New to the family here, but not Mustangs! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
New to the family here, but not Mustangs!

Hello everyone! I want to introduce myself and at the same time as for some help/advice.

So I am on my 6th Mustang and just L-O-V-E my new 2011 GT Premium. This thing is sliiiiiiick.

I have had a '69 Fastback, 2001, 2003 GT, 2004 GT, 2007 GT and now a 2011 GT. Whew.

I had recently sold my 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am to get back into the seat of a Mustang. I just can't get away from them.

I got a screaming deal on this 2011. The previous owner has done a tremendous amount of upgrades on it already for me.

I'm only a week into the car and still going over it looking at what they did before I got it.

And here's the problem and where I need the advice.

When I got the car it had about 1/2 tank of gas so I stopped to get some. Then it started idling real low and was kinda jerking a little. I wasn't TOO concerned since I needed to try and figure out performance wise what they had done.

Then I got down to 1/2 tank of gas today and I was sitting at a light and the wrench light came on and it died. So I restarted it and the wrench light went off and now the service engine light came on.

I probably should not have done what I did, but I stopped and got more gas. My wife was with me and she said she's guessing I got some bad gas when I picked it up earlier this week and it was trying to work itself out.

She would know cause unfortunately she has been down that road and I have never had a "bad gas" issue so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here.

When we got on the highway to go home she said "Open this SOB up…" God I love her. Anyway it was shifting through the gears just fine and didn't run rough, etc. It sounds just like it should and even on the side roads it was driving just fine. It's just when it sits in park or at a stop with the brake on is when it gets rough.

I got 2 options.

Go back to the Ford dealership since I called them and told them what happened and they said "bring it in and we will look at it and make it right". I don't trust that option.

Take a looooong trip to burn out the full tank and possibly add an additive to it and pray that will fix it?

I'm in a loss. I could work on the '69 and the Trans Am with my eyes closed. I look under the hood of this beast and I get nervous as all get out.

Glad to be here and so glad to be back behind the Mustang. S**T happens and I'm not freaking out over this little set back.

Thanks everyone!
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Welcome to the forum! The car may have been sitting too long and if the dealer did not add fuel stabilizer then the gas is bad. I would take it back. Of course it could be something else but they can at least flush the fuel system to see if it fixes the problem. Good luck!
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I am heading back in the morning, and did some more poking around last night to see what other add ons the previous owner did before I got it to get a much better feel of the car.

Good thing was that it was only on the lot for about a month before I got it.

I did forget to mention that it does have a K&N cold air kit and I would put my bottom dollar on it that it was custom tuned and when I added 91 octane gas it threw it into a tailspin. I had someone mention this to me and it makes total sense to me.

When I test drove it twice it never acted like this so logically deducting what happened after I picked it up would make sense that I stopped to fill it up and used 91 octane. I'm so used to buying that due to my wife's car that I was on autopilot.

So now the questions I have are:

If they did go back to a stock tune at the dealer and then I have the whole gas issue- is this where I can pick another tune or would you suggest that I just burn the gas, go back to 87 octane and see what happens?

Since I have never tuned a Mustang will the dealer be able to tell me how it was tuned? Was there a chance that anything was stored in the computer of the car? Might be a dumb question, but one I gotta ask.

Thanks for the input!
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Even if it was Tuned it should run fine on the 91. Could have a cam tune in it and is idling a little too low and cuts off.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Hey, welcome to the coyote crowd!

My first guess is a fuel issue. You'd have idle and performance problems if you ran 91 and the tune called for 93 and vice-versa. Tricky to figure out what sort of tune you have if the previous owner didn't leave you any paperwork at all.

The dealer more than likely won't be able to tell you what sort of tune is on it - just that it was tuned, period.

My educated guess is that you've got some sort of aftermarket tune on it due to it having a cold air intake...it is very typical to do a tune along with an intake on these cars.

Things to look at: does it have an aftermarket midpipe? Stock headers + cats? What's your rear suspension look like - upper/lower control arms stock or aftermarket? These are typical starting points for this crowd.

Go to the dealer and have them return the car to stock tuning if you have the stock airbox and the cats/midpipe are stock. The car is not driveable with a stock tune and these aftermarket parts.

If you don't have the stock components, maybe it would be a good idea to get into contact with a tuning company and explore what your options are. Bama, Steeda, Lund, AED, etc. If anything, they might be able to give you a retune at your cost...but they would need a stock config...hmm, you might need the car flashed stock anyway. I'd call a tuning company to check. BAMA's phone is 1-888-226-9764
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the input! Extremely helpful! What I do love is that no matter if it's a Mustang or Trans Am gang of folks there are still good people in the world who want to help.

Like I mentioned and may have skimmed over it, but before it died the first time the electronic throttle control came on and then it died. Then after the restart which was fine the check engine light came on.

Not sure if that helps, but at least I have a direction to go with the tune possibility.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Stupid question maybe, but do the tune companies keep record by VIN #?

You kinda have an idea of where I'm going.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Um, not that I am aware of. Bama requires your PCM code, they've never asked for my VIN. I am unsure about the other companies.

It occurs to me that you've got a few options; if you want the car back to stock, a used airbox is probably a few hundred used on ebay or the swap section of this forum...assuming that you aren't running anything else engine wise, such as an aftermarket exhaust. You could install the airbox and take it to the dealer, have them reflash it to the stock configuration and bingo - stock tuned mustang for ~200 to ~300bucks.

Link to that part of the forum: Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted - Mustang Evolution

The other option is to work with a tuning company (their $$ varies, but figure 200-400 for the tuner plus the tunes) who might be able to load a generic stock configuration, plus write a few tunes for whatever mods your car has. You'd then have a mildly modded and tuned mustang for around ~400bucks.

Link to AM: Bama SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes 38018 (11-14 GT, 12-13 BOSS) - Free Shipping

If it were me, I'd go thru a tuning company first. BAMA is the one that AmericanMuscle supports, and they're the one I work with on mine. I think their 'free tunes for life' program is about 380.00 - and that includes the device.

That extra $100 is well spent.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well check this out. Went outside to start making a list of the mods and noticed something not attached very well.

Seems as if this is a good place to start on the cold air kit and start working through it.

But you all are right. Custom tune is a good place to start. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397404189.448998.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	790.9 KB
ID:	153810Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397404201.399177.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	807.0 KB
ID:	153811
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah a loose intake would cause problems no doubt! Just from the pic I see a stock throttlebody and no spacers. No oil catch can or breathers in place. Stock intake manifold too. Dusty engine bay!

Hell, if it runs great now I'd let her be. You're still sorta stuck in this situation if you decide to do any more engine work on her, though.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Best way to clean this mess? I pulled the filter and it was CAKED with leaves and the canister holding the filter was loaded with leaves.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I know what to do w/ the filter...it's the engine and the bay that I need suggestions on cleaning.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I use simple green and a few of my older microfiber towels, but mine gets wiped down every car wash. You've got quite a bit of dust in there though, might need to hit it with a hose. I'd cover the battery, intake opening, etc with some grocery bags and give it a good spraydown after letting the simple green soak for a bit. You know what shouldn't get wet, I'm sure

Occurs to me, if you've got questions about what mods you might have, take pics and post 'em. I'm sure the community is more than capable of telling you what's what.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You rock.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast1982 View Post
You rock.

Wow! You're lucky you didn't suck something into that throttle body when the intake tube was disconnected. You might want to keep an eye on that for a week or two just to make sure it doesn't come apart again.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well, now we know. Not good to run them long when they are running that lean. Glad you found the problem brother. Tighten the hell out of it
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Forgot to mention, check out my garage. I have two T/As sitting in it.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the good thing was that it was on it and not open like I showed in the picture so fortunately it was kinda resting in it so nothing shot up in there, but instead was causing my headaches.

Now the next thing is once I'm done cleaning up this bay, getting the filter all cleaned, etc that the stupid light will go off.

I wonder if I should still take it to the dealer tomorrow and act stupid and let them go over it?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Meh, if it's running fine I wouldn't bother. Go evaporate some tires, keep an eye on the idiot lights.

If it keeps giving you trouble, I still think I'd talk to a tuning company to figure out what tune is installed...you do not want to be running 87 or 91 in a 93 race tune.

Just occurred to me, some tunes raise the rev limiter a bit. Do a few pulls and see where she cuts out, maybe. Mine (a BAMA 93H tune) revs to 7250, I think stock is 7k even or so. Could also check to see if the speed limiter was removed at the same time (I recommend a very long, very straight road away from the cops -fair warning!)
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a few pics that I could get of the upgrades...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412029.643060.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	153819Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412045.799450.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	623.0 KB
ID:	153820Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412054.634561.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	153821Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412064.440696.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	714.6 KB
ID:	153822Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412072.339605.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	689.8 KB
ID:	153823
Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

One that didn't load...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397412140.477911.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	153824
Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Cops. Where we're going we don't need roads.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Are there any tuner companies I need to stay away from?

Since this will be my first go at tuning I need idiot proof type stuff.

I've always like American Muscle and the service they gave on my last '07 GT so I might start there and do some comparisons.

But any other suggestions would be great!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hot Dog! Got everything all sealed up, fired up and the check engine light is a goner and she just runs perfect.

Cleaned up the bay really nice, got the air filter all cleaned up and taken care of.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Gave me quite a few things to think about on the tuning, etc.

Might have to find a good thread on that or start one!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good to hear you got your problem solved.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah! Me too! THANK YOU to everyone who jumped in to help and give me ideas of things to look at and think about or I would have never thought twice about the intake cause it "looked" attached.

Everything was checked again to make sure it was attached.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT