Emissions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Emissions

Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some advice on how to pass emissions. I am in GA and need to pass the readiness test. I have kooks headers with the highflow cats. I thought I would be ok, as I installed the non foulers and have no CEL lights, but my ECU is reading Catalyst not ready, oxygen sensor not ready, and oxygen sensor heater not ready. I also called bama for a emissions tune. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Did you do an OBD II drive cycle to reset everything after reflashing the new tune from Bama? Are you sure they turned everything back on? Is it possible your non foulers are not allowing the rear o2's to be reset? You don't need those if you're running the Kooks "green" cats.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Did you do an OBD II drive cycle to reset everything after reflashing the new tune from Bama? Are you sure they turned everything back on? Is it possible your non foulers are not allowing the rear o2's to be reset? You don't need those if you're running the Kooks "green" cats.
Yeah. I didn't get the green cats, but I had JBA high flow cats before and they would set off a CEL, so I put the non foulers on and that got rid of it. After putting the new tune on I did the relearn process and drove close to 100 miles on highway and in stop and go traffic. I am certain they are turned on, because I called Bama to confirm.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You know there are tuners out there that can turn off those codes and still have all your readiness tests come up complete. Bama does not have the ability to do that.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You know there are tuners out there that can turn off those codes and still have all your readiness tests come up complete. Bama does not have the ability to do that.
Yeah. From what I have read, the tuners can shut off the rear O2's to get the CELs to go away. The problem is that the readiness test has to have them on and running correctly. Is that something that the tuners can do?
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
Yeah. From what I have read, the tuners can shut off the rear O2's to get the CELs to go away. The problem is that the readiness test has to have them on and running correctly. Is that something that the tuners can do?
Yes. They can have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. They can have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions.
Ok. I wasn't aware of that. I thought the rear O2's had to be turned on in order to pass the OBD2 readiness test. Who would you recommend getting a tune from that would pass the emissions?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok. I wasn't aware of that. I thought the rear O2's had to be turned on in order to pass the OBD2 readiness test. Who would you recommend getting a tune from that would pass the emissions?
AED has become the go to tuner for a variety of reasons including this.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some advice on how to pass emissions. I am in GA and need to pass the readiness test. I have kooks headers with the highflow cats. I thought I would be ok, as I installed the non foulers and have no CEL lights, but my ECU is reading Catalyst not ready, oxygen sensor not ready, and oxygen sensor heater not ready. I also called bama for a emissions tune. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
With the information you're showing, it's not actually a fail yet. This means that the drive cycle has not yet been completed. I see you did about 100 miles, but sometimes it still takes a little longer. How many times did you turn the key on and off? How many miles were city vs highway etc.. This needs to be a good mix of highway driving, city driving, and stop and go.

With SCT software you can't have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions. I've heard of people getting away with that on the GM Side of things with Corvettes. However, I don't think this can be done on the Mustang platform with SCT. If it can be done, then it's definitely something that is newly discovered.

I would recommend doing some more highway driving, city driving, stop and go etc.. with the rear O2 sensors on and your non-foulers installed. This should do the trick and I think you should be okay to pass emissions. If you have any questions, please give the Bama team a call. They're here to help you and will do whatever they can to make your experience stress free.

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

With SCT software you can't have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions. I've heard of people getting away with that on the GM Side of things with Corvettes. However, I don't think this can be done on the Mustang platform with SCT. If it can be done, then it's definitely something that is newly discovered.

-Dan
It can and is being done. You just have to know where the tables are.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT