MT-82 blues - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
TSB doesn't mandate anyone to do anything for you. It's instructions and new procedures for workers, not a recall. Though I am a little surprised the dealer OP bought the car from wasn't a little more accommodating, given it might just be a cheap way to get you off their back.

I love the MT82, despite the issues I've had. The gearing is well-chosen for the Coyote and, once you figure out how it likes to be handled, it's pretty smooth and easy. Since Ford got its do-over on mine, it's lapped up full bore, slick-shod strip time like my cat going for the milk in my cereal. If it breaks somewhere down the line and I am out of pocket, I'll send it to Rev Auto to be built, that's how invested in it I am.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Once mine breaks, ( im sure once my new nitrous setup gets going it will ). I will be going auto

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
They say it's a fluid change and isn't covered past the 3/36000 warranty. It's a 2011 with 39000 on it.
So you don't have a factory 5 year/60,000 Power Train Warranty on top of the 3/36 bump to bump?
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
So you don't have a factory 5 year/60,000 Power Train Warranty on top of the 3/36 bump to bump?
Yes. But their not going to give you a fluid change under power train warranty at 39000 miles for a TSB. If it was a recall then miles wouldn't matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
TSB doesn't mandate anyone to do anything for you. It's instructions and new procedures for workers, not a recall.
Well, even with Gobmint Motors on my truck, if a TSB is covering a power train problem I am having while in my power train coverage, I can at least get them to fix it in 2 or 3 tries

I just am shocked the 2011 don't have a 5/60k Power Train then from Ford?
My last two Mustangs in the past 2 years did.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. But their not going to give you a fluid change under power train warranty at 39000 miles for a TSB. If it was a recall then miles wouldn't matter.
Are you having the problem? If not, then yes they wont do it. If you are and can prove it they should. If you are and cant prove it they should. My last item to myself is , I don't know for sure you said you where having the problem?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Are you having the problem? If not, then yes they wont do it. If you are and can prove it they should. If you are and cant prove it they should. My last item to myself is , I don't know for sure you said you where having the problem?
They won't do a fluid change under warranty after the 3/36 is up. Fluid Is considered a wear item.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
So, is the dealer supposed to pay for fluid changes while you are under warranty? I have only had one fluid change so far and they gave me the first one free (oil change), but I have to pay for the rest. It is not a ford dealer either, I bought used, my car has 18k on it.
Green5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
So, is the dealer supposed to pay for fluid changes while you are under warranty? I have only had one fluid change so far and they gave me the first one free (oil change), but I have to pay for the rest. It is not a ford dealer either, I bought used, my car has 18k on it.
No. But if there is a TSB out and you have the complaint described in the TSB most of the time they would cover it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I just talked to a Ford dealer yesterday and they said mine would be covered under warranty if their tech could see the issue happen first hand. Granted my car only has 10k miles on it. The only problem I'm worried about is I installed an MGW shifter and I don't think they're going to be happy about that...
JM7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM7225 View Post
I just talked to a Ford dealer yesterday and they said mine would be covered under warranty if their tech could see the issue happen first hand. Granted my car only has 10k miles on it. The only problem I'm worried about is I installed an MGW shifter and I don't think they're going to be happy about that...
They have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part installed caused the issue to deny warranty on that issue. Worst thing is u may have to install stock shifter and bring it back and bring it back int to see if issue is still there.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part installed caused the issue to deny warranty on that issue. Worst thing is u may have to install stock shifter and bring it back and bring it back int to see if issue is still there.
By the time that happens it may not be cold enough to have the issue anymore. Catch 22.

In my opinion if my car meets the requirements for build date and there is a TSB out for the transmission fluid, they should change it no questions asked. They recognize it's a problem and should be fixed. That's the point of the TSB, right?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM7225 View Post
By the time that happens it may not be cold enough to have the issue anymore. Catch 22.

In my opinion if my car meets the requirements for build date and there is a TSB out for the transmission fluid, they should change it no questions asked. They recognize it's a problem and should be fixed. That's the point of the TSB, right?

Thats how i feel about it.. A TSB means its a known problem, which means if its a complaint and the equiptment in question still has warranty on it, they should preform the TSB no questions asked. Even if it involves replacing a wear item.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm planning on taking mine in sometime over the next few days. The low is in the low 20's so it should be cold enough. Today the issue occured for me and it was 23 outside when driving to work.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

A TSB just means there's a new procedure. It is not implicit that there is a known problem. This kind of bulletin goes out all the time and it doesn't mean, "ground the fleet". It's a flow-chart kind of thing: If this, try this, chain of reasoning. In this case, if customer reports stiff cold shifting, try QDC in place of QS. Factory fill of QDC started in the middle of the 2012 model year. That's the purpose of the date, not to include but to exclude those that already have this stuff in the box.

You are still reliant upon the good graces of dealer level personnel here, in terms of getting it done on their dime or Ford's. They often don't get paid by Ford for this work, the way they do with recall work, and almost certainly won't if it falls outside of warranty.

As for "proving" stuff, the onus is not on the dealer here, much as we might like it to be. All the hassle falls upon the consumer, in the end. DO NOT go in asking for warranty service with ANY kind of aftermarket part on there, full stop. At the least, it will cause unnecessary delays and frustration; at worst they'll tell you to pound sand. I got questioned and delayed when my trans went out because it had an aftermarket shift knob on it, as stupid as that sounds.

I pull the related aftermarket parts at least, whenever I go in for something. Latest is the rear sway bar end links and a slightly leaky rear shock. I yanked my tubular rear LCAs before going in to try the dealer on for warranty work and no headaches, job done in a day.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

See its warming up here so the rough/notchy shifting becomes intermittent when it warms up. But the rattle still happens every time until the car warms up. Every dealership I speak to says there transmission tech is backed up at least a month and one said there’s was backed up with work from Christmas time. I spoke with the main Ford dealership in Alabama today and im brining it in this Friday for them to keep until next Friday. Service advisor says he can get the tech to look at it and drive it a few times but it would be a few months before a repair could be done if they could duplicate the issues.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Wow...and this is all MT-82 work or are you making an assumption? It does require some specialized talent to rebuild the MT82. It's got some specific tools and techniques over other manual boxes. Advise, if you can, to ride with the tech and demonstrate the issue.

I have a little light gear rattle in 1&2 post rebuild that only materializes if I lug the engine, which is pretty hard to do with a Procal tune and 3.73s. Not worth my time to be concerned about it, especially with what the box has survived since I got it fixed.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow...and this is all MT-82 work or are you making an assumption?
What are you asking here?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Advise, if you can, to ride with the tech and demonstrate the issue.
I did this, and the notchiness he said was normal. I dont understand this considering the 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th are always smooth. If this transmission was just a notchy shifting trans i would think it would be that way in every gear.

And the rattle that he heard 4 times and said it soulded like it was coming from the engine, he said he hever got it to do it again after i got out of the car. But then it all comes back when im in it.. Weird huh..
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are you asking here?
Is the back up of transmission work at the dealer all MT-82 work, or are you just assuming that it is?

How 'bout just changing the fluid out for Redline MT fluid, on your own? Keep the stock stuff, in case you still want to deal with this at dealer level later.

It's a 20 minute job if you have a jack and stands. You'll need a 5 buck pump gun from a local auto parts store.

Don't want to mess with it? Get a local quick lube to do it for you. A brief conversation could probably arrive at a solution there.

I'm just looking for solutions here. Getting hung up on a principle to the point where you are personally suffering isn't really worth it, in my view.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is the back up of transmission work at the dealer all MT-82 work, or are you just assuming that it is?
they are saying alot of it is Mustangs with this trans. I dont know how many "alot" is tho..
Old 03-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
they are saying alot of it is Mustangs with this trans. I dont know how many "alot" is tho..
I have not had on issue with mine. I the amsoil MTG made a big diff. Its thicker so when cold it takes a little bit. I abuse the **** out of my mt-82 also.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Now they will void your warranty with this fluid. So if your like me and do not give 2 *****s about your warranty goforit

Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

That's why you keep the stock stuff and put it back if you have a mechanical issue later. They won't necessarily "void your warranty" because of Amsoil but, they will likely ask a lot of questions you probably don't want to answer. Easier to not let them ask the Qs.

I do think solution here can be achieved by swapping juice. You've got one gear giving you some discomfort. It's certainly a modest, easy intervention that might just get you to a happy place.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Warranty is a load of bullcrap anyways

Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Regardless, I'm going to allow the dealer to drive my car in the morning when it's cold and experience the problem themselves. The MGW shifter has nothing to do with it, and if they make a big deal about it then yes Rapinator you're right, the warranty is useless anyways so I'll put the fluid in myself. I would like to try to have the dealer follow the TSB first because if there are other problems down the road with the transmission, it can be taken care of easier.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

What i have noticed about the M-82, yes its crap but i notice if i try shifting the gears at low RPMs it has a harder time finding the next gate that if I keep the RPM's up say 3500 to 4000 and above when shifting.

I think the design of the box and the syncros is such that it has a hard time matching the shafts unless you get it spinning good the syncros work better. Just an observation you may be able to make some minor adjustments in your driving see if it works.

One of my hobby's is rebuilding transmissions in my race car, (not the ford M-82) would like to get my hands on one to play with, Just not mine, lol.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I almost feel like no matter what I do it is inevitable that Ford is going to fiddle fart around and keep giving me the line of we can't duplicate the problem until my warranty runs out and then 4 doesn't care because its my problem. Maybe I should just install the Damned shifter and change the fluid out to redline , and replace the clutch pilot bearing and throw out bearing and just deal with it myself. I feel like Ford knows there's the issue and they don't want to spend any unnecessary money to fix it Because it's not a safety concern. So unless you have a catastrophic failure with your transmission they will just blow you off until warranty runs out.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Never give up, never give in. I had a good deal of pushback and it got real close to FU several times but, eventually I got to right person to see it my way in the dealer heirachy and the problems with proceeding went away.

I'm a union negotiatior and this was the hardest negotiating I've ever done.

I'd still change the fluid out though, just to see what it does.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I'm dropping mine off tomorrow night so it can sit at the dealer overnight so I don't have to drive it there on Friday morning. This way when the tech starts the car it has been out overnight and will be perfectly cold. The low is 17 degrees so the 1 to 2 shift should grind like it has the last 3 days. I'm going also request to ride along with the tech when they take the car out so they can't screw with me and say they didn't hear or feel anything happen. Since I have an MGW shifter I bet they cry about the shifter, and if that happens I'll put in my own tranny fluid.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, if it's crunchy cold and gets better, it's a prime candidate for a fluid change fix. The QS fluid in my early build 12 was terrible anytime the temps dropped below 7-8 degrees C.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftodaro View Post
What i have noticed about the M-82, yes its crap but i notice if i try shifting the gears at low RPMs it has a harder time finding the next gate that if I keep the RPM's up say 3500 to 4000 and above when shifting. I think the design of the box and the syncros is such that it has a hard time matching the shafts unless you get it spinning good the syncros work better. Just an observation you may be able to make some minor adjustments in your driving see if it works. One of my hobby's is rebuilding transmissions in my race car, (not the ford M-82) would like to get my hands on one to play with, Just not mine, lol.
I agree with this! Whenever I shift below 2k rpms it feels like it struggles to get into gear but when I shift 3k+ it feels smoother! Sucks u have to shift higher rpms tho..
Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I agree with this! Whenever I shift below 2k rpms it feels like it struggles to get into gear but when I shift 3k+ it feels smoother! Sucks u have to shift higher rpms tho..
i shift around 2 to 3k and i still have issuses. I feel like i should just give up. Probably wasting my time anyway. Like i said, unless there is a catostrophic failure that they have no way of saying is"normal" we are all stuck with clunky shifting. I dont know if i should go to this other dealer or not. May still go so they can hear the rattle im hearing, the other dealer's service manager heard it several times, but said he couldnt get it to happen again after i got out tof the car.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I feel like Ford knows there's the issue and they don't want to spend any unnecessary money to fix it Because it's not a safety concern. So unless you have a catastrophic failure with your transmission they will just blow you off until warranty runs out.
Ohh, their is a safety concern, I read it on Safercar.gov last year. Folks have had accidents due to wrong gear selection and excessive tire spin on say hitting 2nd instead of 4th on a down shift. Ford stated the fix was new type of fluid. I will look it up again. this is also the place a GT drive shaft breaking due to a burn out was documented.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I feel like Ford knows there's the issue and they don't want to spend any unnecessary money to fix it Because it's not a safety concern. So unless you have a catastrophic failure with your transmission they will just blow you off until warranty runs out.
Ohh, their is a safety concern, I read it on Safercar.gov last year. Folks have had accidents due to wrong gear selection and excessive tire spin on say hitting 2nd instead of 4th on a down shift. Ford stated the fix was new type of fluid. I will look it up again. This is also the place a GT drive shaft breaking due to a burn out was documented.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

It seems to me if a DOT investigation was opened, and Ford's statement that the TSB for fluid change was the fix; that is a customer experiences such complaints and the TSB is being refused to be done to fix it, well.....come to your own conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT.gov
SUMMARY:

The Office of Defects Investigations (ODI) analyzed complaint data provided by Ford as well as complaints submitted to ODI from consumers. In total, there were 364 unique reports indicating various shift quality issues while driving. Ford identified several factors that may contribute to shift quality concerns in the subject vehicles, including cold transmission, clutch stay-out at high engine speeds, gear clash or grinding, and gradual loosening of clutch plate bolts in some early production vehicles. The largest percentage of complaints indicated higher than expected shift efforts in cold ambient temperatures. These complaints were related to transmission fluid viscosity and the higher shift efforts resolved themselves with the drivetrain warming. Ford published technical service bulletin TSB 11-3-18 to inform technicians that a lower viscosity fluid was available for use to address the cold shift issues. The clutch stay-out condition typically occurs at engine speeds greater than 4000 rpm. It does not prevent the selection of any gear, but may delay clutch re-engagement depending on how long the driver maintains the higher engine speed. Ford identified rotating inertia of the clutch components as the root cause and replacement clutch pedal parts were made available under Ford TSB 10-19-4. A number of reports alleged increasing difficulty selecting gears along with gear clash or grinding. Grinding or notchy gear shifts may be caused by gradual loosening of clutch plate fasteners, which is promoted by certain aggressive shifting. This condition is progressive in nature and initially results in symptoms related to shift quality/feel. Clutch plate bolt loosening will not result in inability to select any gear unless the progressive symptoms are ignored until complete clutch failure occurs. ODI?s analysis identified only five complaints alleging an inability to shift into gear due to loose clutch plate bolts. None of these resulted in a stall and gear shifting could occur before engine start. A revised fastener was designed and implemented in production and is available for service through a special service message. There is no indication of loss of motive power or unreasonable safety risk associated with the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. This preliminary evaluation is closed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT