Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#719 · (Edited)
Have you checked with AutoNation in Bear Lake MN? When ordering, you provide the VIN of a mustang that already has a 4.2" cluster so you get the right part. You also provide YOUR mileage and you pay a core charge that is refunded to you when you send your cluster back in to them. Here is their phone # 1-800-328-9552
Example: Here is a VIN of a car that does have a track apps cluster 1ZVBP8CF3E5259074

#720 ·
If I do this to my 14 mustang gt.. I'll put the gauge cluster and steering wheel button on the myself then have them program it. Will the Ford mechanics know what to all program? And how do you get the milage correct or can they do that there as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#721 ·
How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

Read the thread pages, Brett ... You will find your answers

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#722 ·
Bret, I should point out the hard part is the programming - swapping in the switch and cluster can literally be done in 20 minutes but your car WILL NOT RUN to get you to your dealer. And unless you have a working relationship with the dealer service guys, they will only reset it to the standard base functions. For track apps to work, the codes must be changed.
Re the mileage, ordered new from the dealer, you will give them your mileage when you order it. If you find a used one, you will have to send it off to a shop to get the mileage corrected... or live with the mileage of the donor car - which is technically illegal.
If you can find someone close with the VCM/laptop, they can help you with code change and save you some $.
Again, this info is posted earlier in the thread....

#724 ·
Hello I'm new to this page getting ready to swap out my base cluster with a premium cluster. I have a 2013 Base GT only option is track pack. My question is where do I get the ASBUILT codes for the ABS module. I have seen a link I believe on here and when I click on it it says I don't have permission. My other question is do they all have my color?

#725 ·
All the Premiums have my color but pretty sure the Boss ones do not. The asbuilts used to e free but now I think you have to sign up for a 'subscription' which is I believe around $30. Someone here have a subscription he can run a vin thru?

#726 ·
Im jut starting my cluster update and have been following this trend for a while just could not get my hands on one. Now i have one and I'm getting my odometer sync. I have been looking for the as built code so i can load the track app but all the links posted on this forum don't work and i was just wondering if anyone has this or is it just a dead end. help please

#727 ·
Right - it used to be free then Ford got protective with their info and you have to 'subscribe' ( I.e. pay) for the access.
There must be someone here who has an active subscription who will help you out?

#730 ·
Anyone have a part number to a track apps cluster?
Again - read back through the thread - it's there. You need a premium vin when you order the part or you will get the same as your stock one from the dealer.
If your Mustang is indeed 'charged' you probably have a tune -
It may not let you load the new codes - mine didn't until I reset to stock tune (I have the Track Cal). Deerslayer can help you with that since his is supercharged.

#731 ·
The reason I asked is I ordered a used one through a scrap yard and got the same base cluster I currently have using a part number I got out of this thread. I asked the guy on the phone if it had the LCD screen and he said yes but didn't sound to sure. Ruined my day I will call to return it tomorrow but will get screwed out of my shipping. Just don't want to make the same mistake twice. I believe deerslayer said in this thread that you can do it without disrupting your tune. Does he ever come on here anymore? Also I got my VCM2 clone V86 today and don't see anything about a patch? Any help is much appreciated.

#732 ·
I think the numbers are listed as the same, which is the problem. You need to ask them if they see the two gauges in the center - if so, it's a standard/base model. The premiums will show nothing there until plugged in.
Deerslayer still shows up occasionally but he may be burned out on this thread. Try sending him a PM. PM me your e-address - I think I have the patch somewhere and will send it to you.

Reactions: Blown13Coyote
#734 ·
Boss Cluster Upgrade

I was surprised after upgrading my cluster, the My Color pieces in my car still illuminate. Don't get me wrong, I can't pull up the color options in the cluster to change the color, but the color I was on with my premium tracks apps cluster still works. The Boss cluster is way cool!!!

#735 ·
I finally found a cluster and all the other bits needed. Got them installed, and PATS update, so the car runs.. But the as-built data is another story. My IDS clone will not give me access to the module programming no mater how many times I uninstall & reinstall, update software. I have tried both V86 & V91... I am at a loss. Any ideas? 2013 GT
I am in Austin.

#741 ·
This is why I gave up on doing this modification. I tried to get my IDS clone to get access to the module programming to update the info for the larger size tires I was running and could not get it to work. Luckily I had not found a cluster yet so I wasn't out that money.

I was able to access the module programming on my clone when I first got it but I guess after the subscription or whatever ran out, I couldn't anymore even after updating the software. I gave up on it.

Hopefully someone can help you out and get yours to work.

Wayne

#737 ·
I did. When I would go into the Module Programming , it would say that it isn't available. After re-reading the entire thread, it looks like V86 no longer allows it. My disk came with V81, V86, V91 & V94.
V81 wouldn't even install.
V86 allowed PATS, but not module programming.
V91 kept crashing while opening, and wouldn't communicate with the VCM tool.
V94 looked like it was going to open, but wanted me to install V96.

#739 ·
I know I'm not gonna be much help but I have a '14 GT and just did this a month or so ago. I tried v86 but could only do so much and then tried v91 which kept giving me an error but the programmer gave in before I did and it eventually worked. It would keep giving me errors but I would just keep trying and eventually it worked. I didn't do anything special just kept repeating the instructions in this thread. I didn't try v96.

#740 ·
You may have to uninstall later versions than 86 then reinstall 86 with the patch - sorry it's been months and my memory is fading. I did have to take out my FR tune to get it to work then put it back once the pod was working.

#742 ·
I initially installed V86 with the patch. That version actually opened and worked for PATS. I uninstalled it to try the other versions for module programming. No luck on any of it. I am tuned with the ProCal, but i uninstalled it prior to starting this whole thing. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to keep trying this thing!

#743 ·
I bought my clone about a year ago and it came with the V86 and that is it. I also did the patch with no results. Unfortunately I don't have patience for this type of stuff and is why I gave up on it. I wasn't going to spend what it costs to get a new cluster with no guarantee that I could get it to work. Hopefully you can figure something out or maybe you can find a Ford dealer that will do it for you. I know one guy in this thread was able to have it done by a dealer. After my car is out of warranty I may go that route because at that point, Ford is not responsible for fixing anything and may be more receptive to do the programming it takes to complete this modification.

Wayne

G
#744 ·
Depends on the dealer. Most dealers WILL do this if you tell them your old cluster broke so you got another one. Tell them all you need them to do is enter the AS BUILT codes and such. But you will have to speak directly with a shop tech. DO NOT tell this to the person sitting at the front desk as they will most likely look at you with a blank face. Someone I know got the dealer to do it for $80. You will need them to enter the codes and do a PATS relearn with both keys if you have not yet.

Your car should be driveable just by doing the PATS. The other codes is usually to enable Track Apps and such. I know because I did this on my car about 9 months ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.