How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
NICE! Told ya. The VCMII is worth a LOT more than just doing the cluster install. It has a TON of uses for these cars
Congrats MP187
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #177

Region: New York
Alright guys thanks again, I'll let you guys know once I get all the parts and try it.
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #178

Ordered both the steering wheel switch and a new instrument cluster, the dealer website would not allow me to have it shipped home so I have to go in once it's arrived at the parts department. Decided not to order the VCM yet since I won't have the part until it comes in and they hopefully release it to me. Maybe they'll just install it for me and load up the build data I give them without any hassles, what are the odds? lol.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Alastor, the dealer WILL install it for you. It just wont have the track apps or my color. Get the VCMII and you can unlock them yourself. That is another route people can take that is easy as well.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #180

Yeah that seems to be the route I'm taking as well. When you upload the AS BUILT data onto the new IPC do you populate everything from the as built data from the VIN you selected or do you keep the data from your vehicle and just swap (720-01-01) and (720-02-01)?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Just swap the 720 codes. No need to change anything else. One other person I know went your route. He bought the cluster from his local dealer. They installed it as a "base LED) cluster where it only shows miles to empty and other basic things. No track apps or gauges.
He bought a VCMII and I talked to him showing him how to change the ASBUILT codes and it was litterally a 5 min job and he had Track Apps and all of the gauges. If you have an automatic, you will even get another trans temp gauge that manual trans cars do not get.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Just swap the 720 codes. No need to change anything else. One other person I know went your route. He bought the cluster from his local dealer. They installed it as a "base LED) cluster where it only shows miles to empty and other basic things. No track apps or gauges.
He bought a VCMII and I talked to him showing him how to change the ASBUILT codes and it was litterally a 5 min job and he had Track Apps and all of the gauges. If you have an automatic, you will even get another trans temp gauge that manual trans cars do not get.

So just to clarify, if you just change the 720 codes, you will get track apps, my color, all of the gauges including the trans temp gauge for the automatic transmission? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So just to clarify, if you just change the 720 codes, you will get track apps, my color, all of the gauges including the trans temp gauge for the automatic transmission? Thanks.
Yes. Use the ASBUILT codes from a premium that has track apps and you will.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. Use the ASBUILT codes from a premium that has track apps and you will.

So do all premium cars have track apps? I used the VIN from a car off of ebay that is a Premium car and plugged that into the ASBUILT link that was given and printed off the Module codes.

I'm assuming that all Premium cars have track apps. Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure you find a premium with the 4.2" LCD cluster. It will have Track apps
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I don't know what the difference between the premium clusters is. I will have to do some more research.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

I found another car on ebay that showed the track apps in the instrument cluster so I used it's VIN to put in the ASBUILT website. Now I just need to find a cluster or save up to get a new one.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Was it an automatic? To get the transmission temp gauge, it needs to be an auto. No biggie if not, that is the only gauge that wont show up.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was it an automatic? To get the transmission temp gauge, it needs to be an auto. No biggie if not, that is the only gauge that wont show up.

Yes, it is an automatic. It's a 14GT premium convertible. I just copied the 720-01-01 and 720-02-01 information for this car and that is it.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Dear Deerslayer,

I have a 2013 base gt, I have a used 2013 premium gt cluster along with the steering wheel switch. There is a lot going on in this thread. lol getting a little mixed up.

You wrote "If you have a '13, there is no need to flash your PCM at all. You would would only need to install the switch and cluster, do the PATS key relearn/reset and change the ASBUILT codes ONLY for the ABS module. (only two codes)."

Can all this be done with the cluster, switch, and vcm2? and is that all that has to be done?

Also all of the vcm2's I see for sale say compatible with windows xp, do you know if they work with windows 7?

Thank you in advance!!
yacob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacob454 View Post
Dear Deerslayer,

I have a 2013 base gt, I have a used 2013 premium gt cluster along with the steering wheel switch. There is a lot going on in this thread. lol getting a little mixed up.

You wrote "If you have a '13, there is no need to flash your PCM at all. You would would only need to install the switch and cluster, do the PATS key relearn/reset and change the ASBUILT codes ONLY for the ABS module. (only two codes)."

Can all this be done with the cluster, switch, and vcm2? and is that all that has to be done?

Also all of the vcm2's I see for sale say compatible with windows xp, do you know if they work with windows 7?

Thank you in advance!!

I'm not Deerslayer but from reading this thread you will need the three things you mention as well as the ASBUILT codes from a Premium car with track apps. You need one from an automatic equipped car if you have an automatic and want the automatic transmission temp gauge. The link to get the ASBUILT codes is in this post. You just have to substitute the VIN of the Car you want to use for the one in the link. Also on page 5 of this thread, Deerslayer says the VCMII will work with Windows 7.

Wayne
Old 06-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Great! Thank you 70monte! I just wanted to verify that I was taking everything in correctly!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great! Thank you 70monte! I just wanted to verify that I was taking everything in correctly!

You are welcome.

Wayne
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

CORRECT. If you have a base 13 or 14, steering wheel switch, cluster, do PATS and change the ASBUILT codes for the two 720 lines to ASBUILT codes from a premium with a LCD Track Apps Cluster. If you are installing a Boss Cluster, obviously, use the codes for a Boss with an LCD Track Apps Cluster. The VCMII can do everything with the exception of changing an odometer. IF you buy one new, it will have your mileage, if used, you either send it off to have it changed or live with it. People have used the VCMII with windows 7 and some with 8, but you need to install as the ADMINISTRATOR. If not, it will not let you open all of your programming.
Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #195

Just dropped the car off at the dealer, will be picking up tomorrow since they had a ton of traffic today and couldn't work on it. I spoke to both the service advisor and the tech, told them what I wanted done and I handed them instructions that I typed out, including the swap of the 720 codes which I told them to swap manually. They didn't seem to have a problem with it at all, I'm not celebrating because I know how these guys work but hopefully they'll handle the whole thing. Told me it would be 125 dollars.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet. Let us know if they pull it off.
That would be classified as a COOL dealership if so.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #197

Lol yeah fingers crossed, also not the cheapest route but I couldn't locate a used LCD cluster.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - Part #: ER3Z10849EA - $624.92/ $53.90 tax
CC Switch from Ebay - Part # Motorcraft SW-6911- $21.99
Dealer Labor - 125.00 Total: $825.81 minus the core refund of $300, $525.81

This is all assuming they swap those damn 720s.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Total of 525.81 is NOT bad at all if that ends up being your total out of pocket.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Lol yeah fingers crossed, also not the cheapest route but I couldn't locate a used LCD cluster.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - Part #: ER3Z10849EA - $624.92/ $53.90 tax
CC Switch from Ebay - Part # Motorcraft SW-6911- $21.99
Dealer Labor - 125.00 Total: $825.81 minus the core refund of $300, $525.81

This is all assuming they swap those damn 720s.

Did you buy your cluster from the dealer who is installing it? The price you quoted seems to be the retail price of the cluster. I found it online for around $455. I will probably have to buy a new one because I can't seem to find a used one either.

Are any of you guys concerned about the warranty on the cluster when doing this swap?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Did you buy your cluster from the dealer who is installing it? The price you quoted seems to be the retail price of the cluster. I found it online for around $455. I will probably have to buy a new one because I can't seem to find a used one either.

Are any of you guys concerned about the warranty on the cluster when doing this swap?
Yeah I bought it from the same dealer I got my car from and they're the ones installing it. When I called to order the part they told me I couldn't order a cluster for no reason, so I went to the fordparts website and using the VIN from a premium car I located the right cluster and ordered it. They allow you to select which dealer you want to buy it from, so I picked the same one. Next day they called me asking for mileage to finalize they purchase.

I saw plenty of websites offering the cluster from 400-600 etc, but I noticed both the base and premium cluster have the same part number and through most of those websites I couldn't verify I was ordering the right part so I went the dealer route. I figured since I bought it from them they would be more inclined to cater to my requests during install.

The cluster has a 2yr. warranty since it's a OEM ford part.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Do any of you all know how to reset, or change my odometer to the correct mileage after I swap them?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I bought it from the same dealer I got my car from and they're the ones installing it. When I called to order the part they told me I couldn't order a cluster for no reason, so I went to the fordparts website and using the VIN from a premium car I located the right cluster and ordered it. They allow you to select which dealer you want to buy it from, so I picked the same one. Next day they called me asking for mileage to finalize they purchase.

I saw plenty of websites offering the cluster from 400-600 etc, but I noticed both the base and premium cluster have the same part number and through most of those websites I couldn't verify I was ordering the right part so I went the dealer route. I figured since I bought it from them they would be more inclined to cater to my requests during install.

The cluster has a 2yr. warranty since it's a OEM ford part.

Thanks for the info. I went to the fordparts.com website and put in the VIN of the car that I was going to use and went to the dealer that I plan to buy from. They say they will sell it for $556.18 I didn't finalize the sale because I'm not quite ready to buy. Neither fordparts or my dealer showed the full part number. Both just showed 10849 as the part number.

I will be waiting to hear if your dealer does the full setup and gets every thing working.

Wayne
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do any of you all know how to reset, or change my odometer to the correct mileage after I swap them?
You buy a new one and they will ask your mileage and it will come programmed. If you buy a used cluster, either send it off to a shop in NY to have it adjusted or you live with the mileage on the cluster which is not recommended. Trust me, save time and trouble and buy a new one. Saving about 100 is not worth the time and trouble getting one reset with your mileage. Costs over 100 after shipping and they ask for the odometer you want reset AND your odometer. NO THANKS
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
anybody have the part number for the 13 boss cluster with lcd screen?

more to come...
RubyRed14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Boss LCD Cluster = DR3Z10849CA
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #206

All done, dealer came through. A tip for anyone going the dealer route, bring a print out instructions of what you want done instead of just telling them to install the cluster and to change the build data. Otherwise you leave it in their hands to go the extra step and unlock the features for you. They made a copy of my instructions and clipped it onto the service request. That way you can come back when it's done and ask if everything in your instructions was done.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #207

Quote:
All done, dealer came through. A tip for anyone going the dealer route, bring a print out instructions of what you want done instead of just telling them to install the cluster and to change the build data. Otherwise you leave it in their hands to go the extra step and unlock the features for you. They made a copy of my instructions and clipped it onto the service request. That way you can come back when it's done and ask if everything in your instructions was done.
You should post these instructions here..
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dineau View Post
You should post these instructions here..
Sure, first of all I wanna say thanks to Deerslayer for providing us -all- the info required to pull this off and a couple of other guys for asking the right questions and making it easier for the rest of us. I copied some things and put together this little write up from the info I've gathered in this thread.

2013-2014 Premium instrument cluster swap into base model.
13 & 14s swaps are super simple, just plug n play with the steering wheel switch and install the cluster and only change the asbuilt data in the ABS module for the parameters (720-01-01) & (720-02-01) the IPC to function properly. Could easily be done from home if you purchase a VCM II and the IDS software.
Besides the IPC & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:
1) PATS RELEARN - Needs to be reset otherwise vehicle will enter a no start condition. Requires both regular and the spare key.
2) Load ASBUILT - Need to download build data/info from original cluster and upload it onto the new cluster. This will allow your PCM communicate with cluster. This will make the cluster functional as a base cluster since it's still coded to behave like one. Will require tech to manually edit 2 parameters through the IDS software to code the cluster to behave like a premium cluster.
Steps:
Plug n Play with the Steering wheel switch ->
Through IDS run Program Module Installation ->
Instrument Panel Cluster -> Module Programming ->
Body -> PATS erase -> PATS reset ->

Module Programming -> AsBuilt ->
(720-01-01) manually enter -F798 EF61 08-
(720-02-01) manually enter -FA8D 0000 B1-

I just walked in there, talked with the service advisor and explained what I wanted done, asked for a tech, told him the same and handed them the print out. NOTE: These 720 codes are the ones needed for my vehicle. When I went to pick it up I asked the advisor if everything in the instructions was done including the input of those last codes and he said yeah and that the track apps were pretty cool
Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Sure, first of all I wanna say thanks to Deerslayer for providing us -all- the info required to pull this off and a couple of other guys for asking the right questions and making it easier for the rest of us. I copied some things and put together this little write up from the info I've gathered in this thread.

2013-2014 Premium instrument cluster swap into base model.
13 & 14s swaps are super simple, just plug n play with the steering wheel switch and install the cluster and only change the asbuilt data in the ABS module for the parameters (720-01-01) & (720-02-01) the IPC to function properly. Could easily be done from home if you purchase a VCM II and the IDS software.
Besides the IPC & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:
1) PATS RELEARN - Needs to be reset otherwise vehicle will enter a no start condition. Requires both regular and the spare key.
2) Load ASBUILT - Need to download build data/info from original cluster and upload it onto the new cluster. This will allow your PCM communicate with cluster. This will make the cluster functional as a base cluster since it's still coded to behave like one. Will require tech to manually edit 2 parameters through the IDS software to code the cluster to behave like a premium cluster.
Steps:
Plug n Play with the Steering wheel switch ->
Through IDS run Program Module Installation ->
Instrument Panel Cluster -> Module Programming ->
Body -> PATS erase -> PATS reset ->

Module Programming -> AsBuilt ->
(720-01-01) manually enter -F798 EF61 08-
(720-02-01) manually enter -FA8D 0000 B1-

I just walked in there, talked with the service advisor and explained what I wanted done, asked for a tech, told him the same and handed them the print out. NOTE: These 720 codes are the ones needed for my vehicle. When I went to pick it up I asked the advisor if everything in the instructions was done including the input of those last codes and he said yeah and that the track apps were pretty cool
I have a 14 and am switching to the boss lcd cluster. would any of the info in this need to be changed for my car?

more to come...
RubyRed14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #210

Ruby the process should be the same from what I've read on here. The only difference is that you will need the boss cluster and build data from a boss model, those 720 codes to be specific. Can just copy/paste it and replace the codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang