How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 20 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #666
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Thanks - I use Macs every day for work but I bought this XP Dell for just this purpose. So am I going to have to 'thaw' the program every time I want to use this thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

The only purpose of thawing it would be to make permanent changes to the computer, change the date, etc. Otherwise, when it is enabled it won't allow you to make changes to the computer (i.e. install new programs), every time you restart the computer it will erase everything that was added.

I accidentally installed it before IDS and it took me hours (and repeated installs) to figure out that the reason why IDS was refusing to stay installed was because of the Deep Freeze.
da.anthman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 PM   #667
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
So other than being a pain, what is Deep Freeze good for? Why limit adding programs?

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #668
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by da.anthman60 View Post
Much appreciated dude! I was about to re-ask the question because I thought it got lost Lol!
No problem. I keep all kinds of info. LOL

Wayne
Old 01-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #669
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
No problem. I keep all kinds of info. LOL

Wayne
Does yours have the Trans temp gauge with that code by any chance?

Also, has anybody used ODO-PRO.COM - Odo-Pro.com - The Digital Odometer Professionals for changing the Odometer readings? I need to get mine changed to the correct mileage of my car.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #670
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I used them. No problems - but if you want to be fairly accurate with the mileage and you drive your car daily, you may want to add a weeks worth of mileage. With hassles getting the VCM to work and delivery time, I'm now a couple hundred miles off. Not a huge deal....

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #671
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Yes I used them. No problems - but if you want to be fairly accurate with the mileage and you drive your car daily, you may want to add a weeks worth of mileage. With hassles getting the VCM to work and delivery time, I'm now a couple hundred miles off. Not a huge deal....

I am thinking about shipping it off to them today, what was their turn around time for your? On the website it says 24 hours are typical. Did they also get the number you wanted spot on? I am going to have a higher number put on because I will have to daily the car while I get it corrected.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #672
Registered Member
Regular

Yes their in house turnaround is about 24 hours. Add to that your delivery time to them and the return trip. They send it FedEx with a sign release. If no one's home, you can have it re-routed to a FedEx office to pick up....but again this adds time. My turnaround was probably 8 days but that was also around Christmas.
Yes they match the specific number you give them.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #673
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Shipped it out Tuesday, he got it today and already sent it back out within 4 hours (according to USPS). I estimated the mileage and now have to drive a little this weekend. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #674
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by da.anthman60 View Post
Does yours have the Trans temp gauge with that code by any chance?
It should since the car I got the VIN from was an automatic. I don't have an upgraded cluster installed yet in my car so I can't tell you for sure.

Wayne
Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #675
Registered Member
Regular

If the codes are from and auto trans car, then yes it will include the trans temp gauge. The gauge will only work if you an auto also, but it does not matter which cluster.
ie: trans temp gauge can show up and work in an automatic with a Boss Cluster that was a cluster made for only manual transmission. There is no sensor to measure trans temp in any manual car tho.

In doing a lot of work with the ipad install in this car I have learned some things that just make me wonder why we cant unlock more data that is there. For instance: With my wifi reader plugged into the OBDII port, running Dash Command on the ipad, you can choose from a wide variety of gauging that is ALL read from the pid's through the OBDII. Boost is one of them! Though there is not a sensor for Boost in these cars, Dash Command (Palmer Engineering) is able to take available pid's and write a calculation to provide Boost/Vacuum. I was designing my own skins or gauge layouts and colors with a custom option they have and it is very similar to writing old code for the web which I did a long time ago. I was able to see that they took the MAF reading along with the RPMs and wrote a calculation that would produce an accurate Boost / Vacuum gauge. I have a stand alone gauge in this car, so I compared them real time and it was dead on. It would be nice since some gauges (GT500 Gauge) does have a Boost/Vac gauge that we could get them to read out with the data that is already there. It is not like they would have to add a boost sensor, simply take the data that is already part of the pid's.
I made a gauge face to match the Boss Ice Blue color scheme and laid out all of the info I want it to display. Here is the gauge face I built and what it will look like on the ipad when we finish the install.

everything reads 32 because of the "needle tester" when you build the face. It is just a numerical slider that you can see what the gauge will look like in use.

2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #676
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
If the codes are from and auto trans car, then yes it will include the trans temp gauge. The gauge will only work if you an auto also, but it does not matter which cluster.
ie: trans temp gauge can show up and work in an automatic with a Boss Cluster that was a cluster made for only manual transmission. There is no sensor to measure trans temp in any manual car tho.
Thanks. I will do this install into my car next week, the odometer got reprogrammed and is on its way back. The GT500 was put into a buddy's car. Launch Control does not work with the 5.0/GT, it may work if you get the buttons that go below the headlight switch, and possibly add some wiring for it. I doubt he will buy it and figure it out for his car. It turns on within the cluster, but does not read, "LC" like it is suppose to on the bottom of the cluster.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #677

Region: Nebraska
Is anyone else having trouble getting a cluster ordered? I tried two dealerships over the interwebs and neither one will sell to me. On my third try now.

Side note, if anyone has the 720 As-Built data for a 2014 manual they could PM me I'd be forever grateful. The local shops have been less than enthusiastic to hand it out. I have my own VCM II but this is proving to be a lot of trouble.
SilentNight1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #678
Registered Member
Regular

^^ if you read, you will find there is only one or two online dealers that will sell one. The main one in MN is mentioned several times.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #679

Think I found one, decent price too.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #680
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! Many will let you order it and a day later send you a message refunding you. I know that Levittown Ford would do that.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #681

Lol, that's actually the first one I tried! One other place wanted a $500 core and said there was no guarantee they could get one.

Tasca seems to be letting me do it.

Woot, got what I needed from a local dealer didn't realize a guy I knew worked the parts counter.

Do you need an active internet connection to change the As-Built data?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #682
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

If anyone in socal is interested in doing this swap, and is having issues ( some 13/14) with using the VCM2 knockoffs. I can help.. I have a dealer guy I work closely with and its reasonable...
FMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #683
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Think we figured out he issues some were having with some cars not getting recognized.... If your car has a pro cal or track key the VCM nock off with v86 WILL NOT recognize the car... v91 WILL but will not let you change anything other than letting you do PATS....so if you are using a Mororsport Pro-Cal, remove it first, then use your tool then reinstall afterwards......if you have a track key.... Not much you can do (as of now) than goto a dealer that will work with you....Tezz had the same issues I was with mine, we tried everything, but i figured out the common thing between the 3 cars I've tried...Motorsport Programming...but once he removed the pro cal the v86 read his PCM..
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #684
Registered Member
Regular

^^^Good info FMS. I also think Ford may be closing some of the loop holes to slow this mod down from individuals doing it. They have now secured the motorcraft site for ASBUILT codes. Those can still be looked up tho, just not as easy as it was before.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #685
Registered Member
Regular

I was also missing the calibration codes install on my original CD - wouldn't have worked without those! Thanks, FMS!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #686
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, ordered a boss cluster for a customer 2 weeks ago from ford, never a issue with my dealer... When it came in the part number was correct but a standard cluster was in the sealed bag... I think it was my core! ... After 5 days the dealer got a correct one from a east coast depot... So, I believe the Boss clusters are starting to sell out...
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #687
Registered Member
Regular

Well, My VCMII is not working on the car. I downloaded the extend program and it says that I got the module extended to 5/28/2015 but it obviously didn't take because I get an error message that says that the VCM is not communicating with the IDS program so that the car is also not recognized as being plugged in.

When I try to run the extend program as an administrator, it says the exe file is corrupted even though previously it said that it extended it. I have the V86 version that did work last June.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Wayne
Old 01-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #688

Region: Florida
If anyone has a 2011+ gauge cluster laying around, and a minute or two to kill, would you be able to get some some measurements of it, ex: how tall, wide, and deep? Thanks.
Kevins89notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #689
Registered Member
Regular

So from automation It says it's 450$. How much do we get back with the core recharge?? Or is the return needed to get it?

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #690
Registered Member
Regular

450 plus core charge - usually 200 or so - which is refunded when they get your old one

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #691
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh wish it wasn't so steep of a cost. I got the switch already at least. Just want to do this and some more performance mods lol

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #692
Registered Member
Regular

It is getting tougher and tougher to do this mod at a decent price. Even used LCD clusters sell for a lot more than they used too.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #693
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Well, My VCMII is not working on the car. I downloaded the extend program and it says that I got the module extended to 5/28/2015 but it obviously didn't take because I get an error message that says that the VCM is not communicating with the IDS program so that the car is also not recognized as being plugged in.

When I try to run the extend program as an administrator, it says the exe file is corrupted even though previously it said that it extended it. I have the V86 version that did work last June.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Wayne

Remove all the IDS program on your computer. Then reload it , the v82 calibration, V86 IDS and the extended programing. After reloading it keep the tool hooked to the lap top, sometimes the VCM2 needs to update itself to work with the software... Give it a shot... And you don't have a track key or Pro Cal loaded in the car.. It will not read the PCM if so..
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #694
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS View Post
Remove all the IDS program on your computer. Then reload it , the v82 calibration, V86 IDS and the extended programing. After reloading it keep the tool hooked to the lap top, sometimes the VCM2 needs to update itself to work with the software... Give it a shot... And you don't have a track key or Pro Cal loaded in the car.. It will not read the PCM if so..
Ok, so are you saying that after I remove the IDS program from the computer, I need to hook up the VCM2 to the computer and than re-install everything or do I re-install everything first and then hook up the VCM2?

I also do not have track key or Pro Cal on my car. Thanks for the information.

Wayne
Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #695
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone here got v86 to work on a 2014 Mustang? I am having issues with my v90 and it is not working anymore. I would rather just install my v86. Please let me know asap. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #696
Registered Member
Regular

When you bought your VCMII did they send discs with IDS & the patch or did you have to download them?

I have the disc that has IDS v86, the patch and notes on one disc. I could burn a copy of this disc and send it to you if you think your copy is no bueno. I have not had any problems with this download on any cars
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #697
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When you bought your VCMII did they send discs with IDS & the patch or did you have to download them?

I have the disc that has IDS v86, the patch and notes on one disc. I could burn a copy of this disc and send it to you if you think your copy is no bueno. I have not had any problems with this download on any cars
This is the same thing I got with my VCMII and mine no longer works. I'm going to try what FMS suggests and remove the program and re-install it.

Deerslayer,
Have you had to do the extend program on your version and if so, did you have to do anything special to get it to extend the subscription?

Wayne
Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 AM   #698
FMS
Registered Member
Regular

Remove the software , reload the v82 calibration and IDS v86 and patch. tHEN start the program with the VCM plugged to the computer and go thru the start up
Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #699
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I got 3 versions with my kit. The v90 isn't working, despite multiple uninstalls and installs.

I did a a factory reset on my computer and I am going to try my v86 disc. It has the installer, patch and some short directions. I am really hoping it works on my 2014..
Old 01-31-2015, 10:03 AM   #700
Registered Member
Regular

I had to wipe EVERYTHING off my computer, and then reinstall with the patch and it worked fine. Make sure to install the patch before you ever open IDS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang