Emissions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
striker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alpahretta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Emissions

Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some advice on how to pass emissions. I am in GA and need to pass the readiness test. I have kooks headers with the highflow cats. I thought I would be ok, as I installed the non foulers and have no CEL lights, but my ECU is reading Catalyst not ready, oxygen sensor not ready, and oxygen sensor heater not ready. I also called bama for a emissions tune. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
__________________
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Did you do an OBD II drive cycle to reset everything after reflashing the new tune from Bama? Are you sure they turned everything back on? Is it possible your non foulers are not allowing the rear o2's to be reset? You don't need those if you're running the Kooks "green" cats.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
striker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alpahretta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Did you do an OBD II drive cycle to reset everything after reflashing the new tune from Bama? Are you sure they turned everything back on? Is it possible your non foulers are not allowing the rear o2's to be reset? You don't need those if you're running the Kooks "green" cats.
Yeah. I didn't get the green cats, but I had JBA high flow cats before and they would set off a CEL, so I put the non foulers on and that got rid of it. After putting the new tune on I did the relearn process and drove close to 100 miles on highway and in stop and go traffic. I am certain they are turned on, because I called Bama to confirm.
__________________
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
You know there are tuners out there that can turn off those codes and still have all your readiness tests come up complete. Bama does not have the ability to do that.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
striker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alpahretta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
You know there are tuners out there that can turn off those codes and still have all your readiness tests come up complete. Bama does not have the ability to do that.
Yeah. From what I have read, the tuners can shut off the rear O2's to get the CELs to go away. The problem is that the readiness test has to have them on and running correctly. Is that something that the tuners can do?
__________________
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
Yeah. From what I have read, the tuners can shut off the rear O2's to get the CELs to go away. The problem is that the readiness test has to have them on and running correctly. Is that something that the tuners can do?
Yes. They can have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
striker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Alpahretta
Region: Georgia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yes. They can have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions.
Ok. I wasn't aware of that. I thought the rear O2's had to be turned on in order to pass the OBD2 readiness test. Who would you recommend getting a tune from that would pass the emissions?
__________________
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
Ok. I wasn't aware of that. I thought the rear O2's had to be turned on in order to pass the OBD2 readiness test. Who would you recommend getting a tune from that would pass the emissions?
AED has become the go to tuner for a variety of reasons including this.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some advice on how to pass emissions. I am in GA and need to pass the readiness test. I have kooks headers with the highflow cats. I thought I would be ok, as I installed the non foulers and have no CEL lights, but my ECU is reading Catalyst not ready, oxygen sensor not ready, and oxygen sensor heater not ready. I also called bama for a emissions tune. That didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
With the information you're showing, it's not actually a fail yet. This means that the drive cycle has not yet been completed. I see you did about 100 miles, but sometimes it still takes a little longer. How many times did you turn the key on and off? How many miles were city vs highway etc.. This needs to be a good mix of highway driving, city driving, and stop and go.

With SCT software you can't have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions. I've heard of people getting away with that on the GM Side of things with Corvettes. However, I don't think this can be done on the Mustang platform with SCT. If it can be done, then it's definitely something that is newly discovered.

I would recommend doing some more highway driving, city driving, stop and go etc.. with the rear O2 sensors on and your non-foulers installed. This should do the trick and I think you should be okay to pass emissions. If you have any questions, please give the Bama team a call. They're here to help you and will do whatever they can to make your experience stress free.

Hope this helps.

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Grabber Blue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: East Haven
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

With SCT software you can't have the rear o2's turned off but still have all the readiness tests ready for emissions. I've heard of people getting away with that on the GM Side of things with Corvettes. However, I don't think this can be done on the Mustang platform with SCT. If it can be done, then it's definitely something that is newly discovered.

-Dan
It can and is being done. You just have to know where the tables are.
__________________
2017 Dodge Challenger T/A Redline Tri-Coat
2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Jazz Blue Pearl Sold
2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Sold
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illinois Emissions testing with O/R X pipe Langer1099 2005-2010 Mustang GT 4 06-11-2013 08:45 AM
Y would i fail emissions? Am3gross 2011-2014 Mustang GT 17 10-30-2012 09:30 AM
A little depressed... emissions testing sucks...advice? NeedSomeMods 1979-1995 Mustang GT 28 07-04-2012 09:37 AM
tune + emissions BaSohol 2005-2010 Mustang GT 8 01-23-2012 02:52 PM
Underdash components & Emissions System mcdonaldnick 1979-1995 Mustang GT 1 10-13-2011 12:45 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.