Oil Catch Can vs. Breather - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've had a catch can on my 3.7 since it had 2K on it back in 2011. It now has 59K, and I've emptied anywhere from a few tablespoons to about 4 within a months driving. Can't say this would be the case with the 5.0's but it is the case with my 3.7.

It does not matter to me if you go the route of brethers or a catch can, but the passenger side does indeed produce the oil mist.

And for the record, it runs just fine; nothing wrong with it. To anyone who thinks this is too much, simply google it. You'll find for yourself that these engines (and others) do indeed create oil mist, and the catch cans or breathers will keep it from entering your intake.

Here's a few links to read on your own:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...s-really-work/

Look here at post #5...only 90 miles on a 5.0:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...erator-490315/
I'm not going to argue with you. I know what I'm talking about, didn't get to the level I am without it. Throw a power adder on there. Or a real tune and drive it like its intended to be. And watch how long it runs right.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #37
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I'm not going to argue with you. I know what I'm talking about, didn't get to the level I am without it. Throw a power adder on there. Or a real tune and drive it like its intended to be. And watch how long it runs right.

I'm not arguing with you, nor am I doubting what your talking about or your level. Both a breather or a catch can work, but you don't have to have them on both sides of the engine. If you want to, go ahead.

However, it's only required on the passenger side. Trace it out. Drivers side has a tube that draws the air into the crankcase, passenger side routes the crankcase fumes (and this is where the oil mist exists) to the intake to be burned. This is what we want to prevent.

Your method works with breathers, as well as a catch can. I can certainly say this; there is oil mist on the passenger side. I empty the catch can once a month. I may be harder than most with mine; I track it a couple of times a month at a local private airport. It's my daily driver, and weekend play toy.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Someone have an install write-up? Just picked up a couple from the auto parts store for $20

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Someone have an install write-up? Just picked up a couple from the auto parts store for $20

You'll need some block off caps for the tubes that you are removing. The breathers themselves, you can perhaps look at this kit for ideas on how to mount yours:

2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

Or this:

http://www.blowbyracing.com/20mugtbobbrb.html
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I need a bit more help than that, lol. Block off caps? Size? Quantity? Where can I find them?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I need a bit more help than that, lol. Block off caps? Size? Quantity? Where can I find them?
Gotcha. I posted the links as I figured they might have the blockoff caps sold perhaps seperately, or maybe listed in the link as to their size. Or, it would give you some ideas on a search.

Here's what I found: You'll need 1/2 inch caps to fit over the 1/2 inch nipples when the stock tubes are removed. Here's one link to a site that sells them (6 bucks for 10; can most likely find them at an auto parts store):

10 Rubber Vacuum Caps Black for 1 2" Diameter | eBay
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The block off caps are 1/2" rubber vacuum caps. Problem is, I couldn't find a pack of caps at my local parts stores that would fit so I found a cooling line cap kit that had a 1/2" fitting. Essentially the same thing, a little black cap with a half inch opening. You'll need two; one that fits on the underside of your throttle body and another that fits on the port on the intake. Simple stuff, don't overthink it!

The filters I used were the ones you find at any parts store - spectre breather filters part number 3991 (black) or 3992 (red). Take a 1/2" drill bit and widen the hole in the rubber so it will fit. Make sure to get all the rubber fragments out of the filter before installing it - duh. Hose clamp them on.
If you think your passenger side sticks up too far (the blue one, you'll see what I mean), trim it down about half an inch. While you're at it, take out the blue PCV valve altogether and pull the black ring off the bottom end of it and pull out the checkvalve that is inside it (sorta pointless to run a breather filter with the check valve in place).

Autozone, O'reilly's, Advance Auto, Pepboys outta have everything you'll need - except maybe a good sharp knife to trim down the passenger side pcv valve.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, very helpful thank you. Although telling someone trying to learn to do their own mods, rather than pay a shop an outrageous amount, on their $35k vehicle "don't overthink it" is a little moot lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
yes sorry, couldnt see the pic since I am at work
Quote:
like this?

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

these are for 1/2" outside diameter...you need inside diameter correct......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Gotcha. I posted the links as I figured they might have the blockoff caps sold perhaps seperately, or maybe listed in the link as to their size. Or, it would give you some ideas on a search.

Here's what I found: You'll need 1/2 inch caps to fit over the 1/2 inch nipples when the stock tubes are removed. Here's one link to a site that sells them (6 bucks for 10; can most likely find them at an auto parts store):

10 Rubber Vacuum Caps Black for 1 2" Diameter | eBay

Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You will need 2-1/2" vacuum caps. I found them at O'reillys
Low_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

2 per side? I plan on doing both.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2 per side? I plan on doing both.

1 per side
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low_50 View Post
1 per side
Yes, this. Only one nipple gets a cap, as the other end of the stock hose you'd be removing gets the breather installed on it.

Passenger side: remove the hose that runs from the passenger engine head cover to the intake manifold (this is the side that the oil mist is culprit). Install a cap on the nipple of the intake manifold, and install breather on the nipple on the passenger engine head cover (nipple is the PCV valve).

Drivers side: remove the hose that connects from the drivers side engine head cover to the fresh air intake (near the air cleaner box if stock; CAI is simular). Cap the nipple on the air intake side, and put the breather on the nipple at the drivers side engine head.

The picture by DEERSLAYER in post #5 (or copied in post#34) shows the breathers installed on the engine head covers. The other end of the removed tubes from these locations are what you will have to cap off.

The 5.0 and 3.7's don't really have a "valve cover" per say, but rather a engine "head cover".
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hey guys quick question. I'm looking into getting a breather kit set up for mine and checked out JPC racing and it looks like they use a K&N set up. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these ones on Amazon ( K&N 62-1495 Vent Filters) are the same ones JPC is using. I'm getting my valve covers off to powder coat and replace the gasket this weekend and think amazon may be able to get me these breathers faster than JPC.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

the one on amazon has a screw on bottom? This isnt the case is it? The ones on ebay are not like this.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Are these needed for the 2010 GT as well
kript2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

This is my weekend project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mastertz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
Hey guys quick question. I'm looking into getting a breather kit set up for mine and checked out JPC racing and it looks like they use a K&N set up. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these ones on Amazon ( K&N 62-1495 Vent Filters) are the same ones JPC is using. I'm getting my valve covers off to powder coat and replace the gasket this weekend and think amazon may be able to get me these breathers faster than JPC.

I ordered mine from blow by racing on Monday and they are coming in today
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

OK, probably a stupid question... Can you modify to do both. AM has a Moroso breather that looks like has a catch can. If you bought a cath can and spliced in a breather after the catch can would this work well? Help? Overkill?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
the one on amazon has a screw on bottom? This isnt the case is it? The ones on ebay are not like this.

The one on Amazon I looked at said it "Fits threaded Ford valve covers". I guess it would just screw in there haha
Old 04-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ordered mine from blow by racing on Monday and they are coming in today

THanks for the info, called Blow By and they said they could have it to me by Friday. Went ahead and made that order!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
THanks for the info, called Blow By and they said they could have it to me by Friday. Went ahead and made that order!

Awesome man!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Not as " high tech " as your breathers.
Have the same set up on my 11, does just what it's supposed to do, catch the oil blow-by.

.........8500 + miles on the 11 tells me I don't need one on the driver's side.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post
Have the same set up on my 11, does just what it's supposed to do, catch the oil blow-by.
Is this a Ford Racing product? Where did you get this one.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Is this a Ford Racing product? Where did you get this one.
Jegs.....( JEGS Performance Products#555-52205 Air Oil Separator )
Requires basic hand tools & a little skill.

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 View Post

Exactly the setup I have...Bought the air compressor "water trap" at my local Lowes for 8 bucks. And yours is collecting the oil mist as well; more than a few tablespoons...
Old 04-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Just put the breathers on. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397075242.164362.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	153399Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397075254.330667.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	153400Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397075265.626526.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	153401
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Did you remove the check valve on the passenger side?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you remove the check valve on the passenger side?

Crap no I forgot. Bout to go do that
Old 04-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

You have to take the fitting off the valve cover to get it out. Just use a small screwdriver once its off to remove the check valve

Old 04-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have to take the fitting off the valve cover to get it out. Just use a small screwdriver once its off to remove the check valve

Does it just pop off
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does it just pop off
Twist it. Counter clockwise

Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Twist it. Counter clockwise

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397076398.085490.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	927.9 KB
ID:	153403

Take this out?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks good!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT