Factory Paint Quality - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Factory Paint Quality

I've got a 2012 Kona blue GT. it gets washed 1-3X per week. I wax it like every 3-4 months. At 19,000 miles and with the care I take to part far away from other cars and maintenance of the finish, I'm not really impressed by how the factory paint so easily scratches and how thin the paint is.
I don't want to start considering a re-spray only 2 years old but I hate scratches and mine is full of little tiny scratches!
Anybody else have an observation about their factory paint quality?
I'm restoring a 68 Olds Delmont 455 vert and am about to paint it, I might have to do the same with the 5.0...
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have had my 2014 for going on 7 months. No such problems on my end with sterling gray. Though my black spoiler will produce scratches even if you look at it wrong... Lol washing 3 times a week seems like a lot but that doesn't necessarily mean it should scratch. What are you washing with? Drying too?
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Your problem is you wash it 3 times a week. If you washed it once every 2 weeks it would look way better. Also...you need to be waxing your car whenever it stops sheeting water. Which is like every 2 weeks with a synthetic wax, and every month or two with a carnauba wax. The wax helps protect against scratching from the washes.

I have a black car and no matter what I do, it gets all scratched up. Silver is the best color to have...it masks everything so well.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Your problem is you wash it 3 times a week. If you washed it once every 2 weeks it would look way better. Also...you need to be waxing your car whenever it stops sheeting water. Which is like every 2 weeks with a synthetic wax, and every month or two with a carnauba wax. The wax helps protect against scratching from the washes.

I have a black car and no matter what I do, it gets all scratched up. Silver is the best color to have...it masks everything so well.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
I've got a 2012 Kona blue GT. it gets washed 1-3X per week. I wax it like every 3-4 months. At 19,000 miles and with the care I take to part far away from other cars and maintenance of the finish, I'm not really impressed by how the factory paint so easily scratches and how thin the paint is.
I don't want to start considering a re-spray only 2 years old but I hate scratches and mine is full of little tiny scratches!
Anybody else have an observation about their factory paint quality?
I'm restoring a 68 Olds Delmont 455 vert and am about to paint it, I might have to do the same with the 5.0...

1) describe how you wash it.

2) what do you use to dry it with

3) what do you use to detail it with

4) what do you use to polish/wax with

Any towels/microfibers that have EVER seen the ground... Toss.

Same for wax applicators and buffing/polishing pads.

Do you use drive through washes? do you use the same sponge that has ever touched the ground? Do you use a two bucket method? Do you thoroughly (with some water pressure) pre-rinse before soap and sponge?

See a pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

It doesnt matter how many times you wash it.....its how and what you use to wash it. It comes down to proper equipment,proper soap and proper method. That also goes for drying. If my car got dirty everyday I would wash It everyday. Thats what keeps your paint looking good. Washing your car every 2 weeks and letting the acids from bugs and other things stain your paint is a big no no.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Road Trip!

That's my whole point. He clearly doesn't wash his car correctly, so washing it less frequently would be ideal if he continues to not wash it correctly. I have no choice but to use a hand car wash here in miami, and they did a great job on my red gt, but my black one shows every little swirl mark no matter how careful they are.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Fellas, OK I appreciate the input here and I don't want to sound defensive but let me tell you, OK, I have owned over 40 cars, I have restored many of those, I weld, do body work, paint my own projects, and mechanically maintain all my own stuff. I am an engineer by trade, and I am not some young kid who doesn't know how to wash or wax my car. I've fixed paint by wet sanding, compounding, touching up and blending, etc. Now I appreciate you are just trying to help, so please don't take what I just said as a reply like you were attacking me, it's all good! But my issue is, comparing the factory Ford paint on my 12 GT to other cars I've owned, to other cars I've painted, etc, the paint on this Ford is thin, and scratches really easily.
I use a two bucket method, I pre-wash with just water pressure, I never ever use a car wash, I always use my gas powered blower to dry it off with, but the scratches I find are almost all from like sand or bugs off the roadway. I never drive on dirt roads but just sand off the roadway at highway speed seems to be able to scratch the paint.
Maybe I am more critical than most folks, I've continuously been spot touching up the paint.
I'm all for a further discussion about the proper methods for washing, waxing, and maintaining paint. What nhcowboy is eluding to is all stuff that is part of an excellent practice for maintaining your finish, thanks!
I'd like to know if, from your experience, does the paint on your car seem thin and does it seem to scratch easily?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Factory Paint Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konawin View Post
Fellas, OK I appreciate the input here and I don't want to sound defensive but let me tell you, OK, I have owned over 40 cars, I have restored many of those, I weld, do body work, paint my own projects, and mechanically maintain all my own stuff. I am an engineer by trade, and I am not some young kid who doesn't know how to wash or wax my car. I've fixed paint by wet sanding, compounding, touching up and blending, etc. Now I appreciate you are just trying to help, so please don't take what I just said as a reply like you were attacking me, it's all good! But my issue is, comparing the factory Ford paint on my 12 GT to other cars I've owned, to other cars I've painted, etc, the paint on this Ford is thin, and scratches really easily.
I use a two bucket method, I pre-wash with just water pressure, I never ever use a car wash, I always use my gas powered blower to dry it off with, but the scratches I find are almost all from like sand or bugs off the roadway. I never drive on dirt roads but just sand off the roadway at highway speed seems to be able to scratch the paint.
Maybe I am more critical than most folks, I've continuously been spot touching up the paint.
I'm all for a further discussion about the proper methods for washing, waxing, and maintaining paint. What nhcowboy is eluding to is all stuff that is part of an excellent practice for maintaining your finish, thanks!
I'd like to know if, from your experience, does the paint on your car seem thin and does it seem to scratch easily?

I've never gone through the clear and I clay, compound, polish, wax often (as often as once a month at some points), washing weekly during summers... Winter going months without anything. Bought the 2011 new. And we all know black is a b*tch. Right now, do I have small surface scratches... Yes.

But not through the clear... And because I didn't follow my own advise in the winter. At some point, I couldn't really wash her so I used detail spray with a MF. But obviously that had dirt on it.

I've gone through this cycle, and a little work with ultimate compound, then polish eliminates those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The factory paint is the thinnest possible that can be applied to cover the vehicle. Remember, to ford this is just a product, no different than any other manufacturer. Cheapest possible production to maximize profit. That being said, when I bought my 11 GT in April 2010, after having it for 2 weeks, I took it and had the stripes painted on. To blend the stripes so there was no "line feel", the painter had to respray all panels with new GB paint because the factory paint is so thin. He went ahead and did the entire car at that time at no extra cost. Good to have friends right?
All that said, the thicker the paint layer, the more scratch resistant the finish. It also gives more room for buffing out imperfections.
tbonz2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Maybe you should look into a ceramic clear coat. I have Opti Coat on my entire car. 3x harder than factory clear. Perm coating, only comes off via rotary buffer. Works better than any wax/sealant when it comes down to UV protection, beading, sheeting, shedding debris, etc.

In the last 6 months I've probably only scratched it 5 times and that's only from casual washing since I don't have to be meticulous and try not scratch. As far as people touching/leaning on my car I don't even worry or think twice ab it anymore.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Hmmm. Interesting. You don't give Ford quite enough credit, though. Before my Mustang, I had a Honda with defective paint that actually flaked off. You could scratch it off with your fingernail. Then, when I was looking for a new car, I looked at Hyundais (Veloster Turbo & Genesis Coupe). The paint on those cars seemed strikingly lower quality than Ford's paint. I saw scratches on their brand new cars in the lot!

Although, it's good to hear I'm not alone. I did the exact same thing, couldn't follow my own advice and used a quick detailing spray with a MF cloth on my black spoiler. The clear is scratched pretty bad. At one spot you can see an actual circular series of scratches where I used the cloth. It's a real bummer. Either the gray body hides scratches well or I haven't done the same to it yet.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ford uses a great quality paint. Even government motors has had multiple issues with paint quality that Ford has not. I was saying that they use a very thin coat. Now that painting cars is automated and sprayed by robot, they can spray a thinner even coat that is not affected by human error e.g. Heavy spray, overlap etc. It's great for my stock, not so great for my stock paint lol.
tbonz2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I like the ceramic clear coat idea, I will explore that.
I'm going to do a touch up paint, compound, polish this weekend to see if I can work out some of the small stuff. I know I'm hyper critical and I admit the paint could be much worse.
I have painted many of my own cars in the past and I love the look of a fresh-perfect paint job. The last car I painted was my 1980 Porsche 911SC. I painted it Chevrolet metallic charcoal, because I liked the color. Little did I know, Porsche purists scoffed at me during the sale because I did not use an "original" color.
If I re-paint my Kona blue GT I found a House of Color Blue that'd be awesome.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

Region: Hawaii
I have a 2000 Honda Accord which I use as a daily driver. Compared to that, I am appalled at the cheapo paint job on my 2013 GT Premium. For one thing, Ford skimped on paint in all those areas the sun don't shine. I can understand on the underbody, where my Race Red paint is so faint as to be a tint, but under the rear trunk lid too?

The Honda is painted as well on the outside as under the car, or behind the bumper. My nephew just bought a Nissan 370-Z, and the paint on his looks a lot deeper, with a thicker clear coat.

I can do my own auto refinishing, and one day, I will have to paint the Mustang properly, which will include colorsanding and rubbing it out for a finish as good as you see on the $300,000 Ferraris.

At least the Fords don't have as bad orange peel from the factory as the GMs. Most Mustangs I've seen have significant orange peel on one side of the car. I was lucky in that the orange peel on mine isn't bad at all, on both sides of the car. Paint coverage is generally OK on the exterior of my car; my only complaint is the skimping elsewhere.
Clevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
to comment on this, my 2013 mustang with less than 2k miles has more rock chips on it than my 09 civic i picked up with 30k miles on it. It's a good thing overall the mustang is a far better investment.
WHT_PNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Factory Paint Quality

I am very unhappy with the paint on my 14gt I bought it in august stays in the garage out of the weather and it has less than 4k on the odometer and I have had to touch up several places on it. Also has trash in the clear on the left quarter panel. Love my car but very unhappy with the paint this is my 14th mustang and I have owned and I have owned mustangs for 20+ years and this is by far the worst paint on any that I have owned
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I bought mine used with almost 15k on it and I must say, the previous owner took very good car of it. Its the best paint I have ever seen. None of that orange peel look of all the new cars now. I think it must have been clay barred or whatever you do to remove the orange peel looking stuff. Since I have had it. I run it through the touchless car wash. I don't know much about proper car washing so this is how I do it. I also have never hand waxed it. I got it in December last year. Soon it will get a good waxing, but by a detail shop though. I think my car has a tri coat on it so it may be thicker since it is the gotta have it green. It has pearl, gold metal flake and then the green if I heard right. But no scratches for me that I have noticed.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT