Ticking sound - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
I don't have a tick, never have.

How many miles do you have?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post

That's gotta be the fastest response ever

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I set a record!
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I'm curious to see the % of mustangs with a tick too, someone start a poll!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I'd also be curious to know what oil everyone is running cause after last oil change it was very loud and more frequent.
I run motor craft (5-50)and have dealer change it, at least so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #147

Region: Other
I saw a poll on some other forums can't remember where. But as far as I remember it was something like 300+- didn't have ticking noise and like 200+- had the ticking noise.
MarioGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

That is a big majority, like 40%.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
That is a big majority, like 40%.
Technically anything below 50% even 49.999999999999999% or less is a minority.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Technically anything below 50% even 49.999999999999999% or less is a minority.
Ha, yes, I meant to say about 40% with ticking engines was more than I expected, so yes, majority do not have it, but that is a still a lot of tickers.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
Ha, yes, I meant to say about 40% with ticking engines was more than I expected, so yes, majority do not have it, but that is a still a lot of tickers.
Yes lol either way 40% is a helluva lot! Honestly even if its 50/50 it can't be normal if you really think about it.

Its like buying a steak at a steakhouse and half the time its pan seared and the other half its flame grilled and you order the same steak same item all the time lol

Its cooked and technically edible but something's not right in the whole process of making the steak
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sort of irritating knowing that anybody with a 5.0 motor has the same odds of a coin toss when it comes to a ticker or not. Ford has got to do something about this.

How about other owners who don't go on forums. I wonder what they're thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
Sort of irritating knowing that anybody with a 5.0 motor has the same odds of a coin toss when it comes to a ticker or not. Ford has got to do something about this.

How about other owners who don't go on forums. I wonder what they're thinking.

Certainly is irritating. Even when the car isn't making the tick in the video I posted, the valvetrain makes more noise now than it used to. I'm a day or so away from 50000 miles, so maybe that's to be expected. My last car went 100,000miles with not a sound from the engine out the ordinary. Then again it was a Scion tc and burned oil badly from the start. Until it burned it so quickly the bearings went, only 2000 miles into the oil life...
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0.Rly View Post
Certainly is irritating. Even when the car isn't making the tick in the video I posted, the valvetrain makes more noise now than it used to. I'm a day or so away from 50000 miles, so maybe that's to be expected. My last car went 100,000miles with not a sound from the engine out the ordinary. Then again it was a Scion tc and burned oil badly from the start. Until it burned it so quickly the bearings went, only 2000 miles into the oil life...
Hey I noticed your from the eastbay. I am also from the eastbay. What part are you from? Do you belong to any car clubs?

Old 08-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Here's another question. Has anyone with a boss or aluminator motor developed a tick?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Here's another question. Has anyone with a boss or aluminator motor developed a tick?

2014 5.OHHHHHH
The person who posted about the 6.7 diesels getting the 'typewriter tick' that sounds like ours mentioned he has a low mileage boss, but I think he said it hasn't started ticking.

Renuco, I'm from the Contra Costa area, you?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Renuco, I'm from the Contra Costa area, you?
From Union City. Just wondering how is the dealership you bought your Mustang? Any known other owners from around the area with ticking 5.0s?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Mine comes and goes... It goes away once the oil "settles" in.. You have to run it like 200 miles or so once you do a new oil change and it will go away.. Mine started around 2,500 miles during the first oil change and it comes back and goes away after driving it for a while after I change the oil. I also took it in to the dealer and they said that ford was going to "investigate" almost a year later I haven't heard back from them.

I let it go since as stated before it goes away and my car has no problems and it pulls pretty strong, strong enough for the other 5.0 drivers to ask if I have anything done to my car because mine seems to move out a little better. My ticking isn't terrible either, you can hear it but you have to pay attention to it otherwise you'll never know it's there but like I said before, after driving it for a while it will completely go away and you'll hear nothing.

BTW now my car has 25k miles took it in to the dealer at around 2,800 - 3k miles.
Red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #159

Angry Help! My 2003 Ford Mustang GT Making Engine Noise

Hey, Just purchased a 2003 Ford Mustang GT this year with 109k miles on it. The dealership in Hayward said it was owned by a
master mechanic. I think not. Car is making major engine noise after
4 months. Can someone listen and give me some advice. I'm 17 yrs
old so I don't have a lot of money.

What's wrong with my engine !! - YouTube

Thanks

Dre
andrehill96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrehill96 View Post
Hey, Just purchased a 2003 Ford Mustang GT this year with 109k miles on it. The dealership in Hayward said it was owned by a
master mechanic. I think not. Car is making major engine noise after
4 months. Can someone listen and give me some advice. I'm 17 yrs
old so I don't have a lot of money.

What's wrong with my engine !! - YouTube

Thanks

Dre

Someone in here may be able to help but you may also want to post in the section for your cars year as there may be more people familiar with the issue.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Dude. Wow. I'm sorry that poor car sounds bad to me. But I'm no mechanic. Looks like it had a hard life. I'd be taking it to dealer. Sorry man I wish you best

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

I just watched the video. I would drag that thing back to the dealer. It sounds pretty bad.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 08-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

I've got an appointment for Thursday to have them listen to it. Guy on the phone sounded nice and said from what I said it didn't sound normal so I have some hope maybe it will get some serious attention not just glossed over we will see.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck, let us know how it goes, I took my to the dealership and they acknowledged there was a ticking and said they would try replacing some parts, after a week later, they did absolutely nothing and then told me it was normal.

Plus, I just installed my GT500 axle backs this weekend, and it is nowhere loud enough to drown out the ticking, the beautiful sound of the exhaust ruined by the sound of the ticking, ack!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From Union City. Just wondering how is the dealership you bought your Mustang? Any known other owners from around the area with ticking 5.0s?

