Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#651 ·
There is a guy on themustangsource.com that has done the entire ambient light install along with the premium cluster. He has basically converted his base to a premium

#653 · (Edited)
Jim did it on his older mustang, but you do the same but get the new parts for 11-14. Here is a full console with the ambient lighting for $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-MUSTAN...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e3922a1a&vxp=mtr
You would still need the harness and the lights in the foot wells and my color door sills. myColor Door sills $99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-For...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0a54c3e2&vxp=mtr

Thread where he did his old car. I have read one where a guy did a '13 last year but do not remember where that was.
Factory Ambient Lighting - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

#655 ·
^^no, launch control will not work by doing this mod no matter the cluster

#656 ·
Okay thank you. I'm going to be ordering the GT500 cluster from Auto nation then. I want the 220MPH speedo. Only thing I need now is the as build codes. I'm going to ask for the ones off the vin number I'm using to order the cluster with. If I can't do that is there anyone who can give me the codes they used?

#658 ·
Arrrgh finally got a v91 but it's a temp license. Selling dealer advises its good for three days then you have to set the date back on your computer to use it . I added the required extension which bumped my date back to October. The computer says I don't have privilege to change the date - I'm a Mac guy - how do I get to the admin source where I can change it?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#659 ·
A friend got me into admin but it still doesn't want to let me be 'Master of Time, Space, and Dimension". XP...meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#660 · (Edited)
tezz: if you installed DeepFreeze, it wont allow you to adjust the computer date. You have to open up Deep Freeze (Press "Shift" and double click the icon) and thaw it on next restart (second checked box). Restart your computer and then you will be able to change the date.

While we are on this topic, how do you get an unlimited product license for IDS? Even with Deep Freeze it expires within 3 days, and refuses access to IDS. I keep having to uninstall and reinstall the two programs. (V90.1)

Or should I restart then shut down the computer after each IDS use? I have not tried that, but the last time I used IDS I left the computer running and I think it was able to read the computer's date.

#662 · (Edited)
How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

The DF icon isn't showing up on the desktop but when I put the cd back in it says I can't load anything until deep freeze is deactivated. Where do I find that €%#¥% thing??
Never mind I finally found it digging around....
The vcm2 is still looking for an active license. I did set back the date which got me further into the log in but I don't have the IDS number to re activate.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#665 ·
Thanks - I use Macs every day for work but I bought this XP Dell for just this purpose. So am I going to have to 'thaw' the program every time I want to use this thing?

#666 ·
The only purpose of thawing it would be to make permanent changes to the computer, change the date, etc. Otherwise, when it is enabled it won't allow you to make changes to the computer (i.e. install new programs), every time you restart the computer it will erase everything that was added.

I accidentally installed it before IDS and it took me hours (and repeated installs) to figure out that the reason why IDS was refusing to stay installed was because of the Deep Freeze.

#670 ·
Yes I used them. No problems - but if you want to be fairly accurate with the mileage and you drive your car daily, you may want to add a weeks worth of mileage. With hassles getting the VCM to work and delivery time, I'm now a couple hundred miles off. Not a huge deal....

#671 ·
I am thinking about shipping it off to them today, what was their turn around time for your? On the website it says 24 hours are typical. Did they also get the number you wanted spot on? I am going to have a higher number put on because I will have to daily the car while I get it corrected.

#672 ·
Yes their in house turnaround is about 24 hours. Add to that your delivery time to them and the return trip. They send it FedEx with a sign release. If no one's home, you can have it re-routed to a FedEx office to pick up....but again this adds time. My turnaround was probably 8 days but that was also around Christmas.
Yes they match the specific number you give them.

#675 · (Edited)
If the codes are from and auto trans car, then yes it will include the trans temp gauge. The gauge will only work if you an auto also, but it does not matter which cluster.
ie: trans temp gauge can show up and work in an automatic with a Boss Cluster that was a cluster made for only manual transmission. There is no sensor to measure trans temp in any manual car tho.

In doing a lot of work with the ipad install in this car I have learned some things that just make me wonder why we cant unlock more data that is there. For instance: With my wifi reader plugged into the OBDII port, running Dash Command on the ipad, you can choose from a wide variety of gauging that is ALL read from the pid's through the OBDII. Boost is one of them! Though there is not a sensor for Boost in these cars, Dash Command (Palmer Engineering) is able to take available pid's and write a calculation to provide Boost/Vacuum. I was designing my own skins or gauge layouts and colors with a custom option they have and it is very similar to writing old code for the web which I did a long time ago. I was able to see that they took the MAF reading along with the RPMs and wrote a calculation that would produce an accurate Boost / Vacuum gauge. I have a stand alone gauge in this car, so I compared them real time and it was dead on. It would be nice since some gauges (GT500 Gauge) does have a Boost/Vac gauge that we could get them to read out with the data that is already there. It is not like they would have to add a boost sensor, simply take the data that is already part of the pid's.
I made a gauge face to match the Boss Ice Blue color scheme and laid out all of the info I want it to display. Here is the gauge face I built and what it will look like on the ipad when we finish the install.

everything reads 32 because of the "needle tester" when you build the face. It is just a numerical slider that you can see what the gauge will look like in use.

#676 ·
If the codes are from and auto trans car, then yes it will include the trans temp gauge. The gauge will only work if you an auto also, but it does not matter which cluster.
ie: trans temp gauge can show up and work in an automatic with a Boss Cluster that was a cluster made for only manual transmission. There is no sensor to measure trans temp in any manual car tho.
Thanks. I will do this install into my car next week, the odometer got reprogrammed and is on its way back. The GT500 was put into a buddy's car. Launch Control does not work with the 5.0/GT, it may work if you get the buttons that go below the headlight switch, and possibly add some wiring for it. I doubt he will buy it and figure it out for his car. It turns on within the cluster, but does not read, "LC" like it is suppose to on the bottom of the cluster.

#677 ·
Is anyone else having trouble getting a cluster ordered? I tried two dealerships over the interwebs and neither one will sell to me. On my third try now.

Side note, if anyone has the 720 As-Built data for a 2014 manual they could PM me I'd be forever grateful. The local shops have been less than enthusiastic to hand it out. I have my own VCM II but this is proving to be a lot of trouble.

#678 ·
^^ if you read, you will find there is only one or two online dealers that will sell one. The main one in MN is mentioned several times.

#680 · (Edited)
Nice! Many will let you order it and a day later send you a message refunding you. I know that Levittown Ford would do that.

#683 ·
Think we figured out he issues some were having with some cars not getting recognized.... If your car has a pro cal or track key the VCM nock off with v86 WILL NOT recognize the car... v91 WILL but will not let you change anything other than letting you do PATS....so if you are using a Mororsport Pro-Cal, remove it first, then use your tool then reinstall afterwards......if you have a track key.... Not much you can do (as of now) than goto a dealer that will work with you....Tezz had the same issues I was with mine, we tried everything, but i figured out the common thing between the 3 cars I've tried...Motorsport Programming...but once he removed the pro cal the v86 read his PCM..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.