Manual shifting pointers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Manual shifting pointers

Hey all!

I just got my new 2014 GT last week, and ever since I've been practicing on the streets to get the hang of shifting in this bad boy. Prior to me driving this car, I had learned how to drive stick on a 2011 Kia -- quite the different experience, obviously. But anyway, my problem here is shifting from first into second gear and sometimes into third. At first, it would be hard for me to go into first gear without stalling or the car feeling shaky, but that's no longer the problem -- what's frustrating me now is second gear.

So here's my process:

- Start > go into first gear > ~@2000-2,500 rpm shift into second gear > repeat previous step for third gear.

Now, when I'm in first, let go off the gas and press the clutch all the way down to shift into second, it doesn't feel smooth (it feels kinda raspy just pressing the clutch). And when I actually pull the shifter into second and reapply the gas it's not feeling smooth either, it feels as if the shifter is having some trouble moving down into second. What do you think I'm doing wrong here? Pressing the clutch too slowly?

I've been checking other similar threads here on Mustang Evolution and have gotten some tips from them. But it'd really help me a lot if any of you guys who've owned your manual GTs for much longer than me give me some pointers to help with my shifting problem.
nestorGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Normal, nochiness feeling especially when cold. Even in 3rd. I have a 13, manual as well, and I got fet up and installed a shirt shifter and bracket. Nice n tight like the old pro 5.0s shifter feel.
GrayGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get someone in the car that has a lot of experience with driving a manual tranny and have them coach you. It is so important for you to learn it properly or you can do a lot of damage pretty quickly. Your techniques will have a direct effect on how long your clutch lasts as well as the operation of your transmission. Hard to tell what you are doing wrong or right in words, get someone in there with you to coach you hands on. I spent the better part of a full day "training" my son in neighborhoods.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Got my '13 recently and its the first car i've driven with a stick in 10 years...used to have a 2000 mustang gt. Takes some getting used to. It's worse when I change the tune to the Cam tune...especially on cold mornings.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my hints:

make sure to push the clutch in fully.......you need to use/compnsate for the centering springs ie when going from 1 to 2 make sure to keep a leftward pressure on the shifter, the springs make it want to go into the 3/4 plane. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter forward the springs will guide you into the 3/4 plane. this is also tru when downshifting if you are going from 6 to 5 push the lever forward but be sure to also push it to the right or it's easy to hit 3rd!!! I never try aiming for 3 or 4 as the springs align it if I try that is when I get blocked.

It is fussy and notchy...practice and pay attention. I find it fun to practice the 5th or 4th to 3rd downshift for passing moves on two lane blacktop roads. I also will suggest doing all the recommended "fixes"
Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Try bringing the rpms a little higher like 2750 and then going to second
Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You may want to lead the gas application a bit on the upshift. That will smooth engagement. Also, just use fingers and open palm to direct the shifter. It has narrow gates and doesn't like being manhandled. Overall, it's amazingly effective when you ditch the factory shifter bushing for a Steeda one or similar. I've shot this car down the dragstrip over 100 times without shifting problems.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Get someone in the car that has a lot of experience with driving a manual tranny and have them coach you. It is so important for you to learn it properly or you can do a lot of damage pretty quickly. Your techniques will have a direct effect on how long your clutch lasts as well as the operation of your transmission. Hard to tell what you are doing wrong or right in words, get someone in there with you to coach you hands on. I spent the better part of a full day "training" my son in neighborhoods.
This was actually a tremendous help a couple of days after I got the car. I will certainly get someone experienced in the passenger seat again and evaluate my progress. Thanks for chiming in, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
my hints:

make sure to push the clutch in fully.......you need to use/compnsate for the centering springs ie when going from 1 to 2 make sure to keep a leftward pressure on the shifter, the springs make it want to go into the 3/4 plane. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter forward the springs will guide you into the 3/4 plane. this is also tru when downshifting if you are going from 6 to 5 push the lever forward but be sure to also push it to the right or it's easy to hit 3rd!!! I never try aiming for 3 or 4 as the springs align it if I try that is when I get blocked.

It is fussy and notchy...practice and pay attention. I find it fun to practice the 5th or 4th to 3rd downshift for passing moves on two lane blacktop roads. I also will suggest doing all the recommended "fixes"
Pushing the clutch fully is definitely something that if I don't do, the experience doesn't feel smooth either. Same goes for keeping a leftward pressure on the shifter when moving between first and second gear. Good things to keep in mind all the time, specially for someone who's pretty fresh to manual shifting such as myself. Thanks for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
Try bringing the rpms a little higher like 2750 and then going to second
I gotta say that this was the key to solving my problem with moving from first to second -- or well, at least it's what I'm trying out now and is giving me very positive results. When moving from first to second gear, I'm letting now the rpms go to 3,000 and then I shift. It's very smooth compared to moving into second at the rpm level I was doing it before. I actually had a conversation about this with a GT owner that I met this morning, and he brought up exactly the same point as you did. Thanks a lot for the input, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
You may want to lead the gas application a bit on the upshift. That will smooth engagement. Also, just use fingers and open palm to direct the shifter. It has narrow gates and doesn't like being manhandled. Overall, it's amazingly effective when you ditch the factory shifter bushing for a Steeda one or similar. I've shot this car down the dragstrip over 100 times without shifting problems.
Right now I'm not shifting and applying gas very quickly; so definitely I gotta start transitioning into that more of a "natural" way of doing it. I'm sure when I get there I will feel how much smoother everything goes. As for the change of shifter, I plan to go with the Barton short-throw shifter + bracket later on. Thanks for the post!

Let me ask you guys something else -- what's usually your approach to bumps? Say, driving out of or through most communities out there, there are always these annoying speed bumps for which you gotta break. For those, I'm doing first gear and helping the car out a little with the clutch. Sometimes second gear works too, but there might be a better way to do this. And if you want to pitch in with more shifting pointers for me to keep in mind, by all means do so.

Thanks a lot fellas.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No problem man
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Manual shifting pointers

Oops double post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I've gone through speed bumps in 1st and 2nd but in 2nd it starts bogging so I try to do it in 1st. I've only been driving a manual transmission for 1 year though so I don't know if I'm driving it right. Lets see what others have to say on that.

After 12k miles on my GT though nothing feels like its going bad yet. (No clutch slipping yet...) So I must be driving it ok.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I try to hit the speed bumps at a high enough speed so my back tires clear them....jk

seriously your clutch itself feels crunchy? I haven't heard of that, you may want to try another or even better meet up with someone who has a Manual from the same era and compare....I also as you found shift at higher rpms (your mileage may vary) about the only shift I do at 2300 is when going into cruise mode.

MGW shifter ftw
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I shift usually around 3000rpms..up to 3500rpms or so. With mine lowered and long tube's, I have to creep over speed bumps...so def 1st for me.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Here's the problem - what you're supposed to do is press and hold the gas pedal firmly into the carpet fibers while driving the car at all times. Don't ever lift your foot off that pedal, even in between shifts.

Yes, they call me the Problem Solver. I got this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Do any of you other manual guys start in second when just tooling around town not "having fun". That said the shifter and bracket were great investment.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Do any of you other manual guys start in second when just tooling around town not "having fun". That said the shifter and bracket were great investment.
I have in the past. But my brother in law advised against it unless I absolutely needed to do it.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Your BIL can relax...the tiny bit of extra clutch slip needed to launch this car gently in second is immaterial.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 04-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There are many TSB's on the topic...
2011mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
with .373s, I don't see a need for 1st gear unless I'm at a complete stop. If I'm able to creep, she's in 2nd.

Speed bumps I tend to take in neutral at around 5-10mph. Again, if she's creepin along I'll pop it back into 2nd, maybe even 3rd.

A good deal of the 1-2-3 shifts were pretty terrible with the stock shifter. I've got an MGW, and it's now one of the best shifting cars I've been in.

The other pointers you've been given are pretty spot on. Try to revmatch on your shifts to make life easier, bring along a coach. I'll add one other thing: don't ride the clutch overmuch. Get her into gear, and back off the clutch pedal (you dont have to dump it, but back off it quick). The more you float it, the more you wear down your clutch plate.

Most importantly, go practice. Try some different things, get a feel for the engage/disengage point. Find out what revs you prefer to shift at. Practice a few higher rpm launches, practice dumping the clutch. The coyote is strong, but also fairly docile in her lower rpm range.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Many tsb on how to shift? There is nothing wrong with op car. He just needs to feel it out a bit and get used to it.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
with .373s, I don't see a need for 1st gear unless I'm at a complete stop. If I'm able to creep, she's in 2nd.

Speed bumps I tend to take in neutral at around 5-10mph. Again, if she's creepin along I'll pop it back into 2nd, maybe even 3rd.

A good deal of the 1-2-3 shifts were pretty terrible with the stock shifter. I've got an MGW, and it's now one of the best shifting cars I've been in.

The other pointers you've been given are pretty spot on. Try to revmatch on your shifts to make life easier, bring along a coach. I'll add one other thing: don't ride the clutch overmuch. Get her into gear, and back off the clutch pedal (you dont have to dump it, but back off it quick). The more you float it, the more you wear down your clutch plate.

Most importantly, go practice. Try some different things, get a feel for the engage/disengage point. Find out what revs you prefer to shift at. Practice a few higher rpm launches, practice dumping the clutch. The coyote is strong, but also fairly docile in her lower rpm range.
Hey thanks a lot for all the good pointers, Rynarok. I too have 3.73s, and I feel it easy to get her back into second gear and sometimes even launch her in second gear, though I tend not to do the latter too often. As far as shifting upwards goes, right now I'm feeling dramatically more confident than I did two weeks ago (and I just got back to driving her again after a week of inactivity since I was on vacation), and what I'm working on right now is actually what you mentioned -- getting the car into gear and backing off the clutch pedal as quickly as I can. Trying to reach that point where the whole concept of shifting feels like second nature. BTW, let me ask you -- when I go over speed bumps, whether that is in first or second gear, I try to help the car out a little with the clutch, otherwise at such low speeds the ride is not too smooth. Do you do this too sometimes or always pop her into neutral and then shift again?

I also just recently noticed that when I shift from 1-2-3-4 at higher rpms (say, 3,500+) everything is much more smoother. Like, I can shift very quickly without floating the clutch pedal whatsoever. It feels awesome, honestly. Kinda concerns me on the gas department, though. So right now, I guess you could say that I'm trying to smooth out shifting at lower rpms. Something else I have noticed is that when I shift usually from 1-2 or 2-3 while turning to either side on a corner, it doesn't feel smooth. I haven't figured out why yet and most likely it's just me getting used to that as well. Anybody ever had the same "issue"?

Downshifting is another thing I'm working on at the time, sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't quite do. But the more I practice it, the more I learn about how much do I have to rev match in order for the transition to a lower gear to be fluid. Any pointers on downshifting from you experienced ones on this will be awesome.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #22
Ram

I recently got a 2001 Bullitt my dream car for as long as i can remember. My biggest fear was driving a manual transmission. Never touched a manual car in all my life. Well i learned quickly, but my poor driving habits burned out my clutch. Its now been a month and i was able to buy a new clutch and flywheel. Hope to have this pony back on the streets.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
One big thing you have to watch out for with this car is going from 6th to 5th. Make sure you keep pressure to the right or you will hit 3rd and if its wet, the rear will slide. I know others have mentioned the pressure to left on 1-2 and right 5-6, I just want to chime in on how important it is not to go from 6th to 3rd on accident.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

@RAM: sorry to hear that, hope you get your pony back on the streets ASAP!

@Green5.0: thanks for that, I know it's really *important* and it's something I must keep in mind at all times until all of this becomes second nature to me.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Ram

Thanks @nestorgt
Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
Ram

Thanks @nestorgt
Old 04-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestorGT View Post
BTW, let me ask you -- when I go over speed bumps, whether that is in first or second gear, I try to help the car out a little with the clutch, otherwise at such low speeds the ride is not too smooth. Do you do this too sometimes or always pop her into neutral and then shift again?
I do my slowing down prior to the speedbumps (how much depends on how big the damn thing is). I slow down, and either go into neutral, 2nd, or 3rd and coast while going over it. It depends on the speed, and what lies immediately beyond the speedbump. This is a good concept for driving in general - slow down before the obstacle (such as bumps, curves, etc) and smoothly accelerate through and away from it.

Shifting lower in the RPMs is giving you trouble? My normal day to day driving shift points are anywhere from 2500 to 3000-3500. Anything lower and you arent accelerating at a rate consistent with traffic, and there isn't much reason to go more aggressive while driving on chicago-area roads. Remember, figure about a 1k rpm gap between gears. A 4000rpm in 3rd is about 3000rpm in 4th, so let the rpm drop a touch before pushing it into the next higher gear - that should smooth things out a bit.

The reverse is true about downshifting. 4000rpm in 4th gear is roughly 5000 in 3rd, so try to match the engine speed before mashing it into gear.

Remember, though; a cold transmission is going to be somewhat twitchy compared to one that's warmed up (the MT82 especially, imo). A bit of choppiness is to be expected in the first 5-10minutes of driving it.

Practice!
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Shifting fast at around 2500-3000 rpm is smooth and fun, but when I launch my car and shift at the red line, it is really jerky and not smooth at all. How can I improve on this?
DDAintJoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

U might be getting on the gas too soon before u let off the clutch
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll try that next time
DDAintJoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

or more likely not soon enough.....

Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
I do my slowing down prior to the speedbumps (how much depends on how big the damn thing is). I slow down, and either go into neutral, 2nd, or 3rd and coast while going over it. It depends on the speed, and what lies immediately beyond the speedbump. This is a good concept for driving in general - slow down before the obstacle (such as bumps, curves, etc) and smoothly accelerate through and away from it.

Shifting lower in the RPMs is giving you trouble? My normal day to day driving shift points are anywhere from 2500 to 3000-3500. Anything lower and you arent accelerating at a rate consistent with traffic, and there isn't much reason to go more aggressive while driving on chicago-area roads. Remember, figure about a 1k rpm gap between gears. A 4000rpm in 3rd is about 3000rpm in 4th, so let the rpm drop a touch before pushing it into the next higher gear - that should smooth things out a bit.

The reverse is true about downshifting. 4000rpm in 4th gear is roughly 5000 in 3rd, so try to match the engine speed before mashing it into gear.

Remember, though; a cold transmission is going to be somewhat twitchy compared to one that's warmed up (the MT82 especially, imo). A bit of choppiness is to be expected in the first 5-10minutes of driving it.

Practice!
Thanks again for the tips, man. I've been putting them to practice and they're helping me out a lot. Right now my shifting is getting so much more smoother, and that's also because I'm starting to hit the gas when I'm probably 60-70% with the left foot easing off the clutch (and putting pressure on it), as opposed to hitting the gas as I start to release the clutch, if that makes sense. Really putting some big smiles on my face from how smoothly I'm starting to shift. It's gotten to the point where shifting to 4th gear is so damn smooth that my friends say it feels like it's an automatic car! Still working on perfecting 2nd and 3rd, though.

I've also gone ahead and driven around some areas with speed bumps, and I find it comfortable to go over them in first or second gear while helping out the car a little with the clutch. Sometimes when the distance between each bump is considerable, I just pop her into neutral and break to slow down.

BTW, let me ask you (and anybody else following this thread) -- how do you take corners? Say, you're in 4th gear and will take a turn that's coming up ahead. Do you slow down, downshift to third or even second, then take the turn and apply the gas? I've found myself in similar situations but instead of downshifting (since I don't have that down to a science yet) I slow down and put the car in neutral, take the corner and then I rev match to resume in second gear. Resuming smoothly, in general, is proving to be another challenge. I guess I'm probably not rev matching enough to where the rpms should be depending on the gear I try to resume in. Any pointers on this would be awesome!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

You can down shift to 3rd, or even second if you want but I would downshift before you get to the turn. I would blip the throttle a little so it's not as harsh, after time u will perfect this and you could even move on to something more advanced. I usually heel and toe when I come to a corner.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
You can down shift to 3rd, or even second if you want but I would downshift before you get to the turn. I would blip the throttle a little so it's not as harsh, after time u will perfect this and you could even move on to something more advanced. I usually heel and toe when I come to a corner.
This, really. Do your slowing down prior to the turn, and accelerate away from the apex. This isn't something you get to do much of in traffic, for obvious reasons.

Depends on your target exit speed, but I'll usually take a hairpin in 2nd. That means, I do my slowing down prior to even entering the turn and I'll downshift into 2nd, but will keep my clutch engaged until I'm ready to get back on the gas. If you nail it, you'll know. If you've got too much power, the rear end will start to slide out. Too little and you bog it down. The goal is control.

If you've got a good feel for it, some guys use engine braking to help set them up for corners instead of riding the clutch. All comes down to practice and how well you can read your car.
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I just have two questions when you press the clutch fully in and switch gears do you hit the gas as soon as you let off the clutch or do you wait to hit the gas until you reach the engagement point on the clutch?

Also do you need to go 6-5-4-3-2-N or can you just go 6-N, I now these are dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn how to drive stick on a friends car lol

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT