breaking in 2014 gt - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just bought my first mustang in September, it was the first mustang I've owned and drove. It's a 2014 5.0 bama tuned with roush exhaust, and I drove it pretty hard the first 1000 miles but I did get the oil changed at 1500 miles. I now have 11k on my car and it's running better than ever
5pointOHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Never mind on my previous comment. Those we're the instructions on the oil I was going to use lol
Coyote Fever5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #38
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Fever, Max respect for the reply.

btw I like the GB 5.0
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I just got my 2014 mustang GT black/black 2 weeks ago.. Now I've babied it during that time because I didn't look or read anything before hand.. But I did use cruise control a good bit during that time and I'm hoping that doesn't mess it up like the manual says!? Anyone know about this? And it's CRAZY how many different ideas there are about oil changes!! Haha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
saleenfanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Fever, Max respect for the reply.

btw I like the GB 5.0

Thanks man.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Yikes! Some old myths being spread on this post!

First, synthetic oil is fine for a new engine. It is a myth that synthetic is too slippery for a new engine break in....many cars come from the factory with synthetic oil from the start; our Mustangs don't, only because the FoMoCo semi synthetic is rated great for up to 10K between changes.

Second; some will change their oil sooner than 500 miles on the first oil change, due to new engine wear (new oil usually looks like metal-flake paint, iridescent with tiny particles of metal worn off rubbing surfaces inside the new engines. After a few hours of operation, this completely normal phenomenon slows down as the rings, camshaft, lifters and bearings burnish their respective mating surfaces).

This may be where the myth of not using full synthetic for break in came from, as most like to dump the oil after 500 miles, so putting in full synthetic for such a low first change would be a considered a waste of money spent on full synthetic oil.

Go here (as well as other sites found by searching Google) for information posted by what I'd consider reliable sources:

New Car Care � How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

First, synthetic oil is fine for a new engine. It is a myth that synthetic is too slippery for a new engine break in....many cars come from the factory with synthetic oil from the start; our Mustangs don't, only because the FoMoCo semi synthetic is rated great for up to 10K between changes.

Second; some will change their oil sooner than 500 miles on the first oil change, due to new engine wear (new oil usually looks like metal-flake paint, iridescent with tiny particles of metal worn off rubbing surfaces inside the new engines. After a few hours of operation, this completely normal phenomenon slows down as the rings, camshaft, lifters and bearings burnish their respective mating surfaces).

This may be where the myth of not using full synthetic for break in came from, as most like to dump the oil after 500 miles, so putting in full synthetic for such a low first change would be a considered a waste of money spent on full synthetic oil.

Go here (as well as other sites found by searching Google) for information posted by what I'd consider reliable sources:

+1
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
did my first change today at 2970 miles, mobil 1 full synthetic
i got the car with 1500 miles, giving it hell since day one, already been to autocross in it
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:

+1
http://www.mustangwarrior.boards.net/
WarriorStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
Your Lucky

I had the notorious left side engine tick
and ask the dealer to change the oil to remove it.

They spent 20 hours labor upon recommendation from Ford direct
to check the cam phasers and related cam timing components to alleviate the tick

When I ask them why didn't you just change the oil and start from there
They stated, I will loose my warranty if the oil is removed before 5000 miles because of the additive to seat the piston rings that Ford uses on all 5.0 engines.

They just would not BUDGE :

And guess what ?

When the engine gets hot and the AC is on
IT STILL TICKS

Screw it !
The Car Hauls ***
I can deal with the 1100 to 1300 rpm tick annoyance
before the tires peel out and the car goes into WoW zone

Its a 2013 base GT with TrackPak
and it runs a 12.5 stock under warranty

GT 5oo muffs make it sound as good as it runs too ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
That works for me
More info on this left side engine ticket? My AC just started ticking. I also have a tick when the clutch is engaging to get into gear.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #47

I know you have to at least break in the tires for 300 miles or so to get good traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Julio1797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT