Manual shifting pointers - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorGT View Post
After looking at the MGW and doing some research on it, it'll definitely be the one I take. Looks pretty damn solid to me, and it's a complete solution like you said.

With all these shifting questions, without getting too off-topic -- how's your gas mileage BTW? You drive a lot in the city, with traffic, so I'm wondering what numbers are you're seeing in your screen. I've so far put 850 miles on my car, and I drive 90% of the time in the city, not during major traffic jams, but still in some traffic, lights, etc. Currently seeing 13.0 mpg, and the highest I've been able to take it is 14.1 when I put in some highway miles. Of course, me learning how to properly drive my car, getting the right shifting points and all of that has an effect on my gas mileage, but 13.0 is still pretty low.

I've heard good things about MGW as well. It is a good buy.

From what I've heard during the first 1000 miles the current fuel economy reading is wrong and should show lower MPG than you are really getting. You should notice a change after you're past the break-in period (after 1000 miles). Oddly I saw the opposite though. I was getting 20-21 MPG during my first 1000 miles and now I average about 17.7. I'm not sure if it was wrong during the first 1000 or I just put my foot down more now lol. I think it could be a combo of both. When I drive super conservative I can hit 20 MPG. So anyway yeah I get 17.7 average right now driving 50/50 highway and city miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Ya that makes perfect since, thanks. And thanks for you and jeanmorissette for being understanding, I just like to have some idea of what and how to do this before I start learning so I don't mess up my friends car lol.

Okay well after practicing for a little bit I'm starting to get the hang of it. Just one thing I'm having a hard time with and that is downshifting to pass a car. So lets say I'm doing 63 on the expressway in 4th and need to pass a semi. Lets say I'm at 2500 rpm. First I take my foot off the gas and press in clutch. I then switch to 3rd, do I want to rev to say 3500 rpm while letting the clutch out?

The way I learn best it to gather as much knowledge about something beforehand so I know exactly what you mean.

As someone else said you shouldn't even need to downshift when in 4th at 63 MPH as your RPMs should be around 3k or 4k I think. That is in or really close to the power band of 4th gear so you should be able to pass any car you'd like haha. To downshift though to 3rd yes you'd want to rev about 500 to 750 RPMs (if at 63 MPH you're at 2500, then you'd want to be at least at 3k or slightly higher to downshift into 3rd) higher than what you are at in 4th. 4th is a really short gear so typically you'd have to rev 1k to downshift into any other gear, but 4th is different so keep that in mind. Once you hit the correct RPM let out the clutch.

P.S. To save gas at 63 MPH you should be in 6th. In fact you can be in 6th going as slow as 43ish MPH, which is just about 1k RPM.
mnl1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The splits on all the gears but 6th are about 1k between them. 6th being a deep overdrive means just slowing up the shift by a fraction of a second for smooth engagement, as it drops more deeply than others. That's typical American car stuff. All the bottom gears are normal somewhat close ratios and there's a deep OD up top so they can get good mileage #s for gov't tests.

My 3.73 car busted 30 mpg on a winding highway heading north of where I live last summer...mainly because I had my nervous girlfriend aboard. That's the greatest gas mileage improver ever.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Good posts from all of you guys, thanks for all the info.

Took mine this afternoon for a short road trip here in Florida and put ~100 miles total on it (now sitting at ~900 miles so far). Max I could get her to was 22.3 mpg, but I know I could've probably taken her further had the drive been longer. Will report back once I'm past the 1000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
No gas saving setting exists, technically. Setting your TC to off, with ESC on, sport mode, or advance trac off will help save gas though(if you don't spin the tires too much)and brake life. The TC engages brakes the second it thinks you MAY lose traction, which will use more gas, even when you won't lose traction, Ford programmed it ultra conservative with the TC. I had everything on and usually got 13-16 in the city, since I started using sport mode, or TC off, I've gotten about 15-19.
Tried out the steering wheel modes today on the highway and barely felt any difference to be honest, so I drove in Standard all the way. Tomorrow I'm going to test Comfort and Sport in the city and see what that feels like. What's ESC, BTW? I'm also going to check on the TC tomorrow.
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good posts from all of you guys, thanks for all the info.

Took mine this afternoon for a short road trip here in Florida and put ~100 miles total on it (now sitting at ~900 miles so far). Max I could get her to was 22.3 mpg, but I know I could've probably taken her further had the drive been longer. Will report back once I'm past the 1000 miles.

Tried out the steering wheel modes today on the highway and barely felt any difference to be honest, so I drove in Standard all the way. Tomorrow I'm going to test Comfort and Sport in the city and see what that feels like. What's ESC, BTW? I'm also going to check on the TC tomorrow.

The steering modes at lower speeds have a big difference. On comfort it is super easy to turn the wheel, standard is slightly harder, and sport is much harder. Try parking in the different modes and you should notice a huge difference. I only ever use standard. Comfort has no feel to the wheel and sport is a pain while parking.

ESC is Electronic Stability Control. ESC is used to prevent your car from spinning out during a turn. ESC and TC combine to make Ford's AdvanceTrac system.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #75
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
The 1st time my ESC kicked in I was making a 90 deg turn with the center of the corner the lowest part of the turn. I was out having fun and went in hard and accelerated in the center of the turn expecting the back end to kick out......the ESC was smart enough to brake the inside rear wheel. I was both impressed and dissapointed.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

ESC is stability control. TC is traction control. Ford calls the package Advancetrak. Both work via the ABS subsystem and no other.

Stability control stops the rear from stepping out sideways and TC stops burnouts. pretty nice to have a safety net there and it does work surprisingly transparently, unless you really try to set it off. It's a serious buzz kill at the track though, of course.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #77
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
No gas saving setting exists, technically. Setting your TC to off, with ESC on, sport mode, or advance trac off will help save gas though(if you don't spin the tires too much)and brake life. The TC engages brakes the second it thinks you MAY lose traction, which will use more gas, even when you won't lose traction, Ford programmed it ultra conservative with the TC. I had everything on and usually got 13-16 in the city, since I started using sport mode, or TC off, I've gotten about 15-19.
I wonder if you go back if your mileage will drop or stay the same...either you drive real hard so the TC comes on all the time or the mileage went up after break in.

side note: I find the V6 has a lot of rev hang which makes rev-matching on downshifts moot.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
ESC is stability control. TC is traction control. Ford calls the package Advancetrak. Both work via the ABS subsystem and no other.

Stability control stops the rear from stepping out sideways and TC stops burnouts. pretty nice to have a safety net there and it does work surprisingly transparently, unless you really try to set it off. It's a serious buzz kill at the track though, of course.
Thanks for clearing that up! Sounds like I'm going to leave TC on for my daily commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
The steering modes at lower speeds have a big difference. On comfort it is super easy to turn the wheel, standard is slightly harder, and sport is much harder. Try parking in the different modes and you should notice a huge difference. I only ever use standard. Comfort has no feel to the wheel and sport is a pain while parking.

ESC is Electronic Stability Control. ESC is used to prevent your car from spinning out during a turn. ESC and TC combine to make Ford's AdvanceTrac system.
Tried out the different steering modes in the city, and you were totally right -- big difference. Comfort feels really nice, to be honest, though I have noticed that when I take off hard on a right/left turn, the steering wheel is not 100% stable. In Standard that hasn't happened, and it makes total sense to me.

Also, I haven't hit 1000 miles yet (956 ATM), but I'm seeing a very noticeable increase in gas mileage. This started happening as soon as I got back from that little road trip I mentioned in my last post. Last couple of days I've been driving a lot harder than I normally do, and even then I'm averaging 17.3 mpg, which compared to the 13 mpgs I was seeing feels like heaven, lol. We'll see if this is temporary, though it shouldn't be.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Comfort means more PIO (pilot induced oscillation), the standard and sport settings are easier to hold a course if you are leaning into it some.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #80
Ram

Region: Texas
My clutch pedal makes a funny nosie. It gose away while depressing it but then comes back any ideas what it might be.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordito View Post
I've gone through speed bumps in 1st and 2nd but in 2nd it starts bogging so I try to do it in 1st. I've only been driving a manual transmission for 1 year though so I don't know if I'm driving it right. Lets see what others have to say on that.

After 12k miles on my GT though nothing feels like its going bad yet. (No clutch slipping yet...) So I must be driving it ok.
I do speed bumps by moving at regular speed almost up to them, put in the clutch to glide and let the car move over them by gliding and then letting the clutch out.g

I spend LOTS of time gliding. If I see a Light turn red, I put it in neutral and glide to the light and then either stop or put in the gear I need to bei n if it turned green on me while gliding. I can actually glide on a main street 2 blocks from my street,turn right on my street, glide into my driveway, and then stop, make garage door open, let off the brake and the drive way goes down and I glide to a stop in my garage.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
snip..

BTW, let me ask you (and anybody else following this thread) -- how do you take corners? Say, you're in 4th gear and will take a turn that's coming up ahead. Do you slow down, downshift to third or even second, then take the turn and apply the gas? I've found myself in similar situations but instead of downshifting (since I don't have that down to a science yet) I slow down and put the car in neutral, take the corner and then I rev match to resume in second gear. Resuming smoothly, in general, is proving to be another challenge. I guess I'm probably not rev matching enough to where the rpms should be depending on the gear I try to resume in. Any pointers on this would be awesome!
Say I am in 4th or 3rd coming into a corner in city driving (not on say a curvy road). As I approach the light I put in the clutch glide around the corner and put it in the next lower gear to start out again. Lots of gliding in city traffic I seem to have to do.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
This, really. Do your slowing down prior to the turn, and accelerate away from the apex. This isn't something you get to do much of in traffic, for obvious reasons.

Depends on your target exit speed, but I'll usually take a hairpin in 2nd. That means, I do my slowing down prior to even entering the turn and I'll downshift into 2nd, but will keep my clutch engaged until I'm ready to get back on the gas. If you nail it, you'll know. If you've got too much power, the rear end will start to slide out. Too little and you bog it down. The goal is control.

If you've got a good feel for it, some guys use engine braking to help set them up for corners instead of riding the clutch. All comes down to practice and how well you can read your car.
I agree on the down shift advise on curvy roads or road race track, but n city traffic its easier on the car and mpg to glide around the tight corners in stop and go city traffic.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
All you need to know how to drive over bumps, curbs, approach lights, and turn corners can be found in any series of Starsky & Hutch. Everyone knows this.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #85
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
My clutch pedal makes a funny nosie. It gose away while depressing it but then comes back any ideas what it might be.
more info needed.

w/o more info I'll guess throwout bearing but idk
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Normal. It shifts like a truck.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #87
Ram

Region: Texas
Well i recently installed a new clutch along with new flywheel and throw out bearing, but did not change the pilot bearing.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this forum, but not to Mustangs. I have been enjoying this thread and was hoping you guys wouldn't mind me jumping in and asking a question. I just traded my 2010 V6 automatic in for a 2014 5.0 manual. While this is not my first manual, it has been many years since I drove one regularly. I see several mentions on her about rev matching. Would someone mind going into some more details about this for me and explain what it means?
I would greatly appreciate any insights into this.
no1importa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
It's matching flywheel speed to wheel speed.

Someone will pop in here and repeat what I just said, in their own words.....go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Rev matching is matching the engine's RPMs with the tranny... oh... yeah what Comstall said
Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

So basically reving the engine after you depress the clutch before downshifting so you don't have the big lurch?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Yes think about it this way if ur going 30 mph in 3rd gear at 2000 rpm, to rev match to go to second u might need to get the rpm to around 2600-2800 so it is smoother
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Manual shifting pointers

Ok. It was one of those situations where I was already doing it but just didn't know that was what it was called, lol.
I appreciate the quick responses guys.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1importa View Post
So basically reving the engine after you depress the clutch before downshifting so you don't have the big lurch?
Yup, you got it.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My best advice for someone learning to drive standard is to feather that clutch! The key is to let off of it slowly, especially in those lower gears, while giving it gas. The concept I couldn't grasp when I was learning was, you don't just take your foot off the clutch like you would a gas pedal or a brake pedal, you need to be smooth. Be patient and try to get the "feel"! Good luck!
Stacks Warmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen View Post
My best advice for someone learning to drive standard is to feather that clutch! The key is to let off of it slowly, especially in those lower gears, while giving it gas. The concept I couldn't grasp when I was learning was, you don't just take your foot off the clutch like you would a gas pedal or a brake pedal, you need to be smooth. Be patient and try to get the "feel"! Good luck!
Very, very important indeed. Like you said, specially in the lower gears. Some of the best advice I would give to anyone who's learning how to drive stick shift.

After a month and a half since I opened this thread, I have been driving consistently and putting to practice all the tips I got from several people in here (thank you!). And honestly, I'm driving my 5.0 now as if I was driving an automatic car -- even down shifting is now a smooth process most of the time. It's pretty awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT