Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#608 ·
I have my new Cluster on order from AutoNation, when talking to the guy over the phone he said they've been getting a lot of these types of mods happening lol! AutoNation is great to work with, and I'm guaranteed to get my core deposit returned which is nice to know. I'm planning on having the dealer program the PATS and ASBUILT data. I will video the entire process and post it once it's completed!

#609 ·
Has anyone posted the v91 to a google drive or skydrive yet? I would be interested in the link as my v86 which allowed me to program my cluster when I installed it a year ago no longer allows Module Programming and I am curious if upgrading to v91 will solve that issue. I don't really need it but I would like to have it just in case and to satisfy my curiosity as well :p

#611 ·
I just received my premium cluster today, that I bought on eBay... I'll need to send it out to have the odometer corrected.

I'm stuck on picking out a vcmii....whether or not it will have ids, and if I'll need a patch.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#613 ·
Alright, thanks. It seems like most of them come with the software. Some say to go with alliexpress, some say carsets.uk..... Latest I've seen, some people weren't having luck with v86, and needed to use a newer version.

Track apps doesn't appear in my cluster, I'm guessing it will after programming?

#614 ·
Anyone in NOVA with a VCM II?

#615 ·
At first mine didnt show but then did. I didnt touch the ABS as built data. I did change the cluster data. Now i have trans temp on my mt-82....it doesnt read lol. My mycolor only had 3 colors, that didnt fly!

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Im in MD

#618 ·
Awesome, you could use the site Dropbox, or Google drive....I'm not an IT guy either. Once you upload the file to one of those, you can PM whoever the link, including myself! Hehe

I wouldn't post it publicly.

Thanks.

#620 ·

The second Image doesnt show the track apps, Idk why It wasnt there then it was after i got the pats to program, I did forget to mention that now on the Radio LED display all the way on the bottom left it has two --. Im not sure why its thee now, Came on after the cluster install

#622 ·
Text Font Web page Line Technology

#626 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
If you already have the cluster, use the VIN for a 2014 premium GT for the ASBUILT codes for your ABS. (720-____-__-______) Once you plug the cluster in, use your VCMII tool to do PATS relearn and parameter reset. Once that is done, go into module programming, open the ABS in the dropdown, enter the codes you download for a premium to the 720 lines. Once that is done, that is it

Don't you mean IPC codes? The ABS ones did not need to be changed on anything other than the 2011-12 I thought... At least that's what I did .. Just the IPC
LOL, YES....don't know why I had ABS on the brain there. the two lines of 720 codes are the instrument panel cluster codes.

#629 · (Edited)
DVandy,
Are you sure you are using the right codes for a 2014? None of this mod should have anything to do with your advance track tho.

BTW, hope anyone doing this from now on has already downloaded your ASBUILT codes because it looks like Ford has shut that door :whistling:

#630 ·
BTW, hope anyone doing this from now on has already downloaded your ASBUILT codes because it looks like Ford has shut that door :whistling:

Uh oh, what does this mean? Am I SOL?

#632 ·
Holy cow! Talk about close timing! I just got my cluster installed this morning and glad I did! The Ford Tech did the ASBUILT first and the PATS second (which I don't know why considering I told him the order). We had some issues with the AdvanceTrac system; almost like the module was having a fuss. We tried some new codes and everything eventually worked! Only issue that came up in the final test was an error communicating to the Radio :| Not sure if that's bad but there's no obvious signs of error nor any warning lights on. :bow:

Btw, Here is a video of the successful aftermath having made the swap today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NNqlskyO9c

#633 · (Edited)
Doug,
Your acm is thinking you have the compass since you have the ASBUILT codes for a premium on your cluster. That is why you have the two dashes on your radio. It is where the compass readout is. Since you dont have a compass mirror it thinks there is a problem with the compass. It is no big deal at all. You can leave it with no problems, OR you can upgrade your car further with a compass mirror and wiring :) I have now done the sync install with compass mirror & handsfree mic setup. I got one of the tablet holders and covered it myself in carbon fiber to match the carbon fiber radio bezel and console that is in this car. Here is a pic of it running DashCommand just testing it out. It is just sitting in the spot in this pic, prior to us putting the magnets in the backside of the bezel to hold it a tad higher.

#635 ·
For the tablet mod?

#637 ·
I will post a FULL how to on the sync conversion. It is waaaay trickier since it is really important to have the correct APIM (sync module) for your car and matching switches, mics and mirrors. 11/12s hardware will not work with 13/14 hardware and so on. I bought a complete wiring diagram for a 13 mustang GT that I need to scan and post some diagrams.
The most common mistake people are doing with this mod is getting a APIM that is from an unknown salvage mustang. If it happened to have come from a car that had Navigation, it will NOT work with you trying to do a simple sync install. YOU MUST KNOW WHAT CAR THE APIM (sync module) IS COMING OUT OF. Also finding good prices on a harness for the sync install is getting really difficult to come by. I was able to get a full kit for under $75, it is hard to find one under $400 which I believe makes it cost prohibitive. If you can find a salvage car with sync, see if you can get these parts: mirror, map light fixture, APIM & RT side Steering wheel switch. You can buy the other 2 harnesses needed new cheap for a USB & Aux, but the Main Sync harness is what you need out of the old 2009 aftermarket Sync Kit and the prices of those are now ridicules. Once you have all those parts it is a pretty easy install and you do still need a VCMII to change the ACM ASBUILT codes so that your cluster, steering wheel switch and Audio Control Module all can communicate correctly.

#644 ·
I will be attacking this soon. But I didn't realize about the sync module. Damn. Let's hope it works out. I got a screen out of a Lincoln, ACM from a GT500 with NAV. and amp, woofer, wiring.
I'll probably be mixing and matching wiring since it came from a manual, and mine is a auto. fun fun fun...
You also don't have to waste your time scanning diagrams. I'll post them in PDF format. This way you'll have time for more mods :)

Attachments

#638 ·
Deerslayer, thanks for the heads-up on that compass. Actually my car DID come with a compass in the rear view mirror however I unplugged it to install an aftermarket mirror with LCD backup camera lol. So that error code was probably occurring on my base cluster prior to the swap.

BTW, I love the carbon fiber ipad bezel. I got the same bezel from MusicarNorthwest and it covers the compass anyways.

Question: will this swap effect the typical maintenance of the car? When I'm getting safety and emissions check done it's not going to trip anything warnings will it?

#639 · (Edited)
^^^no it will not effect the any of the safety emissions or anything like that. I got this tablet holder from MusicarNorthwest as well, just worked with them on a basic one because I was going to finish it with carbon fiber. They are pricey, but are a awesome design and mod for these interiors. We added a OBDII wifi dongle as well as Sync so can run car data/navigation and music off the ipad mini.
This wifi / bluetooth dongle I bought is great.
Vgate ICAR2 OBDII OBD2 ELM327 Smart Auto Diagnostic Scanner Bluetooth WiFi | eBay

You can wifi connect with your iphone and or your ipad. It is so quick and turns off with your key so it wont drain your battery. DashCommand is a pretty cool app to run for your car. Allows you a LOT of live data through your OBDII port

#640 ·
Wow good find on the OBDII. I was looking for one with auto-shutoff cause I know I'd forget to unplug it for weeks lol.

So at this point is there any reason to worry that something will break? I've driven the car around quite a bit and tested most every button and option and haven't had any issue. I just want to be sure there won't be possible future issues before I send back the core.

#641 · (Edited)
Well, I completed the 2013 GT500 Cluster swap in a 2014 GT. Gauges seem to work, and did not have to alter the ASBUILT Data. When I initially plugged the cluster in, it didn't have MyColor or the Track Apps Menu, but when I did the PATS Reset/Relearn it came right up. When it asked for the vehicle information I deleted the actual VIN and replaced it with a 2013 GT500 VIN, not sure if that is what did it.

The Boost and Vaccum Gauge shows up as " --- ". Have not tested the launch control, but all the menus and options are there.

The biggest issue I had was figuring out how to navigate the IDS 90.1 Software, it was very time consuming (took maybe two hours). I had a communication error between my computer and the VCM II and it took about 30 minutes to figure out that the VCM II needed an update (which eventually I was prompted by IDS, no internet needed).

ALSO, a tip for future swappers: Be careful not to scratch your upper shroud on the steering column when doing the switch! It is very scratch prone, it is pretty cheap plastic.

#643 ·
^^I knew it was going to be a matter of time before Ford started putting up more road blocks for modding our own VCMIIs. Any shop that uses a scan tool will have access. Time to get someone on the inside to help.

#646 · (Edited)
6LStrroke,
if your buddy is a Ford tech he will have the VCMII. You will need the following:
4.2 LCD Cluster (Premium or Boss)
SW6911 LH steering wheel switch
Call AutoNation in White Bear Lake MN to order your cluster. If you want a premium cluster, provide them with this VIN from a '14 Premium - 1ZVBP8CF9E5286330
If you want a Boss - 1ZVBP8CU2D5202376.
You will also need to tell them YOUR mileage. If they ask why you are replacing or what is wrong, you can say its not working for you.

Once you have the cluster, simply pry out the LH steering wheel switch and unplug
plug the new one in and pop it back into the steering wheel
Pry off the Cluster dash panel cover ( it pops off)
Undo the two 8mm screws that hold the cluster in.
Remove the cluster and unplug the harness
Plug in the new cluster and attach the 8mm screws

Have your tech do this:
Print out ASBUILT codes for this VIN 1ZVBP8CF9E5286330 (you just need the Codes following the two 720 lines)
Plug in the VCM into your OBDII port and begin a session
Perform PATS key erase (must have two keys)
Once keys are programmed, do PARAMETER RESET
Begin new session and open MODULE PROGRAMMING
Open IPC in module programming
Replace the code following the two 720 lines with the codes on the 720 sheet you printed out
Start your car and your cluster will be 100% functional with Track Apps AND it will also have a transmission temperature gauge in the gauges drop down even if you decide on a Boss Cluster
Send your base cluster back in the box they send you your new cluster and you will receive your COMPLETE core charge back in full
Enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.