I bought my car from Fremont Ford. I've never been back because it's 40 miles away from me. I took it to Walnut Creek Ford for the ticking, but when I got there the car wasn't making the noise sadly.

Since the dealership put the semi synthetic motorcraft oil in despite my request I switched it out today for mobile one synthetic API SN and above certified, meeting the requirements of Ford WSSM2C945A, and the ticking is back with the proverbial vengeance.

I was going to go to the dealership, but I have a half hour until the service dept. closes, so I figured I'd wait until the morning. No one with this noise has ever had a resolution, so I wonder what's the point?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

I think the point is to at least get it documented that you tried to get it fixed and nothing was done. I'm sure Ford is aware of the ticking complaint by now, either they are trying to figure out the cause or they just don't care.

Nothing ever goes wrong till the warranty runs out, I would want as much of us to have some proof that we tried to get it fixed, and make Ford have responsibility if the engines start failing because of problems related to the ticking.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Mine went back in today. They are tearing it down. Will keep you posted.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought my car from Fremont Ford. I've never been back because it's 40 miles away from me. I took it to Walnut Creek Ford for the ticking, but when I got there the car wasn't making the noise sadly.

Since the dealership put the semi synthetic motorcraft oil in despite my request I switched it out today for mobile one synthetic API SN and above certified, meeting the requirements of Ford WSSM2C945A, and the ticking is back with the proverbial vengeance.

I was going to go to the dealership, but I have a half hour until the service dept. closes, so I figured I'd wait until the morning. No one with this noise has ever had a resolution, so I wonder what's the point?
I also bought mine from Fremont Ford. Have to get my first oil change sometime soon. I'm at 1400 miles. Good to know another buyer from the same dealer. We can both go I there pissed off if we need to.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I also bought mine from Fremont Ford. Have to get my first oil change sometime soon. I'm at 1400 miles. Good to know another buyer from the same dealer. We can both go I there pissed off if we need to.

Small world, eh? As long as yours stays tick free that would be an interesting situation. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

So here's the video I took today after changing my oil and taking it on a drive. 8 Quarts Mobile 1, even flushed out the old oil with an extra two quarts of mobile one I had on hand (I just poured it in after the old oil had fully drained out, didn't start the car or anything like that. I've never tried to wash my engine by putting a garden hose in the intake fwiw).

Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Small world, eh? As long as yours stays tick free that would be an interesting situation. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

So here's the video I took today after changing my oil and taking it on a drive. 8 Quarts Mobile 1, even flushed out the old oil with an extra two quarts of mobile one I had on hand (I just poured it in after the old oil had fully drained out, didn't start the car or anything like that. I've never tried to wash my engine by putting a garden hose in the intake fwiw).

I should ask a buddy of mine that works at Fremont ford if he has heard anything about it. I was wondering, do ford dealerships give you the option of what type of oil to put in. Do they have a good oil or better oil option.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I should ask a buddy of mine that works at Fremont ford if he has heard anything about it. I was wondering, do ford dealerships give you the option of what type of oil to put in. Do they have a good oil or better oil option.

Conventional or synthetic. All motorcraft.

Definitely ask. It'd be interesting to see what he says.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sound is brutal and the exact same sound mine made. I do have to say since they looked at my car on Thursday and Friday of last week that I don't have this sound anymore. I do hear a tick or two after I finish a drive and I'm in my garage but not like it was. They told me that they looked at the lifters but saw that they were working properly but my engine now sounds way different then it did before it went in. I think they did something but didn't admit to doing anything so that a problem wasn't confirmed by them. I'm not totally convinced that this problem won't reappear but so far so good.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 AM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would like to think that mine also sounded this loud the first time I changed it which was with mobile 1 as well. After that I just went back to motorcraft and its been a lot quieter after I change it until it ends up going away completely after driving it for a while.
Red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post
That sound is brutal and the exact same sound mine made. I do have to say since they looked at my car on Thursday and Friday of last week that I don't have this sound anymore. I do hear a tick or two after I finish a drive and I'm in my garage but not like it was. They told me that they looked at the lifters but saw that they were working properly but my engine now sounds way different then it did before it went in. I think they did something but didn't admit to doing anything so that a problem wasn't confirmed by them. I'm not totally convinced that this problem won't reappear but so far so good.
How many miles did they drive the car? Since they looked at your lifters and they were operating well, what did the dealership charge you for the look? I'm under the impression that diagnostic work that turns up a normal engine is on you. Some aver it just needs to be driven hard. I drove the car a few hundred miles after my last oil change and by that time the sound was less frequent, and the dealership heard nothing.

Glad to hear your engine sounds much better. Maybe a lifter adjustment? Maybe they needed to burn off some carbon? Either way, I hope that tomorrow I get something positive out my visit to the dealer. They told me to bring it back if it started ticking and ask for their tech...
Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How many miles did they drive the car? Since they looked at your lifters and they were operating well, what did the dealership charge you for the look? I'm under the impression that diagnostic work that turns up a normal engine is on you. Some aver it just needs to be driven hard. I drove the car a few hundred miles after my last oil change and by that time the sound was less frequent, and the dealership heard nothing.

Glad to hear your engine sounds much better. Maybe a lifter adjustment? Maybe they needed to burn off some carbon? Either way, I hope that tomorrow I get something positive out my visit to the dealer. They told me to bring it back if it started ticking and ask for their tech...

They drove it about 8-10 miles. And nope they didn't charge me anything. I hear you on that, if there was absolutely nothing wrong and I was imagining something then they might charge me. I have thought getting on it more might help too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT