MT-82 blues - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Here is a DOT 8 page letter PDF of complaints
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...1024-47580.pdf
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Ohh, their is a safety concern, I read it on Safercar.gov last year. Folks have had accidents due to wrong gear selection and excessive tire spin on say hitting 2nd instead of 4th on a down shift. Ford stated the fix was new type of fluid. I will look it up again. This is also the place a GT drive shaft breaking due to a burn out was documented.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

It seems to me if a DOT investigation was opened, and Ford's statement that the TSB for fluid change was the fix; that is a customer experiences such complaints and the TSB is being refused to be done to fix it, well.....come to your own conclusions or ask a lawyer like JustCallSaul type.
Im kinda interested in what the changed about the clutch/brake pedal assembly. Did they just put a stronger return spring on it and do away with the helper spring?
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Ohh, their is a safety concern, I read some on Safercar.gov last year. Folks have had accidents due to wrong gear selection and excessive tire spin on say hitting 2nd instead of 4th on a down shift. Ford stated the fix was new type of fluid. I will look it up again. This is also the place a GT drive shaft breaking due to a burn out was documented.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Quote:
Originally Posted by complainant
JUST A FEW OF THE ISSUES I HAD WHILE MY CAR . I WAS TOLD THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WITH MY CAR AFTER I ALMOST GOT KILLED TWICE BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT DOWN SHIFT INTO LOWER GEARS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. TRANS WILL LOOK UP ONCE SHIFTER IS IN BETWEEN GEARS AND WILL NOT GO INTO GEARS STILL SPEED AND RPM SLOW DOWN. MOST EVIDENT WHEN TRYING TO GO FROM 6TH TO 4TH. I WAS ALMOST IN AN ACCIDENT TWICE BECAUSE I WAS NOT ABLE TO DOWN SHIFT TO GET OUT OF THE WAY OF A ONCOMING TRAFFIC. HAD A CRACKED RIM THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY A CASTING DEFECT. HAD A TICKING IN THE ENGINE AFTER LONG TRIPS. . 5.0 SOUNDED LIKE A DIESEL. *TR
Quote:
I AM CONCERNED AS THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL TIMES I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT BECAUSE THE CAR WOULD NOT SHIFT PROPERLY AND ACCELERATE. I BELIEVE THAT THE ONLY REASON THE ISSUES ON MY CAR HAVE FINALLY BEEN ADDRESSED IS BECAUSE I CALLED FORD DIRECTLY. IT APPEARS ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO LOCATE ON LINE, FORD MAY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE SHIFTING PROBLEMS SINCE MID LAST YEAR BUT THE CONSUMER HAS BEEN LEFT IN THE DARK ABOUT THE ISSUE .
Quote:
PURCHASED NEW 2011 MUSTANG GT. BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH GEARS BEING VERY NOTCHY AND DIFFICULT TO SHIFT. I HAVE HAD 2 ACCOUNTS WHERE I WAS NEARLY REARENDED WHILE COMING OFF A YIELD DUE TO THE FACT THAT 4TH GEAR WOULD NOT SHIFT IN PLACE.
Quote:
IT WENT BACK TO.THE SHOP THEY SAID THEY FIXED IT BUT EVEN THE TECH SAID IT WASNT 100% FIXED AND THAT IT MAY PERIODICALLY MESS UP. SOON THERE REPAIRS GOT WORSE THE CAR WOULD COMPLETELY LOCK REAR WHEELS DURING SIMPLE DOWNSHIFTS OR UPSHIFTS. THEY REPAIRED AGAIN. AT ONE POINT ON THE INTESTATE IT LOCKED UP AND THE PERSON BEHIND ME LOST CONTROLL AND SPUN INTO.THE GRASS OFF THE ROAD.. IT WENT IN AGAIN FOR REPAIRS THIS TIME THE CLUTCH NEEDED ADJUSTING AND THE FIXED SOME.FAILED PARTS... THEN THE REAR STARTED LEAKING THIS PAST THANKSGIVING AND I WAS STUCK.IN MYRTLE BEACH AND THE CAR WAS AT THE DEALER THERE AND THE PART THE NEEDED TO.FIX THE CAR WAS ON BACK ORDER. I'M A 22 YEAR OLD GUY WITH SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS TRYING TO.ENJOY.MYSELF BUT THE STRESS FROM THIS CAR IS KILLING ME AND THE CAR HAS CAUSED AN ACCIDENT AND I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN IT..
Quote:
: I WAS ACCELERATING ONTO THE HIGHWAY TO MERGE WITH TRAFFIC. ATTEMPTED TO SHIFT FROM THIRD GEAR TO FOURTH GEAR AS I WAS PASSING A SEMI. I WAS UNABLE TO GET INTO GEAR (SHIFTING CORRECTLY: CLUTCH DEPRESSED, CALM SMOOTH GEAR CHANGE), AND I WAS FORCED TO DRIVE OFF THE ROAD AT 35+ MPH. THIS LIFE THREATENING EXPERIENCE MOVED ME TO TAKE THESE ACTIONS.
Quote:
ON A 2 LANE ROAD, SPEED LIMIT 45 MPH. BUS WAS PULLED OVER IN THE RIGHT LANE , SLOWED DOWN TO ABOUT 30 MPH, AN APPROPRIATE GAP IN TRAFFIC WAS COMING UP. WENT TO PUT CAR INTO 3RD GEAR AFTER REV MATCHING AND 3RD GEAR WAS LOCKED OUT. HAD TO SWERVE BACK BEHIND THE BUS AND SLAM ON THE BREAKS. THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME A GEAR HAS BEEN LOCKED OUT AND CAUSED ME TO PULL OVER ONTO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD OR SHOULDER
It seems to me if a DOT investigation was opened, and Ford's statement that the TSB for fluid change was the fix; so DOT says no safety issue. Now comes many customers experiences such complaints and the TSB is being refused to be done to fix it, well.....come to your own conclusions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

They said they would change the fluid if I paid for it to be done. 130.00

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
I guess t this point they can play the "wear item" game. But lets think about wear items that have defects like brake pads or rotors. If they has a defect causing the ABS to turn on and swerve you into the grass, the wear items was defective from the start. At this point I would cut my losses and pay to have them change it, keep the receipts and complaints if needed further down the road.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I guess t this point they can play the "wear item" game. But lets think about wear items that have defects like brake pads or rotors. If they has a defect causing the ABS to turn on and swerve you into the grass, the wear items was defective from the start. At this point I would cut my losses and pay to have them change it, keep the receipts and complaints if needed further down the road.
Well i have this customer service case number. But the service manager at the dealer i was going to said he felt a little harshness but it felt normal to him. I am having trouble getting other dealers to look at the car because either they say they don’t have a Trans tech, or the tech they have is months behind on work.
The CSM I’m working with isn’t really helping at all as far as i can tell. She offered me a complimentary extended warranty last week, but after the service manager told her it felt normal to him, when i called her this week she said someone would have to diagnose it with a problem before she would offer me an extended warranty. All sounds fishy to me. I just want my car to shift correctly all the time. I’ve had several mustangs and this is the first that i have had problems with. And it’s the most expensive one.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight5.0 View Post
My dealer quoted me twice that much for a transmission flush yesterday...
JM7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'll be honest here. Stuff like what's here is winding you up like a personal injury lawyer. I mean, seriously? Accidents due to "wrong gear selection" "hitting second instead of fourth"; How is that the manufacturer's fault? Or "driveshaft breakage due a burnout"? Really? This is a "defect"? Sounds more like abuse to me. Clumsy and stupid from consumers isn't a warrantable item. This trans does like to be handled in a particular way; it's no Toploader for slamming around. Like all six speeds, it's got narrow gates and needs precision handling. Some of the descriptions suggest the possibility there is at least as much of an issue with how people are handling the shifting as the potential for a trans issue.

I'm now begging you to just change the fluid for one of the ones recommended here and move on with your life. If this doesn't cure your small second gear problem I'll be very surprised. You know you have a 2011 and that makes the chance you have the fluid identified as an issue in the gearbox a virtual certainty. At this point, you're so wrapped up in the negativity around this it's poisoned your whole experience with the car.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM7225 View Post
My dealer quoted me twice that much for a transmission flush yesterday...
Thats not a flush.. its just a drain and fill.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I'll be honest here. Stuff like what's here is winding you up like a personal injury lawyer. I mean, seriously? Accidents due to "wrong gear selection" "hitting second instead of fourth"; How is that the manufacturer's fault? Or "driveshaft breakage due a burnout"? Really? This is a "defect"? Sounds more like abuse to me. Clumsy and stupid from consumers isn't a warrantable item. This trans does like to be handled in a particular way; it's no Toploader for slamming around. Like all six speeds, it's got narrow gates and needs precision handling. Some of the descriptions suggest the possibility there is at least as much of an issue with how people are handling the shifting as the potential for a trans issue.

I'm now begging you to just change the fluid for one of the ones recommended here and move on with your life. If this doesn't cure your small second gear problem I'll be very surprised. You know you have a 2011 and that makes the chance you have the fluid identified as an issue in the gearbox a virtual certainty. At this point, you're so wrapped up in the negativity around this it's poisoned your whole experience with the car.
I agree with the first part there. I have never went into second when i was going for fourth. I have penzoil syncromesh in the trans now and it helped alittle with the cold mornings but the problem is still there. I also have installed a ford SS clutch line, and borton shifter bracket. It all helped but the harshness is still there.
And yes the negativity from this issue has effected my thoughts on ford and the car. Everything else on the car seems to be great.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Not a big fan of Synchromesh. Has a very hit and miss reputation in this application. I'd stick with Redline or Amsoil, as many have trod this path before you.

I washed the car and took it out for a spirited drive before going to the auto show to load up on all the new stuff. The car is still quite a good ride and my little cleanup and go helped me see that again, after a long cold winter.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Talked to red line and they said there MT-85 and MT-90 were excellent in almost all syncro transmissions.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I'll be honest here. Stuff like what's here is winding you up like a personal injury lawyer. I mean, seriously? Accidents due to "wrong gear selection" "hitting second instead of fourth"; How is that the manufacturer's fault? Or "driveshaft breakage due a burnout"? Really? .
5LO, "driveshaft breakage due a burnout"? is something I laugh about. But folks I have listed in the quote columns what is happening to them on the MT82 and posted to DOT.

A dealer saying bad shifting is normal is saying yes the product sux by design so its normal. But if a TSB on how to un-SUX it is available it should be done.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

anyone have any experience with straight redline MT-90??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT