Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#745 ·
Well.. Sadly I am giving up on completing this myself. I was able to get V91 to install and recognize my car after I rolled back the update on the VCM, but module programming did not work. Uninstalled V91 and installed V94, it will not run, and immediately wants to update to V96.01. After that installs, it wants to update to V96.03. After that has completed, it opens with an error about the database & software not matching.
I have an appointment with Covert Monday.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anybody want to buy a VCM? :lol:

#747 ·
Well.. Sadly I am giving up on completing this myself. I was able to get V91 to install and recognize my car after I rolled back the update on the VCM, but module programming did not work. Uninstalled V91 and installed V94, it will not run, and immediately wants to update to V96.01. After that installs, it wants to update to V96.03. After that has completed, it opens with an error about the database & software not matching.

I have an appointment with Covert Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anybody want to buy a VCM? :lol:

I will take it off your hands. Sent a pm

??Vote Ox for July MOTM!??

IG @Oxford5pointoh

#757 ·
Thank goodness I'm patient lol

I have the boss cluster and the CC button but haven't got around to installing. I can run by a dealer to get the keys programmed and everything will work except track apps? Track apps requires as built data from a vin # from the car that has one? The technician can do all this you think? I don't know anyone in the Houston area who can help atm. Deerslayer went MIA on me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

G
#758 ·
Reprogramming the keys with the new cluster will allow you to drive around. Yes, AS Built codes are just to enable track apps. Also, if you have reverse sensors, make sure to get the AS Built codes from another Premium that has the backup sensors as well. Otherwise, they WILL work, but the option to manage them WILL NOT appear in the LCD menu.

Most dealers will be ok with punching in the AS Built codes for you as long as you explain the process to them and provide them with the correct codes. I say most, but some areas are lazy/unwilling.

#760 ·
So I have read completely thru this thread, watched a couple of YouTube videos, and think this is a non complicated Mod for 13/14 owners. However I did not notice any V6 Owners replying to the thread though. My situation is I have a 2014 Base V6 with performance package that I would love to add some of the Premium options to like the cluster upgrade.

My concern of course is doing anything to void the warranty since I have only 9K miles on my Stang. Wondering if anyone had the dealer do cluster upgrade swapping the base, eg order the part thru their parts department, have them do the swap / Pats reprogram just to keep the service history and Odometer accuracy to avoid any warranty issues.

I figure then I could just use the ABS codes for a 2014 Premium V6 with Performance Package (already found a vin and verified by pulling up org factory sticker) and and ECM II and turn on the MyColor / Track Apps options myself. I could ask tech, but my local dealership is pretty big and doesn't strike me as the place that would not conform to Ford policy. So I am wondering if I can just approach them as treating this as your typical Ford Mustang customization, much like asking them to install stuff you buy off Ford Racing website. Opinions or Experiences?

#768 ·
For the V86 you need to crack the IDS software to allow module programing. Ill have to look at where it is with the file i was sent but it was included. V94 is a waste to install unless its in a VM. But when its like that its hard as hell to use and you obviously have to update the tool to the V94. V86 worked just fine on my 2014 so noone else should have any issues

#774 ·
I should be doing this now, since my car is about to reach the same mileage as the cluster. I havent ordered the VCM tool yet and reading from posts here, V94 and V96 do not work? Are the versions something that the VCM tool comes built with? or can I buy any version VCM tool and install different versions of it. ALso, is v86 the way to go with a 2014 GT brembo pack. Any help is apreciated thanks!

#777 ·
I brought both keys and removed the bezel so the could verify the milage on the original cluster and the they removed the factory cluster, installed the new cluster and verified the milage on that one. I did have to provide them with two as built codes to have track apps, my color ect enabled. I still thank Kevin for all his help as he not only provided the two as built codes needed, he also found the cluster for me on ebay!

Sent from LG G3.

#779 ·
That sounds like a nice dealer lol. Did you have to get ur mileage changed on the cluster? I asked my dealer about changing it and they said it's not stored in the cluster so I left since they didn't know what they were talking about. I might go and see if they will swap it out for me.

#786 ·
Alright so I got my VCM2 and my car reached the mileage that was on the cluster. Swap was very simple, plug and play. I had issues with the software just like everyone else.

First I installed v81 of the IDS, installed fine but would not detect VCM
Installed v91 with fordextendprogram, installed fine and detected VCM, also allowed access to PATS, at this point I did not do the PATS because I couldn't find the spare key. But it would not allow me into Module programming.
SO I installed v86 with the patch, said the VCM software was higher version then IDS and needed to update.
Installed v96 without internet like stated, Kept wanting to update to higher versions.
SO In the end I installed v91 again and did the Pats with the 2 keys, went smoothly. Again no module programming available, but! TrackApps showed up after doing PATS! So everything is working just fine now, didn't need to input any asbuilt data codes. Maybe this will help someone in the future. Total costs - 13' premium cluster from LKQ - $50, VCM2 - $150, CC Switch- $45, so total it costed me $245, but I could sell my VCM and get some money back. Pretty cheap and easy mod! Thanks everyone on here that put the information out, and thank you kevin.cook for answering my questions! VCM is for sale so let me know if anyone wants it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.