Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Advice

I'll be upgrading to a 2013 GT Premium in the next few weeks and was thinking about lightly modding the vehicle. My current car is a 13 V6 and I enjoy driving it. My only problem with the 6 is that there is a governor on it and I hate the feeling that I get when I max it out because it still feels like the car wants to continue accelerating but the limiter stops it from doing so. So I decided on an upgrade, plus my friend has a 13 GT and the sound of the Coyote is a work of art.

That being said, I have a $6000 budget that I could spend towards mods. Should I just leave the car stock until I get used to the HP difference between the GT and the V6? Should I get an intake/tune/wheels and just be done with it? I'm not trying to spend all of my money, but I do want some thing slightly faster than stock. I live in NJ and can't do the maintenance myself so I will have to pay a shop. The car will be my daily driver and will be taken to the strip for Wednesday night Test and Tune. I don't really care about beating people, I'm smart enough to know that there will always be someone faster. The track allows me to socialize with a diverse group of people that I wouldn't normally socialize with. I just want to enjoy the experience of owning a Mustang GT.

I saw on AM that they had a Boss Manifold, intake, tune, and throttle body set up. What does that really do for the car? Is it worth the money, and will those four together require other upgrades?

Also, if I was to intake/tune/wheels the car and call it a day what would be my best bang for buck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm just trying to educate myself before spending money that I could otherwise save.

Thanks.
aminus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Unless your trying for big power the boss i/m isn't really going to do a lot for you.
I would do a cai(jlt or airaid), with a 93 oct. tune, axle back exhaust( I have roush a/b and love it, although if you're going to do a o/r mid pipe it will get real loud), tint, lowering springs and wheels/tires.

That should get you 25 hp, and improve the looks, and sound.

If you want a little more get an off road mid pipe(if you have smog check probably not a good idea) or high flow catted mid pipe. You'll need a custom tune, the o/r pipe/tune will get you another 15-20. The catted one a little less.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just as a side note, the V6 can go faster but not without upgrading your drive shaft. If you take the governor off you'll twist the stock shaft.

The boss mani makes you lose a smidge on the lower end for more on the higher end, but if you aren't willing to go past 7000 rpms it's a waste. The throttle bodies are a waste on the 5.0s so I've heard, and the stock intake is already as good as aftermarket.

I personally would lower it, tint the windows if you're into that, buy a set of wheels that you love and make the car look like your own. Mod the exhaust to your liking, get an AED tune, and I still think you'd have plenty of money left over.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Just as a side note, the V6 can go faster but not without upgrading your drive shaft. If you take the governor off you'll twist the stock shaft.

The boss mani makes you lose a smidge on the lower end for more on the higher end, but if you aren't willing to go past 7000 rpms it's a waste. The throttle bodies are a waste on the 5.0s so I've heard, and the stock intake is already as good as aftermarket.

I personally would lower it, tint the windows if you're into that, buy a set of wheels that you love and make the car look like your own. Mod the exhaust to your liking, get an AED tune, and I still think you'd have plenty of money left over.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Auto? Manual? More info needed on your car
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I would definitely buy the car and wait. Not because you might change your mind... you won't, lol. But its like a girlfriend who dies her hair... you get a new girlfriend. Seriously the power upgrade will be awesome. then as you get used to that and enjoying it doing the mods will make it all new again. I am going through the same thing now. I just did off road H pipe, axle backs and a cold air with Tune... WOW what a difference like a new car. I also got the Barton short shifter and bracket. If getting the manual I HIGHLY suggest it. Make the Manual go from o-k... to great. FYI - my shop did all of that for $325 for what its worth.

My next is going to be new control arms, black wheels and Eibach suspension pack. I also got side louvers and a CDC performance grille and I think when I am done I will be at under or around $6000
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The car will be a 2013 GT Premium Auto. Most likely with out any packages. I'm still looking for the right car, as most of the ones that I've found are listed as a Premium but aren't actually a premium.

Coyote -- You pretty much said what I was thinking in terms of the mods. Airaid seems to be a popular choice with fellow Mustang owners.

Kar -- I've seem the videos on Youtube of people removing the governor and messing up their cars big time. AM has a one piece driveshaft for like $700 but I didn't want to mod the V6 because in the back of my mind, the GT was always the car I wanted. I just couldn't afford it at the time of purchase.

Window tints are a must. If you look at the pictures on my profile, I have 5% tints full car. Not exactly legal in NJ, but I'm in the military, have California plates, and am not obligated by law to switch my registration. I have gotten pulled over, but never gotten tickets.

I like the Matte black GT500 wheels that AM has. Black spoiler, black hood vents and black 5.0 badges in terms of personalization.

Naples -- What are your 1/4 mile times with your current set up?

All -- Thank you for taking time out of your day to help a fellow Mustang owner learn more about the car that he drives and be able to make an informed decision about modifying an already phenomenal ride. I truly appreciate it.
aminus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Converter, tire, and a good tune. Mid 11's all day. Trust me.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tune it, upgrade suspension, no CAI

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
11socal50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT