Intake? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Intake?

I've got a 2011 5.0 and im wanting to know what y'all think the best intake is and for a decent price? And if y'all know of anybody trying to get rid of one I'd like to know. Thanks
tug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Your car came with a CAI. You will not improve on it.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Yeah I didn't know it I would get anything more out of a aftermarket or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. Just get a GOOD tune.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

Well do u think I should Dino or get a hand held? I know the Dino is goin to cost more... I hope there no stupid questions on here... Still new and learning as I go....
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #6

Most "cold air intakes" sold aftermarket just add a little sound and lot of show. No real horsepower gains come from adding JUST a CAI. A good tune will be money better spent. I agree with the above ^^
Crimson_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno tunes are a thing of the past. A good tune on a SCT handheld is the way to go.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Boss 302 intake and a cai and bama tuner should run you about 1200$ that's what I have and it's well worth it for the price
5pointOHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Meh on the CAI...ya don't need it. Get a CJ intake and a good tune if you want to start upgrading your engine.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointOHHH View Post
Boss 302 intake and a cai and bama tuner should run you about 1200$ that's what I have and it's well worth it for the price

Just my opinion, but to the op regarding the 302 intake and CAI, you may actually get better track times with the stock manifold and air box. The 302 manifold produces power in the higher rpm ranges hence why it is on the actually boss because it can rev higher safely as opposed to the normal 5.0. And since 90 percent of the time in a 5.0 you probably won't be at the high enough rpm range to see benefits and you might actually lose some low end. In regards to the CAI because it is open unlike the stock air box your engine will actually take in more hot air from the engine bay then the stock air box would. Not saying that they don't look super sexy when paired together, or you may see gains, however it may not be worth it to most. Just putting this info out there.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Your car came with a CAI. You will not improve on it.
May want to check this out.

2011 GT JLT CAI Dyno Results vs. K&N Filter - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Using a 93 oct tune, he gained about 15 hp with the cai.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post

2011 GT JLT CAI Dyno Results vs. K&N Filter - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Yes well it looks like he has a full aftermarket exhaust setup which in conjunction with a CAI will usually provide gains, however it says gained 15 hp as in comparison with the K&N air filter. It has been shown that the K&N filter has actually caused 2-3 Hp losses... Also, it doesn't say if the dyno was hood up or hood down, or inside or outside. This will make a difference and this is how companies can make the claims about gains. With the hood up the intake will suck in pure cold air since it is open and there is no hood blocking airflow. Usually your car will be outside with the hood down unless you just like to roll with the hood up... I see where your going with this and I'm not trying to be a d*ck, just trying to break common misconceptions.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The debate has become like global warming LOL. Everyone just spews out what they have heard so it takes a life of its own. You WILL have some gains when you create a less obstructive intake. We love the JLT cold air intake. Looks great, sounds great and works great. Find one on craigslist, ebay or one of the many forum Buy/Sell areas and save some $.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I got a good used Steeda CAI for $200

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Yes well it looks like he has a full aftermarket exhaust setup which in conjunction with a CAI will usually provide gains, however it says gained 15 hp as in comparison with the K&N air filter. It has been shown that the K&N filter has actually caused 2-3 Hp losses... Also, it doesn't say if the dyno was hood up or hood down, or inside or outside. This will make a difference and this is how companies can make the claims about gains. With the hood up the intake will suck in pure cold air since it is open and there is no hood blocking airflow. Usually your car will be outside with the hood down unless you just like to roll with the hood up... I see where your going with this and I'm not trying to be a d*ck, just trying to break common misconceptions.
The opening in the grill for the airbox is more than enough air for the cai, the hood being open will not matter. Not to mention its not airtight like the stock box. Why do we know this? Because thats all the stock box has to work with, and it flows fairly well.

This test shows two cars with matching mods, the only difference being the cai, and it had a moderate increase in hp. Lets say your right about the k&n filter, thats still 12-13 hp for $300. Thats not bad, and it greatly improves the looks of the engine bay imo.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post

With the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it? Sorry but that's where everyone falls victim to these tests. Back to back testing at the track has shown zero gain.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Back to back testing at the track has shown zero gain
LOL, yeah, throw a "DRIVER MOD" into the equation, c'mon Scott that brings in so many variables.
There is just as many good tests out there by INDIVIDUALS that show a modest gain in HP with the addition of a CAI. The stock box is fine and is a decent CAI, however, if you bench test the two, flow is significantly better with a 4" CAI tube and filter that has a larger surface area than the smaller tube with smaller paper filter.
Personally, I like the sound a LOT better. We spend a lot of money on changing the sound of cars and this is a relatively good way to get a better sound from the engine bay. $200-300 for mild HP gain, better sound and better looks.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 03-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The debate continues. I still go with the Ford engineers on this one; the stock air box flows great, and unless you are purchasing a tune, larger throttle body and perhaps exhaust, the money spent on a CAI alone will not net you much for the money (unless looks and sound are what you are also after).

JMoney makes an excellent point. The Boss 302 intake makes more power in the upper RPM range. You'd add this only if you are looking to run the 5.0 in that range. I have to admit though, it's a great looking intake in the engine compartment of a 5.0, but if it's performance in the lower range, then its not the best choice.

If every ounce of performance is what you are after, then a CAI with a tuner/tune is going to bein your list of mods.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
LOL, yeah, throw a "DRIVER MOD" into the equation, c'mon Scott that brings in so many variables.
There is just as many good tests out there by INDIVIDUALS that show a modest gain in HP with the addition of a CAI.
With an auto you eliminate the driver mod for the most part.

The only tests out there are with the hood open and a huge fan blowing on it. Not exactly real world testing now is it? And the testing is from the manufacturers of said intake so the numbers are easily "skewed".
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Grabber Blue5.0;1968622]
Quote:
There is just as many good tests out there by INDIVIDUALS that show a modest gain in HP with the addition of a CAI. /QUOTE]

With an auto you eliminate the driver mod for the most part.

The only tests out there are with the hood open and a huge fan blowing on it. Not exactly real world testing now is it? And the testing is from the manufacturers of said intake so the numbers are easily "skewed".
The link I posted was from an individual, not a manufacturer. It doesn't matter if the hood is up, down, or sideways. Its not airtight by anymeans, plenty of space for air to come in.

Theres a reason you need a tune with most cai's, its sucking in more air than the maf can handle. And what happens when you get more air? The engine makes more power.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Theres a reason you need a tune with most cai's, its sucking in more air than the maf can handle. And what happens when you get more air? The engine makes more power.
Exactly

"Huge fan blowing on it" is for cooling the motor & air, not allowing it to "breath" flow better. Huge fan would benefit BOTH stock box and CAI. Cooler temps cooler air = more HP

A good test that would be pretty simple would be to compare inlet air temps on a stock box in normal highway driving vs inlet air temps on a CAI in the same driving conditions. Another variable along with flow for HP gains
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Rather than buying a CAI...spend the same $$ for an offroad X or H pipe. That should net 12-15 true rwhp for the same money. Combined with a good tune it should total 40-45 rwhp. You will feel that in your butt dyno...👍
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The reason most CAI require a tune because the MAF is bigger than stock. Has nothing to do with airflow.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Coyote_5.0;1968630]
Quote:

The link I posted was from an individual, not a manufacturer. It doesn't matter if the hood is up, down, or sideways. Its not airtight by anymeans, plenty of space for air to come in.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
That link is almost four years old. Plus the numbers were in standard not SAE. BIG difference.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The reason most CAI require a tune because the MAF is bigger than stock. Has nothing to do with airflow.
LOL what? The MAF is bigger?
Do you understand fluid mechanics? There is a reason our cars have mass flow sensors instead of volumetric sensors.
Density, temperature and flow are calculated from readings from the MAF sensor so it can determine the quantity of intake air in each piston stroke.You need a tune, because the density, pressure and volume as well as temperature changes with the addition of the larger tube type CAI.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Intake?

Agree with Ravnus get an off road x or h and get actual gains.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Agree with Ravnus get an off road x or h and get actual gains.
For what its worth I went with off road H pipe for two reasons. Sound I like better, and from all the research i did the H is better in lower RPM range where the X is better in higher RPM. Sound was main thing for the H but as a DD I usually don't hit the 5,000+ RPM range (unless having some stop light fun, lol). regardless they really are pretty similar so listen to some sound clips to decide.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes but the engine can only take in so much air, which the stock air box can do. Also the hood makes a huge difference the CAI is open on the top and with no sheet of metal blocking any airflow that thing will make a lot more power than it would if it was blocked off by a sheet of metal (hood).
You are barking out the side of your neck. The engine's air intake is limited through its restrictions. (I can list them if you would like) Your hood theory is ridicules. Do you really think that there is a "seal" of the hood to the top of the CAI that would restrict flow? Really? The hood being up or down during dyno pulls has more to do with engine and inlet air temps, NOT AIRFLOW.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Intake?

Quote:
You are barking out the side of your neck. The engine's air intake is limited through its restrictions. (I can list them if you would like) Your hood theory is ridicules. Do you really think that there is a "seal" of the hood to the top of the CAI that would restrict flow? Really? The hood being up or down during dyno pulls has more to do with engine and inlet air temps, NOT AIRFLOW.

With a CAI there is no cover covering the filter right? Now I also believe that most hoods are solid metal and don't allow air through right? Last time I checked air can't go through a hood, so what would make more power an air filter with no obstacles in the way or an air filter blocked off by a hood? Now inlet air temps , with the CAI being open wouldn't that also bring in the warm air in the engine bay or does it magically bring in cold air through the hood? Sure it can get through around the sides of the hood but how much air is that?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Intake?

I only went with an intake for cosmetics and sound. Do yourself a favor and get one with a completely sealed box. My inlet temps never waiver more than 2 degrees higher than outside temperature even at idle.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Since darker colors supposedly absorb more heat, do white 5.0's make more power in the summer time than black ones?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now I also believe
There is your problem. I am not going to argue this any more LOL. Your solid metal hood theory and flow

Quote:
Since darker colors supposedly absorb more heat, do white 5.0's make more power in the summer time than black ones?
Only if you have a big *** white fan blowing air over silver streamers at it
Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Uh....have you ever seen a cai. You use the same maf. The bigger cai allows more air and thus has to be adjusted. The more power the car makes the more gains you will see with a cai. If you do a tune and o/r midpipe, you can easily get 15hp from a cai. And it doesnt matter if the dyno test is 4 yrs old. 15 hp is 15hp.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Deerslayer;1968726

Only if you have a big *** white fan blowing air over silver streamers at it[/QUOTE]

Do they have High performance streamers? I'd like to upgrade them if possible.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Of course they make them. I prefer the chrome Mylar ones. Make sure you secure them with 200mph tape. Don't be fooled by those cheap Chinese ones you see flapping in the air conditioner stores.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT