Is this a good price for a shop to do the install?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Is this a good price for a shop to do the install??

I have a guy I have used that has always been good to me on price He said $750 about to install all the below items. He said if takes less than he figured would charge less but that only happened once. Never charged more than quoted.

2 - Shocks
2 - Struts
4 - Springs
Front Sway Bar
Rear Sway Bar
(all of the above is from Eibach Pro System Plus)
J&M Extreme Joint Rear LCA
Steeda Adjustable UCA
J&M adjustable Pan Hard bar
Full 4 wheel alignment

Good price? Or at least average?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I would call around and get a couple other quotes so you know what shops in your area are charging. Also if you could do some of the control arms yourself...it could save you a little money plus give you experience working on the stang.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
that's a lot of stuff for him to swap out. I say that's a reasonable price.
You could probably do most of that stuff your self with basic tools but
if you feel more comfortable having your mechanic do it then yah sure.
could always get a quote at one more shop and if its give or take the same
then go with your guy... if its more.. then you know he hooks you up
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I have a guy I have used that has always been good to me on price He said $750 about to install all the below items. He said if takes less than he figured would charge less but that only happened once. Never charged more than quoted.

2 - Shocks
2 - Struts
4 - Springs
Front Sway Bar
Rear Sway Bar
(all of the above is from Eibach Pro System Plus)
J&M Extreme Joint Rear LCA
Steeda Adjustable UCA
J&M adjustable Pan Hard bar
Full 4 wheel alignment

Good price? Or at least average?
seems high, are you not able to do any of it, like the easier stuff?
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

My guess is a competent shop should take about 5-6 hours for all listed. Seems a bit high for shop hourly rate to me. Hell, all that plus full exhaust and MGW took me only 10 hours in my garage with jack and stand alone.
Troy
Old 04-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I am just nervous to do without allot of tools, no lift and no jack stands. My girlfriends son's best friend works on cars aloot, his whole family does. Maybe talk to him about "renting" his lift. That and tools are the main thing. Just been a long time since I wrenched lol.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i'd invest in a lift and jack stands. That way you can have it and do a couple things on your own and save what you wouldve spent on that part of the install and have a lift and stands to show for it...along with the parts installed.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
buy everything you need from walmart then return it after looool
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I had all that work done minus the sway bars for $550 at my local shop.
2014GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you have enough to buy the things you listed... 750.00, for install is not bad. I am in the same place. I like working on my car, but can't stand it when I don't have the correct tool, space, or time (DD). If it were me I would shop around at all speed shops. Then chose the one you feel comfortable at. Good luck.
2013 Green GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

If the install is somewhat simple, I go out and buy the tool...thus saving in paying a shop and have the tool for later. I did that with my bike and now have quite a few things accumulated.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

People will always give you the "do it yourself" response. To answer your question, that quote is not unreasonable. I would shop around but worst case, it isn't an outrageous quote.
Crewchief15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You probably can find a little better price, but with full alignment included, its not too bad. If you don't have the tools, this may be a bit much for you to DIY right away. I would however do what some have posted here for the future. Buy yourself a good jack and four jack stands. It will save you down the road and you will learn a lot about your car.
This is precisely why we do most all of our work ourselves. I use this to give my son knowledge and an understanding about his car and how everything works. Having a complete understanding of how your car works and when something is amiss can be invaluable.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's not bad that's like 7 hours labor
red vert 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Having a complete understanding of how your car works and when something is amiss can be invaluable.
I agree and this is actually my one thing making me wonder. I have two boys and am always explaining car stuff to them. I actually graduated an automotive school then decided to go a different route in life. All good thoughts guys. Thank you
Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What always gets me is how we so easily surrender our self reliance for convenience. I feel somewhat privileged, looking back, that cars sucked so bad and we actually had to work on them, because they broke all the time. We weren't getting to work, school or, more importantly, the girlfriend's house, otherwise.

Nowadays's we gleefully sign over our independence to our smart phone, our automobile, our tax service, whatever. It's a thousand little steps backward and what I love about this hobby is there's a little pocket of self reliant resistance still holding out here.

I teach auto shop so, that suggests kind of where I'm coming from with this. No offense to the OP. Anything you want to try, lots of people, including me, will be here to help.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

True 5LHO. My dad could not wrench ANYTHING. My grandfather on the other hand could fix anything. I would live with my grandparents the summers. My friends there and I all had mini bikes. We literally learned all of our mechanic skills from taking stuff apart and putting it back together. We modded EVERYTHING, bicycles dirt bikes, you name it. My son at 14, knew nothing about working on a car but was already a car freak. He over the last four years has become a good mechanic. He has gone from my tool getter to leading the way on a lot of our projects. When he finishes finals in a couple of weeks, we will be doing a super charger install on this car together. With information that is out there today, it is MUCH easier to DIY than what it has been in the past.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd say that quote is fairly reasonable, given the amount of lift time required. Other guys have made a good point though - doing it yourself is both cheaper and you get invaluable experience.

That said (I got some things to learn, too!) how are you guys doing springs + shocks/struts without a spring compressor? I managed to install my own springs on my old SRT4, but that was at the base's auto shop and with the assistance of several old gearheads and a full mechanic's toolset.

Are you simply seating it and using a jack to compress it, or am I overthinking it?
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, use the jack under the lca to unload the spring.
Troy

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Yep, use the jack under the lca to unload the spring.
Troy
Old 04-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You can rent a compressor cheap or buy one. It's a lot safer and less likely to leave you with damaged parts.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Make sure to add new strut mounts to that list. It'd be bad to pay all that money for the install to have to turn around and rip the front suspension back out to replace them later. If you reuse your factory strut mounts, they will fail.
And I hope you have a plan to correct camber up front after the swap. You could go the cheap and easy way with Camber Bolts, or you could go the more pricey and correct way with some Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates. This will also kill two birds with one stone. It'll insure proper alignment up front and replace your strut mounts.
The most time consuming thing to this install is the UCA. A competent mechanic with a lift and all the right tools could do all this in 4 hours or less. If I had to pay someone, I wouldn't pay a penny more then $500 for everything, including the alignment.
Do yourself a huge favor...

-Jack
-Jack Stands
-Basic Sockets and Wrenches
-Torque Wrench
-Spring Compressor
-A Saturday
-And a few beers

Job done for half or less then what your going to pay someone else.

Good Luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT