New 2014 Mustang GT, looking for ideas... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Meowmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Meowmix
New 2014 Mustang GT, looking for ideas...

Just joined, hope this is the right place to post this.

Took delivery on my 2014 Mustang GT a few days ago and have been looking around trying to determine what mods to put on it since. I have a budget of ~$4k and would really love to hear some suggestions on what options are out there.

My current inkling looks like this:

roush axleback exhaust for sound
eibach pro street s coilovers for lowering, handling
gt 500 strut mounts
stripes and custom graphics I scribbled out (this would be ~750)
sve drift rims (19x9.5)
MGW short throw shifter

I've seen a lot of people on the site prefering springs and shocks to coilovers, barton vs mgw, tunes vs no tunes, so much information!

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated, I've been enjoying the car to death and would really love to give it some TLC and make it even better.
Meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013_DIB_GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbia
Region: Missouri
Posts: 245
I can only speak for the Roush axle backs and the MGW. Roush axle backs are great if you don't plan on doing anything else. I added over the axle pipes and a Jeg's H pipe, essentially turning it into a catback (with no resonators) and its perfect for me. If I plan on going offroad later on I'll probably end up swapping out Roush for Kooks because Roush gets LOUD with an offroad midpipe or cat deletes.

The MGW shifter needs to be your first mod though. I tried to go cheap and get a Barton two post bracket and I wasn't happy with it. The MGW really does make the world of difference. Spend the extra money and enjoy the hell out of it. It's worth every penny. Install really isn't bad either and they provide you with a step by step video for instructions (on their website).
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
DallasStang77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmix View Post
Just joined, hope this is the right place to post this.

Took delivery on my 2014 Mustang GT a few days ago and have been looking around trying to determine what mods to put on it since. I have a budget of ~$4k and would really love to hear some suggestions on what options are out there.

My current inkling looks like this:

roush axleback exhaust for sound
eibach pro street s coilovers for lowering, handling
gt 500 strut mounts
stripes and custom graphics I scribbled out (this would be ~750)
sve drift rims (19x9.5)
MGW short throw shifter

I've seen a lot of people on the site prefering springs and shocks to coilovers, barton vs mgw, tunes vs no tunes, so much information!

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated, I've been enjoying the car to death and would really love to give it some TLC and make it even better.
Roush sounds great if you have no intention of getting a high flow cat or straight pipe. If you alter the cats the roush begins to sound really loud and raspy in a generally accepted bad way.

Eibach springs are great but I believe Steeda are better options for suspension components.

Use adjustable shocks and struts.

I have the Barton two post and it gets the job done without much NVH.

Look into LCA and adjustable UCA. It's two of the best mods you can do.

Change the sway bars too.

With these mods you'll accelerate better, faster, and corner much harder but since there's no power mods beyond an axleback you won't need tunes
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
08mustanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: milton
Region: Canada
Posts: 630
Go straight to a blower
08mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
gtstyles2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lodi
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,889
Your headed towards the right direction so far, I also 2nd getting the MGW shifter. I had the Barton with 2 post thinking it was good enough, but hearing that drivetrain noise on my brand new car didn't sit too well for me. It was a great shifter no doubt, but the MGW is a total package and beautifully crafted. Go on their website and look at the install video, it's actually not as bad as it looks, which was also another factor that made me get Barton 1st, I guess I was afraid to remove the lower shifter box. It's actually not bad at all, and I would say part of the MT-82 problems come from the lower shift box. Good luck, and enjoy ur new Stang!! I know I have
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 18
I have a set of roush ab. Took them off. My wife said they were too loud. They are for sale 300. U pay shipping.
jzaphiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
2010GBGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Falls
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 93
New 2014 Mustang GT, looking for ideas...

Definitely go with the MGW first. It's a complete kit and made very well. Worth every penny. I also bought a braided clutch line and Whiteline insert which I still need to find time to install.

Mine is a daily driver so I didn't want any drone or something annoying at highway speeds. Bought a set of Kooks/Steeda axlebacks and they're perfect for me. Rarely turn my radio on so I'm very happy with the sound. Borla is another great option. Heard them in person and they sound badass!
2010GBGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Meowmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Meowmix
Thank you all so much, that's great information and it definitely gives me more confidence moving forward! Looks like I'm definitely going for the MGW (especially after the last few days of fudgey shifting in crawling traffic ) and at least initially a roush axleback.

I forgot a quote in here somewhere, but as to the MGW install, I'm definitely going to go over the videos and install manual with a fine tooth comb before I even open the box. I'm really glad to hear there's no modifications or other arduousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Eibach springs are great but I believe Steeda are better options for suspension components.

Use adjustable shocks and struts.

Look into LCA and adjustable UCA. It's two of the best mods you can do.

Change the sway bars too.

With these mods you'll accelerate better, faster, and corner much harder but since there's no power mods beyond an axleback you won't need tunes
That sounds like exactly what I had in mind! Do you have any preference as to the model of control arms and shock+struts/springs? I've looked at steeda and koni, but really the difference is lost on me for the most part.

I'm looking for a slight drop, maybe .75-1", but outside of that the only other thing I'm looking for is retaining some ride quality (my 2012 v6 had lowering springs, and while it looked great it rode like a chuckwagon).

I was definitely considering the ford racing sway bars as well, I guess it makes sense to do them while I'm doing the suspension components, huh? Does anyone have an opinion about ford racing's bars one way or the other as opposed to other brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08mustanggt View Post
Go straight to a blower
So *that's* what I left off the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaphiris View Post
I have a set of roush ab. Took them off. My wife said they were too loud. They are for sale 300. U pay shipping.
I completely understand. I would be all over that but my significant other has an allergic reaction to me buying used stuff (hence why the 2012 went, even though is only had 3k miles when I bought it!). I feel you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010GBGT View Post
Definitely go with the MGW first. It's a complete kit and made very well. Worth every penny. I also bought a braided clutch line and Whiteline insert which I still need to find time to install.

Mine is a daily driver so I didn't want any drone or something annoying at highway speeds. Bought a set of Kooks/Steeda axlebacks and they're perfect for me. Rarely turn my radio on so I'm very happy with the sound. Borla is another great option. Heard them in person and they sound badass!
I've really liked what I've heard from borla's around town, I think they're out of my price range atm though (unless I want to forgo suspension for about a year, which is admittedly tempting). I'm definitely looking that way when the powertrain warranty runs out and I start looking to new cams and full exhaust.
Meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
HPFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 448
Roush anti hop kit, bmr LCAs, and better rims and tires ... Michelin pilot ss come to mind. Don't update the sway bars as they are solid. Also get a big brake upgrade if you don't have the brembos.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Meowmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to Meowmix
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Roush anti hop kit, bmr LCAs, and better rims and tires ... Michelin pilot ss come to mind. Don't update the sway bars as they are solid. Also get a big brake upgrade if you don't have the brembos.
Way cool Question, better rims than stock (which, not hard to do at 30+ lbs) or better than the sve drifts (also probably not hard to do given the price)?

For tires, how do the p zero neros I'm running on it now compare to the michelin pilot ss? I'll probably run them until they need changed, but I'm always looking for ways to produce better handling.

Noted on the sway bars, I've done some casual hard turns and did find them to be great for getting around town. Any problems with them in corners at higher speeds? (not planning on it in the immediate future, still good info) I guess it's just kind of a natural instinct for me; *robot voice* Car acquired, replace swaybars. Usually a round 2 mod for me.

Did get the brembos, can't pass up a good deal on good brakes!
Meowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
HPFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmix View Post
Way cool Question, better rims than stock (which, not hard to do at 30+ lbs) or better than the sve drifts (also probably not hard to do given the price)?



For tires, how do the p zero neros I'm running on it now compare to the michelin pilot ss? I'll probably run them until they need changed, but I'm always looking for ways to produce better handling.



Noted on the sway bars, I've done some casual hard turns and did find them to be great for getting around town. Any problems with them in corners at higher speeds? (not planning on it in the immediate future, still good info) I guess it's just kind of a natural instinct for me; *robot voice* Car acquired, replace swaybars. Usually a round 2 mod for me.



Did get the brembos, can't pass up a good deal on good brakes!

Good choice on ur rim upgrade. Just keep in mind that these cars weakest links are the shocks and the brakes . If you get coil overs and the tires your car will be able to plant all the power down. Anti hop and LCAs will help cheers
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 2014 Mustang GT, manual, 3.73, Brembo >100 miles! DVR Mustangs for Sale and Wanted 16 03-24-2014 07:40 PM
My Mustang Videos Mike90 Pictures and Videos 13 10-04-2011 09:15 PM
CPO Mustang 2010 GT Premium ??? wickerman 2011-2014 Mustang GT 14 07-11-2011 11:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:37 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.