BBK vs. Airaid CAI for 2010 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
BBK vs. Airaid CAI for 2010 GT

What experience have you all had with either of these CAI's? They both look like they've had similar reviews and would both be sufficient. I am purchasing a Bama tuner from a friend in the near future so tuning shouldn't be an issue!
mustangman5345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would skip the CAI

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
11socal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
From most what I have gathered on this forum and others is you don't want to waste your time with a CAI unless you are running long tubes...There are videos on youtube showing dyno results of CAI's and the factory air box makes more power on a stock car with a tune. However, if you are running long tube headers there are vids showing up to 15hp gains with the right CAI.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman5345 View Post
What experience have you all had with either of these CAI's? They both look like they've had similar reviews and would both be sufficient. I am purchasing a Bama tuner from a friend in the near future so tuning shouldn't be an issue!
Hey,

You are looking at two quality intakes, and either one will do you quite well.

Given that you already have a tuner I would go with the Airaid race intake. This intake actually requires a tune to operate, where as the BBK does not. The Airaid requires a tuning due to the fact that it is bringing in so much extra air than the factory air box, and it is beyond the acceptable range of the mass air meter. Thus, the mass air meter has to be recalibrated (tuned) to accept the wider range of air coming into the engine. If you are looking for power this is good thing as more air entering the engine usually results in more power gains.

The BBK intake is quality, and will certainly be more beneficial than the factory intake, however not quite as beneficial as the Airaid Race intake. Beyond the horsepower gains, the Airaid is also a couple dollars cheaper which never hurts. Unless you really prefer the look of the BBK, or live in California and need your intake to be CARB approved, I would stick with the Airaid.

Either way you go, keep in mind we offer our forum members a 6% discount off their entire order. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please let me know, or contact our customer service team listed below my signature. Good luck!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
That's right Dan, keep pushing parts on poor unsuspecting guys. It's always about the sale right?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
That's right Dan, keep pushing parts on poor unsuspecting guys. It's always about the sale right?
Absolutely not. We're not here to make a sale. We're here to help every single customer that has a question, needs some assistance and just to chat Mustangs. We're all Mustang guys just like you!

The OP asked a question regarding both of the intakes he was interested in. I provided him with advice, feedback and my personal experience. I honestly love the Airaid CAI on my 2011 GT! I'm sorry that I made you feel like we were after the sale, that was not my intentions. At the end of the day my goal is just to make sure you guys are all taken care of.

Hope this helps.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I truly appreciate all of y'all's inputs.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Absolutely not. We're not here to make a sale. We're here to help every single customer that has a question, needs some assistance and just to chat Mustangs. We're all Mustang guys just like you!

The OP asked a question regarding both of the intakes he was interested in. I provided him with advice, feedback and my personal experience. I honestly love the Airaid CAI on my 2011 GT! I'm sorry that I made you feel like we were after the sale, that was not my intentions. At the end of the day my goal is just to make sure you guys are all taken care of.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

+1 if it were not for AM this forum would not be worth joining. We ask for help and they provide solutions. Thanks AM and all the helpful mustang fans on this forum! Kumbaya my lord...LOL
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the jlt cai and I like it, but out of those two definitely the Airaid. You can find graphs that show both ways, some show gains over the stock box, others show no gains. I like the way my car runs with mine, and I love the way it looks 100x better then the stock box.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Man that was downright RUDE what you said.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post
I have the jlt cai and I like it, but out of those two definitely the Airaid. You can find graphs that show both ways, some show gains over the stock box, others show no gains. I like the way my car runs with mine, and I love the way it looks 100x better then the stock box.

I was thinking the same thing. I was also curious as to why there weren't any gains with some CAI's over the stock box? Sadly I don't have a coyote, so the aftermarket CAI might have a bigger impact on my car? Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you pickup the the May 2014 issue of 5.0 Magazine they address this very issue. The BBK CAI adds 20hp without a tune.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Even on a 4.6L? I'm the odd one out, I know. 😔
Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post

+11.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Even on a 4.6L? I'm the odd one out, I know. 😔
Im not sure about the 4.6 but I am sure you will gain some HP...If the 5.0 picks up 20hp, I am sure you will gain some needed hp.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Woah woah woah, hold the phone. The 10'+ GT's DID receive the new air intake that comes on the 11'+ 5.0's and 3.7's. In my opinion, it is NOT worth $300-$400 just for 5-10 max HP with the best CAI and best tune.

Just b/c we have the 4.6 does NOT mean a CAI will benefit us more. As displacement increases, gains usually increase as well (just a general rule of thumb). Coyote may pick up 20 hp we may pick up 10 hp (made up #'s btw).

The stock 10'+ air box is great already, spend that $300-$400 elsewhere. Otherwise, I've always thought the BBK intakes looked kinda wimpy, I feel like they make good products but CAI's aren't their thing.

@Vintage Iron, no offense to you man but I think you need to do more research.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
+11.
Grabber Blue 5.0 must be a competitor to AM, thats why he makes those rude *** comments.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Grabber Blue 5.0 must be a competitor to AM, thats why he makes those rude *** comments.
The AM guys are used to it. Sales guys always get sh*t from people.

Now I don't know Grabber Blue5.0 personally or even remotely, but most of his posts on these boards have been knowledgeable and helpful towards me. Maybe he has reasoning challenging AM?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Woah woah woah, hold the phone. The 10'+ GT's DID receive the new air intake that comes on the 11'+ 5.0's and 3.7's. In my opinion, it is NOT worth $300-$400 just for 5-10 max HP with the best CAI and best tune.

Just b/c we have the 4.6 does NOT mean a CAI will benefit us more. As displacement increases, gains usually increase as well (just a general rule of thumb). Coyote may pick up 20 hp we may pick up 10 hp (made up #'s btw).

The stock 10'+ air box is great already, spend that $300-$400 elsewhere. Otherwise, I've always thought the BBK intakes looked kinda wimpy, I feel like they make good products but CAI's aren't their thing.

Then what's after CAI? I've got a Roush catback exhaust kit, and I can't lower my car for another 2 years because of where I live (The road would tear up the bottom of my car like crazy), so... Ideas?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Now I don't know Grabber Blue5.0 personally or even remotely, but most of his posts on these boards have been knowledgeable and helpful towards me. Maybe he has reasoning challenging AM?

That may be so!.. But still doesn't give him the right to blatantly act like a total A** to some one!..
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Maybe, I dont know I just know that the article from May 2014 5.0 Magazine said in its actual testing of the BBK CAI. And I dont think 5.0 would make up any #'s....
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you can challenge AM or any other sellers but you dont have to be a *** about it...
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

..... ............ ......... .

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

An aftermarket tune for sure man! Us 4.6 guys may not be as fast as the 5.0's, but our 4.6 definitely has potential. An aftermarket tune really wakes it up.

At first, after being in a 5.0 I thought the 4.6 was so slow and had plans for a supercharger. Well, I tried out Steeda's tune and now I feel like 300+ HP and TQ is definitely more than enough to have fun on the street. At this point, I've decided to keep my motor stock just because I'm already satisfied with what the tune did.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe, I dont know I just know that the article from May 2014 5.0 Magazine said in its actual testing of the BBK CAI. And I dont think 5.0 would make up any #'s....
You've got a point but who knows, ik aftermarket CAI's respond better on 5.0's but on the 4.6 with the new air box, I think is nothing to spend $400 on.

For example; the Steeda CAI+tune combo which I found to offer the largest gains (44 hp and 52 tq) on the 5.0... (11-12 that is, a Steeda rep actually admitted those gains are lesser on the 13-14 due to Ford's 412 to 420 hp increase from the factory).

The Steeda CAI+tune combo for the 2010 GT only offers 25 hp and 25 tq. I tell you what a tune alone can probably offer 20 hp and 20 tq, leaving the $400 CAI only providing 5 hp and tq max. Not worth it
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An aftermarket tune for sure man! Us 4.6 guys may not be as fast as the 5.0's, but our 4.6 definitely has potential. An aftermarket tune really wakes it up.

At first, after being in a 5.0 I thought the 4.6 was so slow and had plans for a supercharger. Well, I tried out Steeda's tune and now I feel like 300+ HP and TQ is definitely more than enough to have fun on the street. At this point, I've decided to keep my motor stock just because I'm already satisfied with what the tune did.
I always LOVED my 4.6 in my 2007 GT, they arent as slow as people make them out to be....
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The three valves aren't bad at all, I think the 4.6's started out bad in '96 and have always had an uphill battle. There are some really fast ones out there though.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post
The three valves aren't bad at all, I think the 4.6's started out bad in '96 and have always had an uphill battle. There are some really fast ones out there though.

Yep people were always down on the 4.6's. That's Ford's fault but mine was a good motor, easy to work on, reliable as hell and never lost to a Z28 or Camaro SS (not new ss).
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Rap, speak up... I wanna hear what all of those dots translate to into words
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i was just reading through the thread that was all.

Now the never lost to a z28 or SS....ls1 Im Asumming.... With a NA 4.6?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I love my Airraid CAI however I don't have a 4.6. Got it from AM, my go to parts business.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

JLT is all I use.

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

From the back when i had my cobra to Now

Old 03-14-2014, 03:48 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda and JLT are my favorites.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Someone had to say it.
Quote:
If you pickup the the May 2014 issue of 5.0 Magazine they address this very issue. The BBK CAI adds 20hp without a tune.
Yet another victim falling to the marketing people.
Quote:
I don't sell parts. I'm just here to set things right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
That may be so!.. But still doesn't give him the right to blatantly act like a total A** to some one!..
Again someone had to call them out. I'm just the only one with the balls to do it.
Quote:
I think you can challenge AM or any other sellers but you dont have to be a *** about it...
Well actually my response had no profanity while yours........
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Someone had to say it.

Yet another victim falling to the marketing people.

I don't sell parts. I'm just here to set things right.

Again someone had to call them out. I'm just the only one with the balls to do it.

Well actually my response had no profanity while yours........

Being an A** to someone doesn't mean you have Balls!.. Just means your an A** and nothing more!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
cai

« BBR | Trufiber? »