2014 mustang gt auto first mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #1

Region: Canada
2014 mustang gt auto first mods

Ok so to get started I'm 21 the mustang is my first car I'm new to these forums I've had my car for a year know an want to start adding some mods the car has 22 thousand km and I've only used 87 octane fuel an everything is bone stock so I've saved up about 2 grand and wanted to get these three mods done first any input or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

1) the first mod I wanted to do was borla s axle back quad tips an remove the resonators (in the future possibly next year also want to add off road h pipe an long tube headers)
. That's what I want it to sound like

2) the second mod is AEM cold air intake I'm thinking this intake because it's the only intake I can find that does not let water into the hood vents I live In Toronto I daily drive this car I do have a winter beater but only for when roads are bad an for most off the year the car is not in a garage

3) the third mod is a bama sf3/x3 power flash tuner an to start running 94 octane fuel because they don't have 93 an a 93 race tune

So let me know what u guys think and any other mods should possibly add next year
gallagher771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
The mods that I think give you the most power and performance for cheap are the boss 302 intake manifold 499$, bama tuner 379$, any type of axle back exhaust I have roush but it's all in what you like, and of course cold air intake price varies, and the off road x pipe is better than the h pipe
5pointOHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

I think a tune and tuner will be your best first investment. It is absolutely incredible how much better these cars run with a good tune.
Crimson_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I basically did the exact same set up, different components but allot of that is taste. I think the cold air and Bama tuner is great idea. Woke mine up big time. I did pype bombs axle back but again that is all about sound. I actually did do the Pypes off road H pipe as well and I love the set up. I did all of mine for $2,000 installed but that may me because airraid was cheaper or because Borla is higher. Either way man congrats on the mods and definitely post when you do.

Bonus: I just had BAMA send me a tune for hypbrid to replace the performance... I would definitely ask for that. I was running Race and really notice a difference. Hybrid is good at launch, high RPM's and is a about the same on gas. Do notice a better idle too.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

I did BAMA tune and JLT CAI. BTW that combo is on sale at American muscle this month. I know some on this forum prefer tuners other than BAMA, however I have had nothing but great experiences with BAMA and AM. Best of luck and have fun!! Oh and most importantly......POST PICS!!

James
Crimson_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_RN View Post
I did BAMA tune and JLT CAI. BTW that combo is on sale at American muscle this month. I know some on this forum prefer tuners other than BAMA, however I have had nothing but great experiences with BAMA and AM. Best of luck and have fun!! Oh and most importantly......POST PICS!!

James
I agree about BAMA very responsive. Trying to find anything online to show ACTUAL numbers comparing tuners and cant. Tunes fro life HUGE plus
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I agree about BAMA very responsive. Trying to find anything online to show ACTUAL numbers comparing tuners and cant. Tunes fro life HUGE plus
Tunes for life is a gimmick. All the tuners give free revisions.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Tunes for life is a gimmick. All the tuners give free revisions.
LOL... don't mind GrabberBlue5.0... he is always condescending and knows more.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
LOL... don't mind GrabberBlue5.0... he is always condescending and knows more.
Because I do. Did I say anything that wasn't true?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Forget about the CAI, your stock air filter is just as good if not better than most CAIs.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you thought of adjustable coil overs? Imho
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would save your money on the cai and the axle back exhaust. For the money you will spend on these two items, you can put your money elsewhere.
first.stang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOHHH View Post
The mods that I think give you the most power and performance for cheap are the boss 302 intake manifold 499$, bama tuner 379$, any type of axle back exhaust I have roush but it's all in what you like, and of course cold air intake price varies, and the off road x pipe is better than the h pipe
Horrible advice. Do you even know how to use the boss to its advantage? Bc your bama tune is not it for 1. What is your car spinning to? What are your other mods?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Rapinator126 I just got a boss mani. Should I buy the Airraid CAI and get the Bama tune that comes with the kit on AM?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Rapinator126 I just got a boss mani. Should I buy the Airraid CAI and get the Bama tune that comes with the kit on AM?
Go with someone other than bama. Aed, lund , rev auto , vmp,
As far as the cai goes only time it's beneficial is if you are heavily modded. Or if you want it just for looks.

If your car is pretty much stock, just go with your stock cai with the boss mani. And a tune from the ones I listed above. Use the cai money on suspension etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks rapinator gallagher771 IMHO people like you and me who buy new cars do it for the warranty. Once you tune it and start replacing engine parts you immediately void the drivetrain warranty. You can up grade your suspension and as long as your pinion angle is within spec you keep your warranty. You can put bigger tires to plant all the power and still keep the warranty. You get the point. Better yet install ford suspension parts and you should be fine. I will be upgrading to FI once my warranty expires.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Thanks rapinator gallagher771 IMHO people like you and me who buy new cars do it for the warranty. Once you tune it and start replacing engine parts you immediately void the drivetrain warranty. You can up grade your suspension and as long as your pinion angle is within spec you keep your warranty. You can put bigger tires to plant all the power and still keep the warranty. You get the point. Better yet install ford suspension parts and you should be fine. I will be upgrading to FI once my warranty expires.
Thats not totally true.

To gallagher771:
Ignore the blanket statements and ask the people that actually make the decisions - your dealer.

Every part you replace voids only that piece of the warantee..UNLESS you use ford parts and have the dealer install it. Offcourse you'll pay up the hole for it. The best thing you can do is actually talk to your service guy at Ford and ask them before you mod. I was told that a tune will NOT void the warantee. Off course if you blow an engine internal because of an over-aggressive tune (aka... do it yourself), it may be a challenging to explain your way out of that stinkfest.

I do agree however that modding the crap out of a brand new car doesnt qualify as a smart decision. My advice - do what you are doing, DONT swap out any exhaust other than the axle backs, tune, LCAs, perf tires, CAI (with a venturi tube), strut tower brace. You'll have around 450 HP, stay planted and can always go back to stock without yanking off parts. You'll keep 90% of your warantee with the above setup.

Its a well documented fact that the 13-14 GTs benefit much less with bolt on mods than older models. Tuning is still king however. Spend that mod money on wheels/tires/cosmetics...nothing impressive about a vanilla stock look car with a closed hood. Who gets more dates - a gorgeous eye candy girl vs a plain Jane with a hot body hidden under 3 layers of sweat shirts. ;o)

I strike up more conversations with how my car looks...great at car shows.
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

2014 mustang gt auto first mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Thats not totally true.

To gallagher771:
Ignore the blanket statements and ask the people that actually make the decisions - your dealer.

Every part you replace voids only that piece of the warantee..UNLESS you use ford parts and have the dealer install it. Offcourse you'll pay up the hole for it. The best thing you can do is actually talk to your service guy at Ford and ask them before you mod. I was told that a tune will NOT void the warantee. Off course if you blow an engine internal because of an over-aggressive tune (aka... do it yourself), it may be a challenging to explain your way out of that stinkfest.

I do agree however that modding the crap out of a brand new car doesnt qualify as a smart decision. My advice - do what you are doing, DONT swap out any exhaust other than the axle backs, tune, LCAs, perf tires, CAI (with a venturi tube), strut tower brace. You'll have around 450 HP, stay planted and can always go back to stock without yanking off parts. You'll keep 90% of your warantee with the above setup.

Its a well documented fact that the 13-14 GTs benefit much less with bolt on mods than older models. Tuning is still king however. Spend that mod money on wheels/tires/cosmetics...nothing impressive about a vanilla stock look car with a closed hood. Who gets more dates - a gorgeous eye candy girl vs a plain Jane with a hot body hidden under 3 layers of sweat shirts. ;o)

I strike up more conversations with how my car looks...great at car shows.
Couple of mistakes or lack of clarification:

1.) "Every part you replace voids only that piece of the warantee." If you change the rods and pistons to effectively change your compression you void your entire powertrain warranty. A tune will effectively void your warranty on the engine and if they can prove that the added power to the drivetrain caused gear or transmission failure then that's voided too. For GT500s if you change out the supercharger with an aftermarket it would probably void your powertrain warranty as well not just your stock supercharger warranty.

2.) A tune will void your warranty. Don't listen to your Ford tech or service advisor. I know the service manager at my dealership and he says your warranty is null and void with a tune. Don't go around spewing this inaccurate information. What if someone read this and went out doing mods and tunes and ends up blowing their car up? They should go into modding their cars with eyes wide open and not with false info.

3.) "...can always go back to stock without yanking off parts." The very definition of going back to stock is to reinstall OEM parts so you need to yank off parts lol
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Couple of mistakes or lack of clarification:

1.) "Every part you replace voids only that piece of the warantee." If you change the rods and pistons to effectively change your compression you void your entire powertrain warranty. A tune will effectively void your warranty on the engine and if they can prove that the added power to the drivetrain caused gear or transmission failure then that's voided too. For GT500s if you change out the supercharger with an aftermarket it would probably void your powertrain warranty as well not just your stock supercharger warranty.

2.) A tune will void your warranty. Don't listen to your Ford tech or service advisor. I know the service manager at my dealership and he says your warranty is null and void with a tune. Don't go around spewing this inaccurate information. What if someone read this and went out doing mods and tunes and ends up blowing their car up? They should go into modding their cars with eyes wide open and not with false info.

3.) "...can always go back to stock without yanking off parts." The very definition of going back to stock is to reinstall OEM parts so you need to yank off parts lol

Re-read my post where I said to "talk to Ford FIRST" before adding any mods. My father was a Ford tech for 22 years, so I probably have more insight than most. If I need dealer service...can I keep my vinyl striping? kidding

to #1 "rods pistons, S/C swap out, GT500"...maybe you're replying to someone else?

I was told -direct- from the dealer that if I returned my tune to stock, that would be fine and warantee work could be done. Yes I know it leaves a footprint in the ECU. Im "spewing" information out of the Ford service mangers mouth (the only guy that matters here)....what source are you "spewing" from?

A CAI, LCAs tires and a tune will not void your warantee...period. If your dealer says it will go to another Ford dealer and you will get a different answer. If you put on a new manifold, non Ford gears, swap out headers...etc...then yes you risk not getting warantee work.

Lastly, I cant imagine any of the big name companies would EVER send a tune that would "blow up" your mustang. Its a liability issue. The only people blowing up their engines with a tune are do-it-yourselfers and guys who blindly mod.

Ford wants to alienate all its customers in your area apparently. AGAIN, do not take hard advice from anyone in a forum, talk to your Ford dealer FIRST before modding your mustang!!! (got it?) If you dont care about warantees...then mod away!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post

Re-read my post where I said to "talk to Ford FIRST" before adding any mods. My father was a Ford tech for 22 years, so I probably have more insight than most. If I need dealer service...can I keep my vinyl striping? kidding

to #1 "rods pistons, S/C swap out, GT500"...maybe you're replying to someone else?

I was told -direct- from the dealer that if I returned my tune to stock, that would be fine and warantee work could be done. Yes I know it leaves a footprint in the ECU. Im "spewing" information out of the Ford service mangers mouth (the only guy that matters here)....what source are you "spewing" from?

A CAI, LCAs tires and a tune will not void your warantee...period. If your dealer says it will go to another Ford dealer and you will get a different answer. If you put on a new manifold, non Ford gears, swap out headers...etc...then yes you risk not getting warantee work.

Lastly, I cant imagine any of the big name companies would EVER send a tune that would "blow up" your mustang. Its a liability issue. The only people blowing up their engines with a tune are do-it-yourselfers and guys who blindly mod.

Ford wants to alienate all its customers in your area apparently. AGAIN, do not take hard advice from anyone in a forum, talk to your Ford dealer FIRST before modding your mustang!!! (got it?) If you dont care about warantees...then mod away!
Hi Gladiatoro! You may have changed your screen name but you still do your double talks all the same lol. You still don't read people's posts. And apparently you still don't read your own words carefully before posting.

My source is a service manager. The dealership has had to void some warranties because Ford denied the claim. From that point forward Ford has a record of your vehicle by VIN of what was modded that voided your warranty.

It's not up to the dealer to deny jack. They deny warranty work at times cuz they've probably had to foot the repair bill on some work they've done in the past under warranty but was later denied by Ford. So now they're overly cautious about modded cars.

Im super cool with the service manager. That's why when I told him I have a tune on my car when my SCT tuner fried my ECM he immediately got on the phone and told the tech to stop work and DO NOT uplink to Ford for diagnostics. They eventually replaced the module under warranty work but if they would have up linked it to Ford I'm screwed in terms of warranty from then on.

As for my #1 point about pistons and rods it was in response to your "each modded part only voids that piece of the warranty." That's a very stupid and simplistic view. You change that piston out and your warranty's out the window.

Since you don't read comments very carefully let me repeat this for you Gladiatoro: As for my #1 point about pistons and rods it was in response to your "each modded part only voids that piece of the warranty." That's a very stupid and simplistic view. You change that piston out and your warranty's out the window.

And finally... I'm just gonna 😆 at your whole no big name company will EVER send out a tune that will blow up an engine. Lmao

You, WyleGladiato, are reckless and incomplete in your "advices" that you give. You're irresponsibility will lead someone to get screwed in his/her road to modding his/her Stang.

PS: I gotta make one last LMAO comment about your "AGAIN, do not take hard advice from anyone in a forum, talk to your Ford dealer FIRST before modding your mustang!!! (got it?)" By saying this you just confirmed that no one should take what you say seriously and that what you're actually saying is just a whole bunch of nothing.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

dallASStang77
What exactly is a "Gladiatoro"?.....you keep posting that like I know or care what that means. So you disagree with me...boo-hoo lets move on. If you have issues with EVERYTHING I post...well thats a personal problem that others arent interested in. This is a Mustang forum last I checked.

For everyone else....

If warantee matters to you, ask your service manger first before adding parts. If a tune (in their eyes) voids a warantee, go to a DIFFERENT Ford dealership (any certified Ford service center can work on your car) and ask them the same questions. Responses may vary from location to location. My source, as Ive mentioned multiple times, is my father and his 22 years of service experience with Ford and my own personal service experiences.

Im 40 yrs old, have owned 5 mustangs, 3 of those serviced -no issues- WITH a previous tune that was returned to stock. 1 of the 5 was a Mach1 restoration so warantee didnt apply and the other I didnt mod at all (was only 18 at the time) .

Good Luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang