Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT

306K views 996 replies 125 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will be the pseudo guinea pig for this experiment.

It has already been done and well documented how to install a 2013 premium cluster with track apps into a 2012 model GT. It was pretty complicated as the communication between the 2012 PCM & Cluster needed a "black box" or converter so it could read the data.

For the 2012 swap, a new ABS module is also needed for the Track Apps to be accessed.

Watching everything unfold over the months of research and testing they did on the original swap thread, it became pretty apparent that a '13 to '13 swap would be a lot less involved (in theory).

So this is where I come in. Thanks to those three guys that have more electrical/tech knowledge than I can believe, and shared it all online, I am relatively confident I can pull this off.

I have talked to a couple of the guys that did this with their '12 I have a '13 Track Apps Premium Cluster in hand. (Thanks to TCopp on this site for picking the cluster up as it was a local craigslist sale in his area!)

I bought the 4-pad switch for the left-hand side of the steering wheel and it will be here by the end of the week. I will post step-by-step pics of everything as I go so anyone should be able to do this without a lot of technical experience.

Here is my premium cluster w/Track Apps - Thanks TCopp!

2013 track apps cluster

Part Number DR3T 9E740 BBW you will need. Found this one on eBay shipped for $30.00

Besides the cluster & the CC switch, you will need your dealer to do the following:

1) PATS RELEARN - this is your passive auto theft system, you can start your car with your cluster, and plug in this cluster to test and check it out, but if you try to start your car prior to the PATS RELEARN, your car will not start with the swapped cluster.

2) Load ASBUILT data into the new cluster. This will allow your PCM to communicate with the cluster.

3)Odometer reset - Dealer or some aftermarket shops can sync your odometers

Researching, it looks like the 2013 ABS module that feeds data for the Track Apps is the same for 2013 mustangs. Having the correct ABS module and not having to purchase a "black box" saves you $400 over swapping this into a '12! :good:

The clusters are hard to find. They show up on carparts.com and eBay but go quickly. One on eBay went for $160 and that is ridiculously cheap, but it was a km/h cluster. The only thing I hate is the font and layout of the gauge. I have a boss gauge without the LCD, and am thinking of trying some way to also do a face swap. We will see.

First things First :p

See less See more
#4 ·
Do you have any idea if the '12 premium GT cluster is compatible with the '11 base GT?
Wouldn't know 100% until someone tested it. If your steering wheel controls match that of the '12 premium it came out of, it would be a question of Ford changing or masking the communication from the PCM to the cluster. You can actually test these somewhat by starting your car with your cluster, unplugging it while running and plugging the new cluster in. If everything works, all you need is to have the dealer do a PATS RELEARN, your done. If the gauges don't work, you would need a converter box which would need to be custom for that combo which is a deal killer. If you could somehow get the gauge without buying it, simple test will tell you.

#5 ·
I followed this swap on another forum. Thanks to two individuals over "there" who painstackenly documented their effort to make it all work. I believe it took well into 8 months before they fifured it all out, along with countless trips to Ford for flashing.

It wasn't easy.

#6 ·
I followed this swap on another forum. Thanks to two individuals over "there" who painstackenly documented their effort to make it all work. I believe it took well into 8 months before they fifured it all out, along with countless trips to Ford for flashing.

It wasn't easy.
I followed it as well the last 4 months. The problem solving was impressive. I am hoping the swap I am doing is a LOT less involved. It will answer the base to premium question that are the same years.

#8 ·
x2! this looks interesting!:)

#9 ·
Gutsy move. The IPC is directly synched to the body control module in the passenger footwell, and integrated with anti-theft, TC/AT/ABS subsystems, as you say. It's not a plug and play job by any stretch.

Anyone looking for a performance metric device they can take with them need look no further than their smartphone and a rigid mount.

There are other devices out there that stand alone though. I have a now very obsolete Dashhawk II that does this stuff, fwiw.

#11 · (Edited)
Anyone looking for a performance metric device they can take with them need look no further than their smartphone and a rigid mount.

There are other devices out there that stand alone though. I have a now very obsolete Dashhawk II that does this stuff, fwiw.
Yeah, if it were just the Track Apps, I would go with the Boss triple gauge cluster mount, and then buy seperately a DPIC gauge , oil temp and water temp gauges. Still a hefty price tag.
The things I like with this gauge is the AFR and the gauge instrumentation that is available toggling through the menu. Could care less about the mood lighting crap.

This should turn out interesting. I wanted to do the same but i think theres just too much involved.
Hence my Selfie...

#12 ·
:cool: Actually the 2014 cluster would be the ticket :whistling:
so you can run the NEW track key coming in April.

Supposably its the instrument cluster that was re wired
allowing the GT track key to be utilized ?

if Ford Racing was Smart >
They would offer a retro cluster to 2014 swap with key and make MUCHO $$$$

I'd buy one for my 2013 :dance:

#13 ·
:cool: Actually the 2014 cluster would be the ticket :whistling:
so you can run the NEW track key coming in April.

Supposably its the instrument cluster that was re wired
allowing the GT track key to be utilized ?

if Ford Racing was Smart >
They would offer a retro cluster to 2014 swap with key and make MUCHO $$$$

I'd buy one for my 2013 :dance:
Where did you hear that?

#15 ·
Yeah, how is the 14 diff than the 13?
We will find out pretty quickly. On the other thread, a person who has a '14 premium with track apps, bought a '13 Boss Cluster with track apps and is going to try to do the swap. If it doesn't work, I would love to have a chance to get that cluster!

#18 · (Edited)
so i'm guessing a 14 premium cluster will swap into a base gt with no problem?
Assuming you have a '13 or '14 base........You will need to get the same steering wheel switch as I show above and have the dealership do a PATS relearn as well as the odometer reset once installed.

#21 ·
There is a guy installing a '13 Boss Track Apps cluster into a '14 premium GT. We will see how that goes.
I am switching out faceplates in this cluster with an aftermarket (BlackCat) gauge plate that is similar to the Boss Cluster. I don't have it, but it is going to be a project "fit" as they do not make a '13 cluster plate. I am going to use my fabrication skills to get a '12 faceplate it to work :)

#23 ·
you're going to be a busy guy haha. i'll keep an eye on this post. if he can get it to work without a lot of headaches then i'll be doing that as well
LOL....I will get the faceplate here pretty quick as it has been ordered. The Speedo side will be simple, the tach side will require some modification, but I am pretty confident I can pull it off.
Already have things setup with the dealership, just need to car to come home from school to complete the install :)

#24 · (Edited)
Finishing the next phase of the cluster swap. Redesigned the faceplate for the GT Track Apps cluster.
Top was original, bottom is the new designed one:

#26 · (Edited)
Deerslayer, where did you get that faceplate from? Looks almost exactly like the boss, but I think the speedometer on the boss goes a little higher and the tach is a little different because of the higher redline from the boss intake manifold
It is a custom faceplate that I designed and Black Cat Customs makes. This one is not available quite yet. They are using my '13 GT premium faceplate as a pattern to build the one I designed below.
It is the BOSS cluster font with the scale to match the GT cluster. 160 instead of 180 on the speedo and 0-8k rpm on the tach. I adjusted the redline and also got rid of the k/ph scale on the speedo side.
They should have them on their site pretty soon. MUCH simpler design and not so busy like the OEM Premium cluster has.

#27 · (Edited)
We installed a Boss cluster on the car, the tach reads correct, however the speedo is off. Didn't want to deal with that so we are going this route with the Track Apps Cluster.
Also finished the carbon fiber on the console with a custom cup holder door with Pistol Pete inlaid into the gel coat. Would have liked a 180mph speedo, but getting everything programmed properly was beginning to be a problem.

Finished product should look like this:

#417 ·
#29 ·
When I get this one in, I will take in-hand pics as well as some how to pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.