decision time V-6 OR V-8.....?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

decision time V-6 OR V-8.....??

i test drove a V-6 PREMIUM /305HP.....i loved it........ i will have to test drive a GT PREMIUM in a few weeks .. to see if which one i prefer more........cause in my own words..... the V-6 felt like i was driving a V-8.....i know there are AFTER MARKET parts and chips to increase HP on both setups.....

just wanted to hear from you guys as owners about your preferences on both the V-6 AND V-8 MUSTANGS........ its been over 20 years since i had some good HORSEPOWER UNDER MY ...SS more then likely both are fun to drive.....and that it would be my OWN PREFERENCE on what i do decided to go with...
coolberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you can afford the GT... well, test drive it. After that if money isn't part of the decision then the decision will be obvious. LOVE mine.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland

If you can afford the insurance, vehicle cost, and the price of premium gas (really doesn't amount to much), then I can think of no real reason not to go for the GT. But, the 305 horsepower of the V6 is more than enough horsepower. I often find myself merging onto the beltway and getting on it to catch up with traffic and before I know it I'm going 95! This V6 is not to be messed with. Having said that, the 5.0 is unholy.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Either way. It's going to be a fun ride now I have to wait for the snow to disappear. Lol
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
V6 guy here, the V8 is better but I wasn't willing to spend the extra $..if you get the V6 and a manual get the 3.31 gears.

Before you decide know that more folks go from the 6 to the 8 rather than the other. I also suggest the security and some type of b/up sensor as anything less than 3' tall cant be seen within 20'
Old 04-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #6

??? So you are saying that these ponys come w/diff rear gears? I didn't know this.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Like SixBanger said, take all the other aspects into consideration and if its nota prob, get da V8! I love mines!
Cam Capollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
One word: V8

One sound: V8 burble

One Feeling: V8 rumble

One result: V8 manliness +8pts

But a V6 is good too I guess. Its plenty quick and has better mpg.

I just learned that if you're gonna buy something try not to buy the lowest model. I learned it when I thought I would be happy with a BMW 330ci but I regretted not forking over another $10k for the M3 at the time.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
if you have to ask... get a different car -_-
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
Sad Panda
Staff

GT
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg View Post
Not sure why anyone would buy the v6, unless... your a female?
Mustang is a muscle car, so get the muscle engine.

Not everybody has the money to cover the expenses of the V8
I can guarantee you that every single person on this forum would get a V8 if money wasnt a problem, but insurance gas and price of car doesnt always fit everybodys budget quite well. Now this new V6 is pretty powerful actually it has enough power to beat the last generation V8s which tends to hurt a lot of peoples egos. With that said a V6 isnt a female car, but a more economic iconic mustang that has enough power to beat previous generation V8s
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I would take a 11 and up v6 b4 another 3v. I have owned a blown 3v. And my wife had a 12 v6. The 3vs are nothing impressive at all. Now the new v6s are impressive

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I would take a 11 and up v6 b4 another 3v. I have owned a blown 3v. And my wife had a 12 v6. The 3vs are nothing impressive at all. Now the new v6s are impressive

+1000
I would love a V8 like yours but at the moment i cant afford it lol
Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The new v6's are verry impressive. And I'm hard to impress when it comes to cars

Old 04-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The new v6's are verry impressive. And I'm hard to impress when it comes to cars

They really are
Previous generation V8s get surprised when they get beaten by a V6 lol
My car even kept up neck to neck with a cobra it was completely stock though even the tires lol
Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
V8.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Can't go wrong with a 5.0
M_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'm down in Phoenix on business and we sprung for a "fun car" at Dollar Rental instead of a regular sedan. Fun Car turned out to be a new convertible Mustang V6. It's a base model with 36k miles on it. One thing I noticed right off the bat, cloth seats are not holding up, the seat bottom cloth in the driver seat is already getting delaminated and nearly folding over. Base model radio sucks, no subs in the doors, and several of the buttons don't function (no phone sync, etc.). Lots of plain plastic on this thing, missing a couple gauges my GT has also. If I would have bought something like this I would have felt ripped off. Locking handles on the convertible top are already getting worn out also. Felt like I was lucky to even get power windows on this car. I rented a GM car recently (Impala) that had a 300 hp V6 (4 door) that could easily keep up with this Mustang, and actually was more fun to drive because of the torque steering fwd.

Get a GT dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
GT if you can afford it. Don't take a test drive if you aren't prepared to go for the GT. Trust me you will have to have it after a test drive.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I enjoy my v6 and have had previous gts. If money and insurance isn't an issue go for the gt.I went for cost, 18,100. I would definitely get an automatic this is probly one of my biggest regrets the 6spd manual is fun just very inconsistent.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolberg View Post
i test drove a V-6 PREMIUM /305HP.....i loved it........ i will have to test drive a GT PREMIUM in a few weeks .. to see if which one i prefer more........cause in my own words..... the V-6 felt like i was driving a V-8.....i know there are AFTER MARKET parts and chips to increase HP on both setups.....

just wanted to hear from you guys as owners about your preferences on both the V-6 AND V-8 MUSTANGS........ its been over 20 years since i had some good HORSEPOWER UNDER MY ...SS more then likely both are fun to drive.....and that it would be my OWN PREFERENCE on what i do decided to go with...

Just remember that any 5.0 can beat you any day of the week; get the GT you will not regret it. :-p
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If your driving a V6 mustang Your really not driving a Mustang

The whole reason to drive a Mustang is to marvel at the 5.0 engine that it comes with
I traded in my 2011 Mazda speed 3 that i owed 22k on and got slammed with a $5000 loss towards my GT.

But The speed 3 would run circles around the v6 stang in all the departments
so getting a v6 stang would of been a downgrade

You have to take in consideration the main attraction of a 5.0 is the SOUND !!
yea you might spend more on gas and insurance,
But put on a set of GT 500 muffs on these things and even a 3 block trip to your local 7/11 can be a song that always keeps the radio off.

Not to mention the way i ordered my base GT with only the Track Pak and Recaros
its practically a Boss 302 minus the 10k extra
And practically just as Fast, running a 12.5 Stock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So its really what you want out of your Mustang
a wannabe Poser with a V6 and racing stripes
or a Real Deal Muscle car that will intimate any Camaro or SRT Challenger

The beauty of the 5.0 is
something called STREET CRED ~~
Not many cars will screw with it $

That in itself is worth the price of admission
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I'm down in Phoenix on business and we sprung for a "fun car" at Dollar Rental instead of a regular sedan. Fun Car turned out to be a new convertible Mustang V6. It's a base model with 36k miles on it. One thing I noticed right off the bat, cloth seats are not holding up, the seat bottom cloth in the driver seat is already getting delaminated and nearly folding over. Base model radio sucks, no subs in the doors, and several of the buttons don't function (no phone sync, etc.). Lots of plain plastic on this thing, missing a couple gauges my GT has also. If I would have bought something like this I would have felt ripped off. Locking handles on the convertible top are already getting worn out also. Felt like I was lucky to even get power windows on this car. I rented a GM car recently (Impala) that had a 300 hp V6 (4 door) that could easily keep up with this Mustang, and actually was more fun to drive because of the torque steering fwd.

Get a GT dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interior in the base models is the same whether it's a GT or V6. OP is asking about a premium which is also the same across the the board. OP, I have a premium V6 with just about every boot on and love my V6 but if you can afford the V8 GET IT!
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post

The whole reason to drive a Mustang is to marvel at the 5.0 engine that it comes with
I traded in my 2011 Mazda speed 3 that i owed 22k on and got slammed with a $5000 loss towards my GT.

But put on a set of GT 500 muffs on these things and even a 3 block trip to your local 7/11 can be a song that always keeps the radio off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The beauty of the 5.0 is

See this is what's wrong with a lot of V8 owners they think there all that just because they have a V8 and that the V6 is not a mustang or less of a car. There's always someone faster. We all love Mustangs and I don't understand why you need to degrade those that go with the V6. I have a V6 and I have had A V8 in the past. Never did I think the V6 was less of a mustang just because it a V6. How would you like it if Shelby owners started bashing you because you have a little V8? I'm also a Shelby owner btw rant over.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I will say it again the 11 and up v6's are verry impressive. I'm hard to please also, when it comes to cars. And I was blown away when my wife had her 12 3.7.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
See this is what's wrong with a lot of V8 owners they think there all that just because they have a V8 and that the V6 is not a mustang or less of a car. There's always someone faster. We all love Mustangs and I don't understand why you need to degrade those that go with the V6. I have a V6 and I have had A V8 in the past. Never did I think the V6 was less of a mustang just because it a V6. How would you like it if Shelby owners started bashing you because you have a little V8? I'm also a Shelby owner btw rant over.
Well stated, your reply is worth the price of admission
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I agree. Way back a long time ago, Mustangs were not perceived only as muscle cars. They were never intended to be only muscle cars. Unfortunately, since they dropped the 4-cyl option & improved V6 performance, people started thinking of the Mustang as only a muscle car with a weaker little brother (V6).

I'm on my 5th Mustang.
302 2-bbl V8
4-cyl
V6
5.0 V8
5.8 V8

I loved them all. Especially that 79 ghia with the 4-cyl / 4-speed combo! My first of three fox-body Mustangs.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Just make your v6 to beat the v8's. It will piss them off even more. I like stomping gt500's and vettes with my coyote.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just make your v6 to beat the v8's. It will piss them off even more. I like stomping gt500's and vettes with my coyote.

Yeah your coyote is high rpm v8? :-p
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
Yeah your coyote is high rpm v8? :-p
Redline is 8100. Spray/ shift at 7800-7900

Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I recently purchased a mustang and went through the V6 or V8 debate between myself. Money wasn't a factor and honestly what it came down to is I came to the conclusion that for a daily driver the V6 would be more fun to drive. Notice I said more fun not faster. I've had cars in the past that were street-able that made 400+ and while it was fun to take to the strip and brag about numbers the car was really had to enjoy to its full potential. Where as a 300 HP car IMO is more of an overall 'fun' driving experience since you can push the car closer to its limits. But at the end of the day get whatever fits your needs better without worrying about the stereotype of 'only driving a v6 mustang' that a lot of people have with Mustangs/Camaros, etc.

And remember to keep in mind the overall performance. There will always be cars faster and remember the new V6's make more power then the 04 and prior GT's so its not comparable to a honda either.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I recently purchased a mustang and went through the V6 or V8 debate between myself. Money wasn't a factor and honestly what it came down to is I came to the conclusion that for a daily driver the V6 would be more fun to drive. Notice I said more fun not faster. I've had cars in the past that were street-able that made 400+ and while it was fun to take to the strip and brag about numbers the car was really had to enjoy to its full potential. Where as a 300 HP car IMO is more of an overall 'fun' driving experience since you can push the car closer to its limits. But at the end of the day get whatever fits your needs better without worrying about the stereotype of 'only driving a v6 mustang' that a lot of people have with Mustangs/Camaros, etc.

And remember to keep in mind the overall performance. There will always be cars faster and remember the new V6's make more power then the 04 and prior GT's so its not comparable to a honda either.

Well said
Old 04-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I knew the V6 boys were gonna band together and state how much faster their cars are then the old V6 of the days past

let me " REPEAT " that its the Aural Sound of owning a V8
that gives the 5.0 owners a bond between owner and vehicle that a V6 just can not deliver.

If you think that the success for a multi million dollar aftermarket for axlebacks on 5.0's is only because its louder, Your missing the point.
When you get the right combination of engine and pipes
Its Heavier

And thats something money or speed just cant buy $$

Long live Rock and Roll
Long Live V8's
Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

test ?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The beauty of the 5.0 is

I love my 13 GT and wouldn't give up the V8 for a V6 but your original post does slam V6 Stangs unnecessarily.

Everyone is entitled to their argument of which is his/her preferred Stang. I stated my case for V8 power, sounds, rumble and overall feel.

But your very first sentence outright called V6 Mustangs non-Mustangs and posers. You're lookin for a fight bro.

I'm a V8 owner and even I'm tempted to stand by the V6ers "banding" together. Everyone has their own version of perfection or satisfaction or whatever.

Glad you love your GT. I love Mia (my 13 GT Premium) and I'm certainly not gonna stand in the way of anyone's love for their own Mustang.

As for street cred mustangs are fast/quick but stock for stock its not really king of the hill. No where close really.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT