Am I the only one who wants the 2011 taillights on my 2013? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
To post a picture of one is fun, but posting a picture of 2 dream cars is JUST FLAT OUT MEAN!

Nice cars btw.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sorry bout the quality but I saw a 13 v6 with 12 taillights with 13 bumper. It can be done. U just need to swap the wire pigtails and that's it. Sooooo if the original poster wants I'm down to trade haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391173702189.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	146607   Click image for larger version

Name:	1391173716532.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	146608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1391173730841.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	146609  
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
now's he just showing off..... lol
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I dont know of any Mustang get togethers here, there are some in Ft. Myers but im not driving up there for that. There is a "Cars n Coffee" on Sundays on Pine Ridge. I may go to that not this Sunday but next.

What mods are ya doing? I havent did anything to my Mustang except added the 3D Carbon GT500 Rear Spoiler and im wanting the Roush Hood Scoop but AM doesnt carry it yet but I think they may in a month or so from what ive been told. And the only other thing I would like to do is get some GT500 Axle Backs but maybe not until this Spring...

Here is a photo of my 5.0, this was taken at the Target parking lot on Immokelee....Keep in touch.
Nice! love GTHG and I shop there all the time lol. Taxes filed and get the DAY direct deposit arrives I am getting:
- Pype Bomb Black Axle backs
- Pypes off road H-pipe
- Airraid CAI
- BAMA tuner
- SR Throttle Body Spacer
- Barton Short throw shifter and bracket (MAYBE Hurst?)
- Painting hood vents flat black
- Tint all way around
- new grille. deciding on CCD Performance open grille or vertical line billet
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's your car but, I'd buy some actual mufflers, not Pypes stuff, if I were you, especially with a off-road H plan. That setup will be really loud and sonically uncontrolled. There is no extra power in all that racket so, why have it?

Several things are just pissing money away here:

The TB spacer is a waste, so's the CAI, at this level. A tune is a great idea, the off road H is good, the shifter is smart, too, all offer significant improvements in power and driving pleasure over stock stuff.

The appearance stuff is your personal taste and that's all that matters there.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's your car but, I'd buy some actual mufflers, not Pypes stuff, if I were you, especially with a off-road H plan. That setup will be really loud and sonically uncontrolled. There is no extra power in all that racket so, why have it?

Several things are just pissing money away here:

The TB spacer is a waste, so's the CAI, at this level. A tune is a great idea, the off road H is good, the shifter is smart, too, all offer significant improvements in power and driving pleasure over stock stuff.

The appearance stuff is your personal taste and that's all that matters there.
I have done allot of research into the sound. Most people say thats a matter of taste and I am looking forward to loud, lol. I do have a couple questions though for you/anyone who can answer.

I have had a TON of people in forums and reviews and such talk about how great a CAI is and how much it helps but there have been a few that say its pointless. As for the throttle body I have heard that about 75/25 with lots referring to it helping more in older set ups but less in newer direct fuel injection set ups.

Now, on to the more vital question. With three kids and single dad I get money to work on it once or twice a year so budget is an issue. Can you (5LHO) or someone rank the bang for buck mods?

exhaust and shifter $640.
paint and tint $375
Shifter $340
Grilles $200 CDC open) to $250 (billet horizontal)
Mechanic for above $275

That leaves me roughly $700-1000 to play with. What is the best bang for the buck in performance keeping in mind I am making suspension work the next stage.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

We're not talking just loud, we're talking vibrating the entire cabin of the car loud. You are proposing running a straight pipe, essentially.

The factory CAI can flow more air than the engine can ingest, even tuned so, another CAI adds very little to nothing other than cost. TUNE is where the power is, not in the air filter and people conflate this all the time.

Throttle body spacers are a relic of antique carburettor thinking. It does nothing on a dry manifold EFI setup except maybe slightly alter the throttle response, which a tune does much more effectively.

You need some basic knowledge here, to go with your research. These engines are not direct fuel injected. They are port fuel injected and those two fueling systems are radically different.

I'd say tune, exhaust and shifter are your best bets to improve your experience of what you've listed but, I'd think about putting the power down to the ground better, especially on a stick car. I'd buy at least a Roush upper control arm for a road car, to noise-free eliminate the wheelhop so common when you try to fire this car out of the hole.

I refer you to my sig to see what can be done with minimal intervention on these cars.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyo1021 View Post

You make a good point about the hassle with led lights. Thats why I like the alternative I'm taking with doing the 13 styled decals for the 11-12 taillights and also using trim to make it a more completed look. I'm excited to get them on but its been too cold to do it outside and I haven't been able to get it to my buddies shop. Soon enough though!
Good point about the hassle of LEDs except for the fact that they last like a bajillion times longer than a halogen. So by the time the LED breaks the rest of the car's a rust bucket.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

not quite. take a look at the rear strip LED brake lights on any 2-3 year old American car. It won't be too big a shock if there are one or two out. It isn't about how long LEDs last as bulbs, it's the built to price fixtures and wiring that are the problem.

...and the regular 12 tail bulbs aren't halogen. They are standard incandescent.

The higher the number of LEDs, the more likely to find this problem.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Nice! love GTHG and I shop there all the time lol. Taxes filed and get the DAY direct deposit arrives I am getting:
- Pype Bomb Black Axle backs
- Pypes off road H-pipe
- Airraid CAI
- BAMA tuner
- SR Throttle Body Spacer
- Barton Short throw shifter and bracket (MAYBE Hurst?)
- Painting hood vents flat black
- Tint all way around
- new grille. deciding on CCD Performance open grille or vertical line billet
I dont think it was you then on Pine Ridge cause that dude had tint on his 5.0 all the way around....Ive never been a big fan of tint because in 1995 I bought a used Cobra Mustang that was a repo and it was tinted and I wanted it off and it took me a solid week everynight after work to remove that crap, what mess but I finally got it and I said after that I will never put tint on a car....

Dont beleive everything people on here tell you about CAI's not doing anything without a tune. Check out this one. IMO its the best out there. It gives a solid 8hp increase which isnt much but it is 8 more hp for $300.00 and it looks better than any others ive seen. Here is the link: 21-8122DC - AEM , AEM Cold Air Intake System direct from AEM

I would go with the Ford Short Throw Shifter and some GT500 axleback mufflers but they wont be LOUD like your wanting I dont think...
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

A "solid" 8 hp, verified by who? Even AEM qualifies the gain this way:

"Estimated Horsepower Gain: 8 HP @ 5000 RPM"

This is a 400+ horsepower car, 8 horse is hardly detectable with any degree of certainty by instruments, much less your butt dyno. The extra racket makes people think they are going faster but they aren't.

Ford plunked 8 extra horses in the 2013 but nobody seems to be able to make them detectably and repeatedly faster than the "weak" 11-12 cars.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A "solid" 8 hp, verified by who? Even AEM qualifies the gain this way:

"Estimated Horsepower Gain: 8 HP @ 5000 RPM"

This is a 400+ horsepower car, 8 horse is hardly detectable with any degree of certainty by instruments, much less your butt dyno. The extra racket makes people think they are going faster but they aren't.

Ford plunked 8 extra horses in the 2013 but nobody seems to be able to make them detectably and repeatedly faster than the "weak" 11-12 cars.

Where else you gonna pickup 8hp for $300?.....Your not. I agree you probably wont notice much if any difference but even with a tune he is gonna at best pickup 20hp and thats gonna cost $600-$700.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

You can pick up 16 claimed, (verified to actually exceed this by me, at the dragstrip) for about 280 buying the Ford Procal tune.

That 6-700 number is bull****. That's the cost of a full custom dyno tune and tuner box. For under 400, you can get a nice email tune which will work pretty darn well.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:23 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
the 2013 tail lights are so pretty though!!!
Instafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can pick up 16 claimed, (verified to actually exceed this by me, at the dragstrip) for about 280 buying the Ford Procal tune.

That 6-700 number is bull****. That's the cost of a full custom dyno tune and tuner box. For under 400, you can get a nice email tune which will work pretty darn well.
I wasnt talking about JUST a tune, please reread my post. I quoted a TUNE & CAI which does cost $600-$700, get your facts straight but if you can pickup a Ford procal tuner for less than $300 and pickup 16hp then I stand corrected but I would have to see it to beleive it...
Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I have an airaid CAI and installed it with no tune, and other than the nicer sound it produces I felt absolutely no difference in throttle response or power. A week later I installed my bama tune and noticed a very nice bump in throttle response and power, that being said does the airaid contribute to that or would the stock airbox be just as good?!. From what I've read the stock airbox produces more than enough airflow to the tb so I'm skeptical of aftermarket CAI...... but I have one. Lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I have an airaid CAI and installed it with no tune, and other than the nicer sound it produces I felt absolutely no difference in throttle response or power. A week later I installed my bama tune and noticed a very nice bump in throttle response and power, that being said does the airaid contribute to that or would the stock airbox be just as good?!. From what I've read the stock airbox produces more than enough airflow to the tb so I'm skeptical of aftermarket CAI...... but I have one. Lol
Based on my research the stock airbox is more than adequate. It actually does a better job of picking up colder air than a CAI does since its sealed from the engine. All CAI are really good for at the bolt on level is a cool sounding noise and looks. Also most tests are done with the hood open and fan blowing into them. I think if you were to see some tests with the hood closed you may actually see the same/ worse results. This is because the CAI would be sucking in more hot air than the stock box.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Based on my research the stock airbox is more than adequate. It actually does a better job of picking up colder air than a CAI does since its sealed from the engine. All CAI are really good for at the bolt on level is a cool sounding noise and looks. Also most tests are done with the hood open and fan blowing into them. I think if you were to see some tests with the hood closed you may actually see the same/ worse results. This is because the CAI would be sucking in more hot air than the stock box.
Im kinda scared of a tune considering all the bad ive heard about them possibly doing damage to your engine and I wouldnt buy a CAI without a tune even if it was a AEM brand I picked up 8hp. Thats why ive only purchased the AEM air filter. I steer away from K&N and their claims...
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Based on my research the stock airbox is more than adequate. It actually does a better job of picking up colder air than a CAI does since its sealed from the engine. All CAI are really good for at the bolt on level is a cool sounding noise and looks. Also most test are done with the hood open and fan blowing into them. I think if you were to see sone tests with the hood closed you may actually see the same/ worse results. Thus is because the CAI would be sucking in more hot air than the stock box.
Agreed. It looks nice under the hood and give a nice sound at wot but Imo that's about all you get, I only speak from my experience as others say they have felt better throttle response. Btw my Cai was sold as the Cai/tuner combo from Am.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
I wasnt talking about JUST a tune, please reread my post. I quoted a TUNE & CAI which does cost $600-$700, get your facts straight but if you can pickup a Ford procal tuner for less than $300 and pickup 16hp then I stand corrected but I would have to see it to beleive it...
My facts are pretty straight, it's yours that are questionable.

You're right about the cost of a CAI and tune but, since you don't need the CAI and the gain isn't from that item, the cost of that item alone is irrelevant. Buy the tune alone and see very similar results without getting gouged for a bit of pipe, a $15 cone filter and some plastic sheet.

Hell, Roush Stage 1 blower kits use basically a stock airbox to feed a 5.0 with a TVS blower on top. It's more than adequate for NA

Here's Procal under $300. I personally paid $289:

2011 MUSTANG GT FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER

I have dragstrip dynoed my car with this tune at 439 horses at the flywheel, which ain't bad for the $ spent. Procal is the only power mod. probably more to be had with a more custom setup but, i find it hard to argue with my results. I've seen 93 "race" tunes from others perform worse than this, many times.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My facts are pretty straight, it's yours that are questionable.

You're right about the cost of a CAI and tune but, since you don't need the CAI and the gain isn't from that item, the cost of that item alone is irrelevant. Buy the tune alone and see very similar results without getting gouged for a bit of pipe, a $15 cone filter and some plastic sheet.

Hell, Roush Stage 1 blower kits use basically a stock airbox to feed a 5.0 with a TVS blower on top. It's more than adequate for NA

Here's Procal under $300. I personally paid $289:

2011 MUSTANG GT FORD RACING PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION WITH HIGH FLOW K&N AIR FILTER

I have dragstrip dynoed my car with this tune at 439 horses at the flywheel, which ain't bad for the $ spent. Procal is the only power mod. probably more to be had with a more custom setup but, i find it hard to argue with my results. I've seen 93 "race" tunes from others perform worse than this, many times.
I stand corrected!....
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You figure with that 300$ saved you could get new lca's or something that helps put the power you have to the ground. I think actually getting traction and power to the road is much harder than adding power. Especially at the higher performance levels.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Indeed...my exact plan was to plant every ounce of power the car made first, then hot it up. The factory tune was just so marshmallow-creme soft, I couldn't stand it but, I still followed that idea. It also had to be noise and vibe free.

Roush upper first, shifter bracket and billet knob, LCAs and tires. that was the order of the day. Honestly, probably could have passed on the LCAs, they didn't make a lot of difference.

I think there may be, at most, another 1/10th or so in my setup but, I think it's pretty much maxed out on mph.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT