Time for a CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Time for a CAI

Hey guys, as you know by now I am in the market for a new cai for my 2014 GT. I have been looking around and have narrowed it down to steeda, jlt, and airaid race cold air but I will need help by people who have had some personal experience. Perhaps has anyone tried multiple cai?

First of all, my car is bama tuned, therefore I am looking for a cai that requires a tune.

Second i need to make sure this cai has a good wall to protect it from rain.

Third has anyone had problems with any of those cai?

Thanks guys!
Subtle stang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Honestly man, since you're already tuned, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference. The stock air box on the 2010 GT/2011+ is a great air box. Not worth spending $300-$400 for 10 HP gain IMO. However, those are all solid CAI's. I had the JLT on my last Mustang. Roush rebrands Airaid CAI's and puts them on their production vehicles. Steeda seems to release the highest #'s/dyno sheet gains.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Honestly man, since you're already tuned, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference. The stock air box on the 2010 GT/2011+ is a great air box. Not worth spending $300-$400 for 10 HP gain IMO. However, those are all solid CAI's. I had the JLT on my last Mustang. Roush rebrands Airaid CAI's and puts them on their production vehicles. Steeda seems to release the highest #'s/dyno sheet gains.
I don't think he'll see +10HP with a CAI. Maybe +2-4HP
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Unless you're doing it for looks, or sound, forget it.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I don't think he'll see +10HP with a CAI. Maybe +2-4HP
I usually try to give aftermarket CAI's (that require a tune) the benefit of the doubt and just say no more than 10 HP. But I agree - I personally don't have any desire for an aftermarket CAI other than for the looks.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Your car came with a "true" CAI from the factory. save your money.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Only reason i want cai is because i plan to get the boss 302 intake. If i decide to get that on a stock airbox then i pay ~$200 for install kit. I do like the sound of the air intake as well... Haha
Old 04-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle stang14 View Post
Only reason i want cai is because i plan to get the boss 302 intake. If i decide to get that on a stock airbox then i pay ~$200 for install kit. I do like the sound of the air intake as well... Haha
Why the Boss 302 intake? You realize that this intake made for the Boss is set up to work in the mid to high RPM range?

I think it's a gorgous looking intake, and many install it for this reason...it looks awsome when the hood is opened. But be aware that your powerband will change; the intent of the Boss 5.0's are to set the power band in the mid to upper RPM range. Many find this out after the install, and think they did something wrong in the install.

And let any tuner know you have this intake setup should you buy tunes for your Mustang.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm fully aware of this. I'm not really looking to shred my tires. Im looking for something i can feel the power when im accelerating up the ramp on the interstate.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm fully aware of this. I'm not really looking to shred my tires. Im looking for something i can feel the power when im accelerating up the ramp on the interstate.
Then the aftermarket CAI and Boss IM isn't what you need. The stock IM is just fine and actually probably better for DD. what you need if you don't have the track pack are 3.73 gears and a drive shaft upgrade.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hey guys, as you know by now I am in the market for a new cai for my 2014 GT. I have been looking around and have narrowed it down to steeda, jlt, and airaid race cold air but I will need help by people who have had some personal experience. Perhaps has anyone tried multiple cai?

First of all, my car is bama tuned, therefore I am looking for a cai that requires a tune.

Second i need to make sure this cai has a good wall to protect it from rain.

Third has anyone had problems with any of those cai?

Thanks guys!
Subtle stang14,

All three of those CAI's are top notch. You truly can't go wrong with one over another, as they all have perform well and are made of quality materials. If you want the Boss Intake manifold, than you may want to hold off on the CAI until you have them both to install. You can make any of these CAI's fit the Boss intake manifold buy cutting and tweaking the throttle body coupler, but you're better off purchasing a CAI specifically designed to fit the Boss manifold. In which all of three of these brands provide!

I see you're not necessarily interested in racing your Mustang, but having a strong highway car instead. As others have said, the Boss intake manifold does push your powerband into a high RPM range. You'll loose a little torque at lower RPM's, but it'll still be available at the higher RPM's. If you're someone who would enjoy a "sling-shot" effect of building violent high RPM's on the highway, the Boss will suit you well. However, if you're looking for that instant torque at the touch of your throttle, you may want to stick with the stock intake manifold.

Figure out which type of power suits you the best and then make your decision from there. If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

The Boss Manifold is meant to work with the Boss because the Boss can rev higher more safely. Even going up the ramp you still might not even reach the gains haha.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

The Boss Manifold is meant to work with the Boss because the Boss can rev higher more safely. Even going up the ramp you still might not even reach the gains haha.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Your car came with a "true" CAI from the factory. save your money.
GrabberBlue.... Question for you... I really want a CAI that doesnt require a tune....do you know what I should go with? I really liked the carbon fiber one by AirRaid or the blackhawk by K&N. I was reading bad things bout the blackhawk but I do like the way it looks and sounds! Beats the stock one I think
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
GrabberBlue.... Question for you... I really want a CAI that doesnt require a tune....do you know what I should go with? I really liked the carbon fiber one by AirRaid or the blackhawk by K&N. I was reading bad things bout the blackhawk but I do like the way it looks and sounds! Beats the stock one I think
Then get the Airaid one. That way if you ever decide to tune it you can just remove the tube.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
i just picked up the Airaid from AM and plan on taking out the tube so I will need a tune. Quality is very nice compared to units I've had in the past.
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT