How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 23 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #771
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by visback View Post
If you are looking for a cluster you should search on LKQ. I got a 13' Premium with about 25k miles for $50
Did you ever get the cluster? I ordered one a few days after you, and still haven't heard a peep.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #772
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byock View Post
Did you ever get the cluster? I ordered one a few days after you, and still haven't heard a peep.

When I posted here wasn't when I ordered it. I got it about a month ago, but I went to the local lkq who luckily had it. So I just picked it up, didn't have to go through shipping.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #773
Kevin.Cook

13 Ford Mustang Speedometer Speedo Cluster LKQ | eBay
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #774
Registered Member
Regular

I should be doing this now, since my car is about to reach the same mileage as the cluster. I havent ordered the VCM tool yet and reading from posts here, V94 and V96 do not work? Are the versions something that the VCM tool comes built with? or can I buy any version VCM tool and install different versions of it. ALso, is v86 the way to go with a 2014 GT brembo pack. Any help is apreciated thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #775
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had my local Ford dealer program mine for $100. I had a base 13 and installed a premium 14 cluster.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #776
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I had my local Ford dealer program mine for $100. I had a base 13 and installed a premium 14 cluster.

Sent from LG G3.
Did they program ur keys for u also? So I'm assuming you did the swap at the dealer itself?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #777
Registered Member
Regular

I brought both keys and removed the bezel so the could verify the milage on the original cluster and the they removed the factory cluster, installed the new cluster and verified the milage on that one. I did have to provide them with two as built codes to have track apps, my color ect enabled. I still thank Kevin for all his help as he not only provided the two as built codes needed, he also found the cluster for me on ebay!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #778
Registered Member
Regular

So now I have a very unique 13 mustang with a 14 premium cluster that is actually different than the 13 cluster. 😀

Sent from LG G3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443892389129.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	191797  
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #779
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I brought both keys and removed the bezel so the could verify the milage on the original cluster and the they removed the factory cluster, installed the new cluster and verified the milage on that one. I did have to provide them with two as built codes to have track apps, my color ect enabled. I still thank Kevin for all his help as he not only provided the two as built codes needed, he also found the cluster for me on ebay!

Sent from LG G3.
That sounds like a nice dealer lol. Did you have to get ur mileage changed on the cluster? I asked my dealer about changing it and they said it's not stored in the cluster so I left since they didn't know what they were talking about. I might go and see if they will swap it out for me.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #780
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That sounds like a nice dealer lol. Did you have to get ur mileage changed on the cluster? I asked my dealer about changing it and they said it's not stored in the cluster so I left since they didn't know what they were talking about. I might go and see if they will swap it out for me.
My dealer is awesome! The milage on the car was 23000 km and the new cluster had only 6500 km. They said as long as they can do the swap to verify the milage on both clusters they will just add the difference between the two for the actual milage on the car for all warranty work.
We had bought new Mazda's before and were very happy with the cars, but every time the car had to go in for something they were busting our balls on having to pay for this and that, always trying to take advantage of us, especially my wife.
It got to the point that I said f it, I don't care if I like their cars I'm fed up of dealing with not just one but two dealers that were always trying to get more money out of us when the car was going in for a simple oil change.
I traded my Mazda 3 for my 13 mustang and was so happy with the service from the garage side of things, 6 months later we traded my wifes Mazda 5 gt for a 2014 Fusion eco.
Its really worth the piece of mind when your dealing with an honest dealer who isn't always trying to screw you over. From what I read I'm one of the lucky few, and can honestly tell you that we will buy our next cars from this very dealer!

Sorry for the long post but IMO a great dealer is not only good for the customer its also good for the manufacturer for repeat business!

No matter how good my Mazda's were I'll NEVER go back!
Sent from LG G3.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 AM   #781

Region: Florida
Anybody in the south Florida area has done this by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Moisesc93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 AM   #782

I'm trying to get these as built codes from the website mentioned on the last page but it's not working or does it take a while to give me the codes? Any have these codes by any chance?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #783
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moisesc93 View Post
I'm trying to get these as built codes from the website mentioned on the last page but it's not working or does it take a while to give me the codes? Any have these codes by any chance?

Make sure you are using Internet Explorer to access the site.
go to:
Motorcraft Technical Resource
Click "Quick Guides" on the left side
Scroll down to "Module Built Data, As-built"
Enter VIN
rdplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #784
Kevin.Cook

Finally...swapping cluster

Cluster question.

You might find your AS Built codes in one of those threads....
Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #785

Thank you guys! And by any chance anyone in florida that has the VCM2 tool and knows how to do this?

Old 10-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #786
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so I got my VCM2 and my car reached the mileage that was on the cluster. Swap was very simple, plug and play. I had issues with the software just like everyone else.

First I installed v81 of the IDS, installed fine but would not detect VCM
Installed v91 with fordextendprogram, installed fine and detected VCM, also allowed access to PATS, at this point I did not do the PATS because I couldn't find the spare key. But it would not allow me into Module programming.
SO I installed v86 with the patch, said the VCM software was higher version then IDS and needed to update.
Installed v96 without internet like stated, Kept wanting to update to higher versions.
SO In the end I installed v91 again and did the Pats with the 2 keys, went smoothly. Again no module programming available, but! TrackApps showed up after doing PATS! So everything is working just fine now, didn't need to input any asbuilt data codes. Maybe this will help someone in the future. Total costs - 13' premium cluster from LKQ - $50, VCM2 - $150, CC Switch- $45, so total it costed me $245, but I could sell my VCM and get some money back. Pretty cheap and easy mod! Thanks everyone on here that put the information out, and thank you kevin.cook for answering my questions! VCM is for sale so let me know if anyone wants it.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #787
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'll buy your vcm

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #788
Registered Member
Regular

I believe the software is locked to his pc/mac, you would have to purchase another licence.
I was going to do this with another member but ended up doing it with my dealer, 80$.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #789
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Damn nvm then

Jvibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #790
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Alright so I got my VCM2 and my car reached the mileage that was on the cluster. Swap was very simple, plug and play. I had issues with the software just like everyone else.

First I installed v81 of the IDS, installed fine but would not detect VCM
Installed v91 with fordextendprogram, installed fine and detected VCM, also allowed access to PATS, at this point I did not do the PATS because I couldn't find the spare key. But it would not allow me into Module programming.
SO I installed v86 with the patch, said the VCM software was higher version then IDS and needed to update.
Installed v96 without internet like stated, Kept wanting to update to higher versions.
SO In the end I installed v91 again and did the Pats with the 2 keys, went smoothly. Again no module programming available, but! TrackApps showed up after doing PATS! So everything is working just fine now, didn't need to input any asbuilt data codes. Maybe this will help someone in the future. Total costs - 13' premium cluster from LKQ - $50, VCM2 - $150, CC Switch- $45, so total it costed me $245, but I could sell my VCM and get some money back. Pretty cheap and easy mod! Thanks everyone on here that put the information out, and thank you kevin.cook for answering my questions! VCM is for sale so let me know if anyone wants it.
Where did you but your cluster? I see you said LKQ but what is that?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #791
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

They are a wrecking company who sells on eBay.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #792
Registered Member
Regular

I dont believe the VCM is locked to the car or anything? Once u install a new IDS software on your computer you should have a new license.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #793
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post

They also sell local at shops, luckily one of there stores is near my location so I just picked it up. They also have there own website with a lot of clusters with vins of the cars provided that they came off, so you just got to check the vins for each cluster and find one that came off a premium.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #794
Kevin.Cook

No, the license is locked to the computer. I just got my VCM back and installed IDS on a new laptop. License doesn't work anymore. Just have to reinstall it every 3 days if I choose to use it again after that time.

I just say today there is a LKQ junkyard between Austin and San Antonio. If it wasn't raining really bad, I would have stopped by just to see what they had. Lol

Pick up some premium clusters for dirt cheap and resell them! LOL!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #795

Region: California
I been following this thread for months and I finally get it! LOL. I have a base 2012.

I want to install a Premium Gauge Cluster on my 2012. Before I start ordering I want someone to confirm the following:

2012 premium stangs do not need the steering wheel switch, the gauges are controlled by the buttons near the headlight switch.

In order to do this swap will i need the following?
2012 Premium Steering Wheel(Just because the 2012 base steering wheel is horrible..google it).
2012 Premium Gauge Cluster
VCM II Tool
that's it right?

Steps:
1. Get a new 2012 prem cluster or have someone set the mileage.
2. Install the cluster my self
3. Do a PATS relearn with the VCM tool for both of my keys
4. Turn the car on and test everything.
5. Install premium steering wheel, just to have a fancy looking wheel.

If this work it might help other 2011/2012 owners. Since 2011/2012 premiums didn't come with any of the track apps I don't think we need any ASBuilt codes or flash anything.

Can someone please confirm?

PONY REPUBLIC C.C. | LOS ANGELES CHAPTER
intoadaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 AM   #796
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I plan to do this at tax season. I just want to be able to change the colors on mine.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #797
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoadaze View Post
I been following this thread for months and I finally get it! LOL. I have a base 2012.

I want to install a Premium Gauge Cluster on my 2012. Before I start ordering I want someone to confirm the following:

2012 premium stangs do not need the steering wheel switch, the gauges are controlled by the buttons near the headlight switch.

In order to do this swap will i need the following?
2012 Premium Steering Wheel(Just because the 2012 base steering wheel is horrible..google it).
2012 Premium Gauge Cluster
VCM II Tool
that's it right?

Steps:
1. Get a new 2012 prem cluster or have someone set the mileage.
2. Install the cluster my self
3. Do a PATS relearn with the VCM tool for both of my keys
4. Turn the car on and test everything.
5. Install premium steering wheel, just to have a fancy looking wheel.

If this work it might help other 2011/2012 owners. Since 2011/2012 premiums didn't come with any of the track apps I don't think we need any ASBuilt codes or flash anything.

Can someone please confirm?
That should be it. Do you have reverse sensors or anything unique? If so, you might want to snag the AS Built codes just in case that cluster's car did not have the same setup. Because although those features will work, there will not be any options to manage them from the menu.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #798
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
That should be it. Do you have reverse sensors or anything unique? If so, you might want to snag the AS Built codes just in case that cluster's car did not have the same setup. Because although those features will work, there will not be any options to manage them from the menu.

My guess is he doesn't have anything fancy if he has a base steering wheel. I don't believe you can get ANY upgrades that doesn't include an upgrade that would include an upgraded steering wheel
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #799
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
My guess is he doesn't have anything fancy if he has a base steering wheel. I don't believe you can get ANY upgrades that doesn't include an upgrade that would include an upgraded steering wheel
If it did require the better steering wheel, it would be pointless. As nothing on the steering wheel affects the Reverse Sensing and Security Package. The option to enable or disable it is controlled through the info buttons near the headlight switch (not on the steering wheel). And it included lock nuts for the wheels. I THINK the security system itself is slightly upgraded to alert on a few more things. But none of that would require a steering wheel upgrade on a 2011/2012.

They are not like the 13/14 where the menu is controlled by the steering wheel buttons.

The steering wheel swap is PURELY cosmetic for the most part on the 11-12 V6s and GTs. Unless you have more features like with the Tech Package. But that is separate then the Security Package.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #800
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
If it did require the better steering wheel, it would be pointless. As nothing on the steering wheel affects the Reverse Sensing and Security Package. The option to enable or disable it is controlled through the info buttons near the headlight switch (not on the steering wheel). And it included lock nuts for the wheels. I THINK the security system itself is slightly upgraded to alert on a few more things. But none of that would require a steering wheel upgrade on a 2011/2012.

They are not like the 13/14 where the menu is controlled by the steering wheel buttons.

The steering wheel swap is PURELY cosmetic for the most part on the 11-12 V6s and GTs. Unless you have more features like with the Tech Package. But that is separate then the Security Package.

What I'm saying is ford doesn't typically offer something like backup sensors where a base steering wheel would be available. For instance, if you want a brembo car, you can't get it without a tech pack which includes power driver seat and leather wrapped steering wheel.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #801
Kevin.Cook

Well then here is a new item for everyone. 2012 Ford Mustang For Sale - CarGurus

2012 Mustang has the reverse sensors and plain steering wheel.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #802
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Well then here is a new item for everyone. 2012 Ford Mustang For Sale - CarGurus

2012 Mustang has the reverse sensors and plain steering wheel.

Like I said typically. Not exclusively. How long did it take you to find that gem?
Old 10-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #803
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Like I said typically. Not exclusively. How long did it take you to find that gem?
Not even 1 min. Lol. Just a quick google search.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #804

Region: California
Quote:
Perfect, what is the latest VCM Tool that actually works, or will work with my installation?

Yea my car is probably the most BASE car Ford has ever built. It does not have reverse sensors or anything unique.

PONY REPUBLIC C.C. | LOS ANGELES CHAPTER
intoadaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #805
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoadaze View Post
Perfect, what is the latest VCM Tool that actually works, or will work with my installation?

Yea my car is probably the most BASE car Ford has ever built. It does not have reverse sensors or anything unique.
Idk man, those Fog Lights seem to come at a premium for the V6s. My 2011 V6 is a Premium, has the Performance Package, and Backup Camera. But Ford still didn't put fog lights. LOL

I tested and the v91 software seems to be legit. I wouldn't install anything higher then that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang