Ticking sound - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
2014 gt with 2500 miles. I have a slight tick too. seems to be more on the drivers side. swapped my oil out for redlines 5w50 and is still there and not any louder. It is nothing like the video posted.
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm at 2,300 miles, sounds like the tick is getting worse, I'm waiting till 3,000 miles to do my first oil change. It's not right that some dealerships actually try to help fix it while others are telling people it's "normal." We need to petition Ford to do a recall or give everyone who has the ticking a new motor, as that seems to be the only solution so far.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
I'm at 2,300 miles, sounds like the tick is getting worse, I'm waiting till 3,000 miles to do my first oil change. It's not right that some dealerships actually try to help fix it while others are telling people it's "normal." We need to petition Ford to do a recall or give everyone who has the ticking a new motor, as that seems to be the only solution so far.

Unless the new motor starts the same ticking...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dudley279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, here's what happened today. I dropped off my wife at a boutique, parked the car, rolled down the windows and turned the car off. After a couple of minutes, I heard the ticking sound. Mine is more of a "tink" .....like shooting a beer can with a BB gun. Anyhow, I'm guessing this a catalytic converter or heat shield cooling off. With the windows rolled down, the "tinking" was not as loud, but definitely there. Anybody with the ticking try shutting off the engine and listening?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post
Ok, here's what happened today. I dropped off my wife at a boutique, parked the car, rolled down the windows and turned the car off. After a couple of minutes, I heard the ticking sound. Mine is more of a "tink" .....like shooting a beer can with a BB gun. Anyhow, I'm guessing this a catalytic converter or heat shield cooling off. With the windows rolled down, the "tinking" was not as loud, but definitely there. Anybody with the ticking try shutting off the engine and listening?

What you're hearing there is normal on all cars. It's the natural cooling process of the metal. I believe our ticks are more so related to a mechanical ticking. However I do agree it sounds very similar.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yeah the ticking that I can hear at idle and during take off is inconsistent and continues after the engine is off - at least they sound very very similar.. Whether I have both types of "ticking" I don't know.. But it doesn't seem to affect performance that I can notice.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #112

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hctr154 View Post

Check out my video on the end of page 3.
It is directly related to:
1) engine being on
2) RPM makes it worse (listen closely to 1st video 25 and 35 seconds both at around 1100 RPM)
3) but not consistent with RPM (sometimes very often, sometimes only 4-5 ticks)
Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I believe the tick might be related to the vvti system. Not completely sure how the system is on our 5 liters, but many systems use oil pressure to open and close the second valves. This ram may make a bit of noise. I have pretty much been convinced that is what it is.
Troy
Btw, mine ticked pretty much from the dealer with 15 miles, until now with 19k, and full bolt ons. Mobil 1 5w30.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdown View Post
Hi Guys,

I too just joined this forum only to keep this thread moving.

1) I have the tick.
2) 2014 GT (17,500 miles)
3) Built: 05/13, bought 06/13 with 7 miles on it.
4) Dealer: 1st oil change (3,300 miles)
Dealer: 2nd oil change (9999 miles)
-TICK BEGINS (10,300 miles)
Disappears at 13000~ish
Dealer: 3rd oil change (15500 miles)
-TICK RETURNS much worse (15700 miles)
Dealer: They give me the normal dealer bull****.

5) Tick is very quiet during fully warm conditions or fully cold.
The Tick its absolutely unbearable under specific conditions below:
Car has been driven til fully warm, then let to cool for 1hr-5hrs.
Upon start up (for lunch for example) the car will tick rapidly for up to 10 minutes before calming down again.

6) You can hear it over my Roush mufflers (only mod).... so embarassing next to the 4 other 2011-2014 GTs at my work . Get nothing but WTF's from my coworkers...

Then you have 4 other people to go with you to the dealership to show it isn't normal.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0.Rly View Post
Then you have 4 other people to go with you to the dealership to show it isn't normal.
If u show up with four ppl with ticks then it could be construed as normal. Show up with three others without ticks then it'll be abnormal
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
If u show up with four ppl with ticks then it could be construed as normal. Show up with three others without ticks then it'll be abnormal
+1
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
He is talking about the 4 other mustangs at my work that don't tick.
And they acknowledged the ticking as "not normal", but they were very unwilling to dig into the issue. They had the car for almost 2 weeks and I could hardly get them to look at it or replicate the issue. I had to replicate it for them twice. Not worth my time taking it in when I use this as a daily driver and I need to be at work. Now that I'm at 18k miles the ticking is calm. Either way, I'll be taking it in after the next oil change and escalating the issue with FORD.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
So neither the dealers or folks here have stethoscope it? Ford Dealers even have a wireless unit for picking up noises like the Lower Control Arm bushing noise problem.

Sounds like a combo of a CatCON making noise along the the cam phaser/solenoid in the TiVCT. But thats just me. At one point I think I hear a cam noise I have heard before and other times I hear the tink of a CatCon honeycomb making noise. I am not an expert, just thinking here.

My car has made the CatCon tick sound only once in a while and while i was backing out of my driveway cold. And it also tinks when cooling down in the garage when engine turned off which is normal.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
So neither the dealers or folks here have stethoscope it? Ford Dealers even have a wireless unit for picking up noises like the Lower Control Arm bushing noise problem.

Sounds like a combo of a CatCON making noise along the the cam phaser/solenoid in the TiVCT. But thats just me. At one point I think I hear a cam noise I have heard before and other times I hear the tink of a CatCon honeycomb making noise. I am not an expert, just thinking here.

My car has made the CatCon tick sound only once in a while and while i was backing out of my driveway cold. And it also tinks when cooling down in the garage when engine turned off which is normal.

Art
Yeah, I was thinking it was the CATs also since it sounded so similar at first. But its much louder than the normal CAT noise (shut down noise).

It then really only bothers me when it ticks rapidly, WITH engine RPM. Under light load you can hear a Constant "tap tap tap" that does not sound heat related at all and is NOT normal fuel injector noise.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

I'm about to get my first oil change at 1000 miles. Should I expect to hear this? Is there something I should tell the Ford dealership? What is this ticking sound like exactly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Sounds like metal cooling /contacting.. Like a bb bouncing off a metal can.. Mine does at least

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
I'm about to get my first oil change at 1000 miles. Should I expect to hear this? Is there something I should tell the Ford dealership? What is this ticking sound like exactly?

It sounds exactly like my video at the end of page 3.
No known causes yet... No one knows what it is. Happens after first or second oil change.
(That's the sound over the Roush mufflers)
Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Is it remotely possible that a loose CatCon honeycomb could be vibrating with engine RPM due to exhaust pressure? This is so simple it cant possibly be true?

[no this is not in response to the oil change tick issue I think is different.]
Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Will ford dealerships do oil changes using different oil, instead of Motorcraft oil? If using redline oil is better, can I bring that to them and ask them to use that? I'm really hesitant on getting my first oil change. I'm at 1200 miles with no ticks. (Knock on wood)

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will ford dealerships do oil changes using different oil, instead of Motorcraft oil? If using redline oil is better, can I bring that to them and ask them to use that? I'm really hesitant on getting my first oil change. I'm at 1200 miles with no ticks. (Knock on wood)

X2

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I can say my tick has nothing to do with an oil change because I have not even changed it yet and it started at around 1,500 miles. I'm sure Ford knows about this ticking issue, but is just not doing anything to investigate it or trying to find a fix because it has not caused any major problems so far.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Is it remotely possible that a loose CatCon honeycomb could be vibrating with engine RPM due to exhaust pressure? This is so simple it cant possibly be true?

[no this is not in response to the oil change tick issue I think is different.]
Art
Wouldn't that be a relief. Yet for a piece of ceramic to vibrate like to make that sound...it just seems that the honeycomb wouldn't have the space to move to make a singular snapping sound like that instead of a higher frequency noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdown View Post
He is talking about the 4 other mustangs at my work that don't tick.
And they acknowledged the ticking as "not normal", but they were very unwilling to dig into the issue. They had the car for almost 2 weeks and I could hardly get them to look at it or replicate the issue. I had to replicate it for them twice. Not worth my time taking it in when I use this as a daily driver and I need to be at work. Now that I'm at 18k miles the ticking is calm. Either way, I'll be taking it in after the next oil change and escalating the issue with FORD.
That's too bad they won't take the time to help you out. At least they can see it's not normal. The best consolation you have, is that if this does any damage to your engine you have 42000 miles left for it to materialize.

It seems to me there's little chance Ford doesn't know about this, but if they don't say anything it doesn't matter.

The most disappointing possibility is that we get a tsb like that for the 6.7 liter diesel. I posted a thread on another forum and someone replied with this video they'd taken of their truck:

And this comment (oddly everywhere I look on the internet the almost incomprehensibility of the typing of that tsb remains. Not sure why:

Quote:
Here's the TSB that went out...and told dealers to Not Try and Fix it:

6.7L DIESEL—TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE TSB 10-19-2
FORD:
2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550
ISSUE Dealers should not attempt to compare any
Some 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect similarity to the sound of random typing on a conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that Typewriter Noise is a normal operating
when near a building, wall or drive through window, characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has that this noise can be heard from inside the cab. no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is
ACTION characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will
Follow the Service Information to inform the typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil
customer of the characteristic. change maintenance interval.
SERVICE INFORMATION Refer to vehicle Owner Guides and Maintenance
Guides for approved engine oil viscosities and
The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft usage information. Use of different oil viscosities will
journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block not eliminate this noise and is not recommended.
produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. Customers should be informed that these conditions
The overall noise reduction in engines produced do not affect engine durability and no repairs are
today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it necessary.

was present in prior model year vehicles, but
masked by other noises in the past. Because the WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only - Not
6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design Warrantable
improvements to reduce diesel engine noise,
Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on
previous products. Typewriter Noise is not
detrimental to engine function or durability. Other
manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the
presence of this condition for a number of years.
Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine
contributes to perceived differences in noise
intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F
(65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to
approximately 1700 RPM’s), this noise can typically
be heard at the front wheel well and is often
isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan
area.
#

It seems that Ford has changed a design or specs across more than one line of vehicles. I have it in my 2011 F 350.....but my Boss has less than 4,000 miles and I have not noticed it there.....Yet. I can tell you it's fairly noticeable in my truck after an oil change....more so than the video of the GT.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Was that written in India!?? Lol! Serious attention span issues from Ford.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

I've got this dreaded tick. 2014 5200 miles. I stopped on the side of the highway today after a rocker bounced off the windshield to make sure there was t a crack. Immediately noticed it when I got out. It's exactly like the video posted, doesn't match rpm's just the "cooling metal" tick. No way that's normal and no way I can live with that on my brand new Mustang. I'm going to take it to the nearest dealer with a nice service facility. My dealer we buy vehicles from for the ranch is small no service just sales but gives awesome prices for us cuntry' folk. Oddly my last oil change was from the same place I'll take it in to be looked at. I sure hope I don't get a run around. An hour to the dealer is a pain. I'd hate to have to start loading it up on a trailer to go 2-4 hours to try and find some help. What a disappointment. Going to bug me to death now.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Ford has got to know about this issue by now. If they do, are going to do anything about it? Shouldn't they send a letter out to all mustang owners of a recall or something of that nature and fix the problem right away.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford has got to know about this issue by now. If they do, are going to do anything about it? Shouldn't they send a letter out to all mustang owners of a recall or something of that nature and fix the problem right away.

You would think.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

I hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare. If this dealership is a pain it will be awful for me to go to another. I'll have to go no less than 2 hours or to Dallas at 4 hours. So I'm praying these guys are good to me.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarskringspier View Post
I hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare. If this dealership is a pain it will be awful for me to go to another. I'll have to go no less than 2 hours or to Dallas at 4 hours. So I'm praying these guys are good to me.
Hope everything goes well. Please keep us updated.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Well, I just got my car back after taking it in Thursday 8-14-14 for the intermittent tick noise. Good thing was service rep could hear the tick when I brought it in. He also agreed that something wasn't right at that time. They replaced a canister purge and called to say that probably wasn't it cause rep said he could still hear tick. They then looked at lifters and said that they were performing normally. Then they cut open oil filter per ford request and didn't see any metal. And so they gave me the car back. It definitely isn't making the noise now as much as when I gave it to them. When I drove it home I heard a tick or two but nothing like before and this I could live with as normal engine. However, I'm not sure if this problem is completely gone since what they told me they did shouldn't affectively fix a tick sound. Now if they did something else to fix the issue and didn't tell me then maybe that will correct this problem. But it doesn't seem that what they did would fix anything. Maybe they fixed a stuck lifter. Is that possible? Hopefully it's fixed.

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I really think we just have to chalk this tick up as "normal" as annoying as that may be. Guys have been running with the tick for 10s of thousands of miles and no performance loss or hinderence.

I would like to believe Ford would fix the problem but I don't think they know what the problem actually is!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

What I want to know is what percentage of 5.0s out there have the tick and don't. If all 5.0s have it then it's normal but if only a small percentage does then it really means something.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What I want to know is what percentage of 5.0s out there have the tick and don't. If all 5.0s have it then it's normal but if only a small percentage does then it really means something.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have a tick, never have.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
there is a viral video out, shows a mechanic at a ford dealership getting rid of the tick, apparently just red line your car for a good 20 minute drive and should clean all the carbon out
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
there is a viral video out, shows a mechanic at a ford dealership getting rid of the tick, apparently just red line your car for a good 20 minute drive and should clean all the carbon out
Haha, yeah, and go through H*ll with the dealership.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT