3rd Gear Syncros going out. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #1

Region: California
3rd Gear Syncros going out.

Im in a bit of a panic here and am in need of some advice. My 3rd gear syncros are on their way out in my 2012 GT. Whether I shift quickly or slowly with the clutch pressed all the way to the floor it grinds it's way into gear 50% of the time.

I'm sure I am partly at fault for this since I installed the Boss intake Manifold and tuned the car which set the rev limiter at 7800rpm. The problem with this is that the car will not shift into any gear over 7200rpm because the stock clutch and pressure plate cant handle it. As a result of this any time I'm not watching my RPMs closely and I try to shift past 7200rpm the gears grind. After I discovered this issue it has only happened a handful of times when I am not watching the RPMs closely. But apparently that is enough to effect this pos transmission.

My question for you all is this. How had the dealership treated you when it comes to getting warranty work done on your car when you have aftermarket parts installed? This will be the first time I've taken it in for anything other than an oil change.

I currently have a Hurst short throw shifter and Barton 2 post bracket that I will be removing before taking the car in since I know they will try to tell me that the shifter and bracket are inferior to the factory ones and have caused the issue. But as far as the boss intake manifold goes. I would really like to leave it on since it's a process to reinstall the old one and re tune back to stock. From your experiences should I just restore everything back to stock? Or will I be alright leaving the parts that don't directly effect the transmission on my car? I really need this to be repaired under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods- Airaid CAI, Boss IM, BAMA Tuned, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Back, SR Performance Springs, 3.55 Gears, HID Fog lights, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires on TSW Rockingham wheels 20x10 295/30/20 rear and 20x8 275/40/19 front.
Tylerva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I work for Ford as service writer. That being said, uninstall the shifter like you said you were and I would tune it back to stock, then you should be good. The intake doesn't have a direct effect on the transmission and shouldn't effect the warranty. I would just run it as a claim if you came to me. I always work to the fullist with my customers!

If the dealer gives you crap, then return as much as you can back to stock and try a different dealership.

Anyways, good luck mate!
ksnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #3

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnapp View Post
I work for Ford as service writer. That being said, uninstall the shifter like you said you were and I would tune it back to stock, then you should be good. The intake doesn't have a direct effect on the transmission and shouldn't effect the warranty. I would just run it as a claim if you came to me. I always work to the fullist with my customers!

If the dealer gives you crap, then return as much as you can back to stock and try a different dealership.

Anyways, good luck mate!
Thanks you for the response. I guess I will remove the boss manifold since I will need to tune it back to stock. In order to run that manifold a tune is required according to American Muscle and others that I have read online.

Quick question for you. Since you are a service writer at Ford I figure you would answer this question better than anyone else. I haven't yet had an oil change at the dealership since the install of the boss Manifold. When I take the car in for regular service such as an oil change will the dealer take note of things like the manifold or shifter in the future, and use it against me when I bring the car in for future warranty work with those parts Uninstalled. Or does Ford only take note of aftermarket parts that could directly effect the issue that the vehicle is being serviced for at that exact moment? May sound paranoid but I want to cover all of my bases. Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods- Airaid CAI, Boss IM, BAMA Tuned, Flowmaster Hushpower Axle-Back, SR Performance Springs, 3.55 Gears, HID Fog lights, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires on TSW Rockingham wheels 20x10 295/30/20 rear and 20x8 275/40/19 front.
Tylerva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
It depends on your dealer, as mentioned by K differant dealers have differant standards. A good bit of advice is talk to them first and be open

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT