New Mustang owner. Suggestions on install for 2014 Mustang V6. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Region: Texas
New Mustang owner. Suggestions on install for 2014 Mustang V6.

Hi everyone. New Mustang owner here (2014 v6 model) and I am just looking to add a couple installs to my car to make it accelerate faster/have better low end torque. For reference I selected the manual version of the car.

So far from my research I have seen the number one thing that is recommended are gears. This gets me very excited, and I now know for sure I am going with that install first but my question then lies: 3.73 or 4.10s?

A little bit more about the area I live in (Katy, TX near Houston) most of the driving I will be doing is in speed limits less than or = to 60 mph. So what I am trying to maximize is the low end torque, the one that makes you feel like your heart just shot out your a$$.

A little more about me: I was mainly a motorcycle rider (hence why I like torque) and am 25 years old.
centrifugal 4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
? was self answered, if you want the best off line and don't do much hwy go for the 4.10's....but then I saw speed limit is 60 NOT I don't drive over 60...
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
? was self answered, if you want the best off line and don't do much hwy go for the 4.10's....but then I saw speed limit is 60 NOT I don't drive over 60...
Well lets just leave it at "speed limit is at 60"

Now I am a total noob when it comes to cars since my main commuter was a 2001 Dodge Ram V6 Manual and a 2011 Daytona 675.

What exactly do gears do? Like when I am in 1st gear in the 4.10 vs 1st gear in the stock gears (which I believe are the horrible 2.7s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

The lower gears that are stock are so Ford can claim the 19/29 MPG or whatever it is, good for MPG, awful for the "pull" from torque. 4.10's are basically for drag cars or people that really don't care about MPG, makes the car launch like it was shot out of a rocket, but tire spin can also be bad with higher gearing, on stock suspension.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I can't remember who it was exactly but someone on here did calculations and with 4:10s the max stress level of the sh*tty two piece stock driveshaft is like 90, so you may also want to consider getting an aluminum driveshaft. Also if going with 3:73s, 3:55s, or 4:10s you will need to get a tuning device, preferably an SCT one (I recommend going with the steeda package wich comes with the tuning device, and free tunes for life.) Now if you look around on the forum you will more than likely see threads about tunes and warranties, since you have a new 2014, steeda is your best bet because if something goes wrong with your car and the dealer blamed it on the tune Steeda will be there to back you up. They also work with Ford to make Steeda serialized vehicles. Nothing to worry about.
Now to sum up everything i just said, get steeda tunes, gears, and one piece driveshaft and you will be amazed at the difference. As far as other upgrades go for the MT82 (your card manual transmission) I'd recommend getting the Barton short throw kit from AmericanMuscle.com. This will greatly improve your shifts. You could also get some lowering springs to help with handling and the stance of the car, and another good upgrade would be either an axleback or Catback exhaust system. For this your going to want to hope on to youtube to look at ideas. Some if the more popular ones are Borla ATAKS, S-Types, and Touring, Magnaflow Streets, Ford Racing Sports, and Roush. Hope this helped in someway and congrats on the new stang, you will love driving her.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
I can't remember who it was exactly but someone on here did calculations and with 4:10s the max stress level of the sh*tty two piece stock driveshaft is like 90, so you may also want to consider getting an aluminum driveshaft. Also if going with 3:73s, 3:55s, or 4:10s you will need to get a tuning device, preferably an SCT one (I recommend going with the steeda package wich comes with the tuning device, and free tunes for life.) Now if you look around on the forum you will more than likely see threads about tunes and warranties, since you have a new 2014, steeda is your best bet because if something goes wrong with your car and the dealer blamed it on the tune Steeda will be there to back you up. They also work with Ford to make Steeda serialized vehicles. Nothing to worry about.
Now to sum up everything i just said, get steeda tunes, gears, and one piece driveshaft and you will be amazed at the difference. As far as other upgrades go for the MT82 (your card manual transmission) I'd recommend getting the Barton short throw kit from AmericanMuscle.com. This will greatly improve your shifts. You could also get some lowering springs to help with handling and the stance of the car, and another good upgrade would be either an axleback or Catback exhaust system. For this your going to want to hope on to youtube to look at ideas. Some if the more popular ones are Borla ATAKS, S-Types, and Touring, Magnaflow Streets, Ford Racing Sports, and Roush. Hope this helped in someway and congrats on the new stang, you will love driving her.
Lot of suggestions, thank you.

So when I get new gears I am going to need to get a new tune and driveshaft? Just curious, I was going to get my car tuned via a dyno @ 2k miles. Would I still need the steeda?

So even a tune can void warranty?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
The lower gears that are stock are so Ford can claim the 19/29 MPG or whatever it is, good for MPG, awful for the "pull" from torque. 4.10's are basically for drag cars or people that really don't care about MPG, makes the car launch like it was shot out of a rocket, but tire spin can also be bad with higher gearing, on stock suspension.
Ok that sounds exciting. And I really don't care about mpg, or else I would have purchased a Fusion lol.

So there really is a big difference when changing the gears.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I think a good medium would be 3:55 or 3:73 gears, I have an auto GT with 3:15 stock gearing, but with the gearing in the transmission, it's equal to a 3:55 in a manual, good launching, and good MPG unless I stomp on the pedal every light.

It would still feel much faster off the line with a 3:55 vs the crappy 2:73's in the auto V6.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrifugal 4ce View Post

Lot of suggestions, thank you.

So when I get new gears I am going to need to get a new tune and driveshaft? Just curious, I was going to get my car tuned via a dyno @ 2k miles. Would I still need the steeda?

So even a tune can void warranty?
Yes you will need a new tune, a Dyno tune would work fine, however make sure it's pretty close to when you install the gears because without a tune your odometer will rise faster and/or your speedometer will be off cant remember which one is right. The driveshaft isn't necessary with 4:10s unless your going to be going over 80 mph. You may go a little faster but ill just say 80 to be on the safe side. Reason being is that the stock driveshaft ford puts on is sh*tty and has been known on 2:73 (stock gears) to explode at around 130 mph, and when changing to a gear such as 4:10 the breaking point will be at around 96 mph or close to there due to stress.

The golden question lol. Yes and no,the best way I can put it would be to plan on it voiding the warranty, however if you have a reputable tuner tune your car there is an extremely small to nonexistent chance of things going bad. This is why I recommend Steeda because they are the only tuner who is actually associated with ford except for ford racing which only does GTs. Because of this you really have nothing to worry about when using tunes from steeda. However, Dyno tunes are great because they are specific to your car, just make sure it is a reputable shop.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats on the new Stang. If you ever go FI get 3.31 or 3.73 if you are not. I have 3.73 on my gt manual and love the way it pulls. 1st mod should a MGW shifter. This will give you complete control of the gears.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrifugal 4ce View Post
Hi everyone. New Mustang owner here (2014 v6 model) and I am just looking to add a couple installs to my car to make it accelerate faster/have better low end torque. For reference I selected the manual version of the car.

So far from my research I have seen the number one thing that is recommended are gears. This gets me very excited, and I now know for sure I am going with that install first but my question then lies: 3.73 or 4.10s?

A little bit more about the area I live in (Katy, TX near Houston) most of the driving I will be doing is in speed limits less than or = to 60 mph. So what I am trying to maximize is the low end torque, the one that makes you feel like your heart just shot out your a$$.

A little more about me: I was mainly a motorcycle rider (hence why I like torque) and am 25 years old.
Get a performance tuner for your first mod. Then gears 2nd unless you can afford both at the same time.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Get a performance tuner for your first mod. Then gears 2nd unless you can afford both at the same time.
Right now I have 600 dollars to play with. I can save up a bit and add more to that, but I really don't want to spend over 800 or so dollars including labor.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Unfortunatly (sp?) if you do tune your car there is a good chance most of your power train wtty will be lost. I suggest talking to your dealer first and even then I doubt they will put in writing that you'll be covered. The risk is small but it is there. The other thing is doing gears is a tricky job and some folks have had issues with noise, if noise will freak you out approach this with caution. If you want to keep the wtty intact your Ford dealer can install 3.31 gears and reflash the computer to keep your odo/speedo correct but they can't put in higher gears (or at least they can't flash for higher). Mine came with the 3.31 and haven driven both it's a noticeable improvement. I would prefer higher but don't want to void my wtty. I ain't paranoid, don't you see the bad guys hiding behind those rocks? Well of course not, that's why they are hiding....

Gears will give you faster acceleration at a loss of top end speed (already limited with Fords stock tune to 112?) and in town will have little affect on mpg if you shift by rpm as you can get into a higher gear faster. They will affect hwy mpg as your engine will have to turn higher rpms to maintain the same speed. with my 3.31 I'm at 2k at 70mph if you raise the gear ratio 20% it would be 2400 rpm. You did mention mpg ain't important which is good there are a good number of us with the V6 who are a bit dissapointed with the mpg's but if you consider the fun per gallon you'll be good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2014 mustang