need torque specs for exhaust bolts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
need torque specs for exhaust bolts

Like the title says. I got a BBR O/R x-pipe from latemodel and it came with no instructions, which is fine, but I have no idea what to torque the flange bolts to. I have a rented needle torque wrench, so it will probably be off either way but I'd feel better knowing. I'm headed to my girl's house to do this now, so the quicker the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Good-n-tight
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Let me look and tell you what my Kooks instructions said. Now keep in mind this would be for my 2013 which should not make a difference but I don't want to give you bad advice either.

Good luck using a torque wrench unless you dropped the K frame or have the motor out from what I heard.
So here you go>>>> 18 ft-lbs for the studs in the block. Then 2 stages with stage 1 to 18 ft-lbs and then stage 2 is to 24 ft-lbs but there is a rotation/sequence required for tightening.

Install new gaskets, the LH exhaust manifold and 8 new nuts.
Tighten nuts in the sequence shown in 2 stages.
Stage 1: Tighten to 24 Nm (18 lb-ft).
Stage 2: Tighten to 32 Nm (24 lb-ft).
2013 Mustang GT Premium, Deep Impact Blue, GT Track Package, Recaros, Ext. Acc. package 1, All Weather Mats, GT500 Axle backs, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Short Throw Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers with catted H, DSS Al Shaft with BMR Loop
PMDMustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here is for the left side. I would think the other would be similar.

I can't upload so here>> top middle rear, bottom middle rear, top middle front, bottom middle front, top rear, bottom front, top front, bottom rear.

Good luck and take your time and try to enjoy it.
2013 Mustang GT Premium, Deep Impact Blue, GT Track Package, Recaros, Ext. Acc. package 1, All Weather Mats, GT500 Axle backs, Airaid CAI, BMR Rear LCAs, BMR Relocation Brackets, JLT Oil Separator(s), Barton 2 Post Shifter Bracket, Steeda Motor Mounts, Barton Short Throw Shifter, JHR Clutch line, BMR adj. UCA and Mount, Kooks 1 3/4 headers with catted H, DSS Al Shaft with BMR Loop
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm talking about the flange bolts where the stock manifolds meet the mid-pipe.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

per my manual 2013 5.0 the cat pipe to the manifold is 89 in-lb alternating increments at each pipe until 30 ft-lbs

Your about ready to take it for a spin.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
In a year or so when you need to take them off, you will think you must have torqued them to 200ft lbs
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know what size socket? I'm trying 15 and 14mm and neither seem to be working.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well damn. It's a 15 and stuck. Also not giving back my socket. Any tips?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Were you putting it back on or taking them off. I replaced ours with hardened nuts & bolts. Removing one, it rounded the nut and I finally got it off using a universal socket. (like a bolt out socket)
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Well damn. It's a 15 and stuck. Also not giving back my socket. Any tips?
Hammer and or prybar
Old 02-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I got 3 of the 4 nuts off but the outside passenger bolt is angled towards the body and is impossible to get a grip on from the engine bay. I might be able to get it with a swivel socket and a breaker bar but it will be very tight. I gave up for the night since I have work at 5am. Also the 2-ton jack I bought can't even get one wheel off The ground, so I had to use the scissor jack. Thing takes forever.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got 3 of the 4 nuts off but the outside passenger bolt is angled towards the body and is impossible to get a grip on from the engine bay. I might be able to get it with a swivel socket and a breaker bar but it will be very tight. I gave up for the night since I have work at 5am. Also the 2-ton jack I bought can't even get one wheel off The ground, so I had to use the scissor jack. Thing takes forever.
Yes if I remember right that is the hardest one and the one that requires many long extensions and removal of the battery and battery support. The others can be accessed, removed, and re-installed from under the car if I remember correctly.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's exhaust not an engine lol. Tighten it until it's nice and tight then maybe a 1/4 turn more.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The top passenger one requires about 20" of extensions. You remove it from above your engine. Ours rounded and I even twisted an extension and broke it. I thought it was toast, but got a "bolt out" head on it and got it to break free. I replaced the studs and nuts on the stock mid pipe with some grade 5 bolts/nuts when we installed the Off Road X Pipe.
If you round the head, get a set like this or similar and it will come off.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have about 22" worth of extensions but 19" of them are from a different set and don't fit together well at all. Hopefully I'll be able to give it another go tonight and see if I can't get The battery tray off.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have about 22" worth of extensions but 19" of them are from a different set and don't fit together well at all. Hopefully I'll be able to give it another go tonight and see if I can't get The battery tray off.
That is piece of cake. Then you will get to the top passenger bolt. Go get some extensions or borrow some and get it done.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I already had the extensions, lol. I ended up actually using a 16mm socket for the top passenger nut. Didn't even take 30 seconds, lol. The 15mm I had been using rounded it out quite a bit.

Finally ended up taking me about 5 hours. About an hour of that was just getting the battery tray out and breaking the O2 sensors loose, another hour was because I got ahead of myself and didn't put the x-pipe together, instead I tried installing each piece individually, so I had to take it all out and put them together off the car, and another 30 was me trying to figure out how the mid-pipe clamps went back on lol.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I totally understand how it takes more time than you plan for or what the installation instructions sometimes call for. It always takes me at least 2 to 3 times more than it probably should.

So now that your done how does it sound to you?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It's much louder than I anticipated with the Rush AB. It cackles and pops much more, and flat out screams if I get on it a little more than usual city driving. I'll see if I can get a video up soon.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You did get an updated tune for the offroad X pipe right? If not that might be why it is cackling and popping more. Un-burnt gas in the exhaust will do that.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I'm running BAMAs 89 street tune that clears the CEL for no cats. I guess it's not more quantity, just more audible now. I've heard a lot of people complain about the smell with no cats, but I love it. I swear I was born at a drag strip.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust