Barton Short Throw Shifter Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Barton Short Throw Shifter Question

Hey! I have a 2012 GT and I'm considering buying a Barton short throw shifter. I currently have the stock shifter with the boss shift knob and boss shift boot. Will the Barton shifter work with the knob and boot or will I need to buy a whole new set up? Thanks for any help in advance! And if you guys have any pics of a similar set up with a short throw shifter, I'd love to see pics!
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

it's the same thread pitch, your setup will transfer right over

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yeah I have the same set up and it is flawless. Did you get the bracket??? It is worth it.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
you will not regret it. Love the shifter. +1 on getting the bracket though
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help so far! When I get the shifter, I will also buy the bracket, it sounds like a must! Haha
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you will really enjoy it. Hope you have a lift to do the work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
Old 04-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You don't need a lift. Jack stands work perfect.

Also get wireline trans bushing
stainless clutch line
Remove the assist spring on the clutch peddle

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
You don't need a lift. Jack stands work perfect.

Also get wireline trans bushing
stainless clutch line
Remove the assist spring on the clutch peddle

I recently got the sticky pedal issue for the 1st time this past weekend. I also just added the Whiteline bushing insert, and a McCloud SS clutchline. Does removing the helper spring make the clutch harder to push? I just got so used to how soft it is, just wondering how taking that spring off helps?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I recently got the sticky pedal issue for the 1st time this past weekend. I also just added the Whiteline bushing insert, and a McCloud SS clutchline. Does removing the helper spring make the clutch harder to push? I just got so used to how soft it is, just wondering how taking that spring off helps?
The spring is what makes the the peddle, stick to the floor on high rpm pulls. Removing this eliminates this. A little more stiff, but not much

Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

After a few runs this past summer at the track... I had the clutch stick and I freckled out... I could not get if to return for a few seconds. I took out the spring and is a DD, not a big difference, but noticeable in peddle play. I have not taken to the track, but hope it helps (not to the track until June). I have heard that the clutch line is also the problem. Good luck. Ohh, I do have the Barton shifter and bracket. Very crisp and deliberate shifts.
2013 Green GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

Get the BARTON two post shifter bracket. Worth it. Reduces missed shifts and kick back from the shifter moving around. The factory one is weak!
nando09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
MGW ftw
Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The Barton has a shorter throw compared to the MGW. I prefer the Barton personaly

Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
To each his own
Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I was ready to kill myself after I put the Barton 2 post and shifter into my car. It felt like I was driving a Cement mixer. That's all I could hear was drivetrain noise and vibration through the shifter.

Than I upgraded from stock exhaust to GT500 AB and Catless H-pipe. Now I don't hear anything but the sweet sounds of my Coyote singing. It really is a good improvement to the car over the stock junk shifter.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

How is that h pipe?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin81 View Post
I was ready to kill myself after I put the Barton 2 post and shifter into my car. It felt like I was driving a Cement mixer. That's all I could hear was drivetrain noise and vibration through the shifter.

Than I upgraded from stock exhaust to GT500 AB and Catless H-pipe. Now I don't hear anything but the sweet sounds of my Coyote singing. It really is a good improvement to the car over the stock junk shifter.
Is it really that loud in the cabin?
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^ I have the FRPP short shifter (same as Barton) and I could barely hear it. Only when you rest your hand on it does it make noise. And even then, it's the noise of the car. I actually like it. Now that I have my exhaust I REALLY can't hear it. I can never understand when people say it's so loud. I dunno maybe I'm def. lol to many concerts.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^ I have the FRPP short shifter (same as Barton) and I could barely hear it. Only when you rest your hand on it does it make noise. And even then, it's the noise of the car. I actually like it. Now that I have my exhaust I REALLY can't hear it. I can never understand when people say it's so loud. I dunno maybe I'm def. lol to many concerts.
Hi Ox, thanks for your reply. I don't mind some noise but some people's comments made me think it was extremely loud. I have Roush axle backs so I probably wouldn't hear it anyway, except maybe feel the vibration lol. ..thanks again.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

What little noise you will hear is not enough to dislike it. If its that loud check your shifter boot. I thought the Whiteline bushing made more noise than the shifter but after a week or two you will think nothing of it.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post
What little noise you will hear is not enough to dislike it. If its that loud check your shifter boot. I thought the Whiteline bushing made more noise than the shifter but after a week or two you will think nothing of it.
Thanks David, I'm leaning to the Barton because I like the short throw.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Just installed my Barton shifter today. I don't hear anything.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Just installed my Barton shifter today. I don't hear anything.

Which bracket did you install with it?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

yeah man pull the trigger. You will not be sorry at all.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Which bracket did you install with it?
Two post.

Devil Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yap, im going to pull the trigger..
Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Strider View Post
Two post.

thanks,,i will do the same,
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I have a Barton and a race spec blowfish and mine is quiet also

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I pulled the trigger today, I ordered the Barton and 2 post bracket.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Tell us what you think after you install and test drive it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tell us what you think after you install and test drive it.
I'm looking forward to it. I was debating on the MGW or the Barton. Even tho the MGW is NASA quality, I still wanted the short throw. Seems all the posters that have the Barton, swear by it. By the way, you owe me because you talked me into "Pulling the trigger" haha.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have the whiteline trans bushing? If not get it. Its cheap and easy and helps stiffen things up.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you have the whiteline trans bushing? If not get it. Its cheap and easy and helps stiffen things up.
No I don't have it yet, I read some things about it and it sounds good, I will order that too. Does it add noise or vibration? I read where some people were talking about cutting a 2 inch hole in the middle of the bushing? Maybe I read that wrong.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Hey after removing the spring do you have to lift the pedal up with your foot the next day?
Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you can remove some material from the bushing to make it quieter but again after about 2-3 weeks things settle in and it wont be an issue. I am not a fan of added noises and it subsided or I got used to it after awhile. I did not cut a hole, just installed it as it came.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT