Mid Pipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mid Pipe

I see and read lots of guys get axel backs. So my question is is the mid pipe not that restrictive to the point to where it's ok to get axel backs or is it just one of those preference things? I don't want to spend money on a Catback because I just don't want to spend the money but I'm tired of my car not sounding like a beast. I would rather split the the cost of a CB and get an AB AND a MGW shifter.
Anthony214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You don't have to choose. Do the Shifter and the Axle backs now. If you want more you can always do mid pipe later. I did all three at same time but if money or just not being sure is making decision difficult then do shifter and axle back. They will make a big difference and then you can do mid pipe down the road if you still want more rumble. Love my H pipe for what its worth.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I mean the most gains you get from the cat back is like 6-10 hp right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ya, not really going to be any significant HP gain so it is about sound. That said IF you think you might do a midpipe you should consider when buying the axle backs. If you do not want to go to loud you may want quieter AB's in case you get the mid pipe. Texas doesnt do emissions tests do they? Here is a link to the sound clip of mine. $600 plus install. Was $1,240 basically for the Short Shifter, H pipe, axle backs and install.
2013 Mustang GT Exhaust Pypes Off Road H-pipe with Pype Bomb axle back BAMA Tuned - YouTube
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony214 View Post
Yea I mean the most gains you get from the cat back is like 6-10 hp right?
Not even that. The biggest restriction in the exhaust are the cats so an off road mid pipe will net you about 15 horsepower but will require a tune.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm with NaplesStang on this one. You don't have to rush into a mid-pipe if you're unsure. You'll still benefit from an axleback's "music to your ears" without any other mods. They don't really add HP on a stock Mustang, but they're main focus is volume/tone anyways.

Adding a catless or even high-flow catted Mid-pipe will also increase the sound. The aftermarket mid-piples flow very well too, so you'll see a little jump in power with one of those as well.

Lastly, I really like NaplesStang statement of keeping mind what mid-pipe you may or may not want, while purchasing an axleback. I've seen a few customers that purchase a "loud" axleback, that are truly happy with it. Then they go to upgrade the mid-pipe and it becomes too loud with the additional volume.

Hit me up if you have any questions or other interests!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Whoa that sounded nice dude. Didn't even cross my mind about the future sound when upgrading the mid pipe. So touching up on what Grabber said, I'm assuming exhaust upgrades are when you are really trying to squeeze the last bit of HP from your car correct? I love the combo of shifter and sound. It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. Also do they even sell mid pipes by themselves? Or do you have to get those fabricated?
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'm not sure why, but upgrading the mid-pipe alone seems to be a popular mod for "more sound and power." Yes it is more efficient than an h-pipe, but I've only been told 5 hp or so. I personally don't like the sound of an x-pipe so I'll take the 5 hp loss and stick with my h. An x being louder than an h, idk ab that, think ab it, they're very close in size.

Yes mid-pipes are sold by themselves.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I should do more resreach on H pipe vs. X pipe. I have read that the H is better torque at lower RPM's and the X is more torque at higher RPM's but i can speak well as to any difference in HP. I am with 2stangz though. Like the H pipe sound over the x pipe.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whoa that sounded nice dude. Didn't even cross my mind about the future sound when upgrading the mid pipe. So touching up on what Grabber said, I'm assuming exhaust upgrades are when you are really trying to squeeze the last bit of HP from your car correct? I love the combo of shifter and sound. It's like 2 birds with 1 stone. Also do they even sell mid pipes by themselves? Or do you have to get those fabricated?
They are sold separate. Allot of bolt on mods do some help in HP but not a tom. When you get to the level of these new GT's the Mod gains are usually mediocre unless supercharger or something. I did it for performance and sound. You will have to get a Tune with a new Mid pipe though. Check American muscle they have lots to choose from but like I said definitely check state emissions testing.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Delete your cats it'll wake that beast up
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycalibear View Post
Delete your cats it'll wake that beast up
+1

Thats why I got the Off road H pipe. No Cats definitely wakes up the car... and your neighbors, lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
+1

Thats why I got the Off road H pipe. No Cats definitely wakes up the car... and your neighbors, lol.

Hahahaha it definitely does 😂😂
Sunnycalibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Anthony214,

It's always good to keep your future mods in mind when changing things on your Mustang. It really sucks if you have to buy the same part twice because you decided to take a different approach than before. Trust me, I've learned this first hand all too many times haha.

Catless Mid-pipes do help bump up the power of your Mustang a little. It's minor at first, but the more mods you add to your engine, the more it will benefit from the free flowing exhaust. Which essentially is causing the mid-pipe to produce more power.

You can absolutely buy an aftermarket mid-pipe separately. We offer several different styles and options for your Mustang if you're interested down the road!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Well since we are on the topic already maybe y'all could help me out too......I got flowmaster axle backs and factory midpipe and I have cat deletes what kind of aftermarket midpipe will work with that combo or is the factory mid pipe efficient enough.....the off road mid pipe would replace my cat deletes correct? so will the cat deletes connect to a regular mid pipe or would I need a shorty mid pipe since I already have the deletes?
r_neck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #16
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_neck7 View Post
Well since we are on the topic already maybe y'all could help me out too......I got flowmaster axle backs and factory midpipe and I have cat deletes what kind of aftermarket midpipe will work with that combo or is the factory mid pipe efficient enough.....the off road mid pipe would replace my cat deletes correct? so will the cat deletes connect to a regular mid pipe or would I need a shorty mid pipe since I already have the deletes?
Honestly, unless you're supercharged there's no point in swapping out the factory H-pipe with your setup. Most of the benefit an O/R Hpipe provides is cat deletes. Of course, they physical piping is also less restrictive and will help with higher HP applications.

The only other reason I'd switch to an O/R Hpipe with your car is to clean up the exhaust. A lot of cat delete pipes have issues with exhaust leaks, and a solid pipe would fix that problem.

If you did want to upgrade to an O/R Hpipe, than all you would need is a standard sizing. At that point you would not use the cat-delete pipes anymore.

Hope this clarifies things!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So I installed my axel backs and man does it roar. Provided by AM of course. I thought the install was going to be harder but it was a piece of cake. Workin under jacks is what made it difficult.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT