Good list of mods to prep for supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Good list of mods to prep for supercharger

Say you don't have a budget that lets you jump to a super charger. What are mods that work well on their own and also get you closer to getting the most from your supercharger. Example, I heard shorties are preferred over long tubes for SC.

I'll start;

Shorty headers (vs long tube)
Single piece drive shaft and safety loop
New shifter
Tune (then tune again)
X or H mid (X race, H street)
Axle-backs
Would new cams help or hurt before SC?

Thanks in advance
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

Region: Virginia
First off, you didn't mention your intentions for your car....do you want a fast DD or a corner carver or a drag car? Mods really will depend on what you want your car to be.

Now as far as just what you asked......Not sure where you heard shorty headers are better for a blower, but I've run LTs on both my 4.6 and my 5.0 and I would never even consider shortys, not just on their own, but for any forced induction setup. That being said, I'd say putting a full exhaust on your car will give you HP now as well as sound and be even better once the blower goes on. I will say a shifter was the first mod I installed on my 4.6, but having no insight into the MT82 on the 5.0, I can't say for sure if I'd do it on a current gen car. As far as a tune goes, you will want a dyno tune or at the very least a canned tune from VMP, Lund, Shaun @AED etc, with the blower, so adding an NA tune really won't get you anything in terms of being ready for a blower, but it will totally change the feel of the car in the mean time.

Some other things to consider, building the bottom end to support higher boost, intake if you are going centri blower, suspension because 2 billion HP gets you nowhere if you can't get it to the ground and obviously some sticky tires. I will say this, I've done the exhaust and complete suspension on my car and with my tune, I'm quite content with what should be a low 11 sec car with sticky tires at the track. I thought I was going to add a Kenne Bell or Whipple to mine, but for now at least, I'll enjoy my 11 daily driver and not worry about blowing out my bottom end because I wanted 650rwhp instead of 400. Good luck with whatever you choose.
bamf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Well said. I may get it into good enough shape and decide against the supercharger. Decided to order the shifter as next mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
Say you don't have a budget that lets you jump to a super charger. What are mods that work well on their own and also get you closer to getting the most from your supercharger. Example, I heard shorties are preferred over long tubes for SC.

I'll start;

Shorty headers (vs long tube)
Single piece drive shaft and safety loop
New shifter
Tune (then tune again)
X or H mid (X race, H street)
Axle-backs
Would new cams help or hurt before SC?

Thanks in advance
You forget SUSPENSION. That is far more important in being able to control all the extra horsepower you are looking for. Better add Brakes, if you get it going you have to be able to stop it. Tires....Now, you can get started.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo1 View Post
Thanks. Well said. I may get it into good enough shape and decide against the supercharger. Decided to order the shifter as next mod

Thanks. Glad to help.

I know this one is $$$ but I bought one for my son's 2002 GT(much less cost wise) and I was very impressed with this one.....
http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
bamf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I watched the installation video probably 15 times since last year - yep, MGW for $385 and don't look back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT