Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#684 ·
^^^Good info FMS. I also think Ford may be closing some of the loop holes to slow this mod down from individuals doing it. They have now secured the motorcraft site for ASBUILT codes. Those can still be looked up tho, just not as easy as it was before.

#686 ·
Yea, ordered a boss cluster for a customer 2 weeks ago from ford, never a issue with my dealer... When it came in the part number was correct but a standard cluster was in the sealed bag... I think it was my core! ... After 5 days the dealer got a correct one from a east coast depot... So, I believe the Boss clusters are starting to sell out...

#687 ·
Well, My VCMII is not working on the car. I downloaded the extend program and it says that I got the module extended to 5/28/2015 but it obviously didn't take because I get an error message that says that the VCM is not communicating with the IDS program so that the car is also not recognized as being plugged in.

When I try to run the extend program as an administrator, it says the exe file is corrupted even though previously it said that it extended it. I have the V86 version that did work last June.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Wayne

#693 ·
Well, My VCMII is not working on the car. I downloaded the extend program and it says that I got the module extended to 5/28/2015 but it obviously didn't take because I get an error message that says that the VCM is not communicating with the IDS program so that the car is also not recognized as being plugged in.

When I try to run the extend program as an administrator, it says the exe file is corrupted even though previously it said that it extended it. I have the V86 version that did work last June.

I'm not sure what to do now.

Wayne

Remove all the IDS program on your computer. Then reload it , the v82 calibration, V86 IDS and the extended programing. After reloading it keep the tool hooked to the lap top, sometimes the VCM2 needs to update itself to work with the software... Give it a shot... And you don't have a track key or Pro Cal loaded in the car.. It will not read the PCM if so..

#692 ·
It is getting tougher and tougher to do this mod at a decent price. Even used LCD clusters sell for a lot more than they used too.

#696 ·
When you bought your VCMII did they send discs with IDS & the patch or did you have to download them?

I have the disc that has IDS v86, the patch and notes on one disc. I could burn a copy of this disc and send it to you if you think your copy is no bueno. I have not had any problems with this download on any cars

#697 ·
This is the same thing I got with my VCMII and mine no longer works. I'm going to try what FMS suggests and remove the program and re-install it.

Deerslayer,
Have you had to do the extend program on your version and if so, did you have to do anything special to get it to extend the subscription?

Wayne

#701 ·
Okay thanks. When I re-install everything, will IDS work without using the extend program that I downloaded the other day or will it automatically find and load the extension that is already downloaded on the computer or should I erase that as well and start over with it.

If I need to download the extend program again, do I do this before hooking the VCM up to the car or while it is hooked up?
Thanks again.
Wayne

#700 ·
I had to wipe EVERYTHING off my computer, and then reinstall with the patch and it worked fine. Make sure to install the patch before you ever open IDS.

#703 ·
Do exactly that^^^. I recommend doing a factory reset on your windows 7 computer. Install the v86, then install the patch. Restart the computer, and then click IDS.

I am glad to say the v86 with the patch worked flawlessly with my 2014. I am not sure it it will work with the late 2014s.

I was even able to load an older software update on my VCM II (was prompted by IDS, and I followed the directions). I had to do this because I used v90 before with my VCM II

#702 ·
Wayne, do not hook up the VCM until everything is loaded. Yes you need to load IDS, the patch and the extended program. THEN you can hook up and test

#704 ·
Ok, thanks guys. I have a Dell windows XP that I bought just for this so I should be good there. My car is also an early model 14 so I shouldn't have any issues especially since it worked before.

Wayne

#708 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new but I have been following this thread for awhile, great work,I have ordered my own vcm2 and will probably need advice but right now I'm trouble shooting a 13 v6 premium with manual a\c and I have a question , with the key on /engine off does the blower fan come on? I have done extensive harness repairs and can't get my pats to program, everything seems ok and I'm not sure where to start, this is the only thing that seems off , and Kevin I have an 11gt cluster on the bench what measurement do you want?
Thanks to all

#709 ·
Kevin I have an 11gt cluster on the bench what measurement do you want?
Thanks to all
Just some overall measurements, how wide, tall, and thick the cluster is. I'm thinking of doing a coyote swap and to use the 6R80, you have to use the factory computer, not the ford racing control pack, thus I'm thinking of the idea of swapping in the full coyote wiring harness and having the factory coyote cluster work. :eek:

#711 ·
A big thank you to FMS for helping to finally getting the new cluster working - I owe you, dude!. There was no way it would read with the Track Cal profile set - once it was set back to standard tune, the VCM could read the car. Then PATS wouldn't take until we got the parameter reset. Once the codes were swapped, I reloaded the Ford Racing tune without a problem. It's all bueno now - track apps, My Color, gauges all work.

#713 ·
This thread is the best! Hey FMS, whereabouts in Socal are you? I live in Orange, and am about to start ordering my parts to do this. I ordered the cruise control switch today, then the cluster hopefully soon after that. Maybe you would be able to help me program it?

#715 ·
He's got a shop at the edge of Ventura County, so it's a bit of a drive for you. He sent his VCM back as defective but if he wants to help you out, you guys can borrow my setup. Up to FMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.