you change the ASBUILTs ( which is what I found on late 2014 cars) if you get the PATS done with your purchased VCM2 and V91 software you can then drive and start the car as normal, just will not have the track apps or all the gauges...
Lads built codes will be here
http://www.vrep.fordtechservice.deal...&VR_Quickstart

Just delete the vin from this address and replace with the vin you acquired to order the cluster then hit enter... The ASBUILT codes will be listed, print them out and give them to the service tech and tell him to change the "720" codes to what is listed on the sheet you gave him.... Then that's it... If you don't buy a VCM2 then you will need to drive to the dealer and change the IPC in their parking lot and have them set the pats and at the same time the ASBUILT also
Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #571
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

My dealer charged me 50.00. I showed them how to do it and reprogram my track key... Also got a free car wash out of the deal, so wasn't that bad....
Old 12-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS View Post
just will not have the track apps or all the gauges..
The Track apps and Gauges and MyColor are all why I want the new cluster, So you're saying this will all be activated as long as we get the ASBUILT codes in and use a VCM2? Does the dealer have a VCM2? I'm hoping I wont have to buy any tools for this install.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #573
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

The VCM2 is what ford uses. They can do it, if you find a cool dealer... Go on eBay and find a premium 2014 GT and get the vin and order the cluster with it
Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #574
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Use 1ZVBP8FF7E5240863 for a vin.
That's a 2014 GT premium.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #575

I took your notes to the dealership and talked to one of the tech guys, He looked it over and said "Yeah I think I can do this no problem, only risk to you is the $600 you'll be out from the new cluster if it doesn't work. Then we'll just put the regular cluster back in."

I also talked to the parts guys about the VIN# trick and they said "Yeah that works for us we just need a VIN to order"

So I have the dealership more than on board. And they have all the tools to make it happen. I'll use this VIN you provided FMS, thanks! I'll also print out the codes with it.

Question: Can you verify that ALL the parts work? The track apps? The MyColor? All the little things like 'open door' notifications? Also I have rear sensors, will that be affected by this?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #576

Region: Connecticut
Install Overview Video

I came across this video on YouTube for a cluster change out on a 2013 V6, which appears to be pretty much what Deerslayer has been laying out for everyone through out this post. Not the greatest quality video, but it helps answer some questions about the cruise control switch removal, cluster and entering the as built codes through the software. This will definitely be my next mod before the car gets back on the road after the winter is over Thanks everyone, especially Deerslayer for all the great information, it is greatly appreciated!

4325ABCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #577

4325ABCT Thanks for sharing that video! It really clears things up and show just how simple the swap actually is! Just need some of those programming tools.

I also wondered, for the VIN, does it matter if the car is Manual or Automatic? Mine is a manual and I want to make sure it will work fine. I'll retrieve a VIN off eBay from a Manual 2014 GT Premium Coupe just to be sure.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #578
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

It will all work, once they change the ASBUILT digits..... I'm running a 2013 Boss cluster in my 6/14 built GT base
Old 12-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #579
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

The vin I gave you was for a 2014 premium GT with a manual trans
Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #580

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvandy View Post
4325ABCT Thanks for sharing that video! It really clears things up and show just how simple the swap actually is! Just need some of those programming tools.

I also wondered, for the VIN, does it matter if the car is Manual or Automatic? Mine is a manual and I want to make sure it will work fine. I'll retrieve a VIN off eBay from a Manual 2014 GT Premium Coupe just to be sure.
dougvandy, according to Deerslayer's post response #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
As long as a used cluster is from a 13/14 premium/track app car, it doesn't matter if it's an auto or stick or V6 car right? I know it would have to get the mileage corrected.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Correct, doesn't matter at all. The clusters are the same part, only module programming determines what will be viewed
Vin you have should work just fine.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #581
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Right, that's why I gave him the vin to retrieve the ASBUILT for the correct 2014 premium GT manual
Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #582
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
So I just ordered my Track Apps cluster from a wrecking yard in GA and hopefully the right switch off rock auto, Assuming that SW-6911 is the correct PN of the switch i need. I already have the VCMII Clone, But I assume in need V91 of the IDS to flash the cluster? I just read some info on that last night. So ill need to some more research. Then again I do have a friend that works at a local dealership. Maybe I can get the right asbuilt codes and vin and he can do it. But ill be doing this swap here shortly!
tsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #583
Registered Member
Regular

tsiawd,
The problem you may run into with a dealer is the mileage differential. They won't install it if your mileage is too far off. The main difference in buying a brand new cluster from the dealer is:
NEW - Ford programs your new cluster to match your mileage (it is shipped to the dealer that way)
USED- Only a couple of Speedometer Companies can REPROGRAM the mileage of a used cluster. They ask for you to send YOUR cluster and the used one to reprogram them. HUGE pain in the ***. Dealerships can not adjust the mileage on a cluster nor can you with a VCMII. Dealerships nearly always wont do any work installing one if you mileage is off. It is not legal.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #584

Just to confirm, I'll need the vin from a premium auto with track apps to work for my 2013 boss cluster on my auto GT?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #585
Registered Member
Regular

No, if you want a Boss cluster, you need to provide a Boss VIN # That is to PURCHASE a Boss Cluster.
In PROGRAMMING your Boss cluster, you can enter the 720 asbuilt codes of a premium track apps auto and your Boss cluster will work BUT it will also add a Transmission Temp Gauge that manual transmissions and Boss 302's do not have. (If you entered Boss codes, the trans temp gauge would not show up)

We have tried every combo of codes to try to get myColor to come up in the Boss Cluster and it will not work. The firmware is different and wont allow it with the Boss Cluster
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #586

Thanks a ton! Can't wait to get it in and functioning!
Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #587

I am going to have an issue though, as of now I DD the car and ordering a new gauge will prove tricky as far as the mileage goes. I'm going to pay my dealership to change the as built codes and do the pats relearn and I doubt they'll do it if the mileage is off.. any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #588
Registered Member
Regular

LOL, This car is DD by my son and he is off at college 8hrs away. I had to guesstimate his mileage over a two week period AND his trip home. I estimated just a little high and once he got here it was within 40miles. Pretty damn good in my books so his car actually has 40 fewer miles than his odometer reads. Just estimate it as close as you can and it takes about 7 working days to get a cluster from AutoNation.

I would suggest guestimating just a bit high and drive the car around until the mileage is close or right on
Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #589

I suppose that would be the only way. I am a real estate appraiser and can drive anywhere from 300-800 miles a week though. It varies so greatly that I'd have to overshoot it by a lot.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #590
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Demon View Post
Checking to see if anyone has a VMS II in the Orlando/Tampa area that I could utilize to install my Boss cluster in my Base 14'?
Hey Ryan, I'm in Lakeland and I have the VCM II. PM me and we'll work out the details.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #591
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
tsiawd,
The problem you may run into with a dealer is the mileage differential. They won't install it if your mileage is too far off. The main difference in buying a brand new cluster from the dealer is:
NEW - Ford programs your new cluster to match your mileage (it is shipped to the dealer that way)
USED- Only a couple of Speedometer Companies can REPROGRAM the mileage of a used cluster. They ask for you to send YOUR cluster and the used one to reprogram them. HUGE pain in the ***. Dealerships can not adjust the mileage on a cluster nor can you with a VCMII. Dealerships nearly always wont do any work installing one if you mileage is off. It is not legal.
K Gotcha, The cluster that I purchased is about 1000 miles less than my car. Just got the asbuilt data from a premium, So now its just a waiting game till it all arrives
tsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #592
Registered Member
Regular

@Deerslayer: so for me putting my GT500 Cluster into a 2014 GT, I need to get the VIN and ASBUILT codes from another 2014 GT Premium or from another GT500 for full functions??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #593
Registered Member
Regular

If you already have the cluster, use the VIN for a 2014 premium GT for the ASBUILT codes for your ABS. (720-____-__-______) Once you plug the cluster in, use your VCMII tool to do PATS relearn and parameter reset. Once that is done, go into module programming, open the ABS in the dropdown, enter the codes you download for a premium to the 720 lines. Once that is done, that is it
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #594
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you already have the cluster, use the VIN for a 2014 premium GT for the ASBUILT codes for your ABS. (720-____-__-______) Once you plug the cluster in, use your VCMII tool to do PATS relearn and parameter reset. Once that is done, go into module programming, open the ABS in the dropdown, enter the codes you download for a premium to the 720 lines. Once that is done, that is it

Very much appreciated. I have to wait until I get the VCM II to do the switch
Old 12-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #595
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Kind of off subject but can the VCM II change parameters for a different wheel size than factory? I just bought some take off 19" rims and tires off of a 2014 Mustang GT for my 14 GT which has 18" rims from the factory. I want my speedometer and everything else that is affected to be correct if possible. Thanks.

Wayne
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang