8" shallow subwoofer replacement in front doors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
8" shallow subwoofer replacement in front doors?

So I'm pretty happy with my base Shaker system but I'm a bass junkie and craving a little more. I didn't go with the Shaker Pro system because the sound difference couldn't justify the price and I enjoy customizing car audio. I really don't want a box in my trunk anymore so I'm just looking to get a little more bump out of my front subs. Every where I read they say to just leave the front subs alone due to their shallow mounting depth (3 1/4") and low impedance (1.8 ohms). I can't seem to find any info about what our factoruy subs handle as far as RMS wattage and peak however. Well I seem to have found an awesome alternative to our factory subs but I wanted to get your take on this. Check these possible direct replacements out:

Earthquake SWS-8XI (SWS8XI) 8" Single 2 ohm SWS Car Subwoofer

Wondering if these will actually work as direct replacement however, and if theyll give off a little more bump with the same amps. I'm still learning impedances so I'm not sure if the fact that our factory subs are 1.8 ohms and these ones are 2 ohms will be an issue.

Any input or comments are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

the sound may be a bit better, but with the stock amp, you won't be overly impressed with the improvement, the factory amp is a different ohm as well, research it a little, there's some info out there, I bit the bullet and went with a conventional trunk mounted sub and replaced the door subs with 6 3/4" midrange kicker components

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I've done plenty of searching and I just can't find specifics. Can't find out what kind of amps power these front door subs. Whether its 1 amp per sub or 1 2 channel for both, where theyre located, and what kind of power they put out. It would be sweat if it was a 2 channel under a seat somewhere then that would be a pretty cheap and quick switch out. I really dont wanna run wires. just wanna do as simple a job as i can possibly do hopefully using the stock wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2011 and it has a single amp, mounted on the drivers side kick panel to the left of the clutch, I've heard that the 12+ cars have two amps.........

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Go onto the Shelby site and buy the Shelby kicker door subs. I have them in my car and love them. It comes with all the hardware, mounts in place of the old door subs, and sound great. I matched them with JL audio speakers all the way around and the system sounds incredible.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-8-woofer.htm
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Very nice. Those Shelby subs seem like theyll be tough to beat at $149 a pair.

Would you guys happen to know where the factory 8" sub amps are located in the 13's? I'm having a nightmare of a time find out info on how this shaker 500 is setup. I can only seem to find pretty basic things on the fourms. I need more numbers.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I believe the passenger foot well.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
So these are a straight bolt-in replacement on a '13 GT with the Shaker (not Shaker pro) system? No need to add any amplifiers or other components?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Correct
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the info!
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Not a problem. I'm sure you will like them.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Striker is there anyway you can upload a video to hear the sound quality thanks
ThePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My car is getting worked on at the dealer right now, but I'm not sure if a video will be a good demo. It will probably be muffled. I'll try though.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I have the shaker 1000
Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I was doing my homework on the 5x7 or whatever size they are in the doors and I ended up ordering the Infinity speakers. They were about $40 cheaper then the Kicker 5x7's and I have had infinity before, so I know they are a quality speaker.

I think this in combo with the Kicker subs is going to sound awesome...

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6832cf 6 x 8/5 x 7-Inch, 180-Watt High Performance 2-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics

Got this too...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck
Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The infinity speakers will work in the 5x7 speaker mount. I would not recommend using the wire harness. I used them in mine, but ended up rewiring because the harness had a bad connection and sound would go in and out. Solder and shrink tubing is the best solution IMO.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The infinity speakers will work in the 5x7 speaker mount. I would not recommend using the wire harness. I used them in mine, but ended up rewiring because the harness had a bad connection and sound would go in and out. Solder and shrink tubing is the best solution IMO.

Ok I will look into that, thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
On my wish list...

wants the Shelby sub upgrades for the doors!!!
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
So I was doing my homework on the 5x7 or whatever size they are in the doors and I ended up ordering the Infinity speakers. They were about $40 cheaper then the Kicker 5x7's and I have had infinity before, so I know they are a quality speaker.

I think this in combo with the Kicker subs is going to sound awesome...

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6832cf 6 x 8/5 x 7-Inch, 180-Watt High Performance 2-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics

Got this too...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is an incredible deal. You can direct the tweeter towards the seats as they are a swivel design. Wish I'd known about these before I replaced mine. :/
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
This is an incredible deal. You can direct the tweeter towards the seats as they are a swivel design. Wish I'd known about these before I replaced mine. :/
Yeah, I cam across this post a week ago and saw striker79's post. After going to the Shelby link and looking at the sub's I went ahead and ordered them. As I was driving home from NOLA over the weekend, I noticed a small rattle coming from my speakers and I noticed the 5x7 speakers in the upper part of the door. I went to the Shelby site and looked at the kicker 5x7s and they were close to $100, did a google search for the 5x7 and those infinitys popped up...I have had Infinity in the past and was always happy with them so I ordered them.

What speakers did you go with?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Rockford fosgate r168x2. Got four of them for $78 shipped through online aesthetes. I would have definitely gotten the infinity's for the fronts. :/

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Onlinecarstereo.com. Lol
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up going with JL Audio C2-570X and they sound incredible. A bit more expensive, but I love them. I just have never been a fan of Infinity speakers. I worked in the Car Audio department when circuit city was around and always found JL Audio and Polk to have the best quality speakers.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ended up going with JL Audio C2-570X and they sound incredible. A bit more expensive, but I love them. I just have never been a fan of Infinity speakers. I worked in the Car Audio department when circuit city was around and always found JL Audio and Polk to have the best quality speakers.

Yeah, I have always been a fan of JL...I bet they sound great!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I have always been a fan of JL...I bet they sound great!
They do sound great.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Got the speakers installed today...Man, the subs do not "hit" as hard but the sound is so clear and crisp compared to stock. I might end up putting a sub in the trunk for the hell of it...

Two thumbs up! I highly recommend changing your stock speakers out!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed they didn't hit as hard either. But the clarity is great, and unless you dampen the entire door it would rattle a lot with subs that hit hard. I can't stand when people drive past and you just here the car rattling.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Deerslayer put it an all in one amp/woofer combo and it took very little space and it hit hard. Hit him up for the specifics. Very cheap too.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking about just putting a 250 kicker with a 12" in the trunk...Something simple that will give that humph I am looking for...maybe add a crossover so I can have adjustable base frequency.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Are u guys saying that the shelby kicker subs dont hit as hard?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO View Post
Yes, they do not hit as hard...But they are very loud and they sound SOOO much better! The speaker rattle and distortion is gone. The clarity is amazing!

If you want more BOOM, I recommend just dropping a sub in the trunk.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO View Post
Found this, if you just wanted to do your door speakers...I think I would just do a sub in the trunk for the money though...

2013+ 4.1 Channel Shelby Kicker Amp For Premium (Shaker) Audio
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Found this, if you just wanted to do your door speakers...I think I would just do a sub in the trunk for the money though...

2013+ 4.1 Channel Shelby Kicker Amp For Premium (Shaker) Audio

Sweet. Where would this be located in our cars? Still havent dug into it yet.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I have a sweet JL 4 channel amp lying around. Id love to replace the amp in the car now with that. Not sure if the factory wires could handle it tho.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT