How do you shift on sport mode on a 2013 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

How do you shift on sport mode on a 2013 gt

When do you press the + button and when do you press the - button.

I know that if you don't press the + button on time the gauge color will turn RED!
dannyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Press the + when u wanna shift to the next gear. Press the - when u wanna shift down a gear.
Are u talking about Driving normal or Racing?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv8 View Post
When do you press the + button and when do you press the - button.

I know that if you don't press the + button on time the gauge color will turn RED!

Wow. Just. Wow.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Okay why don't you just keep it in D for now, brother.

+ = up shift (shift up when your RPMs begin to rise and you pick up speed)
- = down shift (shift down when your RPMs are low and you are slowing down)

DO NOT let the tachometer needle hit the red section of the gauge. This is called redline, and you are very close to over-revving the engine.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

It sounds like you may need to add some blinker fluid to the export drive. Twice per day until the bottle is empty and seek emergency attention.
Crimson_RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
uummm... not trying to be derogatory but this falls under the if you have to ask you shouldn't ask. I would just drive it in D. have you ever driven a stick? Works like that except easier.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
You buy a car with a clutch pedal.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Okay why don't you just keep it in D for now, brother.

+ = up shift (shift up when your RPMs begin to rise and you pick up speed)
- = down shift (shift down when your RPMs are low and you are slowing down)

DO NOT let the tachometer needle hit the red section of the gauge. This is called redline, and you are very close to over-revving the engine.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

This thread truly makes me wonder about people sometimes.....lol
Old 03-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
E= MC2. I'd really be careful with a new pony.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
E= MC2. I'd really be careful with a new pony.

That is what I'm doing..being careful...any one know when is the perfect time to shift up+! I think a little before the redline
Old 03-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Leave the guy alone. He came here for help, not your judgment. Just my experience with Sport Mode. Leaving it in drive is the best option the majority of the time. You're going to have to play around with it to learn how to properly use Sport mode. Your best bet is to have someone that you know who can drive a stick (and is good at it) sit you down and show you when to shift. The only time I ever use sport mode is to practice with on a track, or if I am on the interstate driving and I want to down shift to get through traffic easier. Anyway, enjoy the car.
aminus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It will all depend on what driving you are doing. Daily and worried about gas mileage or racing. If you are racing, I have a manual so not sure if they differ greatly, I see a lull hit around 6,400 and **** near there. For daily driving I usually shift at 2,800 for gas mileage... unless the green light hits my fancy lol.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Naples, I have an auto and I shift about the same as you when I use my sport mode. Sport Mode turns the auto into a manual without a clutch. Just be careful not to hit the button twice, I did that a few times on accident when learning how to use the system. It's kind of embarrassing to skip a gear while driving an auto, but lucky for me no one was around to laugh at me. But, I figured it out and I don't make that mistake any more.

I would shift at 6400 but you have room to play. Feel out the car and try to time it where you're in the higher gear right before the red line. It takes practice, but it'll be easier you have someone you knew who can drive a stick sit when you and offer their advice in person.
aminus212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv8 View Post
That is what I'm doing..being careful...any one know when is the perfect time to shift up+! I think a little before the redline

Daily driving doesn't call for that. But, then again, daily driving doesn't call for the car to be put into sport mode. But in track situations, shifting just beyond 6K will be a good spot. Peak torque doesn't come at redline in our cars (both the 6 and 8), though it might seem logical. Basically you just want to shift somewhere in the higher end of the torque band so when you shift, you're still within the band, not down below it. Though I have heard of some auto owners getting equal or even better times in D on the strip as opposed to Sport or SelectShift.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I thought the plus and minus sign turned up and down the volume on the radio?
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Or does it control the heated seats?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I thought the plus and minus sign turned up and down the volume on the radio?

Don't worry, we're gonna work this out together. Here's what you need to do.

1. Depress foot on brake pedal.
2. Shift into park.
3. Remove the key from the ignition.
4. Lock car.
5. Throw key down sink drain.
6. Activate garbage disposal.

😂😂😂
Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
Road Trip!

I don't need help with sport mode. I drive a manual. I was just making fun it. Good try though.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I don't need help with sport mode. I drive a manual. I was just making fun it. Good try though.

Yeah...I was just joshing ya.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
These guys are ******** don't listen to them... wait until it hits that red line count to 5 then hit -
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So how do u guys with the auto sport Shift like hitting the button on the side of the shifter. Does it take some getting use to since that's the only car I actually seen with it right there.
The way y'all explained it, it doesn't downshift or up shift by itself when you slow down or speed up in the sport mode. For example if u have it in sport and forget and pull of from the light it doesn't up shift for u automatically anyway.
Do you like it on the shifter or the common way on the shifter gate or would u rather have the paddle shifter on the wheel, just curious I may plan on buying a newer 1 in the future.
comporange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #23
Road Trip!

It does shift for you. When you go below a certain rpm it takes it back down to 1st.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by comporange View Post
So how do u guys with the auto sport Shift like hitting the button on the side of the shifter. Does it take some getting use to since that's the only car I actually seen with it right there. The way y'all explained it, it doesn't downshift or up shift by itself when you slow down or speed up in the sport mode. For example if u have it in sport and forget and pull of from the light it doesn't up shift for u automatically anyway. Do you like it on the shifter or the common way on the shifter gate or would u rather have the paddle shifter on the wheel, just curious I may plan on buying a newer 1 in the future.
If u put it in sport & don't touch the +/- it shift more aggressively by it's self..if u touch the +/- then I have to shod it urself..it'll down shift of u slowdown & don't downshift but it won't up shift for u! It's ok it's kind of fun but it had a lot of lag IMO!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
So how do u guys with the auto sport Shift like hitting the button on the side of the shifter. Does it take some getting use to since that's the only car I actually seen with it right there.
The way y'all explained it, it doesn't downshift or up shift by itself when you slow down or speed up in the sport mode. For example if u have it in sport and forget and pull of from the light it doesn't up shift for u automatically anyway.
Do you like it on the shifter or the common way on the shifter gate or would u rather have the paddle shifter on the wheel, just curious I may plan on buying a newer 1 in the future.

This guy is the one being a jerk. Everyone knows that you only hold it for 5 seconds if your car is tuned and the rev limiter has been taken off. Otherwise you're SOL.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's an okay design. I'd much rather have paddle shifters. Sometimes it's just easier to have both hands on the wheel rather than fishing around for a jelly bean sized button. lol
Old 03-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
If u put it in sport & don't touch the +/- it shift more aggressively by it's self..if u touch the +/- then I have to shod it urself..it'll down shift of u slowdown & don't downshift but it won't up shift for u! It's ok it's kind of fun but it had a lot of lag IMO!

Really lol I would have to drive 1 and use the button to see how I would like it but I guess once your use to it, it's not an issue
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
It's an okay design. I'd much rather have paddle shifters. Sometimes it's just easier to have both hands on the wheel rather than fishing around for a jelly bean sized button. lol

That wat I thought I drove a Camaro with the paddle shifters it just seem to be easier in reach since your hand are already on the wheel. I kno when I drove my friend Beamer it shifts both ways on either or paddle. Like I mentioned the post above I would have to actually try it to see how it feels. I read a cars.com review they said they weren't to excited over it
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really lol I would have to drive 1 and use the button to see how I would like it but I guess once your use to it, it's not an issue
Yea test drive one! Best way to find out if u like it!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I hate hitting the buttons. On other cars I have driven with select shift you move the shifter down and to the left to get manual and then you actually move the shifter up and down to change the gears. That was a little more fun and seemed to flow better for me coming from a manual. I think the the paddle shifters are better as well.

Quote:
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT