Roush Axle Back Exhaust Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Roush Axle Back Exhaust Question

Hey, I have a 14' GT and have been wanting an axle back exhaust and already all but decided on the Roush setup, but wanted to hear it in person first. Yesterday, I entered my car in a Mustang show and found someone with a 5.0 who had the Roush. We talked and he offered to start it up so I could hear it. After hearing it I know it is the right exhaust for me, not obnoxious but a deeper rumble that lets you hear that V8 more. I have 2 questions will this void the warranty if I install myself and does the car have to be tuned to work with the new exhaust? I am not talking about something like a BAMA tune, just wondering if the dealer would need to tune to accomodate the new exhaust. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford302ize View Post
Hey, I have a 14' GT and have been wanting an axle back exhaust and already all but decided on the Roush setup, but wanted to hear it in person first. Yesterday, I entered my car in a Mustang show and found someone with a 5.0 who had the Roush. We talked and he offered to start it up so I could hear it. After hearing it I know it is the right exhaust for me, not obnoxious but a deeper rumble that lets you hear that V8 more. I have 2 questions will this void the warranty if I install myself and does the car have to be tuned to work with the new exhaust? I am not talking about something like a BAMA tune, just wondering if the dealer would need to tune to accomodate the new exhaust. Thanks.

Short answer, an axle-back will not void your warranty nor require a tune.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Short answer, an axle-back will not void your warranty nor require a tune.
Outstanding thanks for the answer. I did not think it would void the warranty or need a tune but wanted to be sure.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I had the Roush AB on my 2014 GT for about six months and recently took it off and put a GT500 AB on it. My car didn't require a tune to run this exhaust.

I loved the sound of the Roush but some days I felt it was too loud and it got on my nerves so I went with something quieter. I guess being 47 now has me wanting things a little quieter than when I was younger. It is a nice sounding system though.

Wayne
Old 03-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The only time they can void the warranty is if they prove the aftermarket part caused the failure. A muffler will never cause an engine failure so you're all good.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You wont need a tune and should not void your warranty unless it was a direct cause for the failure. I spoke to a dealership before I got mine and they told me it was especially good to go with Roush. A couple of dealerships her actually sell the roush intake and axleback setup.
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the answers. I will be ordering these within a week or two. Can't wait to put these on the stock exhaust sounds good at start up, but levels off after about 30 seconds. Another question can they be installed with the car on the ground or do I need to jack the rear up?????? I can jack it up but don't like crawling under a car supported by jack stands.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. I will be ordering these within a week or two. Can't wait to put these on the stock exhaust sounds good at start up, but levels off after about 30 seconds. Another question can they be installed with the car on the ground or do I need to jack the rear up?????? I can jack it up but don't like crawling under a car supported by jack stands.

Do you have a set of ramps? That's what I used. Very safe. If you don't have a set, but a set at Advance Auto or something. They are handy to have around, especially for oil changes on any of your vehicles.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Do you have a set of ramps? That's what I used. Very safe. If you don't have a set, but a set at Advance Auto or something. They are handy to have around, especially for oil changes on any of your vehicles.
I don't but I have thought about it. Only about $50.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You can do it with the car on the ground if you are not a real big person. I just installed my GT500 AB with it on the ground because I didn't have my ramps available at the time. When I installed the Roush system I did use the ramps.

Wayne
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't but I have thought about it. Only about $50.

Get them, you won't be sorry. If you have a car that is too low in front to get them under for oil changes and such, just put some wood in front of them to drive up onto first and then you should be able to get the car all the way up.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I will wait until the exhaust gets here. If it needs to be jacked up I will buy the ramps. The Rhinoramps at Autozone seem much sturdier than two jack stands.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have the 12,000 lb rhino ramps and have had them for quite a few years. I just used them the other day to change the oil for the first time on the Mustang. I like them a lot better than jacking the cars up and using jack stands.
Wayne
Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I have the 12,000 lb rhino ramps and have had them for quite a few years. I just used them the other day to change the oil for the first time on the Mustang. I like them a lot better than jacking the cars up and using jack stands.
Wayne

Those are the ones I have.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Installed mine with the car on the ground.
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I absolutely love my Roush AB... very simple to install!

Is anyone running an after market x or h pipe with their Roush AB?

Marty5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I will wait until the exhaust gets here. If it needs to be jacked up I will buy the ramps. The Rhinoramps at Autozone seem much sturdier than two jack stands.
Ramps and jack stands are great to have. I also suggest picking up a set to have available. You'll use them a lot more than you think!

That being said- jacking up the car is not require to install an axleback. You'll be able to install the Roush system with the Mustang on the ground- no problem. It's just a lot more convenient to have the extra space if the car is jacked up on stands or ramps.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty5.0 View Post
I absolutely love my Roush AB... very simple to install!

Is anyone running an after market x or h pipe with their Roush AB?
I have the BBR off road x-pipe with my Roush. There's a short video on my instagram Instagram

It's fairly tame at idle, but anything over 3k and everyone in a 1 block radius knows you're coming....it's perfect.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I also installed mine on flat ground, just read the instructions that comes with them and you will be fine!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I love my roush axle back..i also have the bbk off road cat delete and pypes x pipe ... she sounds nice... last exhaust mod I will be making is replacing the mid pipe with the one from the gt500 because it doesn't have the restrictive resonators .
MaggioM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

One more question are these axle backs street/emissions legal?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Yes.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely street legal and will pass emissions. its very conservative but also packs a great punch. I love my roush exhaust
Old 03-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I have the BBR off road x-pipe with my Roush. There's a short video on my instagram Instagram

It's fairly tame at idle, but anything over 3k and everyone in a 1 block radius knows you're coming....it's perfect.

Yeah sounds pretty sick... do you feel shes more responsive after the x? the clip where you crank up and set the car alarm off is pretty funny

Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah sounds pretty sick... do you feel shes more responsive after the x? the clip where you crank up and set the car alarm off is pretty funny

I have a very similar set up. X pipe into my roush axle back. The xpipe gives the car more of a Nascar sound and raspyness. Which is great. It losses any annoying drone. As far as performance is concerned, it wasn't a huge gain. But you do feel the car breathing better as you accelerate which is obviously a plus. On the highway it's great when you step on it it's amazing. You get what you pay for! I put alot of roush products on my car. You can always remember they know wtf they're doing.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I had the Roush AB on my 2014 GT for about six months and recently took it off and put a GT500 AB on it. My car didn't require a tune to run this exhaust.

I loved the sound of the Roush but some days I felt it was too loud and it got on my nerves so I went with something quieter. I guess being 47 now has me wanting things a little quieter than when I was younger. It is a nice sounding system though.

Wayne
This guy said it lol
I saw in your first post you said you did not want loud obnoxious exhaust... The roush exhaust fits that description extremely well lol
I've had my roush exhuast for awhile now and it is definitely loud and obnoxious. Most people go for the GT500 as it quieter and does not get rasp at higher RPMs. There is a poll around here somewhere on axle-back exhaust and the majority goes GT500 by a large margin.
dseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You should get jack stands to give you room to work. I have a 2014 gt and had a hard time taking off the front bolts which are right on top of the OEM muffler. Just remove the muffler from the hanger in the back to give it play and get the right tools( long metric wrenches that is). The roush go on easy once the stock ones are out. They are loud and if you add an o/r x pipe your neighbors will let you know...lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

If your only going to get stands or ramps to start, get the ramps first. You will probably get more use out of them to begin with, and for the muffler change, I would rather use the ramps.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
It's hard to say because I installed the BAMA 89 performance tune immediately after installing the x-pipe. Yes the car is much more peppy but I'm sure that's more attributed to the tune. Haha thanks. I love doing anything I can to piss off that neighbor. He always backs his truck into his parking spot, it has Yankees stickers all over it, and I hear him yelling at his kids through our wall every single day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggioM View Post
I have a very similar set up. X pipe into my roush axle back. The xpipe gives the car more of a Nascar sound and raspyness. Which is great. It losses any annoying drone. As far as performance is concerned, it wasn't a huge gain. But you do feel the car breathing better as you accelerate which is obviously a plus. On the highway it's great when you step on it it's amazing. You get what you pay for! I put alot of roush products on my car. You can always remember they know wtf they're doing.
IMO it really brings the Roush axle-back into it's own. I wasn't happy with the Roush by itself; to me it sounded very nasally. Installing an x-pipe without cats really gives the car some balls. I will purposely go 5 miles out of my way to go to one specific lengthy on-ramp for the highway 2 miles from my house simply because hearing the 5.0 romp up to 80mph is intoxicating.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Nice car brotha! Got the same thing but a 14! lol How do you like your Roush Axle backs??
dabishop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
It's hard to say because I installed the BAMA 89 performance tune immediately after installing the x-pipe. Yes the car is much more peppy but I'm sure that's more attributed to the tune. Haha thanks. I love doing anything I can to piss off that neighbor. He always backs his truck into his parking spot, it has Yankees stickers all over it, and I hear him yelling at his kids through our wall every single day.

IMO it really brings the Roush axle-back into it's own. I wasn't happy with the Roush by itself; to me it sounded very nasally. Installing an x-pipe without cats really gives the car some balls. I will purposely go 5 miles out of my way to go to one specific lengthy on-ramp for the highway 2 miles from my house simply because hearing the 5.0 romp up to 80mph is intoxicating.

Yeah I got a few spots here where I do the same thing getting on the hwy...

Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with the Borla S-Types. I can't wait to get them.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wayne
I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I love the sound but its a DD and sometimes its a bit loud in the morning when going to work. I noticed one of my neighbors commented on it in passing.

Where did you get those 500's?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

What did you guys do with your factory mufflers? Ive been holding on to mine for almost 2 yrs now and not sure what to do with them?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What did you guys do with your factory mufflers? Ive been holding on to mine for almost 2 yrs now and not sure what to do with them?
sitting on the shelf just in case, i want to take a long trip. its only a 10 min swap at this point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust