Oil Catch Can vs. Breather - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Oil Catch Can vs. Breather

Who can help me out here? I've never had experience with either. Which one do you all recommend? How do they both work? Any info would be great
Low_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Breathers are the only way to go. Just make sure you remove the check valve ( little metal ball and a small pin) on the passenger side pcv fitting coming out of the coil cover.

The catch cans suck. They still let oil into the intake.

And no the breathers do not let oil onto your valve covers

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Where can I order them from? Who sales them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Where can I order them from? Who sells them?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Jpc racing. Or blow by racing

Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect! Thanks man
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No problem

Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Breathers /thread
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Breathers are cheaper when you think about all the plumbing and mounting of a catch can.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
powerpony347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpony347 View Post
Breathers are cheaper when you think about all the plumbing and mounting of a catch can.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app

For sure. I ordered breathers from blow by racing last night.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Glad I found this post. More effective AND half the price? *****g SOLD, brother.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Glad I found this post. More effective AND half the price? *****g SOLD, brother.

Exactly!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Breathers are the way to go. If you want to save money, there are TONS on ebay that are exactly the same as blow by and JPC for a fraction of the cost.

12mm 1 2" 0 5" Gunmetal Grey Crankcase Vent Valve Cover Oil Air Breather Filter | eBay

You get the 12mm or 1/2" grommet. Also on the passenger side, you can trim the valve stim downa 1/2" so the filter sits lower to the coil cover.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Finally got off my *** and did it this afternoon. I trimmed down the passenger side PCV about 1.5cm so it didn't stick up, and also removed the checkvalve inside it.

Quick note, normal vacuum caps won't cover the holes left in the intake and the engine side of the pcv hose. They are about 1/2", and the 'advance o'reilly zones' around my area didn't carry vacuum caps that were any bigger than 3/8". I had to get a cap meant for the cooling system to fit. Looks great, fits perfectly.

Might eventually paint the passenger side PCV valve to something other than bright blue at some point. Just me being OCD I guess.

----edit----
The breathers I used were the el cheapo ones at O'reillys. Spectre, part number 3991. Watch your fingers when drilling out the bung to 1/2", I about made a nice hole in my dumb hand today.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Finally got off my *** and did it this afternoon. I trimmed down the passenger side PCV about 1.5cm so it didn't stick up, and also removed the checkvalve inside it.

Quick note, normal vacuum caps won't cover the holes left in the intake and the engine side of the pcv hose. They are about 1/2", and the 'advance o'reilly zones' around my area didn't carry vacuum caps that were any bigger than 3/8". I had to get a cap meant for the cooling system to fit. Looks great, fits perfectly.

Might eventually paint the passenger side PCV valve to something other than bright blue at some point. Just me being OCD I guess.

----edit----
The breathers I used were the el cheapo ones at O'reillys. Spectre, part number 3991. Watch your fingers when drilling out the bung to 1/2", I about made a nice hole in my dumb hand today.

Did you find the caps for the cooling system at O'reillys?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Aye, they weren't with the normal vacuum caps. Had to go over near the area with the cooling system hoses and fluids to find what I needed.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Aye, they weren't with the normal vacuum caps. Had to go over near the area with the cooling system hoses and fluids to find what I needed.

Oh ok gotcha, thanks man
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The breathers delete the lines that go to the air intake right? Those aren't needed? & do the filters eventually have to be changed at all?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
The breathers delete the lines that go to the air intake right? Those aren't needed? & do the filters eventually have to be changed at all?
No the lines are not needed. All you have to so is clean the filters. Just like a CAI.

The catch cans are a ripoff, for people that are sold on advertising and such. Aka have no clue about ****

Old 04-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
No the lines are not needed. All you have to so is clean the filters. Just like a CAI. The catch cans are a ripoff, for people that are sold on advertising and such. Aka have no clue about **** Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I figured a cleaning like a CAI would do..Awesome thanks! Yea they seam expensive for what they are..the breathers look way better IMO! I've quickly figured out doing your research before being anything will save u lost of $ & headaches in the long run.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
I figured a cleaning like a CAI would do..Awesome thanks! Yea they seam expensive for what they are..the breathers look way better IMO! I've quickly figured out doing your research before being anything will save u lost of $ & headaches in the long run.
I clean mine every oil change. So every 2k for me

Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You only need one catch can or breather filter, and that's on the passenger side. The drivers side is where the engine draws air into the crankcase, so that side drawing air from the stock tube via the air intake to the engine cover is fine. Adding one for looks or "balance" works though.

The passenger side is the culprit for the oil mist, so either a catch can (you can make your own using the existing tube and plum in your own can) or the breather works. The breather will need to be cleaned, and yes, it will eventually dump oil onto the passenger side engine cover if you don't clean it. With around 650 highway miles I frive a month, I see around 4 tablespoons of oil; that's alot for a breather filter to be expected to hold without periodic cleaning. Breathers are certainly the cheaper way to do it, just be sure to inspect them.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You do need 2 of them. For proper venting of the pcv gasses. Just Like you have to remove the check valve on the passenger side . and if your getting 4 tablespoons in 650 miles you have a problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

There an oil consumption issue with the 5.0 that would require changes to the PCV system?
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I am new to Mustangs.Just picked up my 2014 GT. Is there something I should be modifying on my car??
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
There an oil consumption issue with the 5.0 that would require changes to the PCV system?
They have blow by stock. The 4 tablespoons in 600 miles is ridiculous. Best way to properly eliminate oil going back to the intake is with breathers, Also alows the pcv gasses to properly vent.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have blow by stock. The 4 tablespoons in 600 miles is ridiculous. Best way to properly eliminate oil going back to the intake is with breathers, Also alows the pcv gasses to properly vent.

This fairly common? Granted I only have 700 miles on my 5.0. She's still full.

BTW. Whoever decided to put the dipstick in its current location. Should be dragged into the street and shot.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
This fairly common? Granted I only have 700 miles on my 5.0. She's still full.

BTW. Whoever decided to put the dipstick in its current location. Should be dragged into the street and shot.
Yes.

Lol it can be a pain

Old 04-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes.

Lol it can be a pain

Thanks for the heads up.

The Magnum 360's have similar issues. I fixed it with a baffled canister. Completely stopped my oil consumption and anything that did make its way into the canister. Drained back into the motor.

If my 5.0 exhibits this behavior I'll have to try it again.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Not to hijack the thread, but I didn't see this mentioned on the 3.7 side. Are these available for us 3.7 guys?
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I dont see any reason why breathers wouldnt work on a v6. I used to run one on my old SRT4...
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Can someone who has done this to their passenger side post a pic of the engine with it on there?

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #33
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
You do need 2 of them. For proper venting of the pcv gasses. Just Like you have to remove the check valve on the passenger side . and if your getting 4 tablespoons in 650 miles you have a problem.

Examine the crankcase ventilation setup. On the drivers side, theres a tube that runs from near the air cleaner box (stock) or CAI tube to the drivers side head cover. This is the engines crankcase intake. On the right side (passenger), the crankcase gases/oil mist is drawn out via the PCV valve, through a tube that connects to the intake.

It is on this side that the oil vapor is going to exist, nothing on the drivers side.

Since air is drawn in from the drivers side via the tube that runs near the air filter box to the head cover, you don't need a breather on that side, but by installing one, it makes the engine bay look nice and balanced with the one thats required on the passenger side.

Either a breather or a can works. Your choice.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
Can someone who has done this to their passenger side post a pic of the engine with it on there?
like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
12mm 1 2" 0 5" Gunmetal Grey Crankcase Vent Valve Cover Oil Air Breather Filter | eBay

You get the 12mm or 1/2" grommet. Also on the passenger side, you can trim the valve stim downa 1/2" so the filter sits lower to the coil cover.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

I've had a catch can on my 3.7 since it had 2K on it back in 2011. It now has 59K, and I've emptied anywhere from a few tablespoons to about 4 within a months driving. Can't say this would be the case with the 5.0's but it is the case with my 3.7. If I do city driving, it's less, but with highway driving of 70 MPH plus, It captures more.

It does not matter to me if you go the route of a breather or a catch can, but the passenger side is where the oil mist is going to be captured.

Here's a few links to read on your own:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...s-really-work/

Look here at post #5...only 90 miles on a 5.0:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...erator-490315/

And many posts on the subject with catch cans, breathers, and some homemade units to keep the oil mist out of the intake:

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...528638/index2/

I don't care what you go with, but keeping it (oil mist) out of your intake is a good idea. If your a non believer, borrow onr from your friend who installed one, run it for about 200 to 300 miles, then see how much oil it captured. You'll be a believer then. And there's nothing wrong with the engine; they produce oil mist.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT