How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
That's true. Do you know how expensive a new track key enabled cluster is? Is there a special part nun for it? How intrusive is it to remove and install the cluster? With only 1500 miles on my car I'm a little squeamish about taking apart things that aren't broke and don't squeak or rattle.
tacoma96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #282
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dont know the cost, but the install is a breeze.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, that makes me feel better. Do you think that is a dealer only item?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #284
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Yes EASY, premium cluster has mycolor and will work in any '13 or '14 with only changing the ASBUILT to premium

The tuning is on your PCM, the track key is on the firmware of your cluster. '12 & '13 boss clusters have the firmware to run track key. If your PCM has been made a "dual path" PCM with two tunes, you need a cluster than has the firmware to communicate with each. The clusters that do this are: '12 & '13 Boss clusters, >07/01/14 Premium Clusters. Changing a cluster will not change the programming on your PCM, you will just need to make sure the cluster you switch too is track key enabled.

... Man i got a 13 GT cluster to install on my 14, what im going to do is install the cluster and then im dropping the car at the dealer to do the trackey like the cluster was always there lets see what happens.
WARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Why wouldn't you have purchased a late '14 cluster instead of a '13? I assume the '13 cluster is from a Boss?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #286
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This thread led me to the original cluster swap thread that it's now over 100 pages long! After reading thru a majority of that one as well as this one I am confident that I'll be able to swap a late 14 lcd cluster into my late 14 base gt. Major props to zeroaviation, dmhines, jim010, LEXiiON, and deerslayer for proving this out. Just joined this site because of this great R&D going on.

I do have some warranty concerns since I just bought the car two weeks ago, however, since I don't have to re-flash anything and only change the two ASBUILT codes I think this should be a warranty safe mod.

Anyways, the question I have is, when "VIN shopping" for the correct asbuilt codes, does the car I find need only to have the LCD cluster and same transmission as stock or does the VIN donor car need to share other stock options?
EDIT: Meant to ask does MY car and the VIN donor car need to share any options other than have the same transmission?

Also, Auto Nation is the only dealer I should use to purchase the new cluster? They are still taking base clusters as core returns?
Thanks in advance! Just got rid of my 07 stang which had a better cluster than the new gt so I'm dying to get this done...
dcruscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #287
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
From what I understand, all of your original ASBUILT codes will still be in place and that you just have to change the two codes so that you can access all of the other data that the upgraded clusters have. If you didn't change any ASBUILT codes, your new cluster would have the same functions as your base cluster does.

I think you only have to get the same transmission VIN if you have an automatic transmission and you want the tranny temp gauge to work on the new cluster.

If you buy a new cluster, it will have it's own 2 year, 24,000 mile warranty. Your original cluster warranty will be gone I'm sure since you will no longer have the technically correct cluster in your car.

Some guys have purchased their clusters from fordparts.com using the donor VIN they found. Ordering it from here, you can choose which dealer you want to purchase the cluster through. I haven't looked at Auto Nation yet. I'm hoping to purchase my cluster soon as I already have the cruise control switch and the ICM II.

Wayne
Old 07-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #288
Registered Member
Regular

Ford parts wants $593 for it, ouch! And they don't mention anything about a core return. I believe deerslayer said they are $450 at auto nation and they give you back $300 once they receive your original POS cluster. I've done a few searches for them and I can't find a parts department online so I'll probably try to call them about it. Possible is I'm not sure which location to call and if they'll ship to CT. I found one on eBay for $200 used but I don't want to deal with sending both clusters out for the appropriate millage. I'll have them a call and let you know what they say
Old 07-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

Someone posted earlier in this thread that the upgraded cluster and the base cluster have the same part # and that if you bought from one of the places selling the clusters for $450 or so, you couldn't be guaranteed which cluster you would receive and that is why the only way to guarantee getting the correct one is by buying from a source where you have to use a VIN to purchase it.

I'm pretty sure the guy on this thread that ordered his cluster through fordparts, got the $300 core charge back. When you order through them, it comes to whatever Ford dealer you chose and then you deal with the parts department on the core return.

Let me know what you find out.

Wayne
Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #290
Registered Member
Regular

I just bought a switch and 2013 premium cluster off eBay....I'll order the VCM tool this week and re-read this thread. By the looks of it the only thing that's going to be a PITA is matching the mileage to the new cluster.

One thing I wasn't sure on is the tune.....Is it better or safer to revert back to the stock tune before I do the swap and then upload the Steeda tune after the new cluster is in and working?

Thanks again for all the info....I've followed the thread on TMS as well and it's pretty cool how it all worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #291
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma96 View Post
Why wouldn't you have purchased a late '14 cluster instead of a '13? I assume the '13 cluster is from a Boss?

i got on ebay, but now i dont think it ill work cuz I think this cluster does not supports trackey

PART NUMBER DR33-10849-EA
anyone knows if this one ill support trackey ?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #292
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARHEAD View Post
i got on ebay, but now i dont think it ill work cuz I think this cluster does not supports trackey

PART NUMBER DR33-10849-EA
anyone knows if this one ill support trackey ?
From what I've read part numbers beginning with DR33 correspond with a 2011,2012MY which won't support trackey (unless it's from a BOSS). If you want trackey you will need either a '12-'13 BOSS cluster or a cluster from a 2014 GT with build date of 7/2013 or later. It is also my understanding that you don't need an lcd track apps cluster for trackey to work (I was told that my base cluster is fully trackey compatible since my GT has a build date of 11/2013). So, if you want trackey and don't care about track apps the base cluster will work for you if built after July 13. Also, I'm pretty sure the 13-14 cluster prefixes are DR3Z & ER3Z. I'm not sure what the differences are between the two thou, which is currently my issue. Matt (one of the genius pioneers of this mod) over on TMS stated that you need DR3Z, however someone on this forum said they used an ER3Z cluster. I need to do more research before I buy the cluster, but it looks like they are both lcd track apps, but maybe only one of them supports trackey. If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it.
- Dan
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #293
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1seattle View Post
I just bought a switch and 2013 premium cluster off eBay....I'll order the VCM tool this week and re-read this thread. By the looks of it the only thing that's going to be a PITA is matching the mileage to the new cluster.

One thing I wasn't sure on is the tune.....Is it better or safer to revert back to the stock tune before I do the swap and then upload the Steeda tune after the new cluster is in and working?

Thanks again for all the info....I've followed the thread on TMS as well and it's pretty cool how it all worked out.

I'm gonna buy new so I can get it shipped to me with the correct millage, otherwise need to send both clusters out to a place that can program the millage, PITA for sure! I'm not sure about the tune as I haven't done this myself yet, but since I've read all about this mod on this forum and the TMS forum I'll chime in. I believe the tune is stored separately in the PCM. I remember deerslayer saying he flashed his PCM to a BOSS configuration when he switched over to the BOSS cluster and he then needed to reload his custom tune. I'm not 100% sure why he did that and I can only assume it was due to the different scale on the speedo. Anyways, if you're only changing ASBUILT codes and doing PATS relearn your tune shouldn't be affected. You can always pay it safe and return your car to stock before making the switch and reloading your tune once the new cluster is in since it only takes a few minutes to do so.
- Dan
Old 07-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #294
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, if anyone knows the difference between the ER3Z & DR3Z prefixed clusters I would most appreciate that info. Thanks!
- Dan
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
2013 D. 2014 E.

That is the only differences I know.
GMAN211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #296
Registered Member
Regular

Just experienced some rather lengthy questioning when I called to order the cluster. The very first question was "is this vin # for your car?" I said OF COURSE! Then when I told them to program the cluster for 900 miles (I should have that many by the time everything arrives otherwise I'll have to do some pointless driving, so sad for me) they wanted to know what I wanted with the cluster and why I would order it when it's under warranty for sure. I had a quick excuse for them thankfully along the lines of, mines broke, dealer told me over a week till they get the part in, they'll reimburse me for sure, blah, blah, blah. They placed the order and I'm still confident I'll get the core return (if not, they can ship it back to me and I'll sell it myself)

Anyways... I just wanted to share this because I know alot of you are interested in doing the swap. I think they might be starting to catch on so be prepared to answer the questions I was asked, have a vin ready for them BEFORE you call, and don't waiver!

Can't wait for everything to arrive!!!
And mr. deerslayer, if you're reading this and I run into any speed bumps you can expect a pm. And thanks again for the great thread!
- Dan
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #297
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Someone posted earlier in this thread that the upgraded cluster and the base cluster have the same part # and that if you bought from one of the places selling the clusters for $450 or so, you couldn't be guaranteed which cluster you would receive and that is why the only way to guarantee getting the correct one is by buying from a source where you have to use a VIN to purchase it.

I'm pretty sure the guy on this thread that ordered his cluster through fordparts, got the $300 core charge back. When you order through them, it comes to whatever Ford dealer you chose and then you deal with the parts department on the core return.

Let me know what you find out.

Wayne
Lots of searching and autonation and tasca are the cheapest. They both were $658 including the $200 core charge. Seems to me prices are up about $100 from what earlier people were reporting and the core is down $100. I went thru auto nation online using a vin. When I called to give them the millage (besides giving me a hard time, see previous post), I was informed that even thou it says $200 online it will still be $300 on the invoice. This remains to be seen thou. Best way to shop prices I'd just to Google search the part number. There are ten or so sites within $30 of each other
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #298
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruscher View Post
By the way, if anyone knows the difference between the ER3Z & DR3Z prefixed clusters I would most appreciate that info. Thanks!
- Dan
Its seams that ER3Z is the new 2014.5 mustang clusters by the vin numbers i checked i just ordered a ER3Z
Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #299
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its seams that ER3Z is the new 2014.5 mustang clusters by the vin numbers i checked i just ordered a ER3Z
You are quite correct sir! I did so much damn research I know the whole part numbers for the last two model years of all the clusters including the boss and shelby by heart That was the hard part of all this. Well, that and waiting for everything to show up at my door. Switch and cluster should arrive on Friday, vcm no idea! Ordered from the carsets website even thou there are cheaper ones elsewhere since I know it's a quality unit. Hopefully it arrives before I hit 900 miles.

Question: Does the vcm need to be connected to the car while my base cluster is still installed in order to upload it's asbuild data?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are quite correct sir! I did so much damn research I know the whole part numbers for the last two model years of all the clusters including the boss and shelby by heart That was the hard part of all this. Well, that and waiting for everything to show up at my door. Switch and cluster should arrive on Friday, vcm no idea! Ordered from the carsets website even thou there are cheaper ones elsewhere since I know it's a quality unit. Hopefully it arrives before I hit 900 miles.

Question: Does the vcm need to be connected to the car while my base cluster is still installed in order to upload it's asbuild data?
I know same here, i bought the wrong one at ebay DR33-1089-EA now im selling it back, Anyone? 350$ you take it , also i ordered the ER3Z-1089 ( 640$ for the part 300$ for core retourn and the VCMII ppl where going crazy trying to chrage me over 300$ to install the cluster cmon.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #301
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know same here, i bought the wrong one at ebay DR33-1089-EA now im selling it back, Anyone? 350$ you take it , also i ordered the ER3Z-1089 ( 640$ for the part 300$ for core retourn and the VCMII ppl where going crazy trying to chrage me over 300$ to install the cluster cmon.
Exactly why I only let the stealership touch my car for free warranty work. $300 is outrageous for a half hour job! I was once quoted $750 for a cracked thermostat housing on my 07. Did it myself, $40 for the part and a half hour of work. This was the last time I ever called the dealer for repairs. Guaranteed that the vcm will come in handy in the future, saving money and time spent at the garage. Good luck with the install.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Anyone have any luck programming new keys with the vcm?

yacob454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #303
Registered Member
Regular

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

Oh and if anyone was wondering about the air bag light I had on it was completely unrelated to the cluster I think. Maybe. I think I knocked it on or something do some hard drifting. I was gettin into it. Lol but this was the problem. I don't know how much information the cluster shares with the rest of the car but I had a theory since my new cluster came out of a wrecked car maybe it held the codes or something and transferred them to my car like a virus but either way those two modules were the problem. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1406328268.651844.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	744.4 KB
ID:	162249

Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #304
Registered Member
Regular

This one also

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1406328377.523957.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	162250

Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #305
Registered Member
Regular

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base mo...

And to every one wanting to do this swap in the future. Buy a windows xp computer!!! And don't give up. Mine kept fighting me and not doing what I wanted but you just have to keep trying. And some people didn't even have to upload the as built codes. It worked without them somehow.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacob454 View Post
And to every one wanting to do this swap in the future. Buy a windows xp computer!!! And don't give up. Mine kept fighting me and not doing what I wanted but you just have to keep trying. And some people didn't even have to upload the as built codes. It worked without them somehow.

Haha as a Mac guy, this was going to be another hurdle for me. Luckily my gf has a windows laptop I can use.

jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #307
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm I'm a Mac guy too - maybe I'll have to load up Parallels I bought ages ago....

Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #308
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So is this ER3Z-1089-EA part number the complete number for a 14 track apps cluster?

Wayne
Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #309
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
So is this ER3Z-1089-EA part number the complete number for a 14 track apps cluster?

Wayne
Yes, that's the one!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #310
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
PM sent re DR3 thanks
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #311
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, that's the one!!

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #312
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacob454 View Post
Oh and if anyone was wondering about the air bag light I had on it was completely unrelated to the cluster I think. Maybe. I think I knocked it on or something do some hard drifting. I was gettin into it. Lol but this was the problem. I don't know how much information the cluster shares with the rest of the car but I had a theory since my new cluster came out of a wrecked car maybe it held the codes or something and transferred them to my car like a virus but either way those two modules were the problem. Attachment 162249
at least you found the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1seattle View Post
Haha as a Mac guy, this was going to be another hurdle for me. Luckily my gf has a windows laptop I can use.
talking about that, i installed the VCMII on a laptop using windows 8.1 just to let you guys know, all you need is install as admin.

AND, i got my VCMII and i was messing wit it till my cluster gets here, found out that it have the options to activate the track key on it, i didnt install because i was afraid to mess it up, and they give you a licence key that can only be used once
Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #313
Registered Member
Regular

Did you sell your DR for the 13 yet, Warhead? Sent you a PM
tezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #314
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezz View Post
Did you sell your DR for the 13 yet, Warhead? Sent you a PM
sold it man sorry didnt last 2 hours at ebay
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #315
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
talking about that, i installed the VCMII on a laptop using windows 8.1 just to let you guys know, all you need is install as admin.
Correct. There are a couple of mac users that have even been able to get the VCMII to work by using a program that enables it to work. I just went the tried and true route and found a XP laptop for cheap. That computer is now the dedicated car computer
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 636.49rwhp before Torque Booster added
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2013 mustang