AEROFORCE GAUGE A/F Ratio? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
AEROFORCE GAUGE A/F Ratio?

I'm going to install an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and I'm wondering what my A/F ratio should be with a Bama 93 race tune, boss im, bbk 85mm TB, and stock air box.

I know there is a safe # range. If someone could explain please do. Thanks!
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
On an N/A Application, at WOT, I believe lower 13's is where you want to be.

2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack - Stock... for now.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
On an N/A Application, at WOT, I believe lower 13's is where you want to be.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have read different opinions ranging from 12.5 at WOT to 14 at cruising. Just trying to see what everyone has to say. I have had my Bama tune updated once already for running too rich and just want to be sure it is safe. I mainly bought it for the shift light feature even though reviews say it isn't that bright. But it's a good looking gauge and has good features.
Mods: AED Tune,Boss 302 IM, BBK 85mm TB,Kooks SS Shorty Headers,HF Cats,Alum 1pc DS,Hotchkis Subframe Connectors,Steeda CAI,Roush Axlebacks,Barton Shifter,SR Clutch Line,Boss Oil/Trans Coolers,SVT Fan,Steeda Sport Springs/LCAs/UCA/Shifter Bracket/HD Motor Mounts,BMR LCA Relo Brackets,Koni Shocks/Struts,GT500 Strut Mounts,JLT Oil Sep,Hood Struts,GT500 Spoiler,MMD Taillight Trim,OEM Leather Seats,MT Street Comps on black AMRs,MT ET Street Radial IIs on black Bullits(track duty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Air fuel ratios are measured using "stoich". In a perfect world of fuel/air mixture, you'd want to see a 15:1 ratio. Anything higher that this is considered to be towards lean, and lower is considered towards rich. It would be best to fall into the rich side rather than lean. Most A/F guages I've had (using a ScanGuage II plugged into the OBD 2 port) has shown me readings of 13.8 to 14.2 on my Ford f150 equipped with a 4.2 V6.

If your bored, and looking for some reading material, head here:

Air–fuel ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Air fuel ratios are measured using "stoich". In a perfect world of fuel/air mixture, you'd want to see a 15:1 ratio. Anything higher that this is considered to be towards lean, and lower is considered towards rich. It would be best to fall into the rich side rather than lean. Most A/F guages I've had (using a ScanGuage II plugged into the OBD 2 port) has shown me readings of 13.8 to 14.2 on my Ford f150 equipped with a 4.2 V6.

Awesome thanks for the info and link. The wife is watching a show so I've got some time to read!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Good info. Also remember that the leaner, the more power you'll make. Too lean, and you'll detonate and break something. It's essentially safer to run too rich as opposed to running too lean.

2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack - Stock... for now.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
If you're using the Aeroforce interceptor gauge, it's a lot easier to read your Air/Fuel ratio in lambda. You can setup the gauge to read lambda from your factory wideband sensors, as this what they normally measure Air/Fuel in anyways.

When you're idling or cruising, you should see Lambda honing in on 1. When at WOT, you should see between .82-.84 Lambda.

Lambda is easy because you don't have to worry about what stoich point your fuel requires when calculating acceptable air/fuel ratios. Weather your gasoline has 10% ethanol, or 15%, or even 0% ethanol, you should still be looking for those same Lambda points.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
If you're using the Aeroforce interceptor gauge, it's a lot easier to read your Air/Fuel ratio in lambda. You can setup the gauge to read lambda from your factory wideband sensors, as this what they normally measure Air/Fuel in anyways.

When you're idling or cruising, you should see Lambda honing in on 1. When at WOT, you should see between .82-.84 Lambda.

Lambda is easy because you don't have to worry about what stoich point your fuel requires when calculating acceptable air/fuel ratios. Weather your gasoline has 10% ethanol, or 15%, or even 0% ethanol, you should still be looking for those same Lambda points.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Shane, thanks for the reply. Great info, I'll look into it.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

OK I got the gauge installed. I am monitoring CMD AF Ratio. At idle it fluctuates between 13.8 and 14.2. At WOT it's at a constant 11.8. Is this ok?

Also, I can't get the gauge to display lambda. When I select it, it will scan lambda for a second, not display a number, and then reboot. Am I missing something? Does anyone know how to set this guage to read lambda? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

put it in frat mode
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I think I found the answer. Another forum mentioned scanning Equiv Ratio B1/B2. I tried that and I guess it is reading lambda. As AMShaneLesky mentioned in a previous post, at idle it is honing around 1, and at WOT I'm getting .83

So I'm assuming everything is good. .83 x 14.64 = 12.15 at WOT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